• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 PC performance thread

bee

bleh game uses denuvo, probably gonna be shit for mods :/

Il getting 35-40 FPS at 4K with everything on max.

56 if I look at the sky. Maybe I need to chuck vsync back on and lock at 30 :(

turn some shit off, i'm running it at 4k on a single titan x with a much worse cpu and getting way more fps, average 50 ish, i turned aa down to smaa and then disabled motion blur, edge thing (vignette) and screen space reflections

I was planning to move on to either 16gb or 32gb soon anyway personally, but this doesn't even make any sense. From what others are saying the game is only paging 4gb's anyway. I'm not disputing what you said either, I've seen the pattern emerging among users on here. It's the idea of the game requiring more RAM while locking at 4gb that's confusing me. But it seems likely that it may benefit from more RAM. A lot of the users who seem to be having less problems have had 16gb's or more.

There are some really nice CPU's on the market right now too for decent prices. I picked up a 4790k with MSI Z97 Gaming 5 for £350 on Scan not so long ago and a few years back only £50 less would only get me the 2600k with no mobo. I didn't catch what CPU you had but I'm guessing it's very old so will need a new mobo to stick it in, just bear in mind if you jump to this years chips you're probably going to be looking at swapping to DDR4 which is IMO, overpriced.

Man, that's a high budget I'm looking at then. I was looking at the FX8320, but I should probably invest more to future proof it.

Edit: For reference, I have a FX4300.

Gowans

bleh game uses denuvo, probably gonna be shit for mods :/

turn some shit off, i'm running it at 4k on a single titan x with a much worse cpu and getting way more fps, average 50 ish, i turned aa down to smaa and then disabled motion blur, edge thing (vignette) and screen space reflections
Yeah I'm Gona start to do that later. It's a shame as it looks so good but the PC can't get its power to it.

Love the explosions.

Cincaid

i5-3570K 3.40Ghz
16 GB DDR3
GTX 970

Really disappointed, as even with some settings turned down my game just can't keep a steady 60fps. I did a helicopter challenge (cause max chaos in 90sec) and things went truly bad for a while. I'm also getting black texture flickering here and there and shadows flickering like crazy. If anyone with a similar setup can give me some tips (I'm no expert) to get things to run smoother, please let me know. :(

Current game settings, that my game is struggling with, please let me know if I should turn down/off a major offender to this:
Code:
Anisotropic: 10x
Anti-aliasing: FXAA
Bokeh Depth of Field: On
Display mode: Full-screen
Edge Fade: On
Global Illumination: On
LOD Factor: Very High
Resolution: 1920x1080
Screen Space Reflections: On
Shadow Quality: Medium
SSAO: On
Texture Quality: Very High
Water Detail: Very High
Water Tessellation: On
Nvidia Multi-Frame Sampled Anti-aliasing: Off

Kezen

Banned
Just Cause 3 launched yesterday. We've received some great review scores and have been enjoying all the incredible videos and amazing comments you've made so far. We're excited that the game is finally in your hands as we love seeing the crazy things new players do in our massive, explosive sandbox. Thank you for your support!

However, we know that some of you are encountering some technical issues – we’re looking into them all and we’re fully committed to providing you the best possible experience.

We know you’re going to want specific information on when a patch will land and what will be fixed – we would love to give you that information, and we will as soon as we have it. But right now, a little over one day since we launched, we have huge numbers of players in our enormous game world and we’re monitoring all the data coming in.

We need a little bit of time to recreate some of these issues and build fixes. Rest assured though – we are fully committed to making Just Cause 3 as awesome as possible. We already know loads of people are having a blast with the game but we’ll do all we can to make sure everyone is laughing and smiling as they play.

If you do encounter any issues, please contact our Customer Support here [support.eu.square-enix.com]

We’d recommend PC players also visit the Steam forums as there are a number of tips there can could improve or fix some of the issues that have been reported (pinned posts).

