• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Jul 8-21) The International 2014 DOTA 2 Championships: $10.5 million prize pool

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Valve still hasn't figured out the closing ceremony, But compared to previous years, It's better!

As others have mentioned, A little underwhelming. Newbee just played way too well though, Very much deserved win.

KaYotiX

Banned
I'm sure there will be a patch soon to mix things up, then you can all bitch about something else.

It says a lot about you people when a team comes from a tie-breaker in the groups to win and you still just cry about Chinese something or other.

I just wanted good games, the finals was a shit stomp by Newbee.

Was hoping for close games and all 5..... :(

K.Sabot

So the meta this year ended up way more boring than last year.

- Shadow Shaman meh
- Razor meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh
- DP meeeeeeeeeeeeeh
- Doom meeeeeeeeeeeeeeh
- Brew eh, but not meh

- Void had his moments

I miss the Magnus days.

Kenturoxx

The meta in TI4 was pretty much all in deathball push or picking super carries to farm the entire map. The reason i predicted Newbee to win is because I knew they would be the most adaptable team.

Nokterian

newbie stream was pretty cool, i still barely understood anything but prolly my fault, i wasn't paying enough attention

so no cup, just the shield? is it like aegis or something?

i think that's actually pretty cool

And 5 million dollars. The aegis will be updated in the game and there names will be in there at the fountain.

There are very very few things in life that have a 0% probability of occurring and I am fairly certain this wasn't the case.

Fight till the end. All the time. Giving up without even one single rax down? WTF is that shit?

You never know until you try. Its 0% when you GG. In every professional sport you don't see people quit even if its one sided in their final games. It makes esports look like a joke.

Stop comparing this to sports, they're incomparible. Every gg was justified, everyone would have whined if they didn't gg out. They were down by way too much way too fast and if they didn't gg it would have just resulted in them getting stomped for 10 more minutes, which is just bad for morale and has no advantages.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
They didn't but its better then GG. I don't understand why this is hard for you to understand even if it was 0.000000001%. Thats better then 0%.
No professional wants to sit there and get shat on for another 10 minutes. You better believe LeBron would have nuked some of those finals games after the 3rd quarter.

Cutebrute

This was my first TI, and I really enjoyed some of the matches during the group stages and I liked some of the crazy shit the western teams occasionally threw out there, but most of the main event felt like a safe tournament of throws by fully competent players. It felt stale and boring by the end, and I don't think the matches themselves will encourage people to join the DOTA scene.

The year's TI was all about that community-driven $11 million prize pool, and not a whole lot else.

Shengar

Imagine replacing Newbee with Navi and run the same playstyle.
I don't think so many here will call that boring.
I think it's just that we don't know the players well and therefore can't relate to them.

Edit: But yeah, the stomps (and the series not reaching the 5th game) were kinda underwhelming for a grandfinals match.
Not the playstyle for me, but the stomps just like you said. Personally I like Newbee fast response, and rotating playstyle, but VG really hit the ball here with playing so badly that they always have the poor side of the trade for every team fight.

I miss the Magnus days.

Magnus has his moment?

Vire

Stop comparing this to sports, they're incomparible. Every gg was justified, everyone would have whined if they didn't gg out. They were down by way too much way too fast and if they didn't gg it would have just resulted in them getting stomped for 10 more minutes, which is just bad for morale and has no advantages.

The last one had zero justification stop making excuses. Your moral is not going to be worse than just giving up the deciding game and losing the tournament. I don't see why fighting to the end is not something that doesn't apply to every competition.

Acinixys

WHAT THE ABSOLUTE FUCK

THIS IS A GRAND
FUCKING
FINALS

15 MINUTE GG?

NO YOU FUCKING DONT

I DONT EVEN WANT TO HEAR

FUCK EVEN THE CAPTCHA IS PISSING ME OFF

BRB IMMA GO PLAY BETTER THAN VG BY FEEDING IN A PUB

#just4chanthings

Why would you stomp the same heroes three times after the first time didn't work? Isn't that the definition of insanity?

Boring ending, such an exciting build up leading to 1 normal game and 3 pub stomps.

Newbee just way too good this TI

I think VG is just too good for everyone this TI, except Newbee who knows how to play against their meta.

It is like [A] rat dota in TI3 that dominated the tourney, but except this time there is one team in Newbee that is cut from the same tree as the dominant team and uses this to take the Aegis.

VG is superior this TI4, but Newbee knew how to counter them.

zkylon

zkylewd
hostess girl doing selfie with navi guy was pretty cringeworthy tho

i really appreciate doto worlds not being all business and having their own cringy stuff

makes me feel like we're all humans

Absolutely no females in the grand finals except Puck, if you count her.

Sexism wins.
yea

very little effort made into hooking me to doto

And 5 million dollars. The aegis will be updated in the game and there names will be in there at the fountain.
that's all very cool

Wow at people thinking this is rigged and wow at poeple believing that twitter. Welcome to the internet. Twitter also predicted the football World cup correct, even the 7-1! WOW!

GG at Newbee, a class for themself this tournament!

ElyrionX

BAD FOR MORALE?

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

FIVE MILLION FUCKING DOLLARS ON THE LINE. IF THAT'S NOT ENOUGH MORALE FOR PEOPLE FROM A COUNTRY WHERE THE AVERAGE INCOME IS FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS A YEAR I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS.

Exactly. Now imagine a prize pool that big. Justin would have probably died. So many barrel rolls.

Garireo after winning $20k at EVO

ibeumanuiVYJdc.jpg

Dahbomb

So the meta this year ended up way more boring than last year.

- Shadow Shaman meh
- Razor meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh
- DP meeeeeeeeeeeeeh
- Doom meeeeeeeeeeeeeeh
- Brew eh, but not meh

- Void had his moments

I miss the Magnus days.
I don't know man... last year also had Naga, OD, Lifestealer, Ezalor, Visage, Alchemist (carry) that people loved to complain about.

Last year just had an epic finals that is almost impossible to recreate.

Top Bottom