• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Beat Final Fantasy IX for the First Time! (So y'know, spoilers)

Dice//

Banned
Blank: The second most homoerotic character in the game.

w6Xuk4G.png

The designs for many characters in the game is particularly questionable. Tantalus makes almost no sense, and Amarant and Brahne are Blue for some reason (and the only characters who are blue).

I love this game anyways.
I *adore* the opening play sequence as a "how we got to the party" scenario, I love how Rusty is bouncing up and down corridors (and thinking his Princess is dead during a play), and I love how attacks during said play deal 0 damage and are called SFX instead of "magic" proper.

Forget FF7, THIS game needs the remake (or enhanced ver.[?]).

TnK

Yup, FFIX is definitely amazing. My favorite in the series. It's not perfect, but what it does well makes up for everything else. Vivi = best Final Fantasy character ever! Zidane is probably my favorite FF protag as well. Although personally, I consider Vivi and Zidane to kind of be dual-protagonists (the game is very focused on Vivi's story for the first 75% of the game, then Zidane gradually comes into focus in the last bit).

I still think it has the best ending in the series (although FFX might be tied with it). FFIX's ending gives me so many feels.

Ending spoilers:

It still kind of amuses me that a lot of people have no idea Vivi was dead by the time the ending took place. It's kind of subtle about it with the way the text is done and is made a bit more obvious in the JP version.
Sine the title says spoilers are OK, I thought it was obvious that vivi died. Really sad that he did, but it makes for a powerful ending.

Who were the mini vivis though, his kids?

Also OP, by any chance did you buy a bootleg FF9 on release? Back in the day, if anyone said their discs were busted, it was mostly cause they were bootleg copies, and had to buy a new one.

Blues1990

I think what made this Role-Playing game so unique, was every installment in the series up to IX's reveal had continued to be progressive, either by evolving it's gameplay mechanics, moving it's settings towards more futuristic vistas, and even going to tackle different film & television genres (VII was pure Science Fiction, while VIII's narrative skewed towards Japanese Soap Opera).

IX, however, was more of an adequate reflection of what had come to that point, while also being a striking departure of what the series was heading towards. Everything, from it's more upbeat soundtrack to it's general art design had taken inspiration from the earlier games of the series. Even it's plot had a number of cliches & references to the early games in the series, but I felt that was mostly intentional. (For example, the guardians of the Elemental Shrines are allusions to the Four Fiends from FFI, and the dwarfs shout out Rally-Ho! on occasion.) While I do feel indifferent to the series at this point, I am happy that Bravely Default had done something similar to what FFIX had achieved at the time of it's release.

Taruranto

The designs for many characters in the game is particularly questionable. Tantalus makes almost no sense, and Amarant and Brahne are Blue for some reason (and the only characters who are blue).

I love this game anyways.
I *adore* the opening play sequence as a "how we got to the party" scenario, I love how Rusty is bouncing up and down corridors (and thinking his Princess is dead during a play), and I love how attacks during said play deal 0 damage and are called SFX instead of "magic" proper.

Forget FF7, THIS game needs the remake (or enhanced ver.[?]).

Yeah, the opening if fffreacking great. I'd say all the first part up to Lindblum is truly magical, it's one of the few "slow" openings I don't mind.

I don't think the game needs a remake (from a graphic standpoint the game aged just fine, imo) as it needs more exposure.

topplehat

The entire story of Vivi and the black mages in general is heartbreaking. Makes me sad just thinking about it. Even his adoptee father just wanted to eat him :(

Also, who else only realised years later that Vivi stands for 66?

mindblown.gif

I am just now realizing this because of you, wow

TnK

The entire story of Vivi and the black mages in general is heartbreaking. Makes me sad just thinking about it. Even his adoptee father just wanted to eat him :(

mindblown.gif
I don't get it. What is so special about 66?

EDIT: aaaand it was answered the moment I posted this.

Vecks

I also had a horrible issue of my last 2 discs being scratched with a circle scratch. I don't know how it happened but while it was playable it ruined the experience because all the FMVs were corrupted. But I enjoyed the first 2 discs so much that eventually I caved and bought the last 2 discs separately.

It is also my favorite Final Fantasy and the cast is certainly part of the reason. I've played this game at least 3 times and somehow the story is still a blur to me, but even so, I found the writing enjoyable. My only gripe is that Tetra Master just isn't very good.

