• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joss Whedon’s leaked ‘Wonder Woman’ screenplay is mindblowingly sexist

It's said that Whedon is "only seen as a feminist purely outta the fact that he's willing to make physically strong female leads and nothing else in a industry that wont" for a reason it seems.

This part is killing me.

You know people are trying to work in fetish shit when they focus on specific details like this more than other things. I learned that when taking art requests from people.
Yeah, I remember reading a friend's fanfic once where he was fixated on the guy being naked for the first chapter.

Like not kink shaming at all, it just stands out. It's awkward, we all do it in certain contexts (harping on something but trying to play it cool), it's just weird with fetish stuff.

Slayven

how-relationships-work-in-paradise-island-earth-1-2.png

how-relationships-work-in-paradise-island-earth-1-3.png

Not

Banned
Ummm... maybe the Wonder Woman TV show had a weird and longlasting effect on his sexual maturation?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yeah, I don't know how anyone could call Angel consistent outside of the super divisive season 4. All the other seasons frequently veer between "That was amazing" and "Holy shit that was terrible". Some of the episodes in the first three seasons are just atrocious.

No, they don't. Seasons 2 and 3 are basically non-stop fantastic.

I know hating literally everything is "your thing" but Angel is one of the most consistent genre shows ever.

(You never reply to people when they argue with you though so I don't know why I bother.)

You managed to miss that one? Lucky.
I never actually watched the special where it was "revealed" (I don't even think it aired here, though I could be wrong) but there's an article about it here - http://io9.gizmodo.com/5959794/the-firefly-episode-were-really-glad-joss-whedon-didnt-get-to-make

And executive producer Tim Minear explained about one episode that Joss Whedon pitched early on:

She had this magic syringe. She would take this drug. And if she were, for instance, raped, the rapist would die a horrible death. The story was that she gets kidnapped by Reavers and when Mal finally got to the ship to save her from the Reavers, he gets on the Reaver ship and all the Reavers are dead. Which would suggest a kind of really bad assault. At the end of the episode, he comes in after she's been horribly brutalized, and he comes in and he gets down on his knee, and he takes her hand. And he treats her like a lady. And that's the kind of stuff that we wanted to do. It was very dark. And this was actually the first story that Joss pitched to me when he asked me to come work on the show. He said, 'These are the kind of stories we're going to do.'
tenor.gif

ERotIC

Banned
A lot of people are also ignoring the fact that the people in this thread who actually bothered to read the whole script and read the excerpts in context are saying it's really not that bad.

I know it's the GAF way to jump to conclusions and faux outrage over sounbites and blogger interpretations without reading the entire context, but, you now, maybe read the script?

ZeroX03

Banned
Where is he dismissing the sexism of his script?

He wasn't asked about this particular script? What kind of comment is this? Why would he say "I had a great idea for a Wonder Woman movie I would've liked to have made, but also one confidential draft of the script had some sexism so I'd like to dismiss that element of it?"

He wasn't asked about this particular script? What kind of comment is this? Why would he say "I had a great idea for a Wonder Woman movie I would've liked to have made, but also one confidential draft of the script had some sexism so I'd like to dismiss that element of it?"
You said he's been shaky on his own script.

SomTervo

Wow. I wonder how many drafts in this was. Often the first draft is very "anything goes" before you can go back and make big decisions and improvements.

But yeah some of this sounds intensely bad

You managed to miss that one? Lucky.
I never actually watched the special where it was "revealed" (I don't even think it aired here, though I could be wrong) but there's an article about it here - http://io9.gizmodo.com/5959794/the-firefly-episode-were-really-glad-joss-whedon-didnt-get-to-make

Seeing this in context for the first time... The phrase "treating her like a lady" is wobbly, but honestly what they describe sounds like a good scene and a dark but decent as fuck plot.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Wow. I wonder how many drafts in this was. Often the first draft is very "anything goes" before you can go back and make big decisions and improvements.

But yeah some of this sounds intensely bad

Seeing this in context for the first time... The phrase "treating her like a lady" is wobbly, but honestly what they describe sounds like a good scene and a dark but decent as fuck plot.

I gotta disagree.

Despite Inara using the serum, it makes her a victim doubly over, a victim who's then treated "like a lady" by a scoundrel.

