• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 announced. PS3 and X360

JdFoX187

Banned
Haha, people jumping on a guy because he wants the game on the 360. :lol

This could be the first mutliplat I buy on PS3, depending on how well they run. Video recording doesn't mean shit to me, but it seems like more love is being put into it. Either that or they're doing something to make it more marketable because of other shortfalls.

TheFallen

The PS3 exclusive features sound pretty sweet, may consider that version if all goes well. I've got the original on 360, but only put about 20 minutes into it. :lol Is it even worth my time now? Seemed pretty dated, but the parachute mechanic seemed cool. I only paid $3, so... I'm not too concerned.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
JdFoX187 said:
Haha, people jumping on a guy because he wants the game on the 360. :lol

This could be the first mutliplat I buy on PS3, depending on how well they run. Video recording doesn't mean shit to me, but it seems like more love is being put into it. Either that or they're doing something to make it more marketable because of other shortfalls.
They're jumping on him because he's assuming that the PS3 version will be technically inferior without any evidence.

I'm personally more worried about mission variety. The first game was pretty strong, from a technical standpoint.

Rat Salad

Banned
NIGHT- said:
PSN ID is NIGHTMARECR. Christ :lol

I wouldn't have even gone to the trouble. Some of these posters are just too defensive,no need to bother explaining yourself on their behalf. They'll just attack you from some other angle. :lol

TheFallen

Kibbles said:
Any confirmation of this? Did they say it was ps3 exclusive stuff at the event, or was it just a PS3 event? I'll wait for official word. (not that I was planning on buying the game, but it does look interesting, might rent it someday)
Just guessing here, but probably exclusive since the Youtube uploading is part of the PS3 firmware.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What the hell is going on with the claim that one version is the objective better version between the two HD consoles? For certain games this is easy, such as Bayonetta and Ghostbusters, but:

Was Batman the objectively better version on the 360 or the PS3? One has the usual 360 advantage the other has exclusive content.

Dragon Age, 360 or PS3? One has better frame rate the other has better textures.

This? Let's assume it is the average 360/PS3 ratio it will perform a bit better on the 360.
Does it mean the PS3 version is objectively the crappier version? Does it mean the video recording stuff is ignored? Those are extra features.

And that's just straight up comparing the different versions, no argument from me about the controller preference, amount of friends in friends list and whatever one can think of to tilt the playing field.

So one's opinion and preference still has come into play. In my examples it was: Batman: PS3, Dragon Age: 360, Just Cause 2: PS3 (with the ability to switch my order up at any point, just like NIGHT)

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
bandresen said:
What the hell is going on with the claim that one version is the objective better version between the two HD consoles? For certain games this is easy, such as Bayonetta and Ghostbusters, but:

Was Batman the objectively better version on the 360 or the PS3? One has the usual 360 advantage the other has exclusive content.

Dragon Age, 360 or PS3? One has better frame rate the other has better textures.

This? Let's assume it is the average 360/PS3 ratio it will perform a bit better on the 360.
Does it mean the PS3 version is objectively the crappier version? Does it mean the video recording stuff is ignored? Those are extra features.

This shit needs to stop. Batman looked identical on the Xbox360 and PS3. Most multiplatform games look identical these days with very few exceptions (Bayonetta is one since it was outsourced). MW2 looks identical, Brutal Legend, Beatles etc. etc.

People are slow to get this, it was true in the first year and then devs got the grips with the PS3. I have no problem picking up any multiplatform game on the PS3. I only pick up the exceptions on the Xbox360 along with the exclusives. The rest I get on the PS3.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Thunderbear said:
This shit needs to stop. Batman looked identical on the Xbox360 and PS3. Most multiplatform games look identical these days with very few exceptions (Bayonetta is one since it was outsourced). MW2 looks identical, Brutal Legend, Beatles etc. etc.
I agree that they look very similar nowadays when not compared directly to each other. But more often than not the 360 version has the slight advantage.

An example from Modern Warfare that you say is identical, according to LensOfTruth's investigation this is not so: http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=16236

And this is not the only game where 360 is the winner. Other examples are found on DigitalFoundry's website. I was just making the argument that the "objectively" better version is not always as easy to judge as it is in the case of Modern Warfare 2.

