• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Juicy Xbox360 rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
BC certainly doesn't hurt -- it ALWAYS benefits the consumer (except when it hikes up the price).

Still, does Xbox 360 NEED BC? I don't think it's essential.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Fight for Freeform said:
BC for the Xbox 360 would be absolutely retarded. "Let's jack up the price of the console by $50 so people can play OLD GAMES!"

Sheesh...
Yeah, what a thing for a company to do that claims to be serious about this industry...support their back catalog where 95% of their content will be...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fight for Freeform said:
I had to respond to this because it's not taking into account a couple of extremely important factors:

1) PS2 succeeded one of the best selling home consoles. BC made sense because many people HAD PSOne software.

True and people will have a lot more PlyStation 2 software when PlayStation 3 launches than they did PSOne software when PlayStation 2 launched (both quantities will be enormous as you see PSOne titles selling even now).

Are you saying that Xbox 1 did not sell many games to its customers ?

2) PS2 succeeded a console that was more than half a decade old, meaning that it could be emulated. Plus, the PSOne didn't use super-propietary hardware, meaning it could be easily emulated (heck, PCs were emulating it at the time).

Must be why the whole CPU SoC is included, the Sound processor is basically the same but duplicated and the GS received hardware fixes to help it and at the same time the EE is used to translate display lists on the fly, right ?

Fact: for 1994-1995 the PSOne used a heck of a proprietary solution for its CPU as well as its GPU, but especially the CPU which was its strongest asset IMHO: built-in table to accellerate Painter's Alorithm rendering (back-to-front rendering), 30 MHz custom MIPS R3000A, custom Vectgor Processor with fixed point math (GTE), custom M-JPEG decoding engine (MDEC), high speed DMAC engine, etc...

3) The GBA had BC, but at a cost to the performance!

??? Uhm.... no.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
chespace said:
BC certainly doesn't hurt -- it ALWAYS benefits the consumer (except when it hikes up the price).

I would still take it: I want to play my older games even when my old consoles crap out.

Look at your PC: would you really give up backward compatibility each time you upgrade it ;).

GhaleonEB

Wario64 said:
Rumors:

The XBox 360 will have a 40 gig HDD add-on w/a preloaded updated (graphics/maps) version of Halo 2. (The XBox Media Center version will have a smaller 10 gig HDD) You'll be able to load games to it and switch to them on the fly if you get an invite.

edit:Size of HDD drives still being finalized. MS trying to keep costs down...due to go into production in August

The online co-op for Halo 2 WAS running flawless but MS decided to save it for Halo 3. (wanted to have something new that Halo 2 didn't have.) Bungie wanted Halo 2 to be the last in the series but MS changed it midway through development to an on-going series. All the cuts/missing stuff we seen IS being saved for Halo 3. The Ark level, online co-op, dual wielded a jackal shield (hold trigger to block w/it.) and more.

The new Live will use Gamercards. Everyone will have a profile that will list the games you've been playing recently, your average skill level and more. Since you can preload games, if you got an invite from someone playing something else, you can switch to that game w/a touch of a button. Also, the servers are setup to handle all the geometry and hard calcualtions on there end for Live play...expect AWESOME detailed games running lag free on Live.

The Xbox 360 WILL have downloadable games that you'll be able to purchase early AND at a reduced price.

The XBox 360 will also have 2 video outputs, one of the outputs may be hooked up to a monitor.

And NO backwards compatability for Xbox360.

All the Halo 2 stuff is a flaming crock of shit, made up by some pissed Halo hater.

And I don't see MS causing channel friction by selling games online at reduced prices. They need all the retail support they can get. Online DEMOS on the other hand have been nearly confirmed.

The rest seems like random speculation and "no shit" observations based on publicly known data.

Juicy, these are not.

Man, I'm cranky tonight.

GhaleonEB

BuddyC said:
There were rumors about Covenant play going around even before E3 of last year.

Please, find me a single link to site that speculated such for SP (not MP as that was confirmed when Bungie announced the game).

I read pretty much every single article, rumor and mag story about Halo 2, and never saw this speculated about ANYWHERE.

Izzy

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
I had to respond to this because it's not taking into account a couple of extremely important factors:

1) PS2 succeeded one of the best selling home consoles. BC made sense because many people HAD PSOne software.

2) PS2 succeeded a console that was more than half a decade old, meaning that it could be emulated. Plus, the PSOne didn't use super-propietary hardware, meaning it could be easily emulated (heck, PCs were emulating it at the time).

