• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got an email saying my PSN Sign in ID (Email) was changed. Need help.

Buzzbrad

Hello Gaf, I am in need of some help in regards to my PSN account! I woke up today to an email saying my Sign In ID (email) was changed for my Playstation Account. I did not do this change so I contacted support. They were quite awful and did not help at all. Here is how the live chat session went:

Samuel: Hello, My name is Samuel how may I assist you today?
Me: Hello Samuel
Me: I got an email that my email on my PSN account was changed and now I can't log in
Me: I did not do this and I believe I was hacked
Samuel: I am sorry to hear that you are not able to access your account, Bradley; don't worry, let me take a look at your account and help you out with the recovery process.
Samuel: For documentation purposes and to update your profile information, would you please provide us with:
-Online ID
-Email address
-Phone number
Me: Buzzbrad - Online ID
Me: *my email* - Email
Me: Phone number - *my phone number*
Samuel: Thank you for your information.
Samuel: I am sorry, but the information is not matching. By any chance, do you have access to the original email address the account was created under? If so, can you please provide it to me?
Me: Yes it isn't matching because my email was changed
Me: the original email I do not have access to but I believe I know what it is
Me: *my old email from when I was young*
Samuel: The information is still not matching. Do not worry, we can still try to recover the account with a different step. Can you please provide me the serial number of the console used to create the PSN account or the first console you signed in to?
Me: Well that PS3 got the YLOD and I no longer have it. So I do not know the serial number.
Samuel: In that case, can you please provide me the first four digits and the last four digits of the credit card used on the PSN account?
Me: I don't believe I even have a credit card on file for my PSN account, that is very worrisome if someone hacked my PSN account and now has access to a credit card I don't ever remember putting on my account.
Samuel: I am truly sorry because, we would need to have the correct information to be able to recover the account. While I understand how frustrating this can be, I am not able to keep this chat active without providing more assistance, I kindly ask you to contact us back once you have the proper information. If there is nothing else I can do for you, I will need to disconnect this chat session. Thank you for chatting with us.
Me: This is very simple I am Bradley *insert last name*, the owner of the account. My email was changed without my consent, change it back.
The agent has ended the chat.

I never had a credit card on file for my PSN account, and I don't know the serial number of my first PS3 due to it getting the YLOD and now it is gone. I don't know what to do now. I just have lost access to my PSN account for good it seems.

Mediking

Wow.... yikes...... Ummmmmm..... I don't know..... you might hafta make a new PSN.... and thanks for reminding me to stop complaining about having the 2 step thing on so everytime I turn on my PS4, I get a text with a code to access it. Thank you for reminding me that this is necessary as heck.

I'm going to be elephant in the room and get this question out of the way, did you have 2-step verification? (lol I deleted it, but people quote it so I'll just put it back)
Nevermind I see now what happened. That sucks OP, so wait a minute, they need to know if there's a credit card under the account? That's weird but I can understand.

spekkeh

Banned
I dunno, it sucks but it seems like they did everything they could. If they would give it to you without you being able to verify anything then that would be worse.

foxbeldin

Nevermind I see now what happened.

Probably not otherwise he'd have emergency codes.

I dunno, it sucks but it seems like they did everything they could. If they would give it to you without you being able to verify anything then that would be worse.

But he can prove his identity. If they just sent an email at his former address with an undo link, this wouldn't be an issue.

I have 2-steps but no f'in idea what my original ps3 serial number was.

idonteven

that the hacker was able to change the e mail doesnt that mean that ur e mail got hacked ? they need that link sony mails you to change it right ?

Soulflarz

Banned
Also to be fair, Sony CS can't really give you an account back if you can't provide basic information on the account, such as the original email. Social engineering doesn't need to be more dangerous.

Good luck and all, don't know how far you'll get.

Handy Fake

Ring them. I get the sense they think Live Chat is for chancers, they're a lot more helpful by phone.

They wouldn't be able to give you any details of cards on the account anyway, it's illegal, unless they've verified who you are.

TalonJH

Call them. I feel like I always have better luck over the phone.

I'm going to be elephant in the room and get this question out of the way, did you have 2-step verification? (lol I deleted it, but people quote it so I'll just put it back)
Nevermind I see now what happened. That sucks OP, so wait a minute, they need to know if there's a credit card under the account? That's weird but I can understand.

They were trying to verify he owned the account and isn't just calling and trying to steal an account.

So you don't know the email you used to make it, don't have the system anymore, and don't know the credit card number that you don't even remember putting on it? Sorry OP but there's not a lot they can really do if you have nothing to help.

Buzzbrad

Also to be fair, Sony CS can't really give you an account back if you can't provide basic information on the account, such as the original email. Social engineering doesn't need to be more dangerous.

Good luck and all, don't know how far you'll get.

So you don't know the email you used to make it, don't have the system anymore, and don't know the credit card number that you don't even remember putting on it? Sorry OP but there's not a lot they can really do if you have nothing to help.

That is the thing, I gave them the original email address. I know 100% the one I provided is the one I created the account on.

test_account

XP-39C²
this is one aspect of Sony that is so awful. my feels.....
Considering that the information he gave didnt match up, it would be pretty poor security if they gave him access to the account. Or what would you do differently?

-----

But as others have mentioned, try calling instead. Hopefully it will be sorted out.

The LAST Sony PSN account hack thread got me off my ass to set up 2-step verification. I suggest everybody even reading this thread do it TODAY

Soulflarz

Banned
That is the thing, I gave them the original email address. I know 100% the one I provided is the one I created the account on.
Possible you're misremembering?
I mean, there was a lot of info there that was left blank. If it was a gmail or such, check your old archives for proof.

Not saying it's wrong for sure, I'm just saying no one would give an account out on this info.

I got a random 2 step notification to my phone around midday, makes me wonder if someone was trying to access my account too. Quite glad they released it when they did...

Best of luck getting your account back.

Fbh

That sucks OP. Doesn't really seems like the guy from Sony was being terrible though

Wow.... yikes...... Ummmmmm..... I don't know..... you might hafta make a new PSN.... and thanks for reminding me to stop complaining about having the 2 step thing on so everytime I turn on my PS4, I get a text with a code to access it. Thank you for reminding me that this is necessary as heck.

If you have it set to auto login on your ps4 you don't have to enter the code every time.

Though I guess that only really works if you are either the only (or main) user of the console

you don't remember the original email? they said it was wrong but you said "they changed it" that doesnt make sense

You should try calling them

They really pissed me off once when I accidentally bought ds2 on ps3 instead of 4 and wouldn't refund it. Still haven't got it on ps4 to actually play the damn thing. Oh well, maybe xbox scorpio will give me good up ports

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I have 2step and I don't get a text

Buzzbrad

Possible you're misremembering?
I mean, there was a lot of info there that was left blank. If it was a gmail or such, check your old archives for proof.

Not saying it's wrong for sure, I'm just saying no one would give an account out on this info.

The thing is when I have seen this happen in the past, websites usually have an easy way to switch the email back. If I didn't make the change and have access to the email it was changed from, I don't see the issue. It happened literally 8 hours ago.

NewDust

and I don't know the serial number of my first PS3 due to it getting the YLOD and now it is gone.

I guess you didn't send it in for repair? Otherwise your serial might be onfile in one of your rma emails/documents

Also, and not that i makes it any better, I truly belief Samuel is trying to help you, but it seems everything that could go wrong, went wrong in regards to your account history.

Soulflarz

Banned
The thing is when I have seen this happen in the past, websites usually have an easy way to switch the email back. If I didn't make the change and have access to the email it was changed from, I don't see the issue. It happened literally 8 hours ago.

It's because you cannot verify you are the account owner, hence policy is to not give you any access to the account.

It's not a matter of them screwing you over personally, it's a security issue if they suddenly let people call in with minimal info about the account to change things.

If a guy took your account and changed the email, then you changed it back, he could call and use your reason to get your account back indefinitely, as long as the case wasn't escalated.

Joni

So you demand access to the account with no proof that it was your account. They denied you access because that is exactly how social engineering goes.

spekkeh

Banned
But he can prove his identity. If they just sent an email at his former address with an undo link, this wouldn't be an issue.
Maybe that email was hacked and that's the reason [real account holder] changed the email to a new one. Now the hacker contacts Sony to change it back. There was a huge password hack (LinkedIn?) recently that prompted every major site to ask for new login credentials. And now someone wants access with an old account without being able to verify anything.

STEaMkb

(1) Call them; when you get your account back
(2) Add a security question and answer to your account.
(3) Enable 2-step authentication.

I got a random 2 step notification to my phone around midday, makes me wonder if someone was trying to access my account too. Quite glad they released it when they did...

Best of luck getting your account back.

That is pretty scary. This makes me fine with having to do 2-Step on just about everything I do with my account.

ViciousDS

Banned
surprised they don't do what blizzard does when shit gets nailed. A copy of your state ID is enough to unlock anything over there and thank heavens it is.....I have sometimes switched phones without backing up the restoration code for the app.

Paz

This might sound awful but I kind of feel good about how thorough they are about this, if someone could get their login details changed with just the information you provided that'd be kind of terrifying.

Hopefully you can elevate it and provide ID as proof of who you are.

Top Bottom