Edit: DigitalFoundry link for 360/PS3 comparison

RoadHazard

Gold Member
bandresen said:
I agree that they look very similar nowadays when not compared directly to each other. But more often than not the 360 version has the slight advantage.

An example from Modern Warfare that you say is identical, according to LensOfTruth's investigation this is not so: http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=16236

And this is not the only game where 360 is the winner. Other examples are found on DigitalFoundry's website. I was just making the argument that the "objectively" better version is not always as easy to judge as it is in the case of Modern Warfare 2.

The only real difference there seems to be the bloom effect, and a slight framerate advantage for the 360 version. The washed-out look of the PS3 screenshots disappears completely if you just up the contrast a bit (which is of course very easy to do on your TV), and then they look pretty much identical.

gibonez

Banned
Game replays are a good move , wish more games adopted it.

What is most likely ps3 exclusive is the youtube uploading, game replays will probably make it into the 360 version.

360 versions are generally more technically proficient. Fact. Most are, some aren't. It's entirely fair to be concerned. I want the PS3 version to be up to par, it sucks when both versions are better than each other in some manner. I don't want to have to choose between functionality and performance. It's the worst problem a human being can possibly have. It's all Activision's fault.

In any case, did anyone post this yet? I only read the last couple of paragraphs; mentions words like "explosions", "corkscrew" "pirouette", "breathlessly", "exciting" and "deranged". Sounds like it's shaping up just fine.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
bandresen said:

I am not a huge fan of Eurogamer, but you are right that there seems to be some differences between Xbox360 and PS3. Enough for me to pick the Xbox360 version over the PS3? No, not really.

Thankfully in this case I am running the game on a PC so it outperforms the console versions by far with higher AA.

Point is, unless you are the most anal, geek oriented pixel counter, your gaming experience is going to be negligible whether you are playing a multiplatform game on the PS3 or the Xbox360. Just pick the console that you play the most on.

Zeliard

Eurogamer said:
...given the hilariously unstable tools which are put at his disposal (the standout is Rico's double-ended grappling hook, which can be used, as a single example, to tether unfortunate test subjects to passing jumbo jets)

Sold.

Eurogamer's hands-on of this is spectacular. It's like everything I've wanted in a sandbox game.

Rat Salad

Banned
Actually I think its more like Gaf needs to stop spreading fud about 360 and PS3 3rd party games playing the same,that there is no difference now Because there still is. The Modern Warfare 2 game is one example where some of you are ignoring the facts that once again a 3rd party game is better on the 360.

artist

Banned
Rat Salad said:
Actually I think its more like Gaf needs to stop spreading fud about 360 and PS3 3rd party games playing the same,that there is no difference now Because there still is. The Modern Warfare 2 game is one example where some of you are ignoring the facts that once again a 3rd party game is better on the 360.
Anyone taking bets this guy doesnt own a PS3? :lol

Unicorn

jergrah said:
This game is shaping up to be the game that Mercenaries 2 should have been. Both of the recent trailers have put this game on my radar.

Pre-Order Bonus Trailer Released Today

Choose Your Own Trailer Released a week+ ago

You can check out/follow all of their updates on their official YouTube channel

This makes me curious if Rockstar made a sandbox game that was over the top. There's subtleties in R* games that make them these pinnacle of the genre, but they lack the fun factor that games like this and Prototype can provide.

What if the 2 merged?

Hanmik said:
according to this site, a demo is coming next week.. on Live, PSN and Steam..

http://www.gamereactor.dk/nyheder/76805/Just+Cause+2-demo/

Hells yes!

According to one of the lead programmers that posts at B3D, the minimum requirements have been changed to a 8600GT/2600 and since the CPU requirements were decided upon, optimisation has increased CPU performance by a massive 50% so in reality they'll be much lower than the leaked specs as well.

Oh, and they actually do have a DX9 renderer for the game as they need to use it for the editor on some machines but their engine is now fully tailored around DX10/DX10.1 and that codepath runs twice as fast as the old DX9 version. Definitely sounds like going DX10 exclusive is paying dividends.

jergrah said:
This game is shaping up to be the game that Mercenaries 2 should have been. Both of the recent trailers have put this game on my radar.

Can it be shaping up to be what Red Faction Guerrilla was? I'd put my excited pants on if that were the case.

Top Bottom