• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Junichi Masuda talks about the future for Pokémon on Nintendo Switch

they should get help from monolith soft and make the best and biggest pokemon game ever

That's the absolute worst thing they could do in their opinion, raising their games' standard which they would have to uphold somewhat for future titles.

Nah, we'll keep getting the same ludicrously small iterations and they'll keep selling millions and that's all.

RockmanBN

"Of course, it is very difficult to make the game, so I hope people don’t get their expectations up too high,” Masuda admitted. “We’ll do our best.”

Already not liking the sounds of this. Seems like they're making excuses ahead of the next game getting killed for not having postgame, arbitrarily cut QoL features etc.

I guess I'm just gonna have to live with the fact that Gens IV-V was peak GF before the nonsense with VI and a somewhat better Gen VII.
VI, VII were disappointments as whole, especially in post game content. Though I appreciate their attempt to change up the formula. Even though as a whole, it felt like the same experience as previous games.

Rncewind

Sure sure. I'm pretty sure NeoGAF's incredible insights on game development and successful predictions are more reliable.

Are you being dense or are you protecting poor gamefreak?

We are talking about a company which is known for removing features which are were liked while their game running like shit having the most sold copies of the franchise on the said hardware. You can try the narrative of how people are being mean "without a reason" all you want but its not gonna be less silly.

"Of course, it is very difficult to make the game, so I hope people don’t get their expectations up too high,”

tumblr_inline_nbqxqih5xJ1rhbupm.png

LordKano

Are you being dense or are you protecting poor gamefreak?

We are talking about a company which is known for removing features which are were liked while their game running like shit having the most sold copies of the franchise on the said hardware. You can try the narrative of how people are being mean "without a reason" all you want but its not gonna be less silly.

"well know for their game running like shit" two games out of the bazilion they've produced is hardly "being known" for, unless you're absolutely willing to spin a narrative that I'm sure suits you perfectly. Removing features and adding others are the core of developping a sequel, you might not like some changes, it doesn't make them any less incomptetent in terms of game development.

Every mainline Pokémon game has been met with critical and commercial success. There's a reason for that.

Wow, so many people with inside knowledge of how Game Freak works and how much effort they put into their games.
I wonder why you're here posting and not making the games yourselves...

Rncewind

"well know for their game running like shit" two games out of the bazilion they've produced is hardly "being known" for, unless you're absolutely willing to spin a narrative that I'm sure suits you perfectly. Removing features and adding others are the core of developping a sequel, you might not like some changes, it doesn't make them any less incomptetent in terms of game development.

Every mainline Pokémon game has been met with critical and commercial success. There's a reason for that.

What narrative? Do you want go back to the gameboy äera or what, where 90 % of that people are not working their right now? have fun with that. Yes i am talking about the past 6 years and their 3 latest games, sry for pushing a narrative. Also removing features without reason is not the core of a sequel, what kind of bollocks is that? Where did you get that "dev insight"?

Also nice strawman there, if its succesfull its absolves them from critic, wow.

But carry on, 99 % of that thread must be having the agenda to pushing my narrative because they calling GF out on that.
I blame critics giving the recent lazy pokemon games very high scores as well.

i learned today its ok to being lazy if you have high scores, sry

AzureFlame

Wow, so many people with inside knowledge of how Game Freak works and how much effort they put into their games.
I wonder why you're here posting and not making the games yourselves...

All i know they are very successful with enough money to hire the best programmers out there and enough to make AAA budget games, but they don't want to, because they know they'll still sell very well despite the quality of their games and most of their fans will love their games blindly.

Aleh

I blame critics giving the recent lazy pokemon games very high scores as well.

Sun and Moon are the best entries yet. Graphically some of the best on the platform, and the only performance issues they have are during battles and only because the models are too good for the 3DS.
Ultra SM being akin to third versions will probably fix many issues and add a ton of content like Platinum (one of the most praised games along with BW2) did for Diamond and Pearl back then, so there's really no justifications for all these complaints towards Game Freak right now in my opinion. They're even saying they're working hard on the Switch game because it requires even more effort, and people still aren't happy? I'm baffled.

Ydelnae

Open world nearly ruined JRPG series like Tales Of and Final Fantasy and people still try to shoehorn it into more series that don't need it at all. A world like Breath of the Wild would ruin the Pokemon series and it's not what the games have been about until now. If you keep wishing for it to happen, I think the best you should do is to find another series that meet that criteria, because to this day I still don't understand people who ask for a console open world game as if that is what the series need (or a game with every region, which would result in a game design mess). It would take a lot for Game Freak to show me that a Breath of the Wild type of reboot would fit the main series.