You're also then asking two actors to act that shit out in a sci fi show. Guy who played Spike on Buffy put it best - "you don't know what you're asking us to do."

SomTervo

I gotta disagree.

Despite Inara using the serum, it makes her a victim doubly over, a victim who's then treated "like a lady" by a scoundrel.

You're also then asking two actors to act that shit out in a sci fi show. Guy who played Spike on Buffy put it best - "you don't know what you're asking us to do."

Yeah but the whole scoundrel/"lady" thing was Mal/Inara's schtick.

That said, i guess this is taking it way too seriously - that scene would have been a prime and appropriate time for Mal to shake off that pretense and him/the others to take it seriously. Because it's clearly serious.

I was picturing the scene with Mal in borderline tears, they both traumatised af, but yeah ur right. It falls apart the most when you imagine the scene with Jane or Wash or someone instead of Inara.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yeah but the whole scoundrel/"lady" thing was Mal/Inara's schtick.

That said, i guess this is taking it way too seriously - that scene would have been a prime and appropriate time for Mal to shake off that pretense and him/the others to take it seriously. Because it's clearly serious.

I was picturing the scene with Mal in borderline tears, they both traumatised af, but yeah ur right. It falls apart the most when you imagine the scene with Jane or Wash or someone instead of Inara.

I just feel like it's a step too far. She doesn't need to get raped so we can see Mal loves her after all. That's some fucked up shit. "He's the one who treats her like a lady." Like dear God...

If the entire point of a rape scene or a rape is to show that Mal isn't such a bad guy...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to put a black man in a dog collar, and "science fiction lesbians with a side of bondage"

That scene is clearly meant as a culture clash moment. They're both ignorant of each other's culture and history. Do you think it's endorsing something more sinister...?

And your second point: whilst it is a colourful summary from a colourful character, it's also a pretty apt summary of the original comic. Wonder Woman's origins are tied to bondage and sex, if you'll forgive the pun.

Kinyou

That scene is clearly meant as a culture clash moment. They're both ignorant of each other's culture and history. Do you think it's endorsing something more sinister...?

And your second point: whilst it is a colourful summary from a colourful character, it's also a pretty apt summary of the original comic. Wonder Woman's origins are tied to bondage and sex, if you'll forgive the pun.
The movie we got even pays homage to that as
Gal Gadot gets tied up during the final battle. Something that happened in pretty much every issue of the original comic

ZeroX03

Banned
You said he's been shaky on his own script.

Who knows when this particular script was written, whether Whedon was happy with it, etc. He said he never wrote a script that made him and WB happy.

That really doesn't have much to do with him musing on what could've been with his version of the movie. The script was never greenlit. This isn't the script of a movie that was going to get made. He's never been in a situation where he's had to address the details of this particular draft, until now I suppose.

A lot of people are also ignoring the fact that the people in this thread who actually bothered to read the whole script and read the excerpts in context are saying it's really not that bad.

I know it's the GAF way to jump to conclusions and faux outrage over sounbites and blogger interpretations without reading the entire context, but, you now, maybe read the script?

Can't do that, there's something to be angry about and someone we will never know personally to be judged as an asshole forever over it damn it!!!

No, they don't. Seasons 2 and 3 are basically non-stop fantastic.

I know hating literally everything is "your thing" but Angel is one of the most consistent genre shows ever.

(You never reply to people when they argue with you though so I don't know why I bother.)

Yeah, no. Season 2 ended with that awful Pylea arc and then season 3 had episodes like Dad, Birthday and Provider stinking it up after Connor was born.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yeah, no. Season 2 ended with that awful Pylea arc and then season 3 had episodes like Dad, Birthday and Provider stinking it up after Connor was born.

People remember Holtz, Dark Wesley and the prophecy... then forget that rubbish where Cordelia made the Pylea guy dress like Angel while she banged him.

Watching the narrative turn of these threads self-correct towards the most simplified and self-justified of hot takes after context is provided (usually upon request DURING a self-justified hot take) is always interesting for how FAST it happens.

For as much as people seem to be upset at the notion that nobody reads

nobody reads

If you don't like thoughtful examinations of complicated topics, just wait two pages. If that.

Your chance to play one-liner slapjack will recur soon enough!

Top Bottom