• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Dance Sells 2 Million Copies, Becomes Fastest Selling Third Party New IP On Wii

Swittcher

Banned
ZealousD said:
If people wanted to dance like idiots, they could do this without having Just Dance at all.

This game is a turd, and it wins based on pure marketing and concept alone.

This game is encapsulates everything that is wrong with Ubisoft's marketing division

fixed.

Raide said:
Well, I guess it boils down to people buying it because it is fun, despite it being light on gameplay. After all, people do buy games to have harmless, stress free fun right?

I just watched my 4 year old niece play it with other family members and everyone had a good laugh. Yeah people look very odd playing it but who really cares when you are laughing your head off.

yeah, if people are having fun with it, w/e. It actually seems like there is an audience for this game as opposed to, say, Wii Music. It's like a karaoke machine that also shows you dance moves and uses vague controller inputes to to judge your performance.

it's like how Rock Band vocals are a lot more fun if you play on easy

Amir0x said:
see all you have to do is make a high quality product and the consumers will rush to buy it

But Just Dance is one of the best releases Ubisoft has put out for the Wii. :lol

racerx said:
This is what Natal was meant for.

I agree completely, actually. If someone cooks up a game that does something like this without the need for Wiimotes and releases it with augmented-reality and a bigger songlist, it could be a huge hit.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Raide said:
Well, I guess it boils down to people buying it because it is fun, despite it being light on gameplay. After all, people do buy games to have harmless, stress free fun right?

I just watched my 4 year old niece play it with other family members and everyone had a good laugh. Yeah people look very odd playing it but who really cares when you are laughing your head off.

"light" on gameplay? There is zero gameplay.

Seriously, popping in a CD and dancing like an idiot accomplishes the exact same thing. But people are embarassed when they do this. But somehow paying $40 for it as a "game" makes this activity somehow socially acceptable.

This isn't a game.

It's a psychological mind fuck. And Ubisoft is laughing its way to the bank.

This game's basically dancing in the mirror, but with a professional dancer in the mirror. I can see why it sold. People love having an excuse to dance.

Amir0x said:
see all you have to do is make a high quality product and the consumers will rush to buy it
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm (I haven't played Just Dance, so I can make no judgements either way as to its quality).

My impression of it though, is that it's a music game in the vein of Singstar, Rock Band, Guitar Hero, but with the focus on dancing rather than singing or playing in time to the music. It's a fantastic idea that nobody has attempted before.

Those of you comfortable enough in your masculinity to be able to play this game without being embarrassed, how is it?

SamBishop

Banned
Raide said:

Oh, I get that people are having a blast, and I'd never want to get in the way of that. I just start seeing red when something that looks like it was cooked up during a weekend bender ends up selling like hotcakes while genuine efforts are completely ignored. I mean, it's gameplay-absent. As in, there's no game to play. It's just a music player, essentially, and... arrgh, nevermind. I've already bitched enough about this stuff. I just don't want it to send the wrong message to devs.

The End Times are here. This is the way the world ends: Not with a bang but a Cabbage Patch/Running Man.

ZealousD

Swittcher said:

No, Ubisoft's marketing division is a genius here. They're selling a music CD with flashy colors as a "game" and getting millions of dollars in profit for it.

It's like the snake oil salesman has somehow convinced 2 million people his product works. It's not the marketing that's wrong. It's the product and the people paying for it.

letslol.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm (I haven't played Just Dance, so I can make no judgements either way as to its quality).

My impression of it though, is that it's a music game in the vein of Singstar, Rock Band, Guitar Hero, but with the focus on dancing rather than singing or playing in time to the music. It's a fantastic idea that nobody has attempted before.

Those of you comfortable enough in your masculinity to be able to play this game without being embarrassed, how is it?
Well, it's not bad, but it's like...

I think I have to agree with the statements that it like literally isn't a game. It's pretty much just a vaguely interactive "dance along to the silhouette" video with a snappy menu.

It's the same kind of a concept as the 100 book collection on DS, which to my knowledge is pretty much just a bunch of books on a cartridge.

Zombie James said:
You see these two probably would have scored the same in my experience.

ZealousD

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm.

Dance Dance Revolution? Hello?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

See for yourself: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-just-dance/17-1776/

Raide

Well, its not precise by any means, so you can just flail around and get it done. You still need to keep in time with the song, so following the dance moves on-screen does help.

A good variety of funny old cheesy songs, which go down well at drunken parties. :D

4 people dancing away to MC Hammer does lead to some funny moment when everyone tries to crab dance. :lol :lol

Oh, its also an awesome workout for those that really get into it. If you have Wives/GF/Partners etc, they will enjoy it more than Wii Fit. Seriously!

It is far and away the most successful game yet at taking the idea of "dancing" and transforming it into a party game. (Unlike DDR, which takes dancing and transforms it into a relatively unforgiving arcade experience.) It completely displaced Singstar at my friends' parties for a while and it was much more successful at getting people to laugh and loosen up before or without drinking.

I would say without hesitation that compared to the other party games available on Wii, with the knowledge that this title is $30, it is absolutely reasonable that it is by far the best selling amongst them.

ZealousD

charlequin said:
It is far and away the most successful game yet at taking the idea of "dancing" and transforming it into a party game. (Unlike DDR, which takes dancing and transforms it into a relatively unforgiving arcade experience.) It completely displaced Singstar at my friends' parties for a while and it was much more successful at getting people to laugh and loosen up before or without drinking.

So you're agreeing with me? That somehow spending that $30 somehow fucks with people's inhibitions enough to do an otherwise easily done activity that would otherwise be embarassing?

SamBishop

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Wow. I bet that logic would convert into an awesome innertube ride.

Would you enjoy an innertube if it just sat in a fetid pool filled with dead leaves somewhere?

Honest answer: I really don't enjoy just lazily floating down a stream in an innertube, but the rest of my family apparently thinks it's a hoot. Throw that fucker down a water slide or get me into some fast-moving water where there's some splashing going on and we're talking. I guess I'd rather something entertain me rather than me trying to make my own entertainment after I've already paid for it.

I came in here expecting to see the wide-mouthed granny animated .gif from the commercial. Colour me disappointed.

That said, I have DDR at home and that's plenty enough dancing for me. Does it make you look any less embarrassing than Just Dance? I doubt it, but at least the controls are much clearer.

Saw it being played last November at the eGames expo in Melbourne, and I'll admit it looked pretty funny in a quirky kinda way.

Would never play it myself.

Seems a great fit for Natal though from the way I saw it being played.

Meier

ZealousD said:

I've never played Just Dance but I'm guessing they're not very similar. You don't actually dance in DDR.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Nirolak said:
You see these two probably would have scored the same in my experience.

The game take basic motion info and transforms it into a motion on screen? Sounds horrible, but it seems casual folks don't actually want to play a game, they want the illusion of interactivity. Most of these motions game you could play a video back of the game and people would have no idea that their motions were not causing it.

It seems any of the system could have this game, use Sixaxis or camera info to detect motion and make something on the screen move, you don't need precision for drunk people or kids.

ZealousD

Meier said:
I've never played Just Dance but I'm guessing they're not very similar. You don't actually dance in DDR.

And Just Dance ain't exactly a music game like Singstar or Rock Band, either.

ZealousD said:

DDR isn't about free motion or popular dance moves. It's a very difficult arcade game with a brutal learning curve. From what I've seen of Just Dance, they're very different.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DeadGzuz said:
The game take basic motion info and transforms it into a motion on screen? Sounds horrible, but it seems casual folks don't actually want to play a game, they want the illusion of interactivity. Most of these motions game you could play a video back of the game and people would have no idea that their motions were not causing it.

It seems any of the system could have this game, use Sixaxis or camera info to detect motion and make something on the screen move, you don't need precision for drunk people or kids.
No the motion on the screen is literally a video. You just try to emulate it.

There's a rough scoring system that essentially gives you full points if you are even remotely close to what's going on.

ZealousD

DDR isn't about free motion or popular dance moves. It's a very difficult arcade game with a brutal learning curve.

I have a DDR setup at home.

My 50 year-old mother has played it several times. She hasn't expressed any interest in any of my other games.

ZealousD said:
So you're agreeing with me? That somehow spending that $30 somehow fucks with people's inhibitions enough to do an otherwise easily done activity that would otherwise be embarassing?

No, you're being completely ridiculous. Imagine your line of argument about karaoke: "what's so different about singing with a microphone on a little stage at a bar? It's just tricking people into doing something they could do anywhere!" Well, no fucking shit, Sherlock. :lol The point is that designing an activity which people will participate in, lower their inhibitions while participating in, and enjoy enough to do so again is difficult -- that's why people value activities that are designed to do so well.

Meier said:

They are indeed not very similar at all.

DeadGzuz said:
The game take basic motion info and transforms it into a motion on screen?

No, it actually does nothing remotely like that. It's a rhythm game where you move the Wiimotes in certain ways in time with the music and a pre-recorded video on the screen shows you what dance moves to do.

Vandiger said:
So just shaking the controller can make you earn points, bravo Ubisoft
Just like how you can earn high scores by sitting next to the mat and hitting the pads with your hands in DDR. You could do it that way, but you'd be doing it wrong.

ZealousD said:

Like it or not this is the main audience that bought into the Wii. What sold the system was Wii Sports, which was vague approximations of real activities. Then there is Wii Fit, which is a bunch of work out exercises you could do without spending the $90 for the scale and software. Then you have EA Sports Active and Just Dance that appeal to this crowd. It's that kind of stuff and then the family games like what Nintendo offers (NSMB, Mario Kart, etc) that are popular.

I don't see the problem with that as long as the reasons I got into video games are ignored, and they don't seem to be. Ubisoft can put of one of my favorite games from last year, Assassin's Creed 2, and then put out this cheap party game. More power to them. Even microsoft understands that these are two different audiences by having two E3 conferences.

jman2050

Honestly I find the success of this game absolutely hilarious for a number of reasons.

Talk about a curve ball :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Linkzg said:
Like it or not this is the main audience that bought into the Wii. What sold the system was Wii Sports, which was vague approximations of real activities. Then there is Wii Fit, which is a bunch of work out exercises you could do without spending the $90 for the scale and software. Then you have EA Sports Active and Just Dance that appeal to this crowd. It's that kind of stuff and then the family games like what Nintendo offers (NSMB, Mario Kart, etc) that are popular.

I don't see the problem with that as long as the reasons I got into video games are ignored, and they don't seem to be. Ubisoft can put of one of my favorite games from last year, Assassin's Creed 2, and then put out this cheap party game. More power to them. Even microsoft understands that these are two different audiences by having two E3 conferences.
Actually Microsoft only has one E3 conference. The thing before hand is a hands on event to show off their games to the press before they show it off on stage. They must be confident enough that this will give them better press write-ups than just revealing it at the main conference.

They did technically have a second conference solely for core games this year though, but that was X10 back in February.

ZealousD

charlequin said:
No, you're being completely ridiculous. Imagine your line of argument about karaoke: "what's so different about singing with a microphone on a little stage at a bar? It's just tricking people into doing something they could do anywhere!" Well, no fucking shit, Sherlock. :lol The point is that designing an activity which people will participate in, lower their inhibitions while participating in, and enjoy enough to do so again is difficult -- that's why people value activities that are designed to do so well.

You say I'm being ridiculous, and yet you said basically the same thing. It lowers inhibitions.

JDSN

Banned
Next time I see my cousin and her friends playing this I will be offended that they are having so much fun when they could be playing Modern Warfare 25.

Galvanise_ said:
*throws self off a cliff*

I don't get this attitude at all.

I don't understand how some of you people just can't understand that not everybody has the same taste as you. Why can't you let other people have fun? Ubisoft has a hit game, everybody (in the target audience) who plays it seems to love it. My female students rave about this game. They are never going to play Gears of War or Killzone, just like you are never going to play Just Dance. All of you people bitching need to be happy that Ubisoft is making assloads of cash off this game. As long as they are making money hand over fist they are going to be able to continue to make Assassin's Creeds and Splinter Cells and all the other "hardcore" games you crave.

Be happy that the game is a success. There has been too many stories of failure this gen.

I have played it.

Its fun.

On the other hand it looks poorly designed, the images that goes with every track look amateurish... almost as if Ubisoft wasnt even trying...

Kind of like the donkey and the flute

Haunted

This had a huge marketing push before Christmas in Europe. Saw TV ads for this constantly.

Ubisoft's biggest marketing budget for a Wii title to date.

Vandiger said:
So just shaking the controller can make you earn points, bravo Ubisoft
It's like button mashing in fighting games.

ShinNL

Oh gawd, you corey core gamers of hardcoreness with your macho corey comments. Those who make these absurd comments, have you even played this game? This is one of the games I always start at least once when I have people over and it's a blast.

However, it seems no one in this thread has understood why this game is selling so well.

Part of the reason is that it's a fun party game with a great concept. However, that's only part of it's success. This game is also bought by people who use their Wii's for exercise. I'm one of them. You know how they say it's healthy to move at least 30 minutes actively every day? Believe me, this game makes it really easy. Dance to a few songs and before you know it you've been moving for an hour, having trouble to breathe :lol
It makes moving fun.

I will buy Just Dance 2, 3, 4, 5 just for more songs in a heartbeat. This is actually great software with some actual thought put into it.

Top Bottom