My wish for Gen VIII is for them to expand onto the level design for Sun and Moon with more detail and bigger scale. Something like console DQXI but designed around portable exploration. My only fear is that the jump into HD development is used as an excuse to offer another bland region with uninteresting art design just like the jump into 3D graphics affected Kalos. If they keep the art design from B/W and S/M and build into the things the latest games were already experimenting with, I would be satisfied. There's no rush for Gen VIII as long as Ultra Sun/Moon are good entries.

LordKano

What narrative? Do you want go back to the gameboy äera or what, where 90 % of that people are not working their right now? have fun with that. Yes i am talking about the past 6 years and their 3 latest games, sry for pushing a narrative. Also removing features without reason is not the core of a sequel, what kind of bollocks is that? Where did you get that "dev insight"?

Also nice strawman there, if its succesfull its absolves them from critic, wow.

But carry on, 99 % of that thread must be having the agenda to pushing my narrative because they calling GF out on that.

Who talked about removing features without reason ? Removing AND (because you purposedly ignored that) adding features is the core of developping a sequel. That's elementary. You don't necessarily take everything from the previous game and just keep adding on top of them. And, gameplay-wise, they haven't removed anything, as they didn't feel like they had to.

Again, I never said either that it absolves them from criticism, but it seems now obvious that you're not the kind of person that is going to change their biased opinion anyway, no matter the facts. Whatever then.

What does it matter? All major Nintendo games will be playable in both docked and portable mode, so the touchscreen won't be of any essential use.

Even if 80%+ of the users are using handheld mode only (impossible imo), they're not going to abandon the other 20% anyway.

I mean, I was responding to a comment that was false.
Whether or not the difference matters to you, stating that there isn't a difference is unquestionably false.

Rncewind

Who talked about removing features without reason ? Removing AND (because you purposedly ignored that) adding features is the core of developping a sequel. That's elementary. You don't necessarily take everything from the previous game and just keep adding on top of them. And, gameplay-wise, they haven't removed anything, as they didn't feel like they had to.

Again, I never said either that it absolves them from criticism, but it seems now obvious that you're not the kind of person that is going to change their biased opinion anyway, no matter the facts. Whatever then.

You mean purposedly ignored like you my first point? Also no i didnt ignore that, adding new features dont offset features being removed, stop making a absurd point. Why are pokemon following you or gym leader matches or effing autorun, which dev told you thats elementary? And the list only goes on. Also their other things as well as other people mention like scale. People are seriously saying if you expecting moree then a upsclaed 3ds game in terms of scope are unrealistisc. lol

Also if you not want to say that absolves then from critisim, then say why you wrote this sentence instead going about how biased the other person are while you are being the god of objectivity. And before you go on about that, yes i know you didnt wrote that, thats what is called implication.

AzureFlame

Sun and Moon are the best entries yet. Graphically some of the best on the platform, and the only performance issues they have are during battles and only because the models are too good for the 3DS.
Ultra SM being akin to third versions will probably fix many issues and add a ton of content like Platinum (one of the most praised games along with BW2) did for Diamond and Pearl back then, so there's really no justifications for all these complaints towards Game Freak right now in my opinion. They're even saying they're working hard on the Switch game because it requires even more effort, and people still aren't happy? I'm baffled.

Maybe you don't have much exprenice in JRPGs in General

Sun & Moon had alot of issues as an rpg and a pokemon game, the handholding, the story, the cutscenes, the linearity, and really weird game design choices, no side quests, weak post game, the trails minigames are really boring and easy, the whole game is actually super easy, i know they are targeting kids audience but come on.. kid can play games better than me these days..

Of course there are alot more negatives i forgot to mention, and yet the fans still say they're the best in the series and they are asking for console quality pokemon game at the same time, Lol.

Edit: oh and i forgot the remove of some features or them not being used to make the older games that had them feel special.

TDLink

Open world nearly ruined JRPG series like Tales Of and Final Fantasy and people still try to shoehorn it into more series that don't need it at all. A world like Breath of the Wild would ruin the Pokemon series and it's not what the games have been about until now. If you keep wishing for it to happen, I think the best you should do is to find another series that meet that criteria, because to this day I still don't understand people who ask for a console open world game as if that is what the series need (or a game with every region, which would result in a game design mess). It would take a lot for Game Freak to show me that a Breath of the Wild type of reboot would fit the main series.

