• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journal Du Gamer Rumor: Half-Life 3 to be open-world?

As the thread title says, this is purely a rumor and it should be treated as such. Nevertheless, it should be fun to speculate on how an open-world Half-Life 3 would work. French gaming site Journal Du Gamer claims to have insider information on Half-Life 3's new direction. Here are some (Google-translated) tidbits:

A trusted source who wishes to remain anonymous told us yet confidential details the development of Half-Life 3. According to her, Valve has decided to make his legendary shooter game ... open-world!

According to her, Half-Life 3 FPS will always be a very action-oriented, but with many RPG elements: open-world, quests and NPCs will be waiting for you! One of the inspirations the developers would also be the series of Elder Scrolls (Skyrim, Oblivion).

You can read the whole (again, google-translated) article here.

Half-Life 3 an open-world game! What do you think people?

Man

They said 'her'. Should limit down the search greatly.

And if true it's good that Source 2.0 can handle proper streaming.

My body would be accepting.

Also given the closeness of Bethesda and Valve and Valve's obvious love of Skyrim (and how it ripped up the charts for ages), there's a level on which this wouldn't be surprising. It does run counter to some things Gabe and others have said about the general direction Valve's interested in going, though.

SparkTR

I doubt it, in fact I'm certain this isn't true. It'll be more open sure, but open-world with Skyrim style quests? Nah, but gotta get dem page views.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Morrowind style zone loading returns, only on Source.

Dennis

Banned
If it is open world you have my permission to spend as long time as you like Valve.

If it is linear like Half-Life 2 just push it out the door.

Call of Pripyat >>>> Half-Baked 2

Relyt

Hum, I'm french and this site is all but professionnal, just another unknown blog. I don't think this so called source can be trusted...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Would be a great way to show they got their shit together in terms of map load/streaming, instead of running into an invisible LOADING wall every 2 minutes.

Would still prefer the way the games were more focused and adventure-y but In Valve I Trust.

Lakitu

st5fu
That time of the month is it? A new Half-Life 3 rumour appears and is debunked within 3 days by some tweet from someone associated with Valve. Then we all go back to sobbing into our drinks.

Dennis

Banned
That time of the month is it? A new Half-Life 3 rumour appears and is debunked within 3 days by some tweet from someone associated with Valve. Then we all go back to shrugging our shoulders.
fixed

Valvebots are the worst. Half-Life 3 would have to be the Second Coming of Christ at this point.

Truant

Morrowind style zone loading returns, only on Source.

I chuckled, but we all know HL3 will be a game-changer in terms of both gameplay and technology.

Open world seems like a logical step. Valve mastered the linear shooter twice, they don't have to prove themselves. We already saw hints at open world with Episode 2.

I enjoyed the atmosphere of C17 at the beginning of HL2 but I didn't really care for the more open-areas as much.

No thanks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
brb filtering through Dennis' post history to find a thinly veiled excuse to perma ban

Teletraan1

Banned
I just hope they don't add Gordon's annoying cousin who keeps phoning you to go to a strip club to go see some big Vortigaunt titties.

DieH@rd

Banned
Ahhh Gordon Freeman! Im in trouble, can you kill 5 head-crabs and bring their claws to me? I need to make some experiments on them. Reward is 50 shotgun shells or 100 combinebucks.

Accept
YES/NO

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Not too enthused about the idea of making Half-Life open world, but I'm sure Valve would craft a good game regardless.

Of course I'm still ticked off at the inevitability that we're not getting Episode 3 and instead jumping straight to HL3.

My only hope is that it's purely a single player game.

No Alyx tarting about and things like that.

I'm all for playing with friends but in franchises that did that from the ground-up.

Open world seems like a logical step. Valve mastered the linear shooter twice, they don't have to prove themselves. We already saw hints at open world with Episode 2.

Yup. Much of Half-Life 2 and most of Episode 2 were more like a road trip than a traditional linear campaign. There were clear indications that Valve wanted people to explore, but maybe their tech wasn't ready at the time.

That would be awesome. So the evolution of the FPS genre will be open world.

Good that we can see the end of this:

fpsmapdesign.jpg

Top Bottom