• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought Rallisport Challenge 2.......Fawesome!

I've seen you guys praising this game for a while now and I recently had a chance to play a demo of it. The demo was so awesome that I just HAD to get the full version. I'm not a huge racing game fan, but I know good work when I see it and this was above and beyond "good".

So I pop in the full version today and what's the first thing I notice? The soundtrack rules! They have instrumental versions of songs from my favorite bands in there. It was totally unexpected. I thought for sure I'd be using a custom soundtrack, but right away it played two songs from Ill Nino. Then I looked at the list later and its full of cool shit like that. Primer 55 was in there for christ sake. That put a pretty big smile on my face.

Anyway, I gotta say this game is gorgeous. Jaw-dropping even. I stopped in the middle of a hillclimb just to look off into the distance. It was sweet. It was like looking off the side of a mountain at the tiny world below. I can't wait to get back to the autumn forest level from the demo.

But yeah I just wanted to sing some praise for Rallisport Challenge 2. It was well worth the $30 entry fee.

jedimike

I love playing it. I kind of stopped playing after the first GAF tourney, but popped it in last night. I had to force myself to stop playing so I could at least get a few hours of sleep before work.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
chair%20vb%20thumbs%20up.jpg

you may want to give the first rsc a shot as well, as IMO its actually better in a few ways (though not overall mind you). its actually a far more difficult game, with some of the tracks eclipsing the best of rsc2's.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I have such mixed emotions about this game. Graphically it has no peer, and I like the course designs for the rallies and Hill Climbs.

Design decisions are what irk me in this one. The arcade handling is not my preference, so I do not hold that against them, but I do absolutely abhor the track racing (meaning lapped track racing). Rally Cross Schmally Cross, give some good old fashioned freaking rally racing.

BTW going back to the graphics, Gamespot claimed a lot of popup in this game. ??? WTF?

op_ivy

shantyman said:
I have such mixed emotions about this game. Graphically it has no peer, and I like the course designs for the rallies and Hill Climbs.

Design decisions are what irk me in this one. The arcade handling is not my preference, so I do not hold that against them, but I do absolutely abhor the track racing (meaning lapped track racing). Rally Cross Schmally Cross, give some good old fashioned freaking rally racing.

BTW going back to the grpahics, Gamespot claimed a lot of popup in this game. ??? WTF?

early press copies had quite a bit of pop up in certain locations (the US hill climbs especially). there still is a bit of pop up/fade in, but you have to look for it in most cases...

and yeah, i'd prefer all rally/hill climb too, but thats not really what the rallisport challenge franchince is all about. i do have to say that the track designs for the lap courses are FAR better then the ones in rsc1, and the australian crossovers, in particular, are wicked cool.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
op_ivy said:
early press copies had quite a bit of pop up in certain locations (the US hill climbs especially). there still is a bit of pop up/fade in, but you have to look for it in most cases...

and yeah, i'd prefer all rally/hill climb too, but thats not really what the rallisport challenge franchince is all about. i do have to say that the track designs for the lap courses are FAR better then the ones in rsc1, and the australian crossovers, in particular, are wicked cool.

The monte carlo rally levels are big offenders in pop up. so many times "9 right" and i'm trying to see when to slow down... then it fades 10 feet in front of my car. Maybe my dude was just carsick or something o_O

op_ivy

DopeyFish said:
The monte carlo rally levels are big offenders in pop up. so many times "9 right" and i'm trying to see when to slow down... then it fades 10 feet in front of my car. Maybe my dude was just carsick or something o_O

dopey, where are you in gaf season 2 redeux? todays the last day to post a time for round 1. chop chop!

Kudie

The only reason I haven't bought RSC2 yet is because I'm afriad that the game may be too arcadey. I prefer sim racers more than arcade racers; F-Zero GX being an exception. So, how is RSC2 in this respect? For those who have played RSC2 and CMR 04, which has more realistic handling and is better overall?

I personally thought CMR4 is better all around, in the realistic spectrum. RSC2 is just way to arcadey, the first time I put the game in I was doing perfect rally slides around corners and stuff, with little to no problem. Meanwhile when I got CMR4 it took me like a week just to be able to keep my car in good enough condition just content in the race. There was something about the look of RSC2 that didn't float my boat either. I've never been an arcade racer fan though, I just like the sims better.

Kudie

Raise Havok said:
I personally thought CMR4 is better all around, in the realistic spectrum. RSC2 is just way to arcadey, the first time I put the game in I was doing perfect rally slides around corners and stuff, with little to no problem. Meanwhile when I got CMR4 it took me like a week just to be able to keep my car in good enough condition just content in the race. There was something about the look of RSC2 that didn't float my boat either. I've never been an arcade racer fan though, I just like the sims better.

Yeah, that was exactly my fear with RSC2. I like to play a racer in which I must learn how to handle the car, as well as the track itself. From your description, Raise Havok, CMR 04 seems more interesting. Thanks for the input. I think I'll give CMR 04 a try; afterall, it is only $20. :D

Top Bottom