So thanks for your patience – we’ll come back to you with more information as soon as we have it.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/225540/announcements/detail/101692171981969216

Chris R

Hope a patch isn't too far out. Going to try windowed mode tonight, if that doesn't work I'm just going to shelve playing it until 2016. I was going to do a refund but when the game is fixed it will be full price so I'd be losing money to rebuy it :(

UrbanRats

i5-3570K 3.40Ghz
16 GB DDR3
GTX 970

Really disappointed, as even with some settings turned down my game just can't keep a steady 60fps. I did a helicopter challenge (cause max chaos in 90sec) and things went truly bad for a while. I'm also getting black texture flickering here and there and shadows flickering like crazy. If anyone with a similar setup can give me some tips (I'm no expert) to get things to run smoother, please let me know. :(

Current game settings, that my game is struggling with, please let me know if I should turn down/off a major offender to this:
Code:
I have a similar set up (but with a worse cpu and half the ram).
I don't have amazing performance tbh, and when the chaos gets crazy things chug, though i think the cpu is the bottleneck.

Anyway, i keep the same settings but i have LOD on high (visual change is minimal) and textures on high (also not a big change).
Also, i use SMAA instead of FXAA, though i doubt that'll change much.

Then i have AF at 16 and Edge filter off, also not things that impact performance that much, AFAIK.

GI, SSAO and Water Quality are the biggest offender, as far as i'm aware.
Probably bumping water down to high would be a good thing, i have to try it myself, but check in the nvidia guide if the difference is good enough for you.

Beyond that, i think it's just down to waiting for a patch.

Kezen

Banned
i5-3570K 3.40Ghz
16 GB DDR3
GTX 970

Code:

Disabling the broken Bokeh DOF and water tessellation could improve your performance but not by much.
Do you have the latest Nvidia driver optimized for the game ?
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/just-cause-3-and-tom-clancys-rainbow-six-siege-game-ready-driver

Kezen

Banned
Just Cause 2 ran incredibly well on even a decent PC. What the hell happened?

Just Cause 2 was very problematic for many users back in the day because of its very detailed visuals.

I don't think the case we have here is very different.

Impressive looking games have steep hardware requirements, nothing new.

Only thing I'm bitter about is the flickering when GI is enabled.

x3sphere

Anyone rocking an Intel hexa-core have feedback on performance?

On my 980 ti / i7 5930k it runs at a constant 60 at 1080p. Never seen it dip

3440x1440 I had to disable GI and put shadows on high to maintain 60, still dips during big explosions.

I didn't see CPU usage go past 50% in either case, game just seems really taxing on GPU only

mboojigga

On my 980 ti / i7 5930k it runs at a constant 60 at 1080p. Never seen it dip

3440x1440 I had to disable GI and put shadows on high to maintain 60, still dips during big explosions.

I didn't see CPU usage go past 50% in either case, game just seems really taxing on GPU only

Same here 980 Ti 5930k 16gigs no dip at 1080p/60 or 4k/30. I am still on the driver from 19 November.

Rolfgang

I'm playing on 1440p, max settings (only having AA on SMAA x2) on a 980 Ti/4690k. I'm running a steady 60+ FPS, with only a single dip to 50 when I blew up half a base in a couple of seconds. Very happy with the performance so far!

Blizzard

Banned
Just Cause 2 was very problematic for many users back in the day because of its very detailed visuals.
Are you certain of this? I may have completely forgotten, but I specifically remember Just Cause 2 being a really nice PC port. No non-Steam DRM, really smooth performance, good graphics, even possibly on my older PC.

Cincaid

I have a similar set up (but with a worse cpu and half the ram).
I don't have amazing performance tbh, and when the chaos gets crazy things chug, though i think the cpu is the bottleneck.

Anyway, i keep the same settings but i have LOD on high (visual change is minimal) and textures on high (also not a big change).
Also, i use SMAA instead of FXAA, though i doubt that'll change much.

Then i have AF at 16 and Edge filter off, also not things that impact performance that much, AFAIK.

GI, SSAO and Water Quality are the biggest offender, as far as i'm aware.
Probably bumping water down to high would be a good thing, i have to try it myself, but check in the nvidia guide if the difference is good enough for you.

Beyond that, i think it's just down to waiting for a patch.

