• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

Kenta Kobashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki - GHC Heavyweight Title - (NOAH 2005/01/08)

Good clash of styles here with Suzuki playing the arrogant, invading heel role really well. Much of the match is built around Suzuki's strikes and submissions throwing Kobashi off his game and while Kobashi keeps trying to draw him into a slugfest, Minoru's having none of it. The finish falls a bit flat with the crowd, as it's a pretty crazy stretch of moves that just sort of come out of nowhere. I think the idea was that Kobashi realises half-way through the match just how much of a threat Minoru is to his title reign, so he says "fuck it" and goddamn finishes Suzuki before he can destroy Kobashi's knees further.

Kobashi.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When Lita vs Trish is the 'gold standard', you should realize that you shouldn't take the WWE womens division seriously. Just be happy they get paid well and realize that a lot of them are models/fitness types who are just happy to get a check.

FFS, they're called DIVAS.

Yeah. For all the talk about Trish or Lita being a strong role model, I just can't. It's nowhere near. Not even close.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Why would you want to waste them in WWE where they'll job to Bellas?

I want sports entertainment to get better and I want the number one company to start treating women and minorities like equals. TNA catches a lot of flack but they let the women have real feuds and matches and their current world champion is a black man. They don't always get it right, and they fall into sleazy garbage territory as well, but it's better than WWE on that front a lot of the time.

I've read two blogs in the past week telling me to "get over it" and accept that John Cena will never turn heel and when in doubt, put the title on Cena.

Why the fuck should I?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've read two blogs in the past week telling me to "get over it" and accept that John Cena will never turn heel and when in doubt, put the title on Cena.

Why the fuck should I?

Because Cena would be a shitty heel. He's not going to magically stop burying people and being allowed to bend promo rules in his favor once he's a hel.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Kenta Kobashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki - GHC Heavyweight Title - (NOAH 2005/01/08)

Good clash of styles here with Suzuki playing the arrogant, invading heel role really well. Much of the match is built around Suzuki's strikes and submissions throwing Kobashi off his game and while Kobashi keeps trying to draw him into a slugfest, Minoru's having none of it. The finish falls a bit flat with the crowd, as it's a pretty crazy stretch of moves that just sort of come out of nowhere. I think the idea was that Kobashi realises half-way through the match just how much of a threat Minoru is to his title reign, so he says "fuck it" and goddamn finishes Suzuki before he can destroy Kobashi's knees further.

If there's one promotion I wish I had seen more of, it's NOAH. It's a blank spot in my education that I need to work more on. Are you getting tired of Kobashi yet, Boots? You've been binging like crazy.

Aiii

So not worth it

To be fair, people put too much weight on this. It's a silly name the marketing department came up with just so they could trademark the shit out of that.

They've actually been reverting back to calling them women a lot more recently. As well as actually calling matches and focussing on women's storylines on commentary. There does seem to be a push to take the women more seriously in WWE.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I want sports entertainment to get better and I want the number one company to start treating women and minorities like equals. TNA catches a lot of flack but they let the women have real feuds and matches and their current world champion is a black man. They don't always get it right, and they fall into sleazy garbage territory as well, but it's better than WWE on that front a lot of the time.

I agree with you there. TNA is like "hey, sure, this is trash, but EVERYONE here is a piece of our BEST garbage!"

TNA actually kept Awesome Kong around for a long time too :( Loved her! So good, so strong!

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
The Fall of NOAH bums the hell out of me. It was one of my favorite promotions a few years ago, but it's so stale now. Has it gotten better Boots?

Sephzilla

Why the fuck should I?

Meh, honestly, Cena being champ again doesn't get me wound up in comparison to how it used to get me wound up. It's just going to cause me to cancel my Network sub, tune out of Raw for a while, and not pick up watching again until Royal Rumble time.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I agree with you there. TNA is like "hey, sure, this is trash, but EVERYONE here is a piece of our BEST garbage!"

TNA actually kept Awesome Kong around for a long time too :( Loved her! So good, so strong!

They also had Alpha Female last year!

Also, look at the card for Knockouts Knockdown II

Gail Kim vs. Veda Scott
Angelina Love vs. Scarlett Bordeaux
Madison Rayne vs. Jessicka Havok
Reby Sky vs. Velvet Sky
Taryn Terrell vs. Karlee Perez
Mia Yim vs. Brittany
Brooke Tessmacher vs. Deonna
Marti Belle vs. ODB

Winners Gauntlet Match

Because Cena would be a shitty heel. He's not going to magically stop burying people and being allowed to bend promo rules in his favor once he's a hel.

It would interesting at least in the beginning but then the writers wouldn't know what to do with his character thus turning him back to a face.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So here's the deal. Raw yesterday was amazing. Might have been the best Raw of the year, or if not, only second to the Raw after Mania.

But hey, lets complain about shit instead. Make your lists, get pissed off again.