3) The GBA had BC, but at a cost to the performance! Some elements of GBA games used GB technology. Kinda like the 32X, which built upon the Genesis tech, but the Genny was still doing things like game bgs and such.

The PS3, Revolution and Xbox 360 will be hard pressed to even emulate the Dreamcast, because of it's propietary technology that works very differently than most hardware (try doing the volumetric lighting that the PowerVR architexture did with ease...look at the inferior GameCube version of Sonic Adventure 2 as an example). Not to say that they won't emulate the GC or PS2, because they can (and it's obvious as to how and why). But you can't expect MS to redesign the 360 so it's less effecient, more costly, and going with Nvidia just for the sake of BC. I'd rather them think ahead and go with what they see what hardware components will make them the best console.

People pushing for BC on the Xbox just aren't thinking straight.

No, they won't. Just look at the state of DC emulation on PC.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
GhaleonEB said:
Please, find me a single link to site that speculated such for SP (not MP as that was confirmed when Bungie announced the game).

I read pretty much every single article, rumor and mag story about Halo 2, and never saw this speculated about ANYWHERE.
I can't find the topic, but believe me there was someone here speculating about playing as a covenant in the single player mode here just a few days/hours before the game was leaked.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Blimblim said:
I can't find the topic, but believe me there was someone here speculating about playing as a covenant in the single player mode here just a few days/hours before the game was leaked.

Read my post on the last page... :p

Wario64 said:
Also, the servers are setup to handle all the geometry and hard calcualtions on there end for Live play...expect AWESOME detailed games running lag free on Live.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Okay this is officially BS! :lol

FightyF

Banned
Yeah, what a thing for a company to do that claims to be serious about this industry...support their back catalog where 95% of their content will be...

Serious about the present day games industry. Not some industry that existed 4 years ago.

True and people will have a lot more PlyStation 2 software when PlayStation 3 launches than they did PSOne software when PlayStation 2 launched (both quantities will be enormous as you see PSOne titles selling even now).

Are you saying that Xbox 1 did not sell many games to its customers ?

Not enough to warrent jacking up the cost of a brand new console. You people have to realize that launch price point is absolutely important to a console's success (whether short or long term, I think both).

Must be why the whole CPU SoC is included, the Sound processor is basically the same but duplicated and the GS received hardware fixes to help it and at the same time the EE is used to translate display lists on the fly, right ?

Fact: for 1994-1995 the PSOne used a heck of a proprietary solution for its CPU as well as its GPU, but especially the CPU which was its strongest asset IMHO: built-in table to accellerate Painter's Alorithm rendering (back-to-front rendering), 30 MHz custom MIPS R3000A, custom Vectgor Processor with fixed point math (GTE), custom M-JPEG decoding engine (MDEC), high speed DMAC engine, etc...

It's a whole lot easier to emulate a proprietary CPU rather than a GPU. And if you read my point about my DC you'll see why.

??? Uhm.... no.

Sorry, to cost AND performance! The original GB sound hardware was put in there, and the plan was to utilize it to take load and bandwidth away from other components. Do you expect MS to include the GPU used in the Xbox in every 360?

I would still take it: I want to play my older games even when my old consoles crap out.

Look at your PC: would you really give up backward compatibility each time you upgrade it ;).

How much more would you be willing to pay for BC?

As far as PCs go...let's say that there is a new machine that is 128-bit and doesn't use x86 and is cheap, yet really fast. But you have to buy new software for it. And let's say it's primarily used as a games machine.

Would you refuse to buy it, because it lacks BC?

No, they won't. Just look at the state of DC emulation on PC.

How does Chankast handle volumetric shadows? :) The whole point is that with the built in technology that is BASED on hardware differences, you'll have issues.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's a whole lot easier to emulate a proprietary CPU rather than a GPU.

Must be why PlayStation 2 needed to have the PSOne CPU SoC and GPU emulation was done basically by translating the outputted display lists and some fixes to the GS ;).

Sorry, to cost AND performance! The original GB sound hardware was put in there, and the plan was to utilize it to take load and bandwidth away from other components.

Oh poor Nintendo... obliged to sell at $90 some product it cost them about $20 to manufacture: Povero Silvio... incompreso (no you won't get this, but it is ok, someone will ;)).

cornacchione.jpg

Backward-compatibility was quite cheap for them to add: do you think the GB CPU they added was so expensive they had to fall on software processed sound (for something more than PC Speakers like sound) ? :lol

Graphically they do not slow things down a bit... unless you want good music and sound effects that is ;).

