• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JRPG Community Game-Along: My backlog, let me show you it

redcrayon

I'm making a concerted effort to get through some JRPGs this year since buying a Vita. Currently about halfway through Valkyria Chronicles 2, and have FFX and Child of Light lined up next. Plus SMTIV finally releases here in the summer.

So far this year I've also played through:
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Persona 4G
Demon Gaze
Bravely Default
Dragon's Crown

Meanwhile, I'm kinda glad that the reduced 3DS output this year has kept my backlog there to a minimum, after I spent most of 2013 playing on it, but I'm still looking at a backlog of
Etrian Odyssey Untold
Virtue's Last Reward
Devil Survivor: Overclocked
Devil Survivor 2
Radiant Historia.

Still, it's not too bad as a backlog. I've cleared loads of games in the last couple of years.

Faustek

Aw, thanks! I had no idea so many people would enjoy these when I started back in January!

... I figured people would either really appreciate that screenshot or immediately hit the "x" button on the thread after seeing it lol

Hah, well I've never gotten those suits. It just reminds me of sweaty people exercising.

Take it easy and grind. That's my standard advice for most JRPGs.

Seeing as you said the same for Trails in the Sky I'm seriously doubting you should give advice.
Don't get me wrong I'm a 100% in my RPGs but advising grinding when its not necessary and also to people who are beginners? Instead of detailing how to use the tools given in the game? Thats just bad form.

Oh yeah, so I might as well jot down some quick impressions of what I've played of Xillia so far. Though I liked Graces f enough when I originally played it, I didn't realize just how much worse its characters were until I started playing Xillia. The relief I felt when the first two characters it introduced me to were actually likeable! And though in some ways everyone's begun to fall into obvious tropes (Jude's the
naive do-gooder
, Milla's the
fallen god learning to be human
, etc.) there's a decent enough back-and-forth in the dialogue that it hasn't become cringeworthy the way Graces f did, especially during the fanfic-esque Future arc.

Can't comment too much on the combat, as I'm probably more of a button-masher than most Tales players and thus never truly got the most out of Graces f's apparently superior battle system. I do like that Xillia carries over what I thought were Graces f's nice additions, namely the ability to hit more than three or four times in a combo (using a CC-like system) and the ability to execute artes endlessly if you know what you're doing (though the game does keep the TP system unlike Graces, it's just much easier to keep yours replenished).

Overall, I think I've enjoyed this Tales more than any of the ones I've played since Vesperia, which was my first. We'll see if it takes me for a ride like Vesperia did; back then, as a newcomer to the series (and to JRPGs in general really), playing through Vesperia was nuts because I expected the game to end in at least two places, only to discover I wasn't even close to done both times.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Geez.. .my RPG backlog is probably bigger than most of you folks' whole game collections...

Shizuka

Seeing as you said the same for Trails in the Sky I'm seriously doubting you should give advice.
Don't get me wrong I'm a 100% in my RPGs but advising grinding when its not necessary and also to people who are beginners? Instead of detailing how to use the tools given in the game? Thats just bad form.

Last I played was January 2011, all I can remember is how I went for all quests, all bosses and not running away from a single fight. I remember that Quartz placement is fundamental, but I won't risk giving advice that I might not remember too well.

I am currently playing Bravely Default. Chapter 1 not very far in at all

JRPG Backlog (of games I actually intend to finish)

Demon Gaze
Tales of Zillia
Final Fantasy X-2 HD (Vita)
Xenoblade
Tactics Ogre (PSP)

and many, MANY more that I don't plan on going back to.

Faustek

Last I played was January 2011, all I can remember is how I went for all quests, all bosses and not running away from a single fight. I remember that Quartz placement is fundamental, but I won't risk giving advice that I might not remember too well.

Thing in TiTs was that you get like 1xp per kill later in the game. Totally not worth grinding for.
But yes, doing all the quests are essential and true I thought you meant grind as in fight which is...yeah 1xp per kill :D But hey, I'm in the same boat I don't remember much of the game mechanics to actually advise on them. Haven't played it proper for perhaps 2 years?