Agreed 100%. Had a blast watching RAW last night. There are just people who are going to be unhappy no matter what.

Yeahhhh c'mon man, the religion trap is the oldest trick in the book~ You're doin fine in the topic.

Ayo, speaking of wrasslin' blogs what ones do you guys check out?

When I first got into following IWC stuff I read camelclutchblog but they barely post anymore, always do the "get over it cena wins" and turns out they were always affiliated with a creepy bbw dating ring or something, yikes.

Halp.

Cagey

Banned
When Lita vs Trish is the 'gold standard', you should realize that you shouldn't take the WWE womens division seriously. Just be happy they get paid well and realize that a lot of them are models/fitness types who are just happy to get a check.

Divas are the female versions of hustlers.

John Cena is about hustle, it's his first tenet.

Divas and John Cena have a close bond because of this.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
¡HarlequinPanic!;119061461 said:
Yeahhhh c'mon man, the religion trap is the oldest trick in the book~ You're doin fine in the topic.

Ayo, speaking of wrasslin' blogs what ones do you guys check out?

When I first got into following IWC stuff I read camelclutchblog but they barely post anymore, always do the "get over it cena wins" and turns out they were always affiliated with a creepy bbw dating ring or something, yikes.

Halp.

I only read legitshook.com. I don't really read wrestling blogs.

If there's one promotion I wish I had seen more of, it's NOAH. It's a blank spot in my education that I need to work more on. Are you getting tired of Kobashi yet, Boots? You've been binging like crazy.

NOAH was really, really good in their first years, I'd definitely recommend seeking out any of their bigger yearly events (Departure, Great Voyage, etc) from that time. As for Kobashi burn-out, I'm still enjoying the matches a ton, but some of these later matches have been hard to watch knowing how broken down his body became.

Spider from Mars said:
The Fall of NOAH bums the hell out of me. It was one of my favorite promotions a few years ago, but it's so stale now. Has it gotten better Boots?

In some ways, yes, in others, no. The Jr's scene is pretty good at present, as NOAH made a number of signings from K-Dojo & M-Pro (Daisuke Harada, Atsushi Kotoge, Kenou, Hajime Ohara) that have really livened things up. Plus, Zack Sabre Jr. & Yoshinari Ogawa are an awesome Jr's tag team. On the heavyweight side of things, Nagata's still champion, which is cool, but there's literally freaking NO ONE to get excited about. Unless another Marufuji title reign sounds appealing to you. The heavyweight tag title stuff is real good, though - Dangan Yankees (Sugiura & Masato Tanaka) are the current champs. They're facing TMDK (who have improved a ton in the past couple of years) at the Great Voyage show this Saturday, which also features Nagata (c) vs Marufuji and Nakajima & Saito vs Shibata & Goto.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
NOAH was really, really good in their first years, I'd definitely recommend seeking out any of their bigger yearly events (Departure, Great Voyage, etc) from that time. As for Kobashi burn-out, I'm still enjoying the matches a ton, but some of these later matches have been hard to watch knowing how broken down his body became.

In some ways, yes, in others, no. The Jr's scene is pretty good at present, as NOAH made a number of signings from K-Dojo & M-Pro (Daisuke Harada, Atsushi Kotoge, Kenou, Hajime Ohara) that have really livened things up. Plus, Zack Sabre Jr. & Yoshinari Ogawa are an awesome Jr's tag team. On the heavyweight side of things, Nagata's still champion, which is cool, but there's literally freaking NO ONE to get excited about. Unless another Marufuji title reign sounds appealing to you. The heavyweight tag title stuff is real good, though - Dangan Yankees (Sugiura & Masato Tanaka) are the current champs. They're facing TMDK (who have improved a ton in the past couple of years) at the Great Voyage show this Saturday, which also features Nagata (c) vs Marufuji and Nakajima & Saito vs Shibata & Goto.

michael-cole-gongs-nxt-o.gif

Verendus

Banned
Spoilers follow for Summerslam and beyond, just in case.

If WWE is doing Lesnar vs. Cena at Summerslam, they should have Brock win. But as it's obvious he's not going to get a long reign as he's only on limited appearances, rather than a rematch where he loses clean (I do think WWE is dumb enough to do this), they should book Cena vs. Lesnar vs. Batista for Night of Champions. This way he can lose the title whilst still looking like a beast and not being pinned. Plus, I really want to see that triple threat. Three biggest stars since Austin and Rock left in one match.

FFS

They haven't even formed a search party for him, this should be the entire Storyline this season. People walk around going 'Where is Rey?' 'Have you seen Rey?' 'Hey man, I haven't seen Rey for a while.' 'Yeah, he's Mysterio-sly disappeared.'

Stupid WWE missing a golden storyline here.