It was their decision to keep things ultra simple and bar the use of the GB CPU when the system was in GBA mode: you know a dedicated chip sitting there doing nothing could have been useful helping out with sound processing.

Look at the Nintendo DS for better implemented backward-compatibility and better use of the secondary hardware (still the way they serialized things irks me a bit).

Do you expect MS to include the GPU used in the Xbox in every 360?

No, and likely they do not need to once they pay a fee to nVIDIA to use the old design and it is not like MS does not have the leverage to convince them to take the money ;).

How much more would you be willing to pay for BC?

Say, the manufacturers take the cost, find a way not to have the extra hardware sit idle and only be useful for backward-compatibility since I will have already to buy the new software at probably jacked up prices ;).

As far as PCs go...let's say that there is a new machine that is 128-bit and doesn't use x86 and is cheap, yet really fast. But you have to buy new software for it. And let's say it's primarily used as a games machine.

Would you refuse to buy it, because it lacks BC?

Yes, of course... I do not give a shit if it is fast... I have too much stuff for this PC to just throw it awayfor a new PC that does not let me re-use my software ;).

How does Chankast handle volumetric shadows? :) The whole point is that with the built in technology that is BASED on hardware differences, you'll have issues.

You can solve solvable issues and modifier volumes (which btw are used for more stuff than just shadows: btw, Shenmue does not use Modifier Volumes for shadows, but it calculates shadowing separately) are one of them: you are not cmparing a small emulation group against professional programmers involved with the design of the original hardware ?

Do you think that if the Hitachi/Renesas guys and the IMG Technologies guys were paid to develop a Dreamcast emulator for a current modern PC they would not be able to do it ;) ?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Fight for Freeform said:
Serious about the present day games industry. Not some industry that existed 4 years ago.
:lol Hey, how about "some industry" (we'll just pick one at random here) that exists 5 minutes before the xbox 2 arrives?

I don't want to lug out my xbox to play Ninja Gaiden, PDO, and Riddick. I really hope they come through, give us BC. Seriously, this could be the differance between buying it at launch and waiting a year.(er...unless they have sexy launch games :D )

FightyF

Banned
Must be why PlayStation 2 needed to have the PSOne CPU SoC and GPU emulation was done basically by translating the outputted display lists and some fixes to the GS ;).

Exactly, because the GPU wasn't using tech so propietary that couldn't be replicated.
Your statement also ties into my second point. The PSOne was also more than 5 years older than the PS2. The 360 doesn't have that luxury. The cost of including hardware such as say in the case of the 360, would go down to an extent. I think you're underestimating the costs of the Xbox GPU.

Backward-compatibility was quite cheap for them to add: do you think the GB CPU they added was so expensive they had to fall on software processed sound (for something more than PC Speakers like sound) ?

Perhaps cheap, but it was still an added cost, and for MS the added cost will be far greater. "Cheap" by no means.

No, and likely they do not need to once they pay a fee to nVIDIA to use the old design and it is not like MS does not have the leverage to convince them to take the money ;).

I highly doubt it...but perhaps you considering things that I'm not...

Say, the manufacturers take the cost, find a way not to have the extra hardware sit idle and only be useful for backward-compatibility since I will have already to buy the new software at probably jacked up prices ;).

Well...if you want the manufacturer to eat the cost, that means that you don't want to pay for it. Am I interpreting this right? :)

Yes, of course... I do not give a shit if it is fast... I have too much stuff for this PC to just throw it awayfor a new PC that does not let me re-use my software ;).

So because your older games won't work...you won't buy a new games machine? Then maybe you really don't need a new console to begin with.

You can solve solvable issues and modifier volumes (which btw are used for more stuff than just shadows: btw, Shenmue does not use Modifier Volumes for shadows, but it calculates shadowing separately) are one of them: you are not cmparing a small emulation group against professional programmers involved with the design of the original hardware ?

Do you think that if the Hitachi/Renesas guys and the IMG Technologies guys were paid to develop a Dreamcast emulator for a current modern PC they would not be able to do it ;) ?

I don't think current PCs would be able to run it at the same speeds. They could get everything down pat, but speeds are an issue. And though perhaps they can overcome some hurdles in 100% emulation...getting it to run at the same speeds is another. Artifically overclocking the SH-4 won't guarentee the same performance as the DC either.

