• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 PC performance thread

ru55lee

Neo Member
Yeah so I had horrible stuttering issues initially, and I realised it was when I writing to the pagefile on my old mechanical harddrive that the game chugged. Seems like 8 gigs of ram just isn't enough for this game, I've had to move the pagefile to my SSD to smooth things out.

I have 8 gig ram too and notice some stuttering on my 980Ti. Could doing this help me?

Hakkesshu

Game runs fine for me (i5-2500k, 770, 16gb) for like 20 minutes and then starts randomly stuttering every 5 seconds, it's super weird. Taking over a settlement also seems to trigger it? The only way to get it to return to normal is to die and reload. I assume this is the memory leak, but I can't recall ever having seen one that bad.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah so I had horrible stuttering issues initially, and I realised it was when I writing to the pagefile on my old mechanical harddrive that the game chugged. Seems like 8 gigs of ram just isn't enough for this game, I've had to move the pagefile to my SSD to smooth things out.
I would be scared to move my pagefile to my SSD. Won't the pagefile get written to quite often, potentially killing your SSD early?

I don't know what typical pagefile write usage per day is, however.

Gowans

Just downloading to test on my setup

i7-5960X 8-cores, 20MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.0 GHz w/ Turbo Boost
Triple GTX TITAN X with 36GB GDDR5 in SLI
32GB DDR4 2133MHz
Samsung U32D970Q 4K Monitor

For anyone wanting borderless windowed mode, just add these to the Steam launch options for Just Cause 3:

Code:
/windowed /borderless

SliChillax

Yeah hopefully I should know in a few hours. shame
You should have known that a 2 way sli setup is a gamble, you never know how well a game utilises multi gpu setups let alone if they support sli at all. That's why in my opinion using more than one gpu is a waste of money. Triple sli is a total waste for gaming unless you're using them for rendering etc.

Seems to be a bit of a theme that those with at least 16GB RAM are getting the smoother results.

I noticed my page file creeping towards 10GB after a few hours of play today...

With my set up (gtx 970/i5 4590/16GB RAM) I'm getting a reasonably constant lock at 60 fps, with drops during heavy alpha effects with the worse being on the open ocean oddly enough.

Very happy with performance, but it could be better.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at when I asked someone else with 8GB of RAM, that just kills performance, especially if it's on an HDD.

UrbanRats

I mean the engine lacks SLI support and people are reporting stuttering + fps drops even on a beefy rig. It is obviously not the same engine as Mad Max, which ran like a dream on PC.
Mad max doesn't do shit compared to the physics based destruction you get in JC3, not to mention the superior graphics, as well as faster movement in the map (in MM you have only cars, here you have jets that go significantly faster).
Not really a fair comparison.

MaLDo

Triple sli is a total waste for gaming unless you're using them for rendering etc.

Please stop this bullshit. I'm using 3way SLI for years and I'm very happy with it.

Usually, games with SLI problems have a lot of problems not SLI related too. I mean, are a result of incompetence both in programming and resource allocation, not only in multigpu support.

What the fuck is up with this global illumination flickering thing? If I turn around too quickly half of the surfaces look like strobe lights for a second or so. Performance is good enough for me, (minor drops during explosions) but holy fuck that global illumination flickering thing is annoying. I installed the new driver to see if it'd fix it but it sure didn't.

Maddanth

17 4790@ 4.0 GHz @16 GB ram, and 2 970 SLI, although I'm told there's no SLI support for this game. Everything on max and I'm getting a decent play. Definitely not as smooth as it should be , but it sounds like people with 16gb ran are having a smoother time running this game. Also, can anyone tell me does Mad Max have SLI support?

UrbanRats

What the fuck is up with this global illumination flickering thing? If I turn around too quickly half of the surfaces look like strobe lights for a second or so. Performance is good enough for me, (minor drops during explosions) but holy fuck that global illumination flickering thing is annoying. I installed the new driver to see if it'd fix it but it sure didn't.
It's ssao that causes it, not GI.
Or maybe a conflict between the two.