Disabling the broken Bokeh DOF and water tessellation could improve your performance but not by much.
Do you have the latest Nvidia driver optimized for the game ?
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/just-cause-3-and-tom-clancys-rainbow-six-siege-game-ready-driver

Thank you both, I'll give your advice a test and see if it improves. :)

And yep, running the latest drivers (359.06). Sounds like Avalanche are working on some form of patch, might just put the game down until it's released and see if there's any major breakthrough.

Kezen

Banned
Are you certain of this? I may have completely forgotten, but I specifically remember Just Cause 2 being a really nice PC port. No non-Steam DRM, really smooth performance, good graphics, even possibly on my older PC.

I remember it very clearly, the GTX 400 series was just around the corner or released around that time and everyone was freaking out because they could not run the game at its highest settings. The CUDA water was very expensive and so was the bokeh DOF.

"Unoptimized", "broken" etc...

I don't remember it being as visually buggy as JC3 however.

I remember the game running on my 470 and it was not a 1080p/60fps experience.

Rolfgang

What I remember is that it was buggy at first, but after a good patch it was all fixed and it became a great PC port.

Glad I didn't pay much for it, missing textures everywhere, seems like a common problem so will just delay playing the game until they can actually release it in a working state.

Man, that's a high budget I'm looking at then. I was looking at the FX8320, but I should probably invest more to future proof it.

Edit: For reference, I have a FX4300.

I can't say much about AMD as I've never had any AMD parts in any of my PC's over the years. The clock speeds of the 8320 seems nice but I've heard before that you get less from those speeds than you would on an Intel chip. Regardless, it's all about how much you wanna spend and how often you want to swap parts. I used to be on a 4 year cycle of ultra high end parts but it's looking like I'd be better off on a 2 year cycle of mid-high both financially and performance wise.

Best of luck with whatever you choose though, I'm sure you'll get a nice performance jump either way coming from an older system. I recently updated from a 4 year old system on to cheaper parts than usual and got at least a 200% boost in most games.

Ragona

Kinda stopped following latest hardware threads so sorry if this is abit offtopic but are the days of the 2500k coming to an end?

Blizzard

Banned
I remember it very clearly, the GTX 400 series was just around the corner or released around that time and everyone was freaking out because they could not run the game at its highest settings. The CUDA water was very expensive and so was the bokeh DOF.

"Unoptimized", "broken" etc...

I don't remember it being as visually buggy as JC3 however.

I remember the game running on my 470 and it was not a 1080p/60fps experience.
I was curious so I went back to the official thread on PC. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390687

I found a couple of people suggest the money/military was "broken" (unbalanced) but that's different of course. I also saw one post when video capture popped up that apparently messed up game controls.

Other than that, I found no posts using the term "unoptimized" or "broken" in 3700+ official thread posts. Where were you seeing these?

I went further (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455539) and found nothing. Looking at the demo thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389235), I did indeed see a post that suggested vsync and AA were broken. I also saw a post saying the demo was like a "kinda janky, kinda broken Crackdown" and another post saying "the driving is borderline broken". There were also posts about the demo's button configuration being broken on PS3, but I'm assuming that was PS3-only and demo-only. There were zero usages of "unoptimized" in the demo thread.

So over 3700+ OT posts and 1500+ demo thread posts, maybe 6 posts using the term "broken" about some aspect of the PC version seems pretty decent to me.

Over those 5200+ posts, ZERO uses of the term "unoptimized" seems quite decent to me.

In fact, I ran across a brain_stew post from 2010 (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20453907&highlight=470#post20453907).

brain_stew said:
The PC version of Just Cause 2 is really well optimised and will actually run really well on hardware as modest as a 2ghz Core 2 Duo + 8600GT + 2GB RAM while still boasting some really nice graphics but it does have a number of advanced settings which can bog down performance on lower end systems.

i5-3570K 3.40Ghz
16 GB DDR3
GTX 970

Code:

Turn off Bokeh, Edge Fade and Motion Blur (all pretty pointless) and turn shadows and LOD down to High. Use SMAA, noticeably better coverage than FXAA.