You could try emulating the Xbox on the 360, but I seriously doubt that it would perform as well as an original Xbox.

I still think that the only solution for BC is including some of the original hardware, and that it's too costly to do so. You've brought some interesting points in relation to my earlier points, but in one sense they agree with what I said (I'm talking about propietary hardware being an issue and must be included...and you show me that yes it is included in the PS2.).

FightyF

Banned
Hey, how about "some industry" (we'll just pick one at random here) that exists 5 minutes before the xbox 2 arrives?

Why not think rationally than joke about it. I'm tired, maybe I'm getting grumpy and I'm not in a joking mood. :p

Look at the GC's launch. It didn't have BC...and the N64 was quite popular. It sold pretty well, the games sold pretty well.

And Nintendo is pretty "serious about the industry", as you put it, isn't that right?

So did they somehow show that they really didn't care about the games industry by releasing a GC console that wasn't BC? No...not at all.

Sure, the console could have emulated it...but the move from cartridges to optical discs was essential in moving technology forward. Sure, as a result, they've lost BC...but the cost to add a cartridge port would have jacked up the cost of the console. Can you imagine the console costing even $25 more dollars at launch? It would have really hurt the console in the eyes of many undecided consumers. Nintendo looked forward with new technology and didn't look back.

Why do they need to remain living in the past...and how does living in the past relate to their seriousness to this industry?

Pug

Put it this way I have never used my PS2 to play PS1 games and I will never play PS2 games on PS3. Really I don't see the point and i'd rather the saving thanks. An add on would be the perfect deal for me, I wouldn't have to pay for an useless function and people that did require backwards compatability would have to pay the extra cost, perfect. Oh and its almost certain to be Xbox 360 and it's just a name.

BC hasn't been that important to me either. For PS2 I only used it extensively for replaying FFVII one time in the recent past. The only other time I used it was when I just got the PS2 and I tested games out to see what the texture blending looked like (a couple of days worth of novelty).

Maybe PS3 BC will be more important to me when considering the amount of PS2 titles that'll come out later this year and early next year (all the RPGs ...). I'll definitely have a backlog of games this time around ...

maharg

idspispopd
Panajev2001a said:
Look at the Nintendo DS for better implemented backward-compatibility and better use of the secondary hardware (still the way they serialized things irks me a bit).

Serialized? This is the second time I've heard something about this, and the first time the person saying it clearly had no clue wtf they were talking about, so please explain this reference in a way that sounds sane.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fight for Freeform said:
Exactly, because the GPU wasn't using tech so propietary that couldn't be replicated.
Your statement also ties into my second point. The PSOne was also more than 5 years older than the PS2. The 360 doesn't have that luxury. The cost of including hardware such as say in the case of the 360, would go down to an extent. I think you're underestimating the costs of the Xbox GPU.

I would not include the cost of the GPU: the problem for MS is a problem of IP's more than technological feasibility IMHO.

So because your older games won't work...you won't buy a new games machine?

I won't buy it at launch at full price no, especially if there are alternatives that do support Backward-compatibility.

I don't think current PCs would be able to run it at the same speeds. They could get everything down pat, but speeds are an issue. And though perhaps they can overcome some hurdles in 100% emulation...getting it to run at the same speeds is another. Artifically overclocking the SH-4 won't guarentee the same performance as the DC either.

You could try emulating the Xbox on the 360, but I seriously doubt that it would perform as well as an original Xbox.

The kind of 100% emulation is what people aim with UAE set-up to emualte cycle-by-cycle every feature of Amiga systems and that yes it is expensive: what would be done on for DC emulation and on Xbox 2 emulation would be more akin to what some good N64 emulators do, that is replace API calls used by the original paltform with equivalent functions.

Do you think any N64 emulator bothers implementing texture filtering exactly as it is on N64 ? That would mean a slow software solution tom mimic the fact that the N64 GPU sampled 3 texels for bi-linear filtering instead of 4 and had a borked tri-linear set-up.

You do not emulate accurately in that case: you know the texture to be sample and you know the application wants it sampled with a bi-linear filter and you use your GPU's standard bi-linear.

Some thing you migth do in software or with custom Shader programs, but it is not like Xenon lacks the performance to do it: the CPU alone is like 72-80 GFLOPS.

The best thing would be to include the XCPU as I/O processor + other processor to sue for stuff ;) so that you avoid having to do JIT compilation for the general purpose code and can focus on using the Xenon CPU and the Xenon GPU to emulate the Xbox 1 GPU.

