• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JPCSP - Excellent PSP emulation, support improving all the time! |PICS|

Zenith

Banned
To go with our Dolphin and PCSX2 threads. PSP emulation is rather advanced. It's still not as efficient or bugfree as PCSX2 but because PSP games are so much less taxing on your computer it doesn't matter as much. I'm halfway through Ace Combat X and it runs at full speed.

What you will need:

JPCSP (32bit is recommended even on a 64bit system. Some features like FMVs are not supported otherwise)
http://jpcsp.org/

Java Runtime Environment (J in JPCSP is for Java)
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

JPCSP Launcher (improves stability)
http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=977&pid=2009#pid2009

Sony Sonicstage 4.3 (apparently needed for sound but yet to encounter an issue)
http://support.sony-europe.com/DNA/downloads/downloads.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&f=sstage_dl

No BIOS needed, no laws broken!

Some recommended settings:

|Video|
[x] Only GE graphhics (not recommended for homebrew)
[x] Use vertex cache
[X] Use shaders (experimental)
[-] Use a Geometry Shader for 2D rendering (only relevant when using shaders)
[-] Disable UBO (automatically disabled if not supported, only relevant when using shaders)
[X] Enable VAO (only relevant when using shaders and vertex cache)
[x] Enable saving GE screen to Textures instead of Memory
[X] Enable decoding of indexed textures (using CLUT) in shader (only relevant when using shaders)
[X] Enable dynamic shader generation (only relevant when using shaders rec for AMD/ATI)

|Media|
[x] Use Media Engine (Works only with 32bit JPCSP)
[-] Extract media files to tmp folder
[x] Decode audio files with sonic stage (you must have ss installed for this to work)
[x] Use non-native fonts from flash0 folder

|Compiler|
[x] Use compiler (dynarec)
[-] Output profiler into to profiler.txt (only for compiler)
[50] Maximum method size

Naturally varies from system to system. Nvidia is more supported than ATI. Unlike PCSX2 where you configured it once and that was enough for 95% of games you may need to play with the settings more between each game.

Games that are playable:

Dissidia
Dissidia Duodecim
Ace Combat X
The 3rd Birthday - Parasite Eve 3
Crisis Core FFVII
God of War: Chains of Olympus

Games that are not:

Metal Gear Solids

The good news is is that you can add AA, FSAA and jack up the resolution on games.

KOsER.jpg

87LDc.jpg

BJ7z7.jpg

NywYT.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
papersleeves said:
That is nice. I'm not too sure how should I dump my PSP games though.

Connect via USB with CFW->USB mode: UMD->?????????...?????....????....?????->PROFIT!

Also, while a nice effort: It's in Java and AFAIK that doesn't help emulations too well.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
That screenshot shows it running at around 20 fps. My guess is that it's "playable" in the loosest sense.

"playable" in emulation means you can play through the whole game with few problems, even if it's not full speed.

I wanna see Phantasy Star Portable 2 on this thing.

TheExodu5

Banned
If I could somehow play Monster Hunter online with a friend using this, I'd be very happy. I doubt that's possible at the moment. ;_;

Smision said:
"playable" in emulation means you can play through the whole game with few problems, even if it's not full speed.

I wanna see Phantasy Star Portable 2 on this thing.
I know what it means. Now, knowing that, most people on this board want to play games at a framerate that is at least equal to playing it on the psp, if not at an even faster fps. For most, this is not "playable" enough, if you will.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Fascinating. I've always wondered when PSP emulation would start to take off. I'm very curious to see how it runs.

Crisis Core in 1080p + AA = A good time
Based on those shots, the HUD and text elements are messed up and the framerate is very low (the average is 20 fps, but the current FPS in that shot is 6 fps).

Sectus

I am most intrigued. Although... java? That's a bit unfortunate. But well, if it isn't that taxing regardless, I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Grinchy

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
If I could somehow play Monster Hunter online with a friend using this, I'd be very happy. I doubt that's possible at the moment. ;_;
I would love that. Not only would the emulation hopefully give a visual improvement, but also I don't have my PS3 connected via wire.