On/Offtopic: I'm a fucking idiot and I fucking hate wordsmiths and I plan on breaking 2 arms of the idiot who worded the sale on the Terranigma cartridge to me as Original..."Original(psst original rom dump)" I paid fucking €200 for a worthless piece of plastic -.-

yes I'm sending it back and getting my money back, the seller had no problem with that but I'm still pissed as hell and the only other seller who is actually selling one wants €350 for it. This time I'm driving to the place and checking out everything in person though. Not trusting "original/Mint Condition" without touching it myself.

Now that the World Cup isn't as frequent as earlier I'll have time for videogames again. This thread is a good opportunity to clear an RPG from my backlog.

It'll be The Last Story.

Faustek

Now that the World Cup isn't as frequent as earlier I'll have time for videogames again. This thread is a good opportunity to clear an RPG from my backlog.

It'll be The Last Story.

Nice.
Did Nintendo/Xseed take down the online component? If so did the homebrew online channel support The Last Story as well? Wondering because I never completed the online portion.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I'm playing Persona 4 Golden at the moment, going for new game + to platinum it. After that, back to Atelier Totori, then go straight to Meruru.

My backlog tales of Xillia and Tales of Symphonia untouched....

Nice.
Did Nintendo/Xseed take down the online component? If so did the homebrew online channel support The Last Story as well? Wondering because I never completed the online portion.
I guess so, there's no online for Wii anymore. I'm a single player kinda guy though so no worries.

yami4ct

Guess I'll post my first Tales of Vesperia update. To give folks that have also played it a good idea of where I am, when I first restarted the game I just left the big Krityan city and now I've made it all the way to the Shrine of Zaude.

Story wise, Vesperia is pretty great. It's one of the best overall Tales stories of what I've played so far. The whole conflict is pretty interesting and the cast is great. I actually like Xillia's cast a bit more overall (Rowan and Milla in particular are just awesome), but Vesperia's cast is no slouch. The game gives you a great reason to care about each of the characters and their problems. Yurii is a great protagonist as well. It's nice to see a Tale's protagonist not agonize over whether or not fighting is the right thing to do. I do think the story has hit a bit of a hiccup through the last 5 or so hours I've played. The whole
rescue Estelle
arc went on way, way too long and had too many twists that the game didn't really build up enough to count.
Raven being a knight captain
sticks out in particular. Still loving it overall.

Gameplay wise, Vesperia unfortunately doesn't age well compared to Graces and Xillia. The combat feels slow and a bit disjointed, I really miss the way you can on the fly chain artes together in the newer games. Now it becomes a game of learning one specific long combo and executing over and over rather than adjusting to the situation. The biggest problem so far, though, is that the freaking took away my healer for way too long. That's a cardinal sin for me in RPGs. Having a healer in Tales games feels like almost a requirement for boss battles, and losing them more than half way through the game for a good 5+ hours really hurts the pacing. The other, mostly minor, gameplay complaint I have is that you can't skip cutscenes. That sucks when you have a long cutscene before a boss, lose, and have to watch it all over again. Very frustrating.

So, yeah, this post was a bit long. Any others I'll do on this game will be smaller status updates, so I won't be so wordy going forward. Even with my complaints so far, I really do love the game and it's really been worth playing.

Shizuka

Gonna do Earthbound instead of Rorona Plus, I hope I don't regret it since it's my first vacation in a year.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
JRPG Backlog
Bravely Default
Project X Zone
Record of Agarest War Zero
Witch and the Hundred Nights
Persona 4 Golden
MegaTen Devil Survivor 2

Currently working thorugh Xenoblade Chronicles

Vylash

I've played the vanilla Rorona before and it's not like I'm never going back to R+, it'll only be a week or two.

jbcpX5Zg9gzC5O.jpg

TriAceJP

I've been playing through Lufia 2 on the SNES for whatever reason. Nostalgia maybe? I really like that game.