It is not easy, but it is doable: especially if you get permission from nVIDIA coughing up money for it and getting more insights in how the low level functions of the NV2A GPU should be handled to do correct emulation.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
maharg said:
Serialized? This is the second time I've heard something about this, and the first time the person saying it clearly had no clue wtf they were talking about, so please explain this reference in a way that sounds sane.

You were in that same thread as I was... I assume by serialized as pipelined... like the CLIP/CULL stage of a GPU is serialized to the VS stage.

It would make it for easier programming: some of the benefits of dual processing, but not all the programming/synchronization issues.

It might be like this or it might not... it is just a theory.

My point was not this, my point was that this time they did not merely put all the work on the shoulders of the Master CPU and leave the other sitting idle unless the console was in backward-compatibility mode.

Panajev2001a said:
Povero Silvio... incompreso (no you won't get this, but it is ok, someone will ;))

AHAHAHAH grande!!! :lol
look at your PMs ;-)

About BC, this is my personal point of view: I rarely go back on playing games I already finished, mostly because I've constantly got new games to play, and not much free time. So, BC isn't at all an issue for me. Moreover, I'm planning to keep my actual Xbox for at least one year after Xenon's release, so I'm not worried at all. I think BC is absolutely overrated here, and it will do less difference for the great public. When I switched to a DVD player, I didn't pretend it to be backwards compatible with my old VCR. Simply, I still have my VCR even if it's almost unused.

And coming back at the first post, the "server side geometry calculations" is absolute bullshit :lol :lol :lol
Only somemone that doesn't have basic technical knowledge could think such a thing to be feasible.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I do so wish that MS would let you copy games to your HDD, i dont even mind if they make you stick the disc in to run it from the HDD (to stop people just renting & copying) every game i get these days i immeadiatly copy to the HDD, ever since i tried to play James Bond Everything or nothing and realised it was more load time than game.

Especially as they are going with DVD again, the transfer rates are just not good enough.

ourumov

The kind of 100% emulation is what people aim with UAE set-up to emualte cycle-by-cycle every feature of Amiga systems and that yes it is expensive: what would be done on for DC emulation and on Xbox 2 emulation would be more akin to what some good N64 emulators do, that is replace API calls used by the original paltform with equivalent functions.

Do you think any N64 emulator bothers implementing texture filtering exactly as it is on N64 ? That would mean a slow software solution tom mimic the fact that the N64 GPU sampled 3 texels for bi-linear filtering instead of 4 and had a borked tri-linear set-up.

Correct. Most N64 emulators sucked till Ultra-HLE appeared. This was the first to use High Level Emulation for most stuff and then things begin to work.

ram

BuddyC said:
remember halo 2?

is it really? if the 360 lineup is as strong as has been rumored, then they really don't need backwards compatibility.

true - they are getting all the ported games from the playstation 2. :lol

jarrod

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
I3) The GBA had BC, but at a cost to the performance! Some elements of GBA games used GB technology. Kinda like the 32X, which built upon the Genesis tech, but the Genny was still doing things like game bgs and such.
edit-Ack, Pana already got there! :/

Your analogy would work with GB/GBC (shared Z80) or GBA/DS (shared ARM7) but not GB/GBC/GBA (no shared chips).

"I won't buy it at launch at full price no, especially if there are alternatives that do support Backward-compatibility."

My sentiments and intentions as well.

For a handheld, BC is very important. I mean, who wants to lug around more than one system?

For a home console, I just can't see the great importance it has. Then again, I don't hold off on buying the major consoles because I'm getting them day-one for all the shit that gets me excited about getting them in the first place...the new console-shit.

Mrbob said:
You can buy 80 GIG hdds nowadays for nearly the same price as 40 gig HDDs (Difference is like 5 bucks).

The 80Gig I recently purchased for my parents' computer was $10 less than the 40 Gig. Boourns at those rumors. Booourns at MS if they're true.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
We only need more than 40gig if they are gonna let us put games on it. All the video/music content can be streamed via media center.

The cost of it depends on the form factor, sure a PC 80gig HDD is less than a 40gig one but things a bit different if you are looking at smaller drives.

Bebpo

Banned
I noticed today while doing used game hunting in Japanese game stores that BC is a lot more important and less important at the same time in Japan.