All Black Mages are designated a number, as you discover in Black Mage Village.

Vivi's was 66 (VIVI), which - judging by his naïveté - he must have mistaken as his name.

Wait. Does this really make sense? Why would his name be 2 separate 6's?

CCIE

Banned
Love this game... may have to break it out on my laptop again after looking at this thread. People still have a PSX that actually works?!?!

I kept my games, but the system died long ago

Sine the title says spoilers are OK, I thought it was obvious that vivi died. Really sad that he did, but it makes for a powerful ending.

Who were the mini vivis though, his kids?

Also OP, by any chance did you buy a bootleg FF9 on release? Back in the day, if anyone said their discs were busted, it was mostly cause they were bootleg copies, and had to buy a new one.

It was sad he died, but I do agree with you - it is part of the reason why the ending resonated with me so much... very powerful ending, imo. It was a mixture of happiness (Zidane) and sadness (Vivi's fate). Even today, his final words still make me feel really sad... "Everyone... Thank you... Farewell. My memories will be part of the sky..."

One of the most wow inducing moments in gaming for me.

Oh for sure. This was back when CG/FMVs were really awesome and you knew shit was gonna go down when one started to play. This one in particular had me completely mesmerized.

Blank: The second most homoerotic character in the game.

w6Xuk4G.png

It's been a really long time since I played this so Iv'e forgotten most of it (really need to get around to it again), but why does it look like he has body parts stitched together? Is he like some kind of zombie?

All Black Mages are designated a number, as you discover in Black Mage Village.

Vivi's was 66 (VIVI), which - judging by his naïveté - he must have mistaken as his name.

Whelp, even years later FF IX continues to blow my mind.

Definitely my favourite final fantasy as well.

Kind of embarrassing... even though FFIX is my favorite FF and I've replayed it SOOOOOOOOO many times... even somewhat recently. I never pieced it together that "Vivi" = 66. Like.. wow.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I don't see why not, if they're part of a production line. Vivi would be Six Six, and Mr. 288 would be Two Eight Eight.

Also, the Black Waltz lines up with this: Three Four (waltz).

Silvawuff

Congrats on finally finishing, OP! IX is one of my favorite games in the series. The world and characters are unmatched. I'd love to see a remaster/remake of this some day!

Freya is best dragoon.

IX is amazing, I was thinking about it today.

I wish I didn't have so much on my plate as I'd do a replay of it some time.

I through VI plus IX. < OG.

rjinaz

I was mind-blown for a second there, but you're right. Roman numeral 66 would be LXVI. Unless his name was inexplicably 6 6.

True, but it could be as simple as they wanted to make a name out of roman numerals and LXI didn't work but Vi Vi did.

My mind is totally blown.

Final Fantasy IX is an incredible game, I loved just about everything about it. There is a ton of side content, some of which I still haven't completed. What was Garnet's real name again, Sarah? And the Chocobo hot and cold game, while somewhat tedious, was a lot of fun for me especially being able to get some great equipment and abilities early.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Final Fantasy VI is easily my favorite FF game, but man if FFIX isn't easily my second favorite. After two games with lackluster casts, we got this beautiful game with not only wonderfully designed character, but they were engaging characters. If the game has a flaw, it's that there will probably never be an HD remake, and I would love to see this art get the HD treatment.

rjinaz

The molasses slow battle system, with its terrible trance system an improvement?

Though it does offer "classes" again, which is nice.

You can speed up the battle system though right? It's been a while since I played the game but it seems I always turned it to max speed and things went a lot faster.

jaxword

mindblown.gif

You can also mess with the IX roman numerals to make it spell out Vivi

I hate to rain on the parade, but VIVI = 66 isn't actually supported by the writing.

I know it's cool and actually would make a lot of sense, but it's not confirmed anywhere...and also Vivi was a prototype so he didn't have a number.

Also, Roman numerals for 66 would be LXVI.

I personally LIKE the theory, but I'm afraid it's probably wrong. Sorry.

I can't remember much about Vivi.

Didn't he and the Black Mages have
a limited life span or something? I also do not remember how the game ended. I'm not sure if I beat Necron or not but I know that I got to him.

Espada

You can speed up the battle system though right? It's been a while since I played the game but it seems I always turned it to max speed and things went a lot faster.

