• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Jul 8-21) The International 2014 DOTA 2 Championships: $10.5 million prize pool

Einbroch

Banned
The only issue with the meta (from a casual spectactor/player's perspective) is that there's no back-and-forth. Whether or not that's just because the teams play like garbage or not, it's mostly either sub-30 minute GGs or 60+ minute farmfests.

Of course, there are games that break this mold, but I'd like a few more 45 minute back-and-forth, each team winning teamfights, etc.

Might just be the players and not the meta, though.

Edit: Also, lol, I posted that 4chan image because it was funny. Some of you believe that?

Calidor

xiaoba can finally retire, go home and be a family man
happytears.gif

Disappointed with the last few games :( Some teams just aren't fun to watch. Oh well. Kinda weird how not excited Newbee is.

Wtf.

Compare this to Justin Wong winning at EVO. Esports feels lifeless compared to the FGC most of the time.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'm sure there will be a patch soon to mix things up, then you can all bitch about something else.

It says a lot about you people when a team comes from a tie-breaker in the groups to win and you still just cry about Chinese something or other.

ElyrionX

ZERO percent chance. That shit was completely over.

There are very very few things in life that have a 0% probability of occurring and I am fairly certain this wasn't the case.

Fight till the end. All the time. Giving up without even one single rax down? WTF is that shit?

_hekk05

Banned
Code:
>le balanced nihilistic popsicle
>le balanced teleporting treeman
>le balanced slippery cockroach 
>le balanced sandy claws
>le balanced banana snakeman

vs

>le balanced gypsy snake summoner 
>le balanced smashed panda
>le balanced twitchy magic stealer
>le balanced not satan man
>le balanced fire monk

lol

The losers bracket team would have to win two best of 5s. Newbee was the winners bracket winner.

edit: nvm see you got an answer already.

No they wouldn't, VG would only have to win one BO5 like Newbee.

The loser's bracket doesn't have a disadvantage in Dota, as it would either give the winner's bracket team too big of an advantage or result in way too many games. These games ended fast but typically a game takes ~40 minutes, potentially playing 10 games would take waaay too long. We've had BO7's and they were torture.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
You never know until you try. Its 0% when you GG. In every professional sport you don't see people quit even if its one sided in their final games. It makes esports look like a joke.
What's a joke is you acting like they had a chance.

Interfectum

It's not "the meta." Some of you need to stop using terms just to use them. VG played like total catshit three games in a row. It had nothing to do with the balance of the game or Icefraud.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm sure there will be a patch soon to mix things up, then you can all bitch about something else.

It says a lot about you people when a team comes from a tie-breaker in the groups to win and you still just cry about Chinese something or other.

Dota circa TI3 was pretty damn good IMO. I mean, I bitched about Phantom Lancer a lot, but whatever

AcridMeat

Banned
What the hell happened to the noob stream. The only audio is some people in a studio walking around. This is fitting for how the finals played out.

Imagine replacing Newbee with Navi and run the same playstyle.
I don't think so many here will call that boring.
I think it's just that we don't know the players well and therefore can't relate to them.

Edit: But yeah, the stomps (and the series not reaching the 5th game) were kinda underwhelming for a grandfinals match.

Lucumo

You never know until you try. Its 0% when you GG. In every professional sport you don't see people quit even if its one sided in their final games. It makes esports look like a joke.

I agree, what a terrible final game. This wasn't supposed how it should have ended. DK vs Navi would have been awesome, I bet =/

Dahbomb

They got out drafted and they got out played.

Picked two games full of squishy heroes against heroes with high burst damage and tankability. Their fate was sealed at the character select screen.

This isn't a problem with the meta but a problem with the players (more specifically the skill difference between VG and Newbie in the finals). The meta rewards aggressive teams as it should be... far superior to 4 protect 1 rice farm strats.

traveler

Not Wario
It's not meta; it's one sided games. Wouldn't have mattered if the finals were rat or deathball- seeing a bunch of one sided games just isn't hype, and the length, while merciful, only cemented the one sided nature.

BeesEight

The only issue with the meta (from a casual spectactor/player's perspective) is that there's no back-and-forth. Whether or not that's just because the teams play like garbage or not, it's mostly either sub-30 minute GGs or 60+ minute farmfests.

Of course, there are games that break this mold, but I'd like a few more 45 minute back-and-forth, each team winning teamfights, etc.

Might just be the players and not the meta, though.

Edit: Also, lol, I posted that 4chan image because it was funny. Some of you believe that?

We were really spoiled last year with a fantastic grand finals. It's... so lackluster seeing VG go out in three really short games because they kept drafting a strategy that did nothing but give them short losses.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's not "the meta." Some of you need to stop using terms just to use them. VG played like total catshit three games in a row. It had nothing to do with the balance of the game or Icefraud.

So were like all of the teams in the finals similarly shit? Because this same general pattern happened over and over

zkylon

zkylewd
newbie stream was pretty cool, i still barely understood anything but prolly my fault, i wasn't paying enough attention

so no cup, just the shield? is it like aegis or something?

i think that's actually pretty cool

belushy

Banned
No they wouldn't, VG would only have to win one BO5 like Newbee.

The loser's bracket doesn't have a disadvantage in Dota, as it would either give the winner's bracket team too big of an advantage or result in way too many games. These games ended fast but typically a game takes ~40 minutes, potentially playing 10 games would take waaay too long. We've had BO7's and they were torture.

Thanks for the clarification.

Biggest yawn in the fucking universe.

newbie stream was pretty cool, i still barely understood anything but prolly my fault, i wasn't paying enough attention

so no cup, just the shield? is it like aegis or something?

i think that's actually pretty cool

Yep, just the shield. And a bigass cheque.

Top Bottom