Currently in Japan, PS1 software is still moving a large amount of units through used game sales (and even new game sales from PS one book collections). Tons of people are buying and selling PS1 games each day for both collectors items and to play old classics that they may have missed (remember, there was probably 5x the amount of software released on the PS1 in Japan than the US and games are $10-20 more there). Now maybe some of these people are playing their games on their PS1, but I'm pretty sure the majority are using the PS2. Heck I picked up five PS1 games tonight because they had finally dropped below the $15 price range. I've gotten a ton of PS1 games in the last 4-5 years and my PS1 laser died like 3 years ago, so I depend on my PS2's BC to play all these awesome rpgs and stuff that I'm just finding out about now. I think this applies greatly to the average Japanese gamer too, and so to them BC is a very important item.

But at the same time, the PS1 had like thousands of games released during its lifetime in Japan. Whereas the Xbox shelf at the local gamestore has maybe 30-40 games max, so maybe while BC would be incredibly important for PS3 (thousands of PS2 games out here, and in 5 years they'll finally be hitting the sub-$15 prices), it may not be very important for Xbox360 as there might not be anything Xbox360 owners will have cared about missing on Xbox.

Just a thought.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I won't buy it at launch at full price no, especially if there are alternatives that do support Backward-compatibility.
How does this matter? Seriously. It's not like the alternatives can play the games you'd most likely want Xbox BC for in the first place. This works for DVD player and such but not game consoles. Still. As chespace said. Having BC certainly cant hurt from a consumers standpoint.

I most likely wont buy a 360 at launch either (I never buy systems at launch). But that decision will be made based off of the games available and not whether the competition has BC or not.

Azih

Two things.

1. It's funny that the huge variety of options MS could go with for the Xbox 2 make speculation for how it'll end up being so much wilder than Revolution whose whole claim to fame is uniqueness.

2. Whatever features Xbox does or does not have is pointless. The addition or lack of any feature won't make or break the Box. If it has must have games then the gamers will come. That's all there is to it. SOFTWARE people, not hardware.

Truffle: the specualtion is that the whole game will be on the harddrive. You won't need Xbox Halo 2 to play. It's all spurious though.

thats what i figured but the way it read was they were just including maps and other goodies.
personally i could care less about bc. i already have xbox and ill probably play it a handful of times next gen. so in the closet it will go

Razoric

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
Why not think rationally than joke about it. I'm tired, maybe I'm getting grumpy and I'm not in a joking mood. :p

Look at the GC's launch. It didn't have BC...and the N64 was quite popular. It sold pretty well, the games sold pretty well.

And Nintendo is pretty "serious about the industry", as you put it, isn't that right?

So did they somehow show that they really didn't care about the games industry by releasing a GC console that wasn't BC? No...not at all.

Sure, the console could have emulated it...but the move from cartridges to optical discs was essential in moving technology forward. Sure, as a result, they've lost BC...but the cost to add a cartridge port would have jacked up the cost of the console. Can you imagine the console costing even $25 more dollars at launch? It would have really hurt the console in the eyes of many undecided consumers. Nintendo looked forward with new technology and didn't look back.

Why do they need to remain living in the past...and how does living in the past relate to their seriousness to this industry?

You're argument is severly flawed about Nintendo...

A) They have added backwards compatibility to every version of Gameboy.

B) They know how important BC is because their newest systems (read: DS and Revolution) will play older games.

It all comes down to what type of gamer you are. You're entire argument is filled with "quit living in the past" shit which, pardon my french, is fucking stupid. Just because a game is old, does not mean it still isnt worth playing. Do you not watch older movies / listen to older music because they are "too old" and you want to "stay with the times"? I played a shitload of PSOne games I missed the first time around on my PS2 (Suikoden 2 being one that stands out greatly) that I probably would've never played had PS2 not played PSOne games. It's also nice to know that I can presumably shelve my PS2 once PS3 comes out but I still have every Playstation brand game to play at my finger tips. That adds a LOT of value for me.

Will lack of BC stop me from getting Xbox 360? No... I doubt it will really effect many people's purchases once they see the graphics and whatnot and I'm sure that's why MS doesn't care if it's in or not. For me it will devalue the Xbox brand, however, in a couple ways:

A) Once I have all 3 next-gen systems there will be no room for that big ass xbox. And once it's put away I highly doubt I will be pulling it out that much. Eventually xbox games will be packed up and/or sold never to be played again and any older xbox game I might have missed will not be purchased. (maybe ill buy a shitty PS2 port, if exists, instead)

B) I'm going to figure that Xbox 360 also has a 3-4 year shelf life and xbox 720 will not play 360 games.... with that in my head any multisystem game will be purchased for PS3 because I will figure I will still be able to play them on PS4 once it comes out.

