• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 PC performance thread

SliChillax

Please stop this bullshit. I'm using 3way SLI for years and I'm very happy with it.

Usually, games with SLI problems have a lot of problems not SLI related too. I mean, are a result of incompetence both in programming and resource allocation, not only in multigpu support.
Well I know that but this incompetence is found almost everywhere nowadays so spending so much money on a triple sli setup seems like a waste of money. I'd rather invest the money on the most powerful single gpu card and cpu instead of being disappointed with every game coming out that doesn't support sli. Also from my experience micro stuttering is awful. I've had a dual sli setup and I'm never bothering ever again with it unless DX12 makes drastic changes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They bolded this:

And replied with this:

Kezen clarified that by "problematic" he meant "not meeting performance expectations", and I'd posit that "runs just fine" isn't a phrase people use when referring to mere stability (well, when it lacks a qualifier of some sort, at least). Fear not; I can and do read the posts I respond to. ;)

ISee

1. Not working vsync is a pretty common thing in PC gaming. Forcing it in the driver is pretty common as well as this usually works better than the in-game option. This is less than minor.

2. What graphical options? AF? Same as with vsync forcing AF from the driver on PC is actually recommended as this usually gives you a bit better quality since games themselves tend to enable AF only on textures specified by the developers instead of enabling it on all of them. A minor issue.

3. Sound issues? You mean the looping sound while applying any changes to the settings? This is not an issue but a design decision. Valve had this in Source for years for example. Can be fixed but it's hardly a game breaking bug especially considering that you're unlikely to even run into it once you'll finish adjusting the settings.

So what else? GI flickering? Turn off GI and wait for patch/drivers which will fix this. Some say that the game even looks better with GI off. RTSS not working? Copy a GW profile for JC3. Long startup? Well, the game weighs freaking 40GBs and it's an open world game so it loads A LOT during the startup. Welcome to modern gaming. What else? SLI not working? This will happen more and more often as modern graphics engines tend to be incompatible with AFR mGPU and supporting them requires a lot of effort from the developers - specifically for these 3-5% of PC users among the 30% (generous assumption) of all gamers. Most won't bother if by omitting SLI support they can get the game to run better on consoles and other single GPU setups - which covers ~99% of the userbase.

Oh please.

- I do not give a shit if my RTSS isn't working natively. It's a third party program, I do not think devs are in any kind of obligation to look out for stuff like that. And did I complain about it in the first place? No, I didn't. Why did you bring it up?

- 40gb of install size is an excuse for long loading times? Because it loads 'a lot'? Nice and very logical measurement method. We both have no clue how much and what it loads and how the streaming engine works. So please stop making up excuses and pulling random explanations out from the black 4th dimension. Initial loading times are longer than in other open world games.

-Graphical options like not working Vsync, borderless window mode (not even there, this is a joke in 2015!) and bad, very annoying flickering when enabling GI. Yes those are issues and no Vsync at all is just bad and not a common thing in PC gaming at all, just another of your strange explanations out of nowhere nice. And of course you can avoid the GI bug by disabling it. Guess what I can avoid all bugs by just not buying games anymore. Fantastic solution. And some people think that it looks better disabled? So what? Some people think that an upscaled 720p produces the same IQ as 1080p, other see no difference between 30 and 60fps. 'Some people think that' is one of your strange arguments to downplay certain issues.

-No idea what kind of sound bug you mean. I am talking about extremely loud, static noises that were very bad for me (especially with headphones). I was only able to fix them by reading different threads and trying the solutions people posted. But I already explained this problem before, you just choose to ignore it.

-I do not care about SLI. Did I complain about it? No, so why did you bring it up? Maybe because it fits your 'it's not an issue' opinion.

And please stop you arrogant 'welcome to modern' gaming stuff. I am in PC gaming since the 468 dx 33 times. You do not have to tell me anything about PC gaming issues, bugs or problems I encountered enough and I also encountered enough not bugy games. And this one isn't in a good shape at all. But yeah there are even worse ones... So let's praise the devs, because we are able to fix some of the problems by consulting game forums, disabling options and waiting for patches...

c0Zm1c

I remember Just Cause 2 playing very well on my Q9650/GTX295 at the time. I don't remember at what settings but I doubt it would have been maxed; a large performance hit at highest settings is always to be expected.

dr_rus

Oh please.