I also picked up Mind Zero for the Vita. I heard it was a Persona 4 clone, which I was totally okay with. What I am not okay with is the silly still portrait/text box as the presentation of the game. It screams lazy. The few times where you do get actual graphical control are very underwhelming. The only character models I've seen in the game (battles) are pretty low-grade. I don't know, I may return it.

I finished Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, got the True Ending and I don't know how to feel about the game, it has good characters and the plot is decent, but the dungeon recycling(you play the same 4-5 dungeons a million times), millions of quests that I ignored because they were boring, boring enemy design, AWFUL Scout system, boss recycling(the game even makes fun of it), and framerate drops that were insane at times really make it a subpar experience.

And yet here I am, thinking that I enjoyed the game, they should REALLY focus on what they do best and not try to make it a long ass JRPG with many quests and stupid crap, the game already took me about 40 hours to clear and I did near to no side stuff, it doesn't need the filler.

cafemomo

My current jRPG backlog

SFC
Bahamut Lagoon

PC
Final Fanatasy VII
Last Remenant

DS
Xenosaga I+II

I was about 25% into Bahamut but didn't finish it since my controller broke.

The others I haven't started yet

bryt

Backlog

PS3
FFX-2
Tales of Symphonia HD
Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World HD

Vita
Demon Gaze

This should take awhile to get through since I usually get all the trophies when I play a game.

I'm probably not going to go through my backlog to find what JRPGs I haven't beaten yet, but I was playing through Chrono Trigger for the very first time last week! Shovel Knight came out and I just never got back to it. Should try to beat it this month.

ethanny2

Backlog~

PC:
The Last Remnant
(That's it....)

3DS/DS:
Rune Factory 4
SMT:Strange Journey
SMT:Devil Survivor Overclocked
Etrian Odyssey IV
Radiant Historia
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
Dragon Quest XI
Tales of the Abyss
Bravely Default

360:
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Resonance of Fate
Tales of Vesperia

Playing:...
Rune+Facotry+4.jpg

I want to actually finish a JRPG this summer but RF4 keeps sucking me in, I can literally play 6 hrs without being bored, there is just so much to do. On a side note,
I was really surprised you could marry Amber... She's a kid geez, and you can't marry Lin Fa or Illuminata

ethanny2

Rune Factory usually doesn't let you marry adults, I was so sad I couldn't marry Hazel in 3

That's weird, this is my first Rune Factory, I mean the MC looks like a teenager 16-17 at best maybe 15 at youngest, Amber looks (and acts) like a 4 year old. Oh, well I still have Forte.

My backlog is extensive and many of these games I'll never even attempt to play to completion.

Blue Dragon - I don't own a system to play it on and I have to borrow one from a friend.

Saturn
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers

SNES
Last Bible III
Majin Tensei II: Spiral Nemesis
Shin Megami Tensei - Got pretty far into it.
Shin Megami Tensei II

Wii
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower
Xenoblade Chronicles

Game Boy Advance
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - I never liked the atmosphere or the the new mechanics.
Final Fantasy V Advance - Played the game on multiple systems. Never finished it though.
Shin Megami Tensei: DemiKids - Dark Version - It's better than I expected it to be.
Shin Megami Tensei: DemiKids - Light Version

Nintendo DS
The Dark Spire - I'm a few floors in.
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift - Shrinkwrapped. I want to finish the first game before starting this.
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer - Played it for a while.
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 - Got tired of it by the third day.
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - In chapter 2. I was distracted by holiday celebrations.
The World Ends with You - Too hectic for me.

Nintendo 3DS
Crimson Shroud - Still in chapter 1. I should get back to it or rather replay it from the beginning.
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan - I've played a few hours of it. It's good, but also very similar to the first three games.
Inazuma Eleven GO: Light - Bought it last week and I'll get to it soon.
Project X Zone - I'm curious about some of its battle mechanics and it's nice to see some of my old favorite characters. I doubt I'll ever finish it.

iPhone
Shin Megami Tensei - This game really needs automatic save states whenever the app shuts down.