Also, do NOT use the in game AF - it is very broken. Enable it in the Nvidia CP for MUCH better results:

http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...interactive-comparison-001-on-vs-off-rev.html

Kezen

Banned
I was curious so I went back to the official thread on PC. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390687

I found a couple of people suggest the money/military was "broken" (unbalanced) but that's different of course. I also saw one post when video capture popped up that apparently messed up game controls.

Other than that, I found no posts using the term "unoptimized" or "broken" in 3700+ official thread posts. Where were you seeing these?

I went further (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455539) and found nothing. Looking at the demo thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389235), I did indeed see a post that suggested vsync and AA were broken. I also saw a post saying the demo was like a "kinda janky, kinda broken Crackdown" and another post saying "the driving is borderline broken". There were also posts about the demo's button configuration being broken on PS3, but I'm assuming that was PS3-only and demo-only. There were zero usages of "unoptimized" in the demo thread.

So over 3700+ OT posts and 1500+ demo thread posts, maybe 6 posts using the term "broken" about some aspect of the PC version seems pretty decent to me.

Over those 5200+ posts, ZERO uses of the term "unoptimized" seems quite decent to me.

In fact, I ran across a brain_stew post from 2010 (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20453907&highlight=470#post20453907).

I was not referring to places like gaf but guru3d, overclock.net, hardocp etc...Too many people overestimating their hardware as usual.
I don't think JC3's performance is perfect but I would not claim the game is unoptimized, from the various benchmarks I've seen (computerbase, gamegpu.ru, pclab etc). the game runs very well for how superb it looks. Of course there are cases where the framerate is not stable just like any other AAA game.
It certainly is buggy though and this needs to be properly addressed.

Blizzard

Banned
I was not referring to places like gaf but guru3d, overclock.net, hardocp etc...Too many people overestimating their hardware as usual.
I don't think JC3's performance is perfect but I would not claim the game is unoptimized, from the various benchmarks I've seen (computerbase, gamegpu.ru, pclab etc). the game runs very well for how superb it looks. Of course there are cases where the framerate is not stable just like any other AAA game.
It certainly is buggy though and this needs to be properly addressed.
Ah okay. I don't know of a Just Cause 2 PC performance thread, and the new Just Cause 3 OT does not have the term "unoptimized" either, so it maybe wasn't a good overall metric to use. I just wondered since you quoted those two specific terms, so I went searching. I feel like Just Cause 2 was more a situation of "maxed out it can run poorly", and Just Cause 3 is more a situation of "with settings turned way down people still get stutters, freezes, or odd frame drops" judging by some posts.

*edit* It feels weird to use "cases where the framerate is not stable just like any other AAA game." as an acceptable thing but I guess that's life. :p

Kezen

Banned
Ah okay. I don't know of a Just Cause 2 PC performance thread, and the new Just Cause 3 OT does not have the term "unoptimized" either, so it maybe wasn't a good overall metric to use. I just wondered since you quoted those two specific terms, so I went searching. I feel like Just Cause 2 was more a situation of "maxed out it can run poorly", and Just Cause 3 is more a situation of "with settings turned way down people still get stutters, freezes, or odd frame drops" judging by some posts.

It's totally possible I'm 100% wrong about Just Cause 3's performance, but toning down settings and still running into performance issues would not make me say the game is completely busted, depends on the specs.

What is unacceptable in my opinion is the fact that the game tries to connect all the time and it causes stutter.

I've yet to give the game a go (almost finished installing) but I'm not expecting miracles, solid performance with almost every settings maxed but I know it's going to crash a few times along with that annoying flickering.

*edit* It feels weird to use "cases where the framerate is not stable just like any other AAA game." as an acceptable thing but I guess that's life. :p
Well it is common for a reason, I could not even recall one game where the framerate never dropped, ever. With so many things going on it is in my opinion acceptable that at some point 60fps can't be sustained.

I seem to be getting worse performance in Borderless Windowed mod (using the launch options) than I do fullscreen.

Think this might be related to Borderless G-Sync (I do have it enabled)

That's how I'm running it (borderless window + G-sync) and I couldn't see any major differences in performance when I tried fullscreen mode. As a general rule you should expect to lose 1-4 fps if you decide to play in a window but I think the problem-free alt+tabbing and free triple buffered v-sync (for those not using G-sync) makes up for the minor performance hit.

