• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journal Du Gamer Rumor: Half-Life 3 to be open-world?

Valve has decided to make his game...? Has Valve, the company, finally gained sentience through billions of dollars of research invested into AI through hat sales?

Hanmik

Sony just tweeted that it is true..

lusZc.jpg

I have no idea what he is tweeting, but it certainly isn´t HL3 related..

Yup. Much of Half-Life 2 and most of Episode 2 were more like a road trip than a traditional linear campaign. There were clear indications that Valve wanted people to explore, but maybe their tech wasn't ready at the time.

That's another reason this idea doesn't seem completely out there. It would be a logical step, especially after HL2 Ep2. Even Half-Life 1 felt like it wanted to be more open than it was.

The only stumbling block I can see is that it could end up feeling a bit too much like modern Fallout, which is basically "a shooter with RPG elements". And I have no idea how you'd keep Gordon entirely silent during something like this. And the man totally has to stay silent.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Interesting change of direction if true. As with every Valve-related rumour, though, that's a big "if".

An open world City 17 would be aweeeesome.

Atmosphere will be killer, whatever it is.

Well, (Episode One spoiler)
the explosion caused by the destruction of the Citadel, at the end of Episode One, took City 17 with it

mandiller

"Gordon, I need you to kill 10 headcrabs."

If we trusted every anonymous rumour we ever heard the internet would break down. I very much doubt Half-Life will go open world with RPG elements. Half-Life has always been about fine tuned level design, problem solving and story. If they made an open world RPG game it wouldn't be Half-Life anymore.

xenist

You know what?

I say go for it. I would love to see how Valve would approach a heavily systems based game. The possibilities are mouth watering.

Rehynn

Not sure if want. To me, HL2 was a perfect blend of linear road trip adventure and exploration with great variety.

Luthos

Ehhh.

An open world could be awesome. But RPGish with quests and stuff? I'm not sure I would dig that, and I fucking love RPGs. Also, I highly doubt Valve would change things this much.

Micerider

They said 'her'. Should limit down the search greatly.

I think it's a mistranslation.

The word "Source" in French has a feminine gender. So, in the text, when they refer to the "source", they refer to "elle" (she) but it's in no way indicative of the gender of the person behind the source ;)

Read the original article, and it's not so clear if the source is THAT reliable really, so I'd really emphasize on "RUMOR".

an open world half life game where those black headcrabs could be anywhere instead of just the next room up ahead, yea ill be sure to have my mom on speed dial through the whole thing if this is true

TUROK

... in the way that they don't?
Ugh.

In Doom (the game that 1993 map is from), you have to approach everything in order to pass the level. You have to get one key first, then the second, then the third. It's always in the same order. You don't get to approach things in different ways, it's either you follow the order of the objectives or you stay stuck in the level. It's linear, but in a different way.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
They said 'her'. Should limit down the search greatly.

And if true it's good that Source 2.0 can handle proper streaming.

The word "source" is probably female in french, so "her" is not directed at the gender of the source.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That would be awesome. So the evolution of the FPS genre will be open world.

Good that we can see the end of this:

fpsmapdesign.jpg

Not that I don't understand what this picture is trying to imply, but for me personally Doom is just, like, a really really terrible example of level design. Terrible. Confusing layout, "take this key to open that door" all over the place, etc etc. I know it is unfair to subject a 1993 game to current standards of gaming, but nonetheless I just can't play it again without getting annoyed from top to bottom due to its shortcomings.

Ugh.

In Doom (the game that 1993 map is from), you have to approach everything in order to pass the level. You have to get one key first, then the second, then the third. It's always in the same order. You don't get to approach things in different ways, it's either you follow the order of the objectives or you stay stuck in the level. It's linear, but in a different way.

When there's multiple keys, you often have to look around and explore. Linear doesn't just mean solving the level in a linear way, it also means just walking down a coridoor and shooting things, which a lot of modern FPS's entail. Also in Doom, there's loads of secrets to uncover, encouraging more exploration and backtracking.

Corto

Ugh.

Exactly. It's more of a maze in terms of the level construction but the progression of the player actions is completely linear. The complexity it's on the level design.

xenist

Exactly. It's more of a maze in terms of the level construction but the progression of the player actions is completely linear. The complexity it's on the level design.

As opposed to modern FPS games where complexity isn't present anywhere. Not in level deisgn, not in gameplay, not in story.

Hypron

No thanks. I like open world games when done right (STALKER) but that's not what I expect from a half life game. And taking inspiration from The Elder Scrolls? Hell no, that's the last thing I want.

"open-world, quests and NPCs will be waiting for you! One of the inspirations the developers would also be the series of Elder Scrolls (Skyrim, Oblivion)."

Oh please god no. The only way this can actually happen is when EA successfully buys out Valve.

Please god no rumor about HL3. Its sooo fucking annoying to read rumors about a game that is 6 years in development and valve doesnt even talk about it.

Ein Bear

I hope it's not true, I'm not much of a fan of open world shooters. Instead of the rollercoaster ride of HL2, you'd do something fun... Then have to spend half an hour walking to get to the next bit. Just strikes me as artificial gameplay padding.

Saty

Yeah, no. Especially if it's supposed to be riddled with side quests. How the hell do you that with the story of HL. Mankind is facing its biggest threat but hold on some prick wants to bring him X number of Y before he gives you whatever you need to save everybody's ass.

It would only work if it's something like it's taking place in the Arctic, Combine ship crashing down with its debris flung in a wide radius so you need to retrieve some pieces and choosing which crash area to visit.

NPC's with a mind of their own when they are supposed to be part of the Resistance or simple citizens at camps is a big no-no.

Top Bottom