PlayStation
Arc the Lad II
Arc the Lad III
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - RPG? I don't know.
Chrono Cross
Dragon Warrior VII - Stopped playing it when the 3DS version was announced.
Final Fantasy V
Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete
Ogre Battle: Limited Edition
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Vagrant Story - It's great even though I never reached the end.

PlayStation 2
Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia - Playing it right now.
Ar tonelico II: Melody of Metafalica
Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana - A few hours in.
Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny
Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - Played it multiple time without getting close to the end.
Dark Cloud
EverGrace
King's Field IV - Played it on an emulator slightly sped up with customized controls. It's borderline unplayable on a PS2.
Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis
Odin Sphere
Ring of Red
Rogue Galaxy
Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII
Shadow Hearts: From the New World
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Suikoden Tactics

PlayStation 3
Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel
Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky - Year 4. Escha adventurer level 53, alchemist level 49. Completed all regular assignments.
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Abandoned it after an hour or two.
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International

PlayStation Portable
The 3rd Birthday - Episode 3. Playing on easy and it's still quite challenging, maybe I'm missing something.
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness - Stuck on "Laharl's Challenge".
Elminage Original
Half-Minute Hero
Knights in the Nightmare
Riviera: The Promised Land
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Valkyria Chronicles II
Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone

PlayStation Vita
Ys: Memories of Celceta - My Vita is dead and I'm waiting for a good price for the slim model.

From Sega Mega Drive: Ultimate Collection and PSN
Breath of Fire III
Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection
Fatal Labyrinth
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Shining Force
Shining Force II: Ancient Sealing
Shining in the Darkness

Man, totally missed this thread even though I'd been playing stuff for the month.

Been playing The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki Evolution for this month since Sen no Kiseki II is only a few months away now (HYPE).

For those of you not in the know, it's the fifth game in the series started by Trails in the Sky.

I played the original PSP version, but full voice acting and screenshot capabilities make all the difference!

BriBq9wCYAEpNxm.jpg:large

BrstzxECMAESC2R.jpg:large

Love these characters so hard.

Onislash

Well, lets see

Playstation 1

Breath of Fire IV
Saga Frontier 2
Vandal Hearts

Playstation 2

Arc: Twlight of the Spirits
Atelier Iris: Grand Phantasm
Jade Cocoon 2 - Disk only seems to work some times but want to finish
Odin Sphere
Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus
Rogue Galaxy
Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity - How is this? Can not remember a thing.
Suikoden Tactics
Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria
Wild Arms 5
Xenosaga Episode 2

PlayStation 3

Agarest Generations of War 2
Ar Tonelico: Knell of Ar Ciel - May try again with Ode to a Unknown Star coming soon
Atelier Ayesha
Atelier Escha and Logy
Atelier Meruru
Disgaea D2
The Guided Fate Paradox
Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk 2
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
Mugen Souls
Mugen Souls Z
Tales of Xillia - The sequel is next month right? Perfect.
White Knight Chronicles 2

PSP

Blazing Souls: Accelate
Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time
Jeanne D'Arc
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Riveria
Star Ocean: Second Departure
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
Valhalla Knights
Valhalla Knights 2

PSV

Conception 2
Demon Gaze

Wii

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower
Xenoblade Chronicles

NDS

Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest VI
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Lunar Genesis - WHHHHHYYYY did I buy this? My only regret.
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
Valkyrie Profile: Convent of the Plume

3DS

Bravely Default
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Project X Zone

I have bolded the two I wish to play. On a side note, I should not get sequels when I havent beaten the first
No regrets for Atelier

crobuzon

Neo Member
I started Nocturne, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy Tactics within a month of each other for the first time + I've got other JRPGs I haven't finished. Urgh. I can do this, I hope.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
2014 has been the year of classic JRPGs for me.