Browny

Banned
FFS

They haven't even formed a search party for him, this should be the entire Storyline this season. People walk around going 'Where is Rey?' 'Have you seen Rey?' 'Hey man, I haven't seen Rey for a while.' 'Yeah, he's Mysterio-sly disappeared.'

Stupid WWE missing a golden storyline here.

They
well Zack Ryder
tried that a while back...

9-13-2012+10-59-13+AM.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If Boootaay is doing Kobashi, I'm going to do....
tumblr_n26tkcogDj1s54jgfo1_500.png

Muta!

Great Muta (c) vs Shinya Hashimoto - IWGP Heavyweight & Greatest 18 Club title - NJPW (9/23/2014) -- because i'm Murrican.

It's 1992, and Muta's entrance attire game is weak. He's just got a jacket, but I do so love his red pants. And his walking. And everything. Everything Muta does is perfect. Hashimoto always seems completely unbothered by Muta's bullshit. Muta kept leaving the ring as he wants to do. By the third time, Hashimoto gets pissed and comes out to chop and throw him back inside. The match is kind of boring for the first half and then Muta starts biting Hashimoto. I think my favorite spot isn't really a spot. Hashimoto starts to get in the ring, and the camera is behind Hashimoto looking at Muta who's waiting to get in the ring. There's this slow build just to Hashimoto entering the ring. That's how you can tell it's a Muta match. The slow build on the simplest things that makes them all the more memorable. Muta can sense his face paint is rubbing off, so he decides to grab a spike and stick it in his boot... But that's not enough as he steals a chair from a fan and brings that in as well. Just in case. He mists Hashimoto. And just to make sure while Hashimoto is selling it, he grabs his head and mists him point blank. What a dick. Muta moonsaults and wins.
hashimotodeniesrgj3s.gif

I don't get why people want Sting vs Undertaker. As far as 'paranormal' characters go, Sting is absolute shit tier. His most over the top was where he said nothing then after that he just reverted to Surfer Sting but in black and white instead of neon. Muta, Hakushi, Kevin Sullivan, even Vampiro are all better at that than Sting. Muta vs Undertaker would be a way better match. I may do his Onita match next. That's a weird match.

New Wrestling rule for the handbook. Never EVER go outside the ring with Muta.

I'd be infinitely more excited for Muta vs Taker than Sting vs Taker - his body might be broken down, but Muta's theatrics and ability to tell a story in the ring shit all over Sting. If Sting vs Taker happens, expect dullness.

My thoughts exactly. I can't ever recall a wrestler with such talent who is as so incredibly inconsistent as Marufuji - he seems to jump between being amazing, unnecessarily convoluted and utterly disinterested, sometimes all in a single match.

NOAH's main problem is a lack of talent - which, funnily enough, is the same problem AJPW, W-1 & ZERO1 all share. If just one of those groups went out of business or merged with another, it could help a ton. I'd mix NOAH & W-1, who already have a working agreement with Z1 - that'd give a champion like Nagata a load of instant challengers for his title; Masa Funaki, Koji Kanemoto, Minoru Tanaka, KAI, Kono, Sato, Sai etc.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wolfpac ruined Sting's character, but was probably his most marketable period.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
My thoughts exactly. I can't ever recall a wrestler with such talent who is as so incredibly inconsistent as Marufuji - he seems to jump between being amazing, unnecessarily convoluted and utterly disinterested, sometimes all in a single match.

NOAH's main problem is a lack of talent - which, funnily enough, is the same problem AJPW, W-1 & ZERO1 all share. If just one of those groups went out of business or merged with another, it could help a ton. I'd mix NOAH & W-1, who already have a working agreement with Z1 - that'd give a champion like Nagata a load of instant challengers for his title; Masa Funaki, Koji Kanemoto, Minoru Tanaka, KAI, Kono, Sato, Sai etc.

You can see the attendance drops in most of those promotions. With New Japan recovering from its lull, do you see any other promotion taking some prominance? With All Japan cutting half it's roster, NOAH in a deep funk, W-1 having it's issue with drawing and talent.
Does that leave Dragon Gate the number 2?

XenoRaven

I don't get why people want Sting vs Undertaker. As far as 'paranormal' characters go, Sting is absolute shit tier. His most over the top was where he said nothing then after that he just reverted to Surfer Sting but in black and white instead of neon. Muta, Hakushi, Kevin Sullivan, even Vampiro are all better at that than Sting. Muta vs Undertaker would be a way better match. I may do his Onita match next. That's a weird match.
I always thought it was because they were two legendary guys that had a ton of longevity, are both arguably still in the business after all this time, but have never met in the ring because they never worked for the same company at the same time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
its been a while but i saw the bo dallas promo against Titus, it was hilarious. How long has he been doing this gimmick?

Oh my god, it was wonderful. I still laugh at his adlib "silly me and my butterfingers!" It's been...two months on the main roster? On NXT it's been more than a year I bolieve. It's excellent.

Top Bottom