No it didn't at all. What "ruined" them is a move away from their more traditional gameplay. Even FF12, which was definitely a step into "open world" and a step away from turn based was still a fantastic game. These games always -wanted- to be open world, and for their time they basically were. Stuff like going to an overworld or using vehicles like boats and airships to get around are very much precursors to the modern open world. That's all irrelevant here though. Yes, open world isn't for everything. For Pokemon it absolutely is.

There's no reason Pokemon can't still have its traditional turn based combat. But an open world you can move about in a 3D space would actually benefit this particular series. Running through tall grass and -actually- coming across the monster you've been hunting. Or seeing it off in the distance, like the elusive blupees in BOTW and chasing it down. That stuff would work for Pokemon. Then when you actually fight it, sure, make it turn based like normal.

Pokemon is all about setting off on and partaking in an adventure, hunting down monsters, and conquering gyms. This is like the perfect franchise for open world.

Cartho

It's a good video. I think one of the more interesting things was that they were kind of hammering the "go and buy a Switch!" point. Which is yet more evidence, at least the way I see it, that the future of Pokemon is on the system, despite what some people may say about 4DSs etc.

I think the forum posts they read out were also carefully chosen too. I'm hyped. Even if it's a shiny version of Sun and Moon for the first Switch title I'd buy it as I skipped S&M due to selling my 3DS so I could afford a Switch.

brad-t

Open world nearly ruined JRPG series like Tales Of and Final Fantasy and people still try to shoehorn it into more series that don't need it at all. A world like Breath of the Wild would ruin the Pokemon series and it's not what the games have been about until now. If you keep wishing for it to happen, I think the best you should do is to find another series that meet that criteria, because to this day I still don't understand people who ask for a console open world game as if that is what the series need (or a game with every region, which would result in a game design mess).

One of the first Pokémon games' defining characteristics was a large world to explore that was created in-scale with the player character model. When compared to traditional JRPGs with their abstracted world maps, this had quite the impact (especially on the Game Boy) and along with its interconnected routes and caves served to make the game's world feel much more "open."

I don't expect the level of openness that BotW has, but Pokémon has always been a game that's about traveling as much as it is battling; it would be nice to see the world-venturing aspect of the game get some much-deserved expansion.

LotusHD

Banned
There's no reason Pokemon can't still have its traditional turn based combat. But an open world you can move about in a 3D space would actually benefit this particular series. Running through tall grass and -actually- coming across the monster you've been hunting. Or seeing it off in the distance, like the elusive blupees in BOTW and chasing it down.

I don't see them ever doing the bolded.

they should get help from monolith soft and make the best and biggest pokemon game ever

Not sure how Monolith-soft would help with that outside of making a goddamn beautiful and well-designed region for a Pokemon game where the overworld is seen from a third person perspective

(which would be fucking sweet beyond words)

Allow? They aren't going to stop them from doing what they're going to do. Part of me wants to seem them do it just for the salt.

I mean, just based on the OP that seems pretty unlikely. But either way it would be an HD mainline Pokemon game so I'd be happy.

LordKano

Allow? They aren't going to stop them from doing what they're going to do. Part of me wants to seem them do it just for the salt.

They're not making a handled mode-only game if there isn't a reason why it has to be handled only. So far it has been the case with the two handled-only games released.

Aleh

Maybe you don't have much exprenice in JRPGs in General

Sun & Moon had alot of issues as an rpg and a pokemon game, the handholding, the story, the cutscenes, the linearity, and really weird game design choices, no side quests, weak post game, the trails minigames are really boring and easy, the whole game is actually super easy, i know they are targeting kids audience but come on.. kid can play games better than me these days..

Of course there are alot more negatives i forgot to mention, and yet the fans still say they're the best in the series and they are asking for console quality pokemon game at the same time, Lol.

Edit: oh and i forgot the remove of some features or them not being used to make the older games that had them feel special.

I can agree on the handholding and the bad handling of the cutscenes, but the story is the best they've made so far, it's less linear than Black and White were, and linearity isn't intrinsically a negative thing anyway. The post game isn't any weaker than any first gen pair either. I really enjoyed the trials and found some of them to be more challenging than gym leaders, specifically Lurantis and Mimikkyu. The game overall also was much harder than XY and ORAS. So really I don't see how some people are so fixated in considering their own views as absolute truths, but I guess that happens everywehre.

diaspora

They're not making a handled mode-only game if there isn't a reason why it has to be handled only. So far it has been the case with the two handled-only games released.
If they decide to throw in touch functionality then they will make it handheld only. It's clear they don't and shouldn't give a shit about TV users.
Disappointed because Gamefreak isn't capable of making video games beyond the PS1 era?

