• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JURASSIC PARK - A Thread 65 Million Years In The Making

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

Some fanmade logos.

fYD0W.jpg
ueUOW.jpg

RtmFD.gif

And my favorite.

R4wbM.jpg

So in reality, who is most likely going to direct JP4? Joe Johnston again?

Im holding out that he won return and someone with a better feel for the universe can come aboard.

bengraven

I know this is terrible, but I would rather have a really good Jurassic Park before anything else. I want an awesome Jurassic Park more than I want the Hobbit.

^ JP is that special film for me, so I agree in wanting more than so many other movies. JP4 is a hole in my heart that must be filled.

They should get Paul Verhoeven!

Uhhh.

Would anyone be opposed to Rupert Wyatt? I thought he did a good job on Rise of the Planet of the Apes and could make a decent JP film.. Given the script writers for that are attached to JP4 he seemed like a candidate.

There was a JP themed episode of Toy Hunters recently on the Travel Channel.. Here are the JP parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YN8uAQvnUjg&noredirect=1

Lucky bastard has the unreleased TLW trike both painted and unpainted:

8TEWK.jpg

He also has the Night Hunters line it seems, that whole line was never released.

I saw Jurassic Park 1 for the first time in ages a short time ago. Man it does not hold up well..

You're crazy.

jpend8ljlf.gif

The movie holds up, especially for a film from 1993. Im not making one of those absurd comments that it looks better than Avatar or anything, but damn the movie looks good.

Well, the Brachiosaurs are a little rough both CG and Animatronics.

DjRoomba

Banned
I meant more in terms of storytelling, but yeah the trex in the rain scene certainly looks less impressive than it once did.

JP may not have the best story in world, but I think it certainly holds up.. There is nothing too absurd, or out of place in it and the characters are pretty strong.

Kathleen Kennedy on JP4 via Comingsoon-

"Writing, writing, writing," she says of the current stage in developing the next sequel to Spielberg's 1993 dinosaur epic. "It's really hard to keep these things going when there's an expectation and a desire by the public and the audience to keep certain franchises going. As filmmakers, we often sit there going, 'Okay. We have to answer the question, 'Why do another one?'' If you can't answer that question, you shouldn't be doing it. It's tough. We're trying to come up with a story that makes sense and isn't going to disappoint people and is, hopefully, going to get people excited and reinvigorate the franchise. We've got to start with a script and the story."

It really sounds like they do not have a story yet. =/

strafer

It looks like they are taking the time to come up with a good story, if they can't just let series rest.

I'm willing to accept that.

123rl

That sounds dreadful.

For some reason I never read the book. The film was so perfect in my mind that I imagined the book was just a written version of the film. Anyway I eventually bought the book and I've read about half of it now. It is so different to the film. Characters not in the film (major characters), scenes in the book completely missing from the film, and a completely different pace. I would have loved to have seen a much more accurate film but it would have required a much darker movie

Snaku

Banned
That sounds dreadful.

For some reason I never read the book. The film was so perfect in my mind that I imagined the book was just a written version of the film. Anyway I eventually bought the book and I've read about half of it now. It is so different to the film. Characters not in the film (major characters), scenes in the book completely missing from the film, and a completely different pace. I would have loved to have seen a much more accurate film but it would have required a much darker movie

An HBO miniseries would do the trick.

SJRB

Gold Member
Concept Art from a abandoned JP4 script by William Monahan and John Sayles.

This is insane, does the script involve JP turning into a horror movie?

You can't do a sequel in a kids-friendly franchise with this, what the hell were they thinking?

Concept Art from a abandoned JP4 script by William Monahan and John Sayles.

xMOgo.jpg

1vUQv.jpg

Oh cool, I had seen his JP4 pieces that were on his website, but I never saw these... source? Im so glad the idea was scrapped, it was definitely not JP, but I would love to see more. Here are his other JP4 pieces from his website:

wsNsA.png

Smc97.png

ZAW8G.png

J0Oij.png

oJgLe.png

3JIMP.png

hzVgr.png

Cool art, it would make a cool sci-fi monster movie, but thank god Jurassic Park did not become this.

So, I did a little looking around and found this:

f6PbQ.png

93Yyl.png

OjGz3.png

I wonder just how close we came to getting this bizarre JP4.. Crazy that it got to the point of ILM making some 3D models.. In 2005!

SJRB

Gold Member
Does anyone know the content of that scrapped script?

With creature design like that I'm curious what they were planning.

ektoll

Looks like a mix between JP and Dr Moreau's Island, it's interesting... Those creatures could be some early experiments, missteps from Dr. henri Wu.

Pretty sure they just gave away that design concept to the designers of The Amazing Spiderman.

If the Lizard looked like that it would have been 1000 times more badass.

Looks like a mix between JP and Dr Moreau's Island, it's interesting... Those creatures could be some early experiments, missteps from Dr. henri Wu.

I believe this art is based off the script where a company was mixing Dino/Human/Dog DNA and training them to carry weapons for military operations.. I believe they explored that direction from 2004-2006 which was when they went in another, likely more JP direction with the story. These designs have no place in a Jurassic Park film, but I would kill to see them come to life in their own IP if the budget was good.

bengraven

I am not a violent person.

I am peaceful and preach understanding. Especially when people are dicks on the internet - I tell people "let it slide man, let it sliiide". "Don't feed the trolls".

But I swear.

to fucking God.

That if they ever gave people a choice between a traditional sci-fi/survival/adventure Jurassic Park and a fucking hybrid with raptor people or cyber raptors and people chose the fucking abomination amalgamation that would be a trashy JP (because "it'd be so hilariously bad lol wouldn't that rock lollololol fuck you") I would fucking flip out on the entire world and I would re-enact Falling Down on a global scale.

Hitler's ghost would be like "scheisse...calm the fawk down ja?".

Stalin would need a vomit bag.

Caligula would join a convent.

The best JP sequel would star Schwarzenegger as a billionaire adventurer whose one-man boat trip around earth is targeted by pirates, leading him off-course and crashed on Jurassic Park.

i-Lo

So, I did a little looking around and found this:

f6PbQ.png

93Yyl.png

OjGz3.png

I wonder just how close we came to getting this bizarre JP4.. Crazy that it got to the point of ILM making some 3D models.. In 2005!

Looks like something you'd put in Doom not JP.

Point is JPIV needs MoaR feathers.

SJRB

Gold Member
Make JP4 but base it off the story of the Lost World book, which was only very loosely adapted into the film.

True, but JP3 also takes huge inspiration from both the original book as The Lost World.

I suppose without Chrichton laying the groundwork it seems pretty difficult to come up with a solid script.

bndadm

Make JP4 but base it off the story of the Lost World book, which was only very loosely adapted into the film.

Yeah, that'd be nice. But more importantly, it needs to include more science or theory in it. JP 1 had that nice scientific foundation with concepts of "life finds a way" and such. Lost World only really had that line about "what you study you also change."

The book, I thought, it's been a while, had a whole thing about extinction levels and some such. I think if the start of the film is because of a simple scientific discovery - to bear witness to a natural extinction event or something, and the qualms of interfering or letting nature take it's course, etc.

As long as it has Grant in his white hat and blue shirt again. Underrated action icon outfit, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom