• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got an email saying my PSN Sign in ID (Email) was changed. Need help.

Joni

surprised they don't do what blizzard does when shit gets nailed. A copy of your state ID is enough to unlock anything over there and thank heavens it is.....I have sometimes switched phones without backing up the restoration code for the app.
Wouldn't they need to know before that you are the owner of the account?

5taquitos

This is the issue I have with it. My email was changed without me confirming anything on my original email. I should surely have to approve something on my original email.

Do you have 2FA enabled for your email account?

Edit: Nevermind, seeing now that they don't prompt a confirmation on the original email address.

TalonJH

surprised they don't do what blizzard does when shit gets nailed. A copy of your state ID is enough to unlock anything over there and thank heavens it is.....I have sometimes switched phones without backing up the restoration code for the app.

I don't think they ask for a real name when you sign up so an ID probably wouldn't be enough for them.

FireSol

I've been in the same situation and if they changed the info, still there is the chance to get it back, you must have mail with your transactions they include your ID, Order Number, and date of the purchase, the more you have the better. When I provided this info problem was solved

TalonJH

This is the issue I have with it. My email was changed without me confirming anything on my original email. I should surely have to approve something on my original email.

I assume it's set up that way so if you lose access to an email account, you can still transfer over since you can't access the old email.

I hope you get your account back. Is CS open where you live? Like we said, calling may help.

I swear you have a date of birth and name when I signed up.....hm....maybe thats for the profile info....which anyone can change,

Had to go verify because I didn't remember for sure. Nope, no name, just DoB.
VjAIsNR.png

mackattk

I feel a little bit safer knowing that they request info from you before handing the account back to you (or a stranger). It really sucks and you got the shit end of things and hope you can get your account back. I still have my original PS3 in storage, I should right down the serial number of it and my other playstation consoles just in case I need them in the future and store them in 1password.

Just going by the chat though, I don't see how they could really help you out since you weren't able to pony up any information to the questions that were given. As far as the CC it said "used", not on file. They might be able to look at what CC was used in a transaction online, assuming you bought anything with a CC and not gift cards. If it was me in that situation giving you the questions, I wouldn't give your account back either.

Assuming you can get your account back, you might need to think about 2FA and a password manager like 1password, lastpass, or equivalent to create a password that is unique and used solely for your PSN account.

JC Lately

2fa is not the be all end all either. I was just trying to log in to my account on the website this morning, and never got the text. Had to burn one of my back-up codes to get in. Will be glad when/if they support an independent authenticator.

My fucking FimFiction account supports Google authenticator, yet Sony can't seem to figure that shit out.

Farewell

Wow, hope you can change your email back OP, good luck.

I also sold my console where i activated my account, but i've enabled 2FA, are you good to go then without worry?

Sony CS is the absolute worst. I had to get my password reset at one point, and even having all of my correct account info, it was a cluster fuck taking hours on the phone to accomplish. Not to mention the time my girlfriend bought Life is Strange over PSN and the game wouldn't launch due to license issues. They pretty much told us they couldn't fix it and wouldn't give us a refund. Similar to the OP, every time we tried they would just cut us off and say they couldn't help us anymore in both chat and on the phone. I'm mainly an Xbox guy anyway, so we just got her one and our PS4s have been collecting dust ever since minus an Uncharted 4 play through.

Not that I haven't had issues with Xbox CS etc, but they have always made it right in the end. But Sony... Sony talks a big talk about loving their consumers until it comes down to money. For the players lol

Justinh

I hope you find a way to get your account back OP. This thread made me realize I didn't know what my secret question/answer was so I changed that.

I still feel I need to proactively deactivate/reactivate my PS4 as my primary system just so someone else can't do it for the next six months at least, but I'm afraid something's going to go wrong.

I'm not sure if you are taking "a couple of days" way too literally or if you really think that less than three weeks is enough to get a sizable portion of a service with over 60 million active users to upgrade to TSA.

With all the sony got hacked and my psn got hacked threads, and 2fa being one of the most desired and awaited feature, him being a gaf using enough to create his own thread, one could think he would know about the release of 2fa weeks ago. That being said this sucks but without being able to give the rep much info over just a chat, I am not sure what else the rep could do for him.

Iorv3th

Did the e-mail you received say "if this wasn't you click here" or anything?

E-flux

At this point i'd really like a poll of how many ps4 gaffer accounts have been stolen. Also people who are saying that OP should have used 2step, i'm fairly sure but today Sony finally told you about it when you updated your console, so i don't really blame OP if he missed the threads here about it being already active.

mackattk

Sony CS is the absolute worst. I had to get my password reset at one point, and even having all of my correct account info, it was a cluster fuck taking hours on the phone to accomplish. Not to mention the time my girlfriend bought Life is Strange over PSN and the game wouldn't launch due to license issues. They pretty much told us they couldn't fix it and wouldn't give us a refund. Similar to the OP, every time we tried they would just cut us off and say they couldn't help us anymore in both chat and on the phone. I'm mainly an Xbox guy anyway, so we just got her one and our PS4s have been collecting dust ever since minus an Uncharted 4 play through.