- I do not give a shit if my RTSS isn't working natively. It's a third party program, I do not think devs are in any kind of obligation to look out for stuff like that. And did I complain about it in the first place? No, I didn't. Why did you bring it up?

- 40gb of install size is an excuse for long loading times? Because it loads 'a lot'? Nice and very logical measurement method. We both have no clue how much and what it loads and how the streaming engine works. So please stop making up excuses and pulling random explanations out from the black 4th dimension. Initial loading times are longer than in other open world games.

-Graphical options like not working Vsync, borderless window mode (not even there, this is a joke in 2015!) and bad, very annoying flickering when enabling GI. Yes those are issues and no Vsync at all is just bad and not a common thing in PC gaming at all, just another of your strange explanations out of nowhere nice. And of course you can avoid the GI bug by disabling it. Guess what I can avoid all bugs by just not buying games anymore. Fantastic solution. And some people think that it looks better disabled? So what? Some people think that an upscaled 720p produces the same IQ as 1080p, other see no difference between 30 and 60fps. 'Some people think that' is one of your strange arguments to downplay certain issues.

-No idea what kind of sound bug you mean. I am talking about extremely loud, static noises that were very bad for me (especially with headphones). I was only able to fix them by reading different threads and trying the solutions people posted. But I already explained this problem before, you just choose to ignore it.

-I do not care about SLI. Did I complain about it? No, so why did you bring it up? Maybe because it fits your 'it's not an issue' opinion.

And please stop you arrogant 'welcome to modern' gaming stuff. I am in PC gaming since the 468 dx 33 times. You do not have to tell me anything about PC gaming issues, bugs or problems I encountered enough and I also encountered enough not bugy games. And this one isn't in a good shape at all. But yeah there are even worse ones... So let's praise the devs, because we are able to fix some of the problems by consulting game forums, disabling options and waiting for patches...

Oh I'm sorry I thought I was talking to a person and not a drama queen who don't read.

Iced

Glad I got this at a significant discount over at cdkeys. I think I'll wait for the new year to fire it up, because by the look of this thread, it's currently a bit of a shit show.

Akronis

Well I know that but this incompetence is found almost everywhere nowadays so spending so much money on a triple sli setup seems like a waste of money. I'd rather invest the money on the most powerful single gpu card and cpu instead of being disappointed with every game coming out that doesn't support sli. Also from my experience micro stuttering is awful. I've had a dual sli setup and I'm never bothering ever again with it unless DX12 makes drastic changes.

Triple SLI typically doesn't have micro-stuttering.

Some people want locked 120fps or 144fps on their games. SLI is pretty much the only way that's happening.

How about you not criticize people for how they spend their money? NVIDIA and AMD send engineers to dev studios SPECIFICALLY to help with these kinds of implementations. This isn't some B-tier indie game, it's a big-name AAA title that will probably make a lot of money. It's embarrassing to not have SLI support.

slash3584

Glad I got this at a significant discount over at cdkeys. I think I'll wait for the new year to fire it up, because by the look of this thread, it's currently a bit of a shit show.

Same.

I can run it semi-decently now, but i'm pretty sure that i'll enjoy it more later when they fix (i hope) some of the more annoying stuff.

Kezen

Banned
GameGPU revisited JC2.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Retro-Just_Cause_2-test-JustCause2_1920.jpg

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Retro-Just_Cause_2-test-JustCause2_1920_u.jpg

Whoah. This game is still impressively taxing at 1080p.

It released in 2010 for God's sake, the CUDA water looks very good even by today's standards.

Akronis

Probably dat MSAA

I can personally confirm from my own experience, that when I used it still, I got less micro-stutter under tri-sli than I got under SLI.

Hopefully SFR solves microstutter for dual and quad configurations. It's much less noticeable past 60 fps with a G-SYNC monitor too.

beeswax

It really isn't, as is often the case I think this has been blown a little out of proportion by a vocal minority. I also picked it up from cdkeys and I'm having a great time with it, even with the graphical glitches and odd annoyances.

The only things that bother me are the constant leaderboard popups when starting a new session (just block Just Cause 3 executable on your firewall to solve this) and the flickering produced by Global Illiumination which isn't bad enough to warrant not playing.

Regarding performance, I think this runs way better than most recent games at launch. I'm running it at 1080p with everything maxed apart from AA (top option causes some weirdness) and don't have any complaints. Whether V-sync, AF and frame pacing issues exist without 3rd party tools, I don't know because for some time now, I've let RTSS just globally enforce a 60fps lock and have 16x AF and V-Sync globally enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel. I spend far less time pissing about getting new releases to work since I started doing this.

Xyber

Whoah. This game is still impressively taxing at 1080p.

It released in 2010 for God's sake, the CUDA water looks very good even by today's standards.

Would help if they listed all settings they used, because the MSAA goes up to at least 8 in that game and that's not cheap. You can also use 32xCSAA on Nvidia cards which I believe is 8xMSAA with extra coverage samples.

Kezen

Banned
Probably dat MSAA

I can personally confirm from my own experience, that when I used it still, I got less micro-stutter under tri-sli than I got under SLI.

Would help if they listed all settings they used, because the MSAA goes up to at least 8 in that game and that's not cheap. You can also use 32xCSAA on Nvidia cards which I believe is 8xMSAA with extra coverage samples.

You two must be correct, they must have something like 8xMSAA engaged because really this is shocking.

PaulLFC

This game appears to continue the Avalanche tradition of not handling audio devices properly.

It started with Renegade Ops (at least that was when I first encountered it), whereby if you plugged in headphones while the game was running (so sound output auto-switched to headphone audio), the game would freeze completely. I notified them of this ages ago, didn't get a response and last time I played it a few months later nothing had changed - not sure if they ever did update it.

JC3 at least appears to avoid that, but when plugging in headphones, it continues playing its audio through speakers (despite every other program switching automatically), and the only way to fix this is to restart the game and sit through that logo screen.

abracadaver

I played Just Cause 2 on a 7850 in 1080p with everything on max besides AA and it never ever dropped below 60fps. I was using FXAA or only 2x MSAA, not sure about that

The benchmark above makes it look a lot more demanding than it really is.

This game appears to continue the Avalanche tradition of not handling audio devices properly.

It started with Renegade Ops (at least that was when I first encountered it), whereby if you plugged in headphones while the game was running (so sound output auto-switched to headphone audio), the game would freeze completely. I notified them of this ages ago, didn't get a response and last time I played it a few months later nothing had changed - not sure if they ever did update it.

JC3 at least appears to avoid that, but when plugging in headphones, it continues playing its audio through speakers (despite every other program switching automatically), and the only way to fix this is to restart the game and sit through that logo screen.

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but you could just plug in the headphones before you start the game.

My apologies, i haven't been on this thread for awhile. Any word from the devs on upcoming patches or drivers?

Just the typical PR "we'll get some updates out soon" response.

PaulLFC

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but you could just plug in the headphones before you start the game.
Of course I could, that isn't the point...

When every other game and program seems to handle the transition from speakers to headphones correctly, it's not unfair to point out that this game doesn't.

James93

So what i'm reading since i have crossfire 7970's i should avoid this game until they patch?

It so tempting though based off how cheap these cd keys have got

Akronis

So what i'm reading since i have crossfire 7970's i should avoid this game until they patch?

You might be able to get OK performance if you turn down a lot of settings, but I would wait and hope it gets added.

Fallout 4 seems to have gotten mGPU support recently so it's not impossible.

James93

You might be able to get OK performance if you turn down a lot of settings, but I would wait and hope it gets added.

Fallout 4 seems to have gotten mGPU support recently so it's not impossible.

