• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey (PSN) - thatgamecompany's new game!!! (Game Releases in Spring 2012)

Despera

Banned
Oneself said:
I hope we'll get a little teaser trailer soon at least.

*Shivers down my spine*

I find this game's concept extremely interesting and I've been following it for quite some time now. Hopefully a trailer is up soo...

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Would like to see it in motion even if it is a minute or two. I'm looking forward to this title so much.

Feep

Banned
I applied to be part of the beta-test. I used my PSN ID, but I don't have a PS3 or actively use the system.

Shhhh. Don't tell them.

If I get in, I will share secretz! *GAF bro fist*

Amir0x

Banned
I love how worthlessly big picture the board is. :lol

HOPE. REGRET. DON'T TELL OTHERS.

Relevant.jpg

Also, 2 player mode. Is it relevant to people?

Amir0x

Banned
well, i mean, they both makes games if that's what you mean.

they're similar in that both their games come out for PS3

erm, that's all

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amir0x said:
Also, 2 player mode. Is it relevant to people?

They said before that while playing the game you'd run into others playing the game also. I guess they're considering a limit of two, or two paired together at any one time. Probably to maintain the feeling of isolation etc. if not also because it's just technically easier :p

Amir0x

Banned
well, maybe the Journey MIGHT, but I'm honestly not sure how Flower OR Flow share any even remote similarities with Team ICO's games. Honestly, you could not have games further in tone or gameplay if you tried. Not just in terms of quality, but in terms of aesthetic style, gameplay type, overall feel and mood. The contrast is dramatic. Honestly, it's just nitpicking, but there is no way they are similar to Team ICO at this point.

We'll see if Journey shares some similarities.

gofreak said:
They said before that while playing the game you'd run into others playing the game also. I guess they're considering a limit of two, or two paired together at any one time. Probably to maintain the feeling of isolation etc. if not also because it's just technically easier :p

Yeah I've read what they said about it. The limit is definitely 2, almost 100% sure they've said that's all. And that's because they didn't want it to pollute the atmosphere with people running about teabagging each other. They said with 2 players, you really try to learn about each other. Which is even more abstracted because of the limited communication. Personally not every game needs a multiplayer, but I'm glad this one will have this. I think it'll make the experience especially unique.

Majine

Banned
Amir0x said:
well, maybe the Journey MIGHT, but I'm honestly not sure how Flower OR Flow share any even remote similarities with Team ICO's games. Honestly, you could not have games further in tone if you tried.
Honestly, if Tico made downloadable titles, I'd expect somethin akin to what TGC does. Oh well, I'm crazy.

Amir0x

Banned
maybe you mean in terms of the minimalistic gameplay design? They do share that philosophy I guess. I think I understand you now...

StuBurns

Banned
The gameplay design in Ico and SotC is very dense, you can really do quite a lot. The environments you inhabit are quite barren though.

Other than the fact both studios are awesome, I don't see much they have in common. Ico and Flower both tried to tell a story without the use of language. Ico has it in terms of the greater plot, but not the relationship, which is what is meant to be driving the player's actions is mute. One other thing is a preference for minimal to no UI.

PoP'08 has far more in common with Ico than something like Flower.

Amir0x said:
well, maybe the Journey MIGHT, but I'm honestly not sure how Flower OR Flow share any even remote similarities with Team ICO's games. Honestly, you could not have games further in tone or gameplay if you tried. Not just in terms of quality, but in terms of aesthetic style, gameplay type, overall feel and mood. The contrast is dramatic. Honestly, it's just nitpicking, but there is no way they are similar to Team ICO at this point.

We'll see if Journey shares some similarities.

Yeah I've read what they said about it. The limit is definitely 2, almost 100% sure they've said that's all. And that's because they didn't want it to pollute the atmosphere with people running about teabagging each other. They said with 2 players, you really try to learn about each other. Which is even more abstracted because of the limited communication. Personally not every game needs a multiplayer, but I'm glad this one will have this. I think it'll make the experience especially unique.

I thought he was refering to the fact that like Team ICO, they design beautiful experiences that aren't like anything you have played before

Amir0x said:
maybe you mean in terms of the minimalistic gameplay design? They do share that philosophy I guess. I think I understand you now...

Yeah, I think that's it for me. They both create games based on like single abstract concepts like, flow, nature, loneliness, journey. Then they irrigate that concept with gameplay that fits.

God, I love both these houses!

Yeah, it definitely looked gorgeous. Too bad that they still didn't even an indication of how it plays. Just shots of players wandering across desert environments.

BeeDog said:
I truly hope Journey has more to it than Flower. :/
I guess...but I still hope its $9.99. I felt flower gave a good amount of value for that price. Personally, I would love for devs to try and make the best 9.99 game they can. Stay in that realm of value. It might sound dumb to some people, but giving too much content and subsequently having to raise the price to accommodate development costs, negates the point of downloadable games. So if Journey isn't a substantial package, but offers a great short experience (2-4 hours), that would be ideal to me.

V_Ben

Banned
Sony Press Event happening in London soon. ND and Insomniac are there too. Dunno if we'll see any new announcements though.

Top Bottom