It's insane to me that a huge game like Monster Hunter or Peace Walker is only playable online if you have a PSP, PS3 and a wired connection. WTF mate?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What kind of HW were those screens taken with? I would imagine some tweaks would present an easy 60fps gain unless the emulations is still too early to get to that point. I imagine you can brute force a better FR with a good SB CPU and AMD/ATI card no? But again, some setting tweaks would be nice.

Nice OT too. Good start and look forward to more technical updates or at least seeing a thread for this to see how and when it takes shape.

jett

D-Member
Freedom = $1.05 said:
That screenshot shows it running at around 20 fps. My guess is that it's "playable" in the loosest sense.

Actually it's running at 6. :lol

I don't think this is playable at all.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
I know what it means. Now, knowing that, most people on this board want to play games at a framerate that is at least equal to playing it on the psp, if not at an even faster fps. For most, this is not "playable" enough, if you will.

But you can't play at a faster FPS than the native system without speeding up the game on an emulator, that I know of. You can improve games that run unstable fps though.

DieH@rd

Banned
Its a nice thing that they are still working on this project. I checked it out few years ago when it was still in its infancy [barely loading few games].

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How do I dump my games then? I have a PSP that isn't hacked and has very recent firmware (though not the latest). Most of my games are off PSN though currently only PW is downloaded/installed and you mention it won't work. My only UMD games are Tekken DR and WRC (came with the system). If it's doable it's time to redownload some of my other games like VC2 and MHFU which I stopped playing partly because my PSP's screen is borked with vertical lines all over certain areas that don't seem to go away...

Eh, no way I'd play them in such high res/fullscreen modes though, small native res windows to hide all those pixelly textures ftw, just add AA/AF.

Smision said:
aside from the obvious differences in textures/geometry and 2D hud, the IQ on that screen is cleaner than either console version of it!
No kidding. Sub-HD console ports FTL.
Surprised how well this holds up with less geometry and improved resolution/IQ.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
LiquidMetal14 said:
What kind of HW were those screens taken with? I would imagine some tweaks would present an easy 60fps gain unless the emulations is still too early to get to that point. I imagine you can brute force a better FR with a good SB CPU and AMD/ATI card no? But again, some setting tweaks would be nice.
My original post, someone please link me or elaborate on your HW. I have more than adequate HW to run the few Wii games I have and PCSX2 at full speed minus some glitches with emulation. There are plenty with my same 4.5ghz/6950/6970/GTX560/70/80 combo. We know we can kill almost all games and any emulator.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Abominable Snowman said:
No offense, but why does all the games/vids, even the "super smooth" one, have bad frame rates? Is it a technicality with the emu or the systems are weaker?

Java.

Plus "early emulator."

but mostly Java.

Dudes should be using C and the like for better coding, but I can see why they would want to use Java: Easier to port the emulator to OS X/Linux/'doze.

TheSeks said:
Java.

Plus "early emulator."

but mostly Java.

Dudes should be using C and the like for better coding, but I can see why they would want to use Java: Easier to port the emulator to OS X/Linux/'doze.
Oh I skipped that part. Thanks. I was halfway expecting a snarky response.

Are there any plans on porting the code over to C or any other lower level language? I don't have a 4.5GHz i7 Processor but I run most Wii and many PS2 games very, very smoothly, with 30FPS solid if not 60FPS solid.

Luigiv

TheSeks said:
Java.

Plus "early emulator."

but mostly Java.

Don't worry, there's already a guy who's actively porting JPCSP into C. He calls his build PCSP. You'll need to put up with delayed releases, though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, that FF-Type Zero shot from the previous post is super impressive. I'm amazed that they were able to display textures of such high quality on a PSP. The textures there are even sharper than what you'd commonly see on systems like Dreamcast.

Lactose_Intolerant said:
Yeah, the only thing wrong is its in Java. They have a lot more people that work on the Java version than the C version.

I don't even like having the Java RTE installed on my machine. It's a popular vector for malware and viruses.

Lesiroth

Impressive, although it's still far from usable IMO. Still very slow in many games, some games don't start up yet, graphical corruption, etc..

Here's hoping for more rapid improvements.

jman2050

"Oh wow, a PSP emulator finally, and it sounds like it's pretty solid, I'm gonna check this ou--"

*Java*

"Why?!?!"

At least someone is smart enough to port this to a non-crappy language (for this particular type of software at least)

Top Bottom