But like I said, I highly doubt this will effect sales so in the end everyone will be ok. But this just secures which system, for me, will remain the one in which I will buy the most games for. :)

ATJaguarX

Banned
Everything Wario posted is from a credible source from a VERY popular development company. I was involved in the conversation.

The next Xbox will be called Xbox 360. "3" so it doesn't sound inferior to the Playstation 3 and "360" for a full revolution, since Nintendo's system is called the "Revolution". This is almost 100% guaranteed. My source has told us new marketing slogans have already been passed around the game industry with the name "Xbox 360", such as.... "Xbox 360.... the real revolution"

The Xbox 360 WILL be launched in the US in November. That is a GUARANTEE. MS wants to have 1 million units sold BY holiday for large holiday game sales.

The Xbox 360 WILL have multiple outputs. 1 being HDMI and the other for VGA (among other typical outputs). I recall a total of 4 outputs. The multiple outputs is to alleviate playing split screen. You will be able to hookup to different outputs to one Xbox and play on 2 different screens.

Online COOP for Halo2 made it though Alpha and Beta testing. It ran flawlessly and "as smooth as silk". At the last minute it was taken out. My source has went as far as saying "all the code is in there... it's just turned off". That would explain all the menus that make it appear that you can play COOP on Live. It was removed and NO explaination has been given to why.

Halo 2 was dismantled in the middle of development. As everyone knows, Bungie wanted Halo2 to be the last in the series and move onto other games for Xbox 360. MS went to Bungie 2/3 of the way through the development and told Bungie that they did NOT want them to end it because the want Halo to be a franchise. Since Bungie had the story already written to end with Halo2, they had to remove alot and fill it with fluff to save something for Halo 3. This is the rumor why online Coop was removed... they need to save something "innovative" for Halo 3. It is true... the Ark board was supposed to be in this game. Look at the Limited Edition Halo DVD. You will a story board showing the Ark on Earth.

Dual wielding Jackal shields was also removed. You were supposed to be able to pick up a Jackal shield and use the Left Trigger to block shots. He also talked about the Hog and how you could shoot while you drove it.

The new Halo 2 DLC will be coming in 2 weeks time. It will include patches for grabbing flags through the base, dropping bombs through the base, standby glitch fix, flag bouncing among other glitches. It will also decrease the space available for melee attacks. I'm not sure if that meant a simple melee or with the sword... but regardless, making it so you have to be closer for a melee. Something will also be included so you can combo melee attacks to get double kills with melees (not sure what he meant by that). Also... if someone goes into "standby", he will be IMMEDIATELY booted from the game and the next best connection will take over.

The first 2 Halo 2 multiplayer maps will be free and coming in 4 weeks time. The next to will be $2.99 each and the rest will come later, at a download price of $12.99. They will be free by the end of the summer, but who wants to wait until September when Xbox 360 will be out in November.

Hard drives for Xbox 360 is still up in the air. If they can get the costs down, they MAY include it, but it doesn't look likely. IF they do include it, it will be another 10 gig drive. They will offer an optional 40-60 gig hdd that will include and upgraded Hi-Def Halo 2 that can be played on Live. This is an incentive since Xbox 360 will NOT include backwards compatability. MS is also tossing around an idea of just creating an add-on case that would allow users to use their own purchased hdd so they can choose what size they want. This is highly unlikely though. Whatever they choose, it WILL be Serial ATA.

They are tossing around the idea of allowing people to download games at a discounted price to be loaded to the hdd. This way, if you accept a game invite from someone else, you will be prompted "would you like to switch games" and the other game will immediately launch, without having to swap games.

The Xbox friends list will be a part of the Xbox itself. This way all XBL friends list will look the same. The are basing the design of Bungie's implementation of this. This way, it is all uniform on how you send and receive invites etc... This is the same for custom soundtracks. It will all be a part of the system, not the game, therefore allowing custom soundtracks in all games.

The source also claimed that this is going to be the BEST E3 in a long time. If I recall correctly, all 3 developers will be showing off their consoles.

Also, Xbox 360 will pretty much be an Apple G5 running on the new Windows Longhorn.

Obviously, these are all "rumors". I believe them to be true. Our source knew WAY too much to be just making this stuff up. This all came from a 90 minute conversation. Believe it or not.... I believe it.