Currently juggling these three:

Suikoden

Wild Arms

Legend of Dragoon

Recently finished these:

Star Ocean: First Departure

Star Ocean: Second Evolution (well, almost)

Tales of Phantasia

Suikoden V

Stuff that got put on the backburner for whatever reason:

Growlanser IV

Tactics Ogre

Persona 2: Innocent Sin (I may never go back to this)

Out of the games I'm playing, Suikoden is probably my favorite. Tales of Phantasia takes the number one spot for games I've recently completed, and I suppose Tactics Ogre is the most enjoyable of the three I have in limbo right now.

Shiokazu

oh, i didnt knew about this. sweet!

i just beat Ys Ark of Napishtim.

i've been out of JRPG gaming since a lot of time... i dont know much JRPGs that i can play on PC, and since i only got a Nintendo DS (Lite) right now as console... my options feel a little down.

i've been playing on it Radiant Historia, Etrian 3 and FF4HotL.

Vylash

i've been out of JRPG gaming since a lot of time... i dont know much JRPGs that i can play on PC, and since i only got a Nintendo DS (Lite) right now as console... my options feel a little down.

DS has like 5 million JRPGs

Marche90

So, I finally joined! Last time I said I was playing something... which in the end I didn't. This time around I have two games in the pipeline: Atelier Escha & Logy + Ar Tonelico (the first one on PS2) (7 hours and 1 1/2 hours poured in, respectively)

Now to see if I can finish at least one of those.

If worst comes to the worst, I'll just finish Persona 4 for the third time, since I'm at the second to last dungeon.

I was going to tell you to play EO3 but it seems like you are already doing so, good taste. :)

If you want more DS JRPGs there's Dragon Quest V and TWEWY.

I'm going to replay Xenoblade soon and will make a list of what makes the game so great in terms of design and streamlining the experience.

After that I need some 3DS JRPG to play.

Einhander

I'm playing Final Fantasy XIII-2. I can say this for certain - I'm enjoying it more than Final Fantasy XIII. While the story is odd and rather lacking, it's more interesting than Final Fantasy XIII. I also think the characters, dialogue and character interaction are substantially better. I can't remember which timeline node I've opened recently, but I'm quite a ways into the game. Recently, I unlocked the
Coliseum.

Protag

Banned
Man, totally missed this thread even though I'd been playing stuff for the month.

Been playing The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki Evolution for this month since Sen no Kiseki II is only a few months away now (HYPE).

For those of you not in the know, it's the fifth game in the series started by Trails in the Sky.

I played the original PSP version, but full voice acting and screenshot capabilities make all the difference!

BriBq9wCYAEpNxm.jpg:large

BrstzxECMAESC2R.jpg:large

Love these characters so hard.

Lucky

Hit kind of a wall in Shin Tensei Megami: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers. In the last third of the game or so, but this one long dungeon involving two towers is zapping my enthusiasm. Gotta push through and make it my first completed JRPG in the last couple of years.

I almost finished Xenosaga Ep 1, but I gave up on it because it is just too shitty. I doubt I'll ever finish it and I hear Ep 2 is even WORSE, so yeah no.

Right now the only JRPG I'm playing through is Suikoden 5 and its REALLY good. Like I'm enjoying it way more than I thought I would, though I highly doubt I'll ever go for all 108 just for a better ending that I can youtube.

I actually knocked out most of my backlog of JRPGs, the only ones I have left are Digital Devil Saga 2, Persona 2 IS (which is more on hold) and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn. I'll probably also add Suikoden 2 to that list since I'm really enjoying 5 and I hear 2 is just as great, if not better.

I have:

Final Fantasy X HD
Persona 4 Golden
Sakura Wars: So Long My Love
Shining Force Exa
Grandia 3
Wild Arms 3
Final Fantasy Type 0

All ready to go. I'm thinking about starting off with FFX since it's one of the longest of the group.

By the end of the month, I hope to have beaten at least 2 of the above.

Top Bottom