Either way, it went away for me when I tried deactivating ssao.

I'll have to see if that's the case on my end, I might consider disabling SSAO instead.

Anyone else bothered by the shadow movement? Might've just been clouds but it's so, I don't know, choppy? MGSV also had the same issue. They just suddenly move every couple seconds.

EDIT: Nope, still see light flickering with SSAO disabled, should've paused and disabled GI to see if it stopped but I just quit instead. >_> And I do think the shadow pass over is just with clouds or something unlike MGSV where it seemed like everything static that cast a moving shadow as the sun moved.

Yeah hopefully I should know in a few hours. shame

You're looking at sub 40 fps a lot of the time.

I have had drops below 30, though not far below.. like 28.

The second gpu won't be used at all by default and if you force AFR2 through the control panel the performance will get worse.

my rig:

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
16GB ram @ 3000 Mhz
2x Titan X in SLI

Robohasi

Neo Member
Ugh, this game doesn't scale very well...
Playing on i5 4690k + r9 290 (@1080mhz) in 1440p, I can run the usual wingsuiting with ultra settings + FXAA at 50-70fps, but when the explosions happen its 25-40fps. The problem is I tried turning down a whole bunch of settings and it never really did anything to improve the framerate. Anyone got any ideas on how to make it run better?

Also I'm getting a weird bug where it causes my monitor to flicker badly in freesync, but Fallout 4 did it as well so I might just have to RMA my monitor, since I can't seem to find anything about this online.

Kezen

Banned
Ugh, this game doesn't scale very well...
Playing on i5 4690k + r9 290 (@1080mhz) in 1440p, I can run the usual wingsuiting with ultra settings + FXAA at 50-70fps, but when the explosions happen its 25-40fps. The problem is I tried turning down a whole bunch of settings and it never really did anything to improve the framerate. Anyone got any ideas on how to make it run better?

Also I'm getting a weird bug where it causes my monitor to flicker badly in freesync, but Fallout 4 did it as well so I might just have to RMA my monitor, since I can't seem to find anything about this online.

Turn off GI and water from very high to high for a start.
1440p is a tall order for a single 290.

BPoole

I tried playing last night on the lowest possible settings at 720x480 and I would still get drops into the 20s and 30s despite it looking like a PS1 game. So far this takes the cake for my biggest disappointment of the year.

dr_rus

Also, can anyone tell me does Mad Max have SLI support?

Mad Max is a previous gen game though.
Announced at the 2013 Electronic Entertainment Expo, the game was "retooled" during development, and the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions were cancelled due to their hardware and graphical limitations.

dr_rus

It still looks incredible though. The world is beautiful and the draw distance is astonishing, even if there isn't that much to draw.

Well, sure, but this means that it's probably don't use anything above the DX9 feature level in its renderer which makes it quite a bit more AFR friendly by design. Basically you can't say "but... but... but Mad Max support SLI!" because it's quite a bit different in how it draw stuff on the screen and probably have not so much in common with JC3 renderer.

Lowering your rendering resolution will probably not yied the results you are hoping for. Your CPU is really slow and Just Cause 3 is a CPU heavy game.
How does it run with LOD factor and shadows on low ? The FX4300 is below minimum specs.

Pretty much the same. I lucked out and got a decent card - R9 290.

I seem to be getting worse performance in Borderless Windowed mod (using the launch options) than I do fullscreen.

Think this might be related to Borderless G-Sync (I do have it enabled)

Kezen

Banned
Pretty much the same. I lucked out and got a decent card - R9 290.

Your CPU will hold your GPU back considerably. I don't think you can be surprised by your performance considering your setup.
Pairing such a CPU with such a GPU makes very little sense to me, even worse when you factor in AMD drivers which require very fast cores.

I'm sorry but there is little you can do.