I will post more as I remember...

Mrbob

Optimistic said:
And what's $5 x 30 000 000? They're not just building one xbox 2, you know. The difference for MS or any other console manufacturer isn't a mere $5, it's millions all told.

HDD isn't going to be built. Consumers are going to have to pay for it seperately this time. Charge us 5 bucks more for 40 gigs storage extra.

Pug

Also, Xbox 360 will pretty much be an Apple G5 running on the new Windows Longhorn.

Xbox 360 will not contain a single G5 processor so thats a bit off for a starters.

ATJaguarX said:
Obviously, these are all "rumors". I believe them to be true. Our source knew WAY too much to be just making this stuff up. This all came from a 90 minute conversation. Believe it or not.... I believe it.

You've said nothing that hasn't been rumored before (except for the full games downloads, but demos was already rumored). Your source could simply have mixed together some rumors, hoping in a lucky guess ;-) The same process spong seems to use in its "scoop articles" :lol

And yes, there's that "server-side geometry" think about which Wario wrote in his post, but I really hope noone will believe such and absurdity....

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I call bullshit on all of this. Bungie admitted to basically scrapping the game halfway through the project because it wasn't running well and wasn't fun. Now, on top of that, they had additional time to remove content from the game that they had already built to please MS? Give me a break. Throw in the idiotic statement about graphics rendering being handled on the server side (who was the idiot who wrote this?) and you just have a bunch of rumors that are screaming "bullshit".

ATJaguarX

Banned
I COMPLETELY agree with "Fight for Freeform" on post #42 in terms with BC.

But you can't expect MS to redesign the 360 so it's less effecient, more costly, and going with Nvidia just for the sake of BC. I'd rather them think ahead and go with what they see what hardware components will make them the best console.

AirBrian

ATJaguarX said:
The next Xbox will be called Xbox 360. "3" so it doesn't sound inferior to the Playstation 3 and "360" for a full revolution, since Nintendo's system is called the "Revolution". This is almost 100% guaranteed. My source has told us new marketing slogans have already been passed around the game industry with the name "Xbox 360", such as.... "Xbox 360.... the real revolution"
:lol :lol :lol

Someone at MS thinks they're clever.

xsarien

daedsiluap
chespace said:

Still, does Xbox 360 NEED BC? I don't think it's essential.

Ah, but "essential" is a very relative thing. To someone who'd rather not keep their old XBox around, they'll need to repurchase XB1 games that are ported to XB2 (assuming both that they want them and they're ported.)

This *kinda* kicks Halo fans in the nuts. Having the series on two seperate systems that are just plain incompatible with each other is a hassle, at the very least. Thanks to Sony and Nintendo (and to a lesser degree, Sega), backwards compatibility may not be necessarily required, but I think a good argument can be made that it's now expected.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Fight for Freeform said:
Well, when your less tired, maybe you'll realize that jokes can have rational points too ;) Your comment made BC out to be some arbitrary feature added on a whim to support "some industry that existed 4 years ago", like it had nothing to do with the here and now, nevermind the same industry. It was a bizarre attempt to marginalize BC.

Who gives a crap about early adopter sales in this case? Ultimately the GC looks set to sell roughly half as many units as the N64 did in its lifetime, putting its appeal roughly even with the Xbox which also didn't have the support of a back catalog, coincidentally.

But, hey, if those are the kind of lifetime sales that Nintendo and MS can be happy with then more power to 'em.

They showed that their technology roadmap of the time didn't have the foresight to span generations of hardware and they were unwilling to account for the oversight, presumably hoping other factors could make up for it. Not unlike MS seems to be doing with Xb0x 1->2 transition. Bottom line: not being able to allow for BC is a screw up and its just a question of whether you have enough other features/content to make up for it. Time will tell.

Can you imagine the console costing even $25 more dollars at launch?
Sure I can, but I'll grant you that I have more disposable income than others. How that $25 might affect the purchasing decisions of others ultimately depends on what the total asking price is. What if MS is pitching to sell the xbox 2 at $200 this fall, without BC? Would bumping the the price tag to $225 or even $250 to add BC really hurt sales when two generations of console hardware have shown that you can successfully start selling to a mass audience for as much as $300?

Alternatively there's always the option for MS to just eat the additional cost, accepting the fact that they botched the generational transition by making it harder for themselves to include BC in the first place, making amends for it, and chalking it up to buying better leverage for their marketing in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom