• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just finished Guardians of the Galaxy, I hope there will be a sequel

Stafford

Holy shit, where did this game come from man? I remember a few years ago during a SE stream they showed the game for the first time and me and my buddies were "eh". But then those reviews came and the praise was real.

I now get it after having finished it. This developer team are hardcore fans of the source material, they stay true to it too, no forced nonsense either, thank you! The characters are great, their conversations feel genuine and at many times quite funny, they are likeable. Absolutely love the attention to detail in this game too, from the highly detailed characters and facial expressions to the space ship that feels lived in, and again all the details there that make sense.

Quite enjoyed the story too. Yes, gameplay wise it feels there is something missing but to be honest it never bothered me. Once I got the really cool abilities for myself and the others combat really grew on me too. When it comes to the IP, this team knew what they were doing. Visually fantastic too.

I hope they get a high budget for their next game by Embracer because I'm sure it's gonna be great. I really would love a sequel, but I'm not sure if it really was a big succes. It really should have been. I haven't played the Spidey games yet, I will once I get a PS5, but right now this is for me up there with Batman AA and AC.

Now I'm gonna go for new game plus, find the few outfits I didn't find and make some different choices.

VN1X

Banned
Yeah loved it from start to finish. The attention to detail in everything ranging from the dialogue to the environments is really impressive. And I love that it rewards exploration as well with a ton of collectibles or more lore/narrative unlocks. It's also one of the few games where I was itching to play it again from start to finish after completing it (if only I had more free time lol).

It's a shame it's flown under the radar for many as it's easily one of the better Marvel games.

Lunarorbit

Absolutely hated the combat. Small enemy variety, everything was a bullet sponge. If they overhaul it I'd be down for a sequel.
Glad people liked it but the humor was horrible in my opinion. Getting into a circle and telling shitty puns is just as bad as the loading screen for Knights of the Round on psx. I got about halfway and couldn't take anymore.

Decent game. Worth a playthrough.

Will need to do something extra to get me onboard sequal though. Fully fleshed out combat would be a start.

Stafford

Yeah loved it from start to finish. The attention to detail in everything ranging from the dialogue to the environments is really impressive. And I love that it rewards exploration as well with a ton of collectibles or more lore/narrative unlocks. It's also one of the few games where I was itching to play it again from start to finish after completing it (if only I had more free time lol).

It's a shame it's flown under the radar for many as it's easily one of the better Marvel games.

Yeah, they really nailed it. I love how as the story progress the members really get along way better, they really grow so to speak, and it's done so damn well. And again, those visuals man. When a game looks this good I can look past the 30fps, I sure as hell wasn't gonna pick the performance mode compared to the super crisp and clean look of raytracing mode.

Now I'm in the mood to watch the two movies again, haha.

Bigfroth

I liked it, but it didn't meet Sqaure's internal sales number predictions. They seem to greatly overestimate their potential sales numbers, remember Tomb Raider lol? I don't hold much hope in seeing a sequel plus I don't think Square owns the IP anymore. You could try replaying the first game a different way, maybe try using a different color controller, that could make it a whole new experience :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Denton

Wonderful game and better than any of the movies, but there probably won't be a sequel since it wasn't successful enough.

Kilau

I mostly enjoyed it. It got very repetitive and super buggy. I had to replay the last few levels multiple times because the achievement for beating the game just wouldn’t unlock. Also had issues many times where characters just wouldn’t interact anymore and had to reset. Plus Star-Lord’s VA was obnoxious sounding.

T4keD0wN

Loved it aside from the shitty JRPGish gameplay.
Id be down for a sequel as long as it was made by the same writing team, but one of the writing leads is doing the next mass effect and who knows if marvel is willing to work with embracer.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s a lot of bad super hero games going around Batman went from first to worse (Gotham knights) guardians of the galaxy seems to struggle against Spider-Man ps4.

Yeah, it was ... fine. The constant talk online that it's some sort of unappreciated, overlooked masterpiece is nothing but hyperbole. The story was cool, as was the dialog, but the gameplay was not engaging whatsoever.

Battle starts. Circle the battle field while doing the following. Use Guardian Powers. Shoot elemental shots, until they need to recharge. Shoot regular shots, until they need to recharge. Repeat. There was no variety in enemies types, encounters, combat strategies, or anything really.

This game was barely one step above a walking sim. What a waste of the the studio that made Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It wasn't bad but i mean i still prefer half a Deus Ex game (like Mankind Divided) over this.

I think even the Eidos Tomb Raider was better.

Deus Ex by Eidos is one of my favorite games and I do hope we get more now that they are no longer with Square.

I only played this game because it came to Game Pass and it cost me nothing extra to check it out even though I hate Super Hero/Marvel games. I ended up playing through the entire game and totally loved it. I hope we see a sequel to this game.

Like others have mentioned, the combat gets too repetitive, which is why I cant finish it. I cant take listening to Starlord or Groot say I'am Groot" for every response for 25+ hours. Last time I played, I kept asking myself "when is this game going to end"? Theres is a a LOT of cheesy "walking and talking" sections, but the writing is so bad, I dont care to know what the story is about. I think the game is too long. It was fun for the first 10 hours.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Not a fan of Marvel movies but definitely loved this game. Really felt like a playstation exclusive in terms of quality.

AGRacing

Absolutely hated the combat. Small enemy variety, everything was a bullet sponge. If they overhaul it I'd be down for a sequel.
I was of this opinion until I figured out what they were going for. I half blame their tutorial and half blame myself.

The game absolutely deserves a sequel.

It was good, not great. I still played through the whole game, and enjoyed it quite a bit, but it certainly wasn't groundbreaking. I did enjoy the story, and the game was pretty polished imo. I would gladly play through a sequel. Perfect example of an 80/100 game

Pilgrimzero

Just beat it myself. Despite the lackluster combat everything else was gold. I love this version of the Guardians. Fun dialogue, awesome music, and a great story.

Really sad to see it wont get a sequel. It definitely deserves one.

JayK47

I wish there was more to the combat. I got so bored of it halfway through. Really needed more variety. Story and levels were ok. If they made improvements, yeah I could play a sequel.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I liked it a lot but found little incentive to replay it, to be honest. It's cool that there's a NG+ mode but I didn't think that the combat was so crazy good that I had to give it another go for some extra challenge or whatever. The team abilities was a pretty good idea that worked well to reinforce the story and characters but that's about it. The game biggest strength is the story, writing, and voice acting, and the gameplay is pretty much just serviceable.

I would love to see a sequel that opens up a little into a more metroidvania-style campaign structure instead of a strictly linear one, and with more abilities and gameplay elements to play around with outside of combat. Maybe have the rest of the team be playable as well? Or introduce Thor into the mix, that would be cool. This game felt more like a jRPG in the way it was structured and how linear it was, and this really takes away from the replayability, especially since there is no overworld to explore or some optional boss fights or secrets to seek out.

Last edited:

Certinty

It’s still my favourite game this generation. The story, characters, attention to detail, dialogue, graphics, variety in worlds and so on is something else. Like you said though, the combat wasn’t great but thankfully there wasn’t much of it.

Such a shame the game basically flopped because of the Avengers one if anything. The game played like a first party Sony AAA title for the most part, would have been interesting to see if under a different publisher it would have got the credit it deserved.

Top Bottom