Denzar

Borderless Windowed mode forces triple buffer vsync, or force triple buffer in your driver settings and disable in-game vsync.

Forced in driver settings but didn't work. I'll try the Borderless Windowed. Thanks!

Does that mean that I can turn it off in the game's settings, but it'll be on anyway 'cause of the Windowed Borderless mode? Or do I still have to activate it in the settings? (New to Steam launch options)

Dmented

Banned
Damn, had my first crash. Otherwise the game has been running decent for the most part. (Minus explosions of course.)

r9 290
3570k OC'd to 4.0 GHz
8GB Ram
Installed on a 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K

Game does need a patch though with how many people are having issues. Kind of sad.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Also makes me wonder can you use that for other games on steam?

It's not Steam itself making the game run in a borderless window. The launch options window is no different to the target line of a shortcut -- the game has to support the cvars and values you've proposed.

dr_rus

No solutions for the double buffered V-sync yet?

If you're on NV you may try forcing the vsync from NV's CPL. Driver's vsync usually works better than in-games. You may also try checking if changing the prerender limit to 1-2-3 has any effect.

GHG

Gold Member
Getting solid 60fps at 1080p on my rig so not complains in that sense...

But what the fuck is up with random objects/buildings flickering? It's driving me nuts. Does the new nvidia driver fix this? If not I'm shelving this until it's fixed.

Do they not test these games or something?

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Some graphical setting in this game is real weird.

I get odd blurriness around Rico's hair/NPCs when up close and moving. It seems like antialiasing but it's almost stuttery. I tried SMAA_2Tx, SMAA, and FXAA, and off... doesn't seem to be AA. Motion blur was off as soon as I was able to get into the options menu the first time I launched the game.

Any ideas? Other than that I'm running it fine maxed with motion blur off..

dr_rus

Getting solid 60fps at 1080p on my rig so not complains in that sense...

But what the fuck is up with random objects/buildings flickering? It's driving me nuts. Does the new nvidia driver fix this? If not I'm shelving this until it's fixed.

Do they not test these games or something?

Turn off Global Illumination, it's bugged on NV at the moment.

Your CPU will hold your GPU back considerably. I don't think you can be surprised by your performance considering your setup.
Pairing such a CPU with such a GPU makes very little sense to me, even worse when you factor in AMD drivers which require very fast cores.

I'm sorry but there is little you can do.

Time to upgrade then. Thanks!

I have 8 gig ram too and notice some stuttering on my 980Ti. Could doing this help me?

I was planning to move on to either 16gb or 32gb soon anyway personally, but this doesn't even make any sense. From what others are saying the game is only paging 4gb's anyway. I'm not disputing what you said either, I've seen the pattern emerging among users on here. It's the idea of the game requiring more RAM while locking at 4gb that's confusing me. But it seems likely that it may benefit from more RAM. A lot of the users who seem to be having less problems have had 16gb's or more.

Time to upgrade then. Thanks!

There are some really nice CPU's on the market right now too for decent prices. I picked up a 4790k with MSI Z97 Gaming 5 for £350 on Scan not so long ago and a few years back only £50 less would only get me the 2600k with no mobo. I didn't catch what CPU you had but I'm guessing it's very old so will need a new mobo to stick it in, just bear in mind if you jump to this years chips you're probably going to be looking at swapping to DDR4 which is IMO, overpriced.

Gowans

Il getting 35-40 FPS at 4K with everything on max.

56 if I look at the sky. Maybe I need to chuck vsync back on and lock at 30 :(

Denzar

If you're on NV you may try forcing the vsync from NV's CPL. Driver's vsync usually works better than in-games. You may also try checking if changing the prerender limit to 1-2-3 has any effect.

Fixed it by changing the launch options in Steam. Thanks anyway!

That being said. FPS tank visibly during explosions.

Yeah, looks like I'll be playing Fallout 4 for some time to come!

Top Bottom