• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judgment Reviews Thread

Mista

Banned
slide_0.png

Twinfinite: 4/5
With an entirely original story and streamlined side content, Judgment is easily the best place to get introduced to the Yakuza formula, and for longtime fans it's the best Dragon Engine game yet. Either way, it's one you shouldn't miss out on.

DualShockers: 8.5/10
While it largely follows the same general formula of the Yakuza games that came before it, Judgment's focus on playing as a detective and solving cases around the city of Kamurocho never once got stale.

IGN: 8.2/10
Judgment is a superficial detective experience, but an extremely good Yakuza one.

VideoGamer: 8/10
Judgment tinkers with the Yakuza template enough that it provides something for fans, as well as those who have always thought about visiting Kamurocho.

RPG Site: 8/10
Judgment is perhaps, in my opinion, one of the best titles Ryu ga Gotoku Studio has to offer. If you’re interested in a narrative-heavy game that involves similar elements to many Japanese paralegal or noir films and dramas, this is absolutely for you. And for those that are familiar with the Yakuza franchise I would also heavily consider giving Judgment a shot as it retains all of the character and drama-heavy stories you’re already familiar with. While it does have its weaknesses and combat can be fatiguing at times, Judgment stands atop as perhaps one of the best narrative experiences yet to release this year.

TheSixthAxis: 8/10
Judgment is another great Japanese crime drama that will grab your attention as the stakes get bigger and bigger, but it's not quite on par with the Yakuza series. Some of the private detective busywork could make way for more of RGG Studio's trademark goofiness to cut through the seriousness of the main story, but anyone who has any interest in Far East crime dramas or the Yakuza series should pick Judgment up. Judgment has been judged and has been found worth playing.

USgamer: 4/5
Judgment is very much a Yakuza game in detective clothing, but with some clever twists and a killer mystery at the center, it ends up feeling surprisingly distinct. While some of the detective-specific mechanical additions are a drag, everything else vibes really well with the familiar Kamurocho setting. It's easily the best of the recent line of Dragon Engine-developed games in the series—even without Kiryu Kazuma at the center, and even without a karaoke minigame.

GameSpot: 7/10
Despite some unremarkable additions to the standard Ryu ga Gotoku template, by the end of Judgment it's hard not to feel like you want to spend dozens upon dozens more hours with Yagami and friends.

Destructoid: 7.5/10
It still has that serious Ryu Ga Gotoku underworld tint, but it's also still as ridiculous as ever.

MetaCritic: 80%

OpenCritic: 81%

Last edited:

Kazza

Generally very positive reviews so far (see below)

Common themes in the reviews:

Positive:
- fun new combat styles
- good range of arcade and minigames
- English dub is good
- great story
- nice interactions with NPCs (can establish friendships, make the city feel more alive)

Negative:
- detective elements are too linear (hard to fail, not many ways to progress)
- some of the detective elements get tiresome (especially tracking suspects and picking locks)

IGN: 8.2 Great

Dreamcast Guy: 10

GameExplain: liked-a-lot

ACG: Buy

GamesRadar: 3/5

Gaming Bolt: 9

Last edited:

Fbh

Thanks for the thread.

I'm interested but I'm playing through other stuff right now so I think I'll wait for a sale. I was somewhat disappointed when I found out this was taking place in Kamurocho, and now reading it's overall very similar to the Yakuza games isn't raising my hype.

I love most of the Yakuza games but after 7 games of running around Kamurocho I'm reaching the point where's I've had enough

Last edited:

Karak

Game is legit. Couple tech issues and I would like them to have fleshed out a couple of the mechanics but it feels like it exists in the same world so well you expect to see someone else from another game sprinting around beating the crap out of people along side you

Mista

Banned
Minutes late mate :)

Helios

The Verdict: 8.5
The Good

• Fantastic story And characters
  • Fun, free flowing combat
  • Tons of side activities to do
  • Great balance of serious storytelling with some light hearted comedic moments
The Bad
  • Some frame stuttering
  • Investigation, chase and tailing mechanics can become dull
  • Rare but frustrating case of a warping enemy in tight quarters combat
  • No karaoke

Played some of this last night. Really impressed with it. I can’t wait to jump back into the game later tonight. Definitely a noteworthy purchase.

Mista

Banned
Played some of this last night. Really impressed with it. I can’t wait to jump back into the game later tonight. Definitely a noteworthy purchase.
Join us in the OT then so we discuss together :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone play this? I'm about 2 hours in and am seriously impressed by it so far. I never played Yakuza 6 or Yakuza 2 remake, so this is my first time playing a game with their new game engine, but it's really impressive being able to run about and go into interiors/battles, etc. without any loading times. The fighting system and detective stuff seem really fun so far, too.

drganon

Anyone play this? I'm about 2 hours in and am seriously impressed by it so far. I never played Yakuza 6 or Yakuza 2 remake, so this is my first time playing a game with their new game engine, but it's really impressive being able to run about and go into interiors/battles, etc. without any loading times. The fighting system and detective stuff seem really fun so far, too.
Yeah, I beat it awhile ago. The only things I didn't like was one of the later tailing missions and the whole "permanent " injury mechanic. Neither were deal breakers and overall I enjoyed my time with the game.

Top Bottom