Thats what i thought. It really not worth the hassle. Guess i'll go finish the witcher 3

Qwell

So I updated to the beta Crimson drivers (I was still on the Catalyst set) and again tweaked some settings (actually turned some stuff back on and that seems to have fixed all my problems.

7950 Boost
16GB Ram

I'm actually pretty happy with the performance at this point, I had 1 lock-up, just game not PC but I think it was a random one. Outside of that I played a good 3 hours or so yesterday, cleared a bunch of bases and got some really good unlocks like the Jet and Tank and one of the best rocket launchers. I'm getting mostly 60+ fps at 1080p and while I have some stuff turned off the game still looks very nice. And I have to say it really is a blast to play, I'm sure when I build my new computer in a few months and they get some patches it will be even better.

ISee

Oh I'm sorry I thought I was talking to a person and not a drama queen who don't read.

Yes, very classy. When in doubt insult or downplay someone, especially after not even reading my original post. You are a true forum warrior.

dr_rus

Yes, very classy. When in doubt insult or downplay someone, especially after not even reading my original post. You are a true forum warrior.

In doubt? I've already answered everything you're saying, you're just so consumed with unfounded rage towards the game that you can't even read what I've said and just dismiss it saying that "you don't give a shit". Why would I give a shit about anything you say after that?

mintylurb

Playing at 1080P with everything on/very high, except for shadow which is at high and smaa, it's holding at 60 fps.
Changing the shadow setting to very high causes the framerate to drop to 58 fps.

i7-4790K
32 GB DDR3
GTX 980TI
Win 7

ISee

In doubt? I've already answered everything you're saying, you're just so consumed with unfounded rage towards the game that you can't even read what I've said and just dismiss it saying that "you don't give a shit". Why would I give a shit about anything you say after that?

You answered something? You just pulled out some issues, which I never complained about in the first place and told me how much you do not care about them or how easy it is to fix them, like SLI, RTSS or another sound bug.But sure I am the one not reading your posts... whatever.
Then in your second part you just made up some really strange stuff like: Flickering CI isn't an issue because some people even think that the game looks better when it's turned off. And then you recommended to ignore issues because they'll be fixed in a couple of patches. And you call that answering something? I call that blind fanboyism. So have a nice day.

So ... I've been watching and wondering and waiting and I gotta know ...

Should I bite? This was the last game I was looking forward to for the year, but it sounds like it's not quite where it should be ATM.

i5-3570K/GTX 970/8GB here

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. No DirectInput support whatsoever. If you want to use a DS4, you'll have to employ the help of an Xinput wrapper.

Thanks for confirming that earlier, just realised this for myself. I'm on Windows 10 so I guess it's back to the 360 controller for now.

Lagamorph

For some reason sound effects seem to be out of sync with the video for me.
Voices are fine, it's only the sound effects. They seem to be about 1-3 seconds later than the corresponding on-screen event.

And the load times are utterly horrific, but I don't have the room for it on my SSD.

So ... I've been watching and wondering and waiting and I gotta know ...

Should I bite? This was the last game I was looking forward to for the year, but it sounds like it's not quite where it should be ATM.

i5-3570K/GTX 970/8GB here

Yes.

The game will run fine 90% of the time with your settings (turn shadows down to high, same with LOD). I'd recommend upodating your RAM to 16GB to smooth things out a bit more however.

A lot of the comments here are blown out of proportion, this is no Arkham Knight.

Chris R

A lot of the comments here are blown out of proportion, this is no Arkham Knight.

I can't play the game for more than 10 minutes because it will crash to the desktop or hang with a black screen. Others have had zero issues.

Not blowing anything out of proportion, it's almost a luck of the draw thing. I just want this shit fixed so I can play the game :(

AHK_Hero

Playing at 1080P with everything on/very high, except for shadow which is at high and smaa, it's holding at 60 fps.
Changing the shadow setting to very high causes the framerate to drop to 58 fps.

i7-4790K
32 GB DDR3
GTX 980TI
Win 7

Weird. I have essentially the same build, (see this post) with half your RAM and the only sub 60fps drops happen during sizable destruction. CPU bottle-necking I imagine because the GPU never really goes above 60% usage with everything on/maxxed at 1080p.