There's going to be a point where review scores catch up with Gamefreak, and it's not going to be pretty. Pokemon may have ruled the DS and 3DS eras by default, but a mediocre effort on the same console as mainline Zelda is going to look pathetic.
Yes, PS1 efforts with Pokemon models with sub 360 level polycounts. Fuck off.

JoeM86

Disappointed because Gamefreak isn't capable of making video games beyond the PS1 era?

There's going to be a point where review scores catch up with Gamefreak, and it's not going to be pretty. Pokemon may have ruled the DS and 3DS eras by default, but a mediocre effort on the same console as mainline Zelda is going to look pathetic.

How is it not beyond the PS1 era?

Come the hell on. Stop with the hyperbole bull.

How would it be a mediocre effort? Not everything has to be an open air or massively open world game. Jesus christ.

13ruce

Banned
No way the game is going to be handheld only lol no way. People have been wanting to play a mainline Pokemon game on TV for years, there is literally no way they will make it handheld only if they do the backlash would be huge AF.

Gamefreak is not always the best but i am sure they atleast know this lol.

diaspora

No way the game is going to be handheld only lol no way. People have been wanting to play a mainline Pokemon game on TV for years, there is literally no way they will make it handheld only if they do the backlash would be huge AF.
Dozens of us gif

If they decide to throw in touch functionality then they will make it handheld only. It's clear they don't and shouldn't give a shit about TV users.

Touch-screen functionality has always been supplemental to old-school button presses in Pokemon games. If there's stuff in there that's handheld-only, it'll be touchscreen-centric minigames like Super Training, and that's it.

LordKano

Yes, PS1 efforts with Pokemon models with sub 360 level polycounts. Fuck off.

You're just being purposedly obtuse at this point. They aren't going to make it handled only. They even talk about playing on the TV in this very video.

"We've decided that handheld mode is the way Pokémon was meant to be played, dating back to Pokémon red and blue. We don't want to ruin nostalgia"

There, they have their excuse 🤔

Neoxon

"We've decided that handheld mode is the way Pokémon was meant to be played, dating back to Pokémon red and blue. We don't want to ruin nostalgia"

There, they have their excuse 🤔
And again I say, read the OP. Game Freak mentions their curiosity on if we'll mostly play their mainline Pokémon game docked or undocked. You're worrying over nothing.

Mameshiba

Neo Member
One of the first Pokémon games' defining characteristics was a large world to explore that was created in-scale with the player character model. When compared to traditional JRPGs with their abstracted world maps, this had quite the impact (especially on the Game Boy) and along with its interconnected routes and caves served to make the game's world feel much more "open."

I don't expect the level of openness that BotW has, but Pokémon has always been a game that's about traveling as much as it is battling; it would be nice to see the world-venturing aspect of the game get some much-deserved expansion.

Perfectly said.

AzureFlame

I can agree on the handholding and the bad handling of the cutscenes, but the story is the best they've made so far, it's less linear than Black and White were, and linearity isn't intrinsically a negative thing anyway. The post game isn't any weaker than any first gen pair either. I really enjoyed the trials and found some of them to be more challenging than gym leaders, specifically Lurantis and Mimikkyu. The game overall also was much harder than XY and ORAS. So really I don't see how some people are so fixated in considering their own views as absolute truths, but I guess that happens everywehre.

Gen 6 was weak as well lol, it's where things went super lazy for them, i love the 3d pokemon animations i give them credit for that but that's about it.

To give you an idea about my fav pokemom games they are BW2, GSC and their remakes, and pokemon Emerald, pokemon Platinum was really good as well, all I've experienced with the 3ds titles were a dissapointed compared to them.

All that is just my opnion as a big fan of the series, a fan that want the series to evolve.

aBarreras

Not sure how Monolith-soft would help with that outside of making a goddamn beautiful and well-designed region for a Pokemon game where the overworld is seen from a third person perspective

(which would be fucking sweet beyond words)

yeah, thats my point, monolith can do the world and GF the rest, you know, pokemon designs, and formulas and shit

Aleh

Gen 6 was weak as well lol, it's where things went super lazy for them, i love the 3d pokemon animations i give them credit for that but that's about it.

To give you an idea about my fav pokemom games they are BW2, GSC and their remakes, and pokemon Emerald, pokemon Platinum was really good as well, all I've experienced with the 3ds titles were a dissapointed compared to them.

So you've mostly enjoyed the third versions. Guess what, Ultra SM are the first of that kind to grace the 3DS so maybe those are the games for you :p
If anything, apart from the battle frontier, Emerald was much more lazy than Sun and Moon.

Top Bottom