• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Jul 8-21) The International 2014 DOTA 2 Championships: $10.5 million prize pool

ZeroX03

Banned
Arrow Gaming is guaranteed to take this home. 100%. Bet your money on them.

they'll be lucky to finish in the money =(

It's crazy how important the group stages are this year, all teams who finish top 6 are guaranteed $500k (8th place), top 2 are guaranteed $630k.

The first games of phase 3 are going to be amazing matches, winner gets at least $500k loser gets $50k. It's the match that's worth the most outside the grand final

The four chinese teams at top 8 are safe predictions. Add in NaVi who always shows up on TI, Alliance and EG.

The last top 8 spot goes to either C9, Empire, Titan, Fnatic.

I'd add mouz to the list of possible last 8 spots. They didn't do well last year but they are looking good this time around.

Today.

Pyrion + Shane + someone else I can't remember

That is probably the absolute worst combination of people they could pick. Honestly, I was hoping for Purge + Sheever on the noob stream. Purge is very good at explaining the game and can draw in people who watch his tutorial videos to spectate live games. Sheever similarily isn't the most knowledgable caster but has gotten a lot better over the years and is a lot easier to listen to. Pyrion and Shane just sit there and crack jokes while neither of them are exceptionally good casters.

la_briola

That is probably the absolute worst combination of people they could pick. Honestly, I was hoping for Purge + Sheever on the noob stream. Purge is very good at explaining the game and can draw in people who watch his tutorial videos to spectate live games. Sheever similarily isn't the most knowledgable caster but has gotten a lot better over the years and is a lot easier to listen to. Pyrion and Shane just sit there and crack jokes while neither of them are exceptionally good casters.
Purge and Blitz are also on the noob stream, AFAIK.

Sunsfan + Purge is the other caster duo for the noob stream

Kade

Yeah, I'm not sure if Pyrion was the right choice for that particular stream. Or any stream, actually. I like him everywhere but behind the commentary desk.

Razzer

Whilst they do crack jokes, Pyrion usually asks questions that a noob would ask, so they end up being helpful. Also, considering they are specifically on the noob stream rather than downstairs in the EU hub, they should be more focused on actually explaining shit. Pyrion knows man, no worries.

Sunsfan + Purge is the other caster duo for the noob stream

Okay that I like. I will gladly tune in to hear Sunsfan and Purge, but honestly, on the EU Hub I had to ignore every match they put Pyrion near a microphone. It was insufferable, and the commentary was terrible.

Whilst they do crack jokes, Pyrion usually asks questions that a noob would ask, so they end up being helpful. Also, considering they are specifically on the noob stream rather than downstairs in the EU hub, they should be more focused on actually explaining shit. Pyrion knows man, no worries.

Yea but Pyrion always does it sarcastically in an inside joke kinda way. Which is counterintuitive for someone who doesn't know the game.

They also want people to know what the fuck is happening though.

That's a huge part of it. Sunsfan is a good match for Purge because he's quite a bit more light hearted, and both of them are good at analyzing the situation. Pyrion is fun in doses, but he might be my least favorite commentator in the DotA 2 scene (Ayesee when he's with anyone but Fear is also really insufferable).

ViviOggi

Yea but Pyrion always does it sarcastically in an inside joke kinda way. Which is counterintuitive for someone who doesn't know the game.

Not always, back at DreamLeague qualifiers asking honest newbie questions was his role. I don't see it working out too well with Shane instead of dad, though.

Aesthet1c

Do we know the console command yet to auto spectate today's games in the client? I'm going to be at work for most all of the matches today.

kvk1

Woohoooooo.

So excited for this tournament.

crazy.gif

Spookie

They also want people to know what the fuck is happening though.

No one is going to know the game inside and out after one event. As I said I'd rather be entertained and a little enlightened. People who don't know what is going on aren't going to be analyzing every bad cast made by Flax.

Also, EternalEnvy is my single most favourite player just due to how many haters he got.

There is rooting for the underdog. Then there is rooting for the lame outcast sitting in a kennel on his own pouting.

Zeth

Go EG!

Also, EternalEnvy is my single most favourite player just due to how many haters he got.

EternalEnvy is an enigma. One of the most entertaining players/personalities to watch. He believes he lives in the world of an anime and if he puts his mind to it he can do anything, which can make for some interesting outcomes.

Radec

EternalEnvy is an enigma. One of the most entertaining players/personalities to watch. He believes he lives in the world of an anime and if he puts his mind to it he can do anything, which can make for some interesting outcomes.

Not to mention an awful carry who loves to die-back™

:p

Razzer

Screw Envy. That guy is nothing to me. A mere passenger on the S.S. Kappa, headed by Admiral SingSing. Aui and Bone are cool too.

Sora2k7

I hope C9 brings their A game but i doubt that. EE-sama is quite merciful
please don't fEEd EE-sama

also I'll quit watching dota if navi gets second again
/s

Vade

Why did you allow Shira to make this horrible OT Moody, this is worse than two girl 1 cup.

krpiper

Who should I follow? I like the idea of big events but I haven't followed much DOTA competitions. I would like an American team, and I support Everton in the premier league so a team of that nature would also be awesome!

I hope C9 brings their A game but i doubt that. EE-sama is quite merciful
please don't fEEd EE-sama

also I'll quit watching dota if navi gets second again
/s

I am lookign forward to C9 doing well, I hope they refrain from doing the clown stuff. This is TI, I would be hugely dissapointed.

Na'vi won't get 2nd place, don't worry.

Razzer

Who should I follow? I like the idea of big events but I haven't followed much DOTA competitions. I would like an American team, and I support Everton in the premier league so a team of that nature would also be awesome!

The American hope is EG. And considering they are one of the favorites, you'll be seeing a lot of them too, probably.

Edit: They also are blue themed so there's the Everton connection.

EG is an American team, comprised of 3 American players.

Druz

I seem to be in the minority, but in my mind the Chinese teams look rather weak. DK is looking better than they have since TI2, but iG just barely showed signs of life and Newbee is really inconsistant. On the other hand EG has been stomping everyone, Na'vi is always great at The International, Alliance won last year and after a post-win slump have looked solid, and even teams like Empire and Fnatic look very good these days. Then there's C9 who's going with the "Talladega Nights" Strategy--either they will win or end up in last place.

The chinese teams are the most consistant. DK, VG, IG and especially Newbie who i think have a chance to win the whole thing look scary as hell.

I think the only people who have a chance to win that aren't asian are EG and Alliance. The odds are so low.

krpiper

The American hope is EG. And considering they are one of the favorites, you'll be seeing a lot of them too, probably.

Edit: They also are blue themed so there's the Everton connection.

Thanks man! So they wont play until tomorrow? As today is the "play-in" games, ala NCAA First Four? (stupid name)

I also support the Minnesota Vikings sowhereisthatpurpleandyellow but I laughed hard about the Everton connection

There is rooting for the underdog. Then there is rooting for the lame outcast sitting in a kennel on his own pouting.

I was at ESL One and him being devastated by the 2nd loss was heartbreaking to see. His dedication is fascinating and the reason I have an easy time identifying myself with him regardless of all the issues he got.

Top Bottom