Maybe try latest drivers + borderless windowed or even offline?

MUnited83

For you.
i5-4690k
GTX 970
8GB Ram
Installed on a SSD

Its borderline unplayable on my end. Constant stuttering with drops to the 50s,40s and 30s. It just won't stop stuttering. Even when not destroying anything. Even when driving. Even when setting every setting to low and running the game at 480p.

This is fucking awful.

mintylurb

Weird. I have essentially the same build, (see this post) with half your RAM and the only sub 60fps drops happen during sizable destruction. CPU bottle-necking I imagine because the GPU never really goes above 60% usage with everything on/maxxed at 1080p.

Maybe try latest drivers + borderless windowed or even offline?

Drops to 58 fps doesn't happen often. Think it could be related to streaming as it's installed on wd raptor hdd.

BPoole

i5-4690k
GTX 970
8GB Ram
Installed on a SSD

Its borderline unplayable on my end. Constant stuttering with drops to the 50s,40s and 30s. It just won't stop stuttering. Even when not destroying anything. Even when driving. Even when setting every setting to low and running the game at 480p.

This is fucking awful.
I'm having the same experience. Every time I launch the game it's a dice roll and what the performance will be like. Sometimes Vsync locks my fps to 30 instead of 60 (still with dips), sometimes it will repeatedly freeze for half a second every 5 seconds of so, sometimes the performance will just go up and down from 20fps to 120fps.

The graphics settings have zero impact on performance, as you mentioned. Everything low or off and in 720x480 and it still has a wild frame rate.

Decided to play for a bit and just had my first crash after an hour and a half, happened after I tabbed out to see what the memory usage was and if my page file increased which it did to 80MB, 16MB is my default size. Anyway, I tabbed back in and was the game paused to reconnect to the server, did so and a minute later it crashed while I was doing an air race. Rudder control being placed on X and A is annoying, especially on top of the turn lag that makes it feel unresponsive, it might be even worse than the same issue with driving... I wonder just who they got from Criterion that was involved in rebuilding their driving "from the ground" up.

Oh and yeah, VRAM is only reaching 6000MHz but that's minor. I'm tempted to put everything at is lowest settings and cap the frame rate at 30 to see what happens.

EDIT: Okay, that was ugly at 640*480 and 30FPS was awful and didn't really make much difference aside from my 970 never boosting. Also rode a motorcycle for the first time, wow... I take back bitching about planes.

Some ~6th gen shit right here.
m8q9nTq.png

6Nb9OJT.png

As we already, obviously know this game is seriously CPU bound and lowering shit and halving the frame rate did little to change that.

Lagamorph

Uhhh...does this game have some hidden secret way of saving your game that I don't know about? I quit the game after getting past the initial part, but upon restarting it's completely started the game again for me....?

MaxiLive

Uhhh...does this game have some hidden secret way of saving your game that I don't know about? I quit the game after getting past the initial part, but upon restarting it's completely started the game again for me....?

I think it just auto saves? I haven't had any issues with saving.

Has anyone been having any crashes? For the first 2 days it was fine but now every 20 minutes or so it just randomly hangs and produces a crashdump. I can't see any reason for the hang as it can happen while there is lots going on or while doing nothing at all..

PC wise everything seems okay, plenty of memory left, GPU + CPU happy and other games have been working fine. I've got the latest GPU drivers etc it just random seems to be booming out for no discernible reason.

Lagamorph

I did notice someone on the Steam discussion forums mentioning that auto saves weren't working on Windows 10. Is anyone else running Windows 10 and saves are working ok?

dr_rus

It saves on a mission end I believe. So if you quit before the first mission ended (after shooting some cars with a minigun from a top of a tower) then you'll start over from zero.

FOV is insanely low, yeah. Playing on a display I feel like I'm watching on the world through a 50mm lenses.

Kronik

Banned
Guys, is there any workaround fix for the FoV yet? It's killing me, I literally felt sick after 5 minutes of playing :(

Top Bottom