Also, my friend who has an AMD GPU was experiencing frequent crashes and having the game minimise randomly. Switching to borderless windowed mode seems to have fixed those issues on his end.

Kezen

Banned
Just started the game.
Couple of observations :

-The loading times are very long, 1.35 minutes even installed on one of my SSDs.
-The game's AA options are bad, all of them.
-No af whatsoever, the in-game AF does absolutely nothing.
-The in-game bokeh dof is broken, does not matter if it's on or off, there is no perceptible difference.
-Performance is very solid with high shadows and high LOD, everything elsed maxed.
980/4770k stock, 16gb of ram and the 359.06 drivers.

Just started the game.
Couple of observations :

-The loading times are very long, 1.35 minutes even installed on one of my SSDs.
-The in-game bokeh dof is broken, does not matter if it's on or off, there is no perceptible difference.
-Performance is very solid with high shadows and high LOD, everything elsed maxed.

Definitely some issues here, I was changing all the options in game, and they did nothing to improve or change the picture quality or frame rate whatsoever, I was thinking it may need to be rebooted or something. Not sure if I should just wait for a patch now.

Kezen

Banned
Do NOT use the in game AF - it is very broken. Enable it in the Nvidia CP for MUCH better results:

http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...interactive-comparison-001-on-vs-off-rev.html

Definitely some issues here, I was changing all the options in game, and they did nothing to improve or change the picture quality or frame rate whatsoever, I was thinking it may need to be rebooted or something. Not sure if I should just wait for a patch now.

It's very subtle but it is there.
Really ? The Nvidia guide could not tell the difference, I have it enabled anyway.

Yeah I have no idea how you can screw up something so primitive as anisotropic filtering. Nvidia drivers to the rescue.

Oh, and the flickering is atrocious. I will just leave the game on the side until this has been addressed. Gorgeous visuals and after completing my first mission and blowing up the chaos items my framerate sticked very close to my desired target, dropped to like 58fps for a fraction of a second.
Pleased with the performance, everything maxed save for shadows (high).

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Just started the game.
Couple of observations :

Yep, doing well here. The only thing I've changed is GI to off and shadows to high.
980/4670k w/16gb ram and latest drivers.

Kezen

Banned
Yep, doing well here. The only thing I've changed is GI to off and shadows to high.
980/4670k w/16gb ram and latest drivers.

The state it was released in is still disappointing. I've yet to play more but I fully expect my game to crash at some point like many other people are reporting.

I've tried quitting and restarting to see if the initial loading time (once to get to the menu and launch the game) is still as long as sadly it is. No disk activity, strange.

This makes me feel nostalgic for a time when games did not ship with so many issues.

Samaritan

Just started the game.
Couple of observations :

Something is wrong here. I've been running the game off my SSD on roughly equivalent hardware and the longest load time I've encountered was well under 30 seconds.

Couldn't be more right about the AA though. This game's AA is ass. What is it with high profile games lately having really poor AA implementation?!

epmode

I'm on a regular HDD* and the only abnormally long load time is the initial load. Once I'm in game, the most I'll notice is about 10 seconds to restart a mission/minigame.

*My poor SSD is too small for monsters like this. 1TB SSD sale pls.

Something is wrong here. I've been running the game off my SSD on roughly equivalent hardware and the longest load time I've encountered was well under 30 seconds.

Couldn't be more right about the AA though. This game's AA is ass. What is it with high profile games lately having really poor AA implementation?!

I've got the game installed on my HDD and only the initial load is lengthy (25-30 seconds) with all the in-game loads only taking about 8-10 seconds.

NotLiquid

First reply and it never happened?

I'm not sure who took this and where it's from but I remember seeing it in some /v/ thread. The only seemingly max-quality screenshot I've seen, assuming it ain't a bullshot.

144900348887544a8k.png

It's weird. Sometimes it runs perfectly fine. Sometimes I get occasional stutter when it loads in something or other. Sometimes it happens for no discernible reason. And that one time it turned a whole mission into unplayable trash. It seems to get more pronounced the longer I play.

Top Bottom