Even at max battle and text speed, it was incredibly slow. Random battles were far too frequent, each one wasted several seconds with dramatic camera pans, and when the fighting started everything felt sluggish. IX is one of my favorite FFs, but it's easily the slowest battle experience in the entire series.

Mystic_Wanderer mentioned something that almost slipped my mind: The Trance system is garbage. I've read that Ito wanted to avoid how overpowered limit breaks were, but his solution was basically to render IX's equivalent worthless.

KalBalboa

Banned
Funny enough, I just beat FFVIII for the first time (after fourteen years of on and off trying) this past weekend.

Congrats!

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
The atmosphere is great, the music is amazing, the graphics were incredible (especially the animation for limit glove, which is out of this world looking on PS1), and the story was probably the most significant as well. All of that is great... but...

Even at max battle and text speed, it was incredibly slow. Random battles were far too frequent, each one wasted several seconds with dramatic camera pans, and when the fighting started everything felt sluggish. IX is one of my favorite FFs, but it's easily the slowest battle experience in the entire series.

Yeah, this. It's just sooo slow and it kills my enjoyment of the game. The first time through was okay, but it's the only FF I refuse to replay thanks to how long it takes to get anything done.

I'm probably the only person on the planet who enjoys the blank slate characters more than the predefined ones as well. Being forced to use bad equipment was kind of a bummer too.

Triz

My favorite final fantasy by a long shot. Enough so, that I bought a sealed copy and it sits buried in a box somewhere. The only sealed game I own.

JD_Lars

Despite the final boss, ViVi's story line makes this my favorite Final Fantasy game, narrowly edging out 6.

I know there are people out there that like Lightning (I've been told they exist somewhere), but the BEST female character in any Final Fantasy series to me is Freya. She's fantastic as both a story component and because she's an extremely valuable asset for her Dragoon like abilities.

Damn, I love this game.

Despite the final boss, ViVi's story line makes this my favorite Final Fantasy game, narrowly edging out 6.

I know there are people out there that like Lightning (I've been told they exist somewhere), but the BEST female character in any Final Fantasy series to me is Freya. She's fantastic as both a story component and because she's an extremely valuable asset for her Dragoon like abilities.

Damn, I love this game.

Was just about to say this. Lightning feels like a failed reiteration of an archetype they already had down pat with Freya.

Named one of my rats after her. =)

Assuming S-E would permit it, they should faithfully recreate this game in HD for all platforms (Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo, iOS, Android, Steam, etc.).

But the game would need to be a recreation of the original frame-by-frame. No voice-acting, no altered gameplay, nothing - only updated CG and graphics (and achievements I guess). Kickstart that today and I will gladly donate $500 today (also throw in the original game digitally for everyone to experience the source material in all its glory).

Dr. Buni

Yes, she is. She is also one of the best-looking characters in the entire franchise.
S-E is yet to create a female character as awesome as her.

grumble

Just beat it last week. It wasn't a perfect game but it was so much better than 99% or other games of the type. Almost no perviness common in the genre, even the obnoxious child character was relatively okay, and the game as a whole avoided pretty much all the pitfalls of the genre. Such a shame that ffx started down a different path.

Just beat it last week. It wasn't a perfect game but it was so much better than 99% or other games of the type. Almost no perviness common in the genre, even the obnoxious child character was relatively okay, and the game as a whole avoided pretty much all the pitfalls of the genre. Such a shame that ffx started down a different path.

This, like many FFs since VI, is full of "perviness"

Honest to god question:

Why hasn't S-E considered releasing Triple Triad or Tetra Master games for iOS? I'd get behind each of those.

DuncanR2N

Neo Member
Yes, I loved IX. Easily one of the best FF games out there.

It's been a while since I played but that at time I remember thinking how well the wove the story about Vivi and Zidane together and the parallels they presented.

Timeaisis

Damn, I love this game.

Hell yeah. Beatrix is amazing as well. The characters in IX are leaps and bounds better than the rest of the the games, save for maybe VI.

TraBuch

Banned
This topic made me realize I've never actually beaten this game. When I was a kid, I got all the way to the final boss but I had no idea how to survive after he did that attack that brought you to 1 HP and gave you every status effect. It seems pretty obvious now, but I always chose abilities that just made you more powerful when I was younger, never really thought about things like status effect immunity. I should replay this on my Vita.

Top Bottom