Not that I haven't had issues with Xbox CS etc, but they have always made it right in the end. But Sony... Sony talks a big talk about loving their consumers until it comes down to money. For the players lol

It is one of my great fears is being hacked or somehow losing money over PSN. The only thing you can really do is try to get your account back if the former, and eat the loss if the latter. It sucks because everything else about the system/ecosystem is great.

Sony really should have sent a system wide email campaign letting users know that 2fa is now available when they implemented it two weeks ago. Luckily I saw the thread about it on Neogaf. I am honestly kind of surprised there wasn't a sticky in the gaming subforum letting everyone know that it is available, given all the Sony hacked threads we have had over the past year and the time and headache it could induce.

EmiPrime

It is one of my great fears is being hacked or somehow losing money over PSN. The only thing you can really do is try to get your account back if the former, and eat the loss if the latter. It sucks because everything else about the system/ecosystem is great.

You really have nothing to worry about if you have a 30 character unique password and 2FA enabled.

Get something like keepass or LastPass, combined with a dropbox account you should have a database of your entire digital "life" on record somewhere so you never have to start trying to guess what the heck your 15 year old PSN, Blizzard, or Myspace account was registered with and what data you used to register it.

I always put down EVERYTHING into a new entry now whenever I register somewhere new including DoB/email/security QAs/name/address/etc, attach a unique password, and keep the last 100 backups of my keepass database (which itself is password encrypted) around in my dropbox. I can access it on my PC, my phone, my tablet, and even have a two thumb drives with it that I keep in my bank safe deposit box and at my parents house. My digital "life" is far, far, far more important and valuable now than anything else.

I don't honestly blame Sony in this case, it would be pretty fucked up if someone called and said basically "well... I can't provide a single piece of evidence this account is mine, but trust me, it is!"

Brannon

I just realized now that Sony offered it. Sadly I did not have it on my account yet.

Damn, how timely, I have 2-factor, and I woke up a few days ago at around 2AM to my phone pinging me about a password reset every two minutes or so. Very lucky that I activated it ASAP because I could've been in the same spot. Changed my password for PSN and my email immediately just in case.

Get something like keepass or LastPass

Gonna have to break down and use one of these; I'm sure of my memory, but a bit of quick introspection just made me realize how many passwords I keep in my head, and it's ridiculous.

SenkiDala

Also to be fair, Sony CS can't really give you an account back if you can't provide basic information on the account, such as the original email. Social engineering doesn't need to be more dangerous.

Good luck and all, don't know how far you'll get.

Came here to post that. OP can't provide even 1 of the information requested by the assistance... How can the person from the assistance know that it's really the owner of the PSN ID who is calling? It would be awkward if you just needed to call and ask a reset of whatever PSN ID without having Sony any informations...

Of course good luck recovering your account though. And next time active the 2FA, it's been out since 3 months so you had time to do so. :/ Good luck, really.

EDIT: Oops, haven't seen the 2nd page... Sorry, I said a lot of bs, then. xD It sucks that even with 2FA you have been hacked. :/

JP

The issue with emails is that they are also a part of the validation system, they'd be right to refuse entry when you can't give the registered email address because it is a part of validation information.

I do hope that you sort to out but I'd be incredibly concerned if they had accepted what you were saying.

EDIT:
Due to this, nobody should be using an email address that they either don't know or don't have access to. As a user it's solely your responsibility to ensure that this never happens as you will inevitably end up in trouble when something goes wrong.

No offence, but I hope everyone uses this as a warning about their emails and making sure the one they use is the one that's linked to their console.
Nearly every thread has that story beat 'i made the email years ago and don't use it anymore".
What do you expect the poor guy on the phone to do in that situation? He's sending you an email to the original email linked to the console, you not having access to said email makes it look like you're the hacker.

N30RYU

Really doesn't look a Sony fault to me... they asked you 3 ways to recover it and you couldn't provide any relevant info...

Is there any info in the mail that you can use? like the new mail? Are the secret questions changed? have you tryied to change it again?

Have you asked if you can provide any other relevant info? maybe some code you used on that account to put money on your wallet or maybe tell them your last purchases and dates... you may have some transaction email stored in your mail... I don't know...

Buzzbrad

No offence, but I hope everyone uses this as a warning about their emails and making sure the one they use is the one that's linked to their console.
Nearly every thread has that story beat 'i made the email years ago and don't use it anymore".
What do you expect the poor guy on the phone to do in that situation? He's sending you an email to the original email linked to the console, you not having access to said email makes it look like you're the hacker.

I have access to the email that was on my account. Don't know what your talking about sorry.

Did the e-mail you received say "if this wasn't you click here" or anything?

Nope nothing of that sorts.

Really doesn't look a Sony fault to me... they asked you 3 ways to recover it and you couldn't provide any relevant info...

Is there any info in the mail that you can use? like the new mail? Are the secret questions changed? have you tryied to change it again?

Have you asked if you can provide any other relevant info? maybe some code you used on that account to put money on your wallet or maybe tell them your last purchases and dates... you may have some transaction email stored in your mail... I don't know...

I provided them with the original email the account was created on, the current email before it was changed and the phone number. I do not remember for the life of me putting a credit card on it and I don't have my original PS3. Don't know what else I could've done in that case.

whitehawk

Banned
Same thing happened to me, but I was able to give him my ps3 serial number I used to create the account.

Not sure what to say.

zma1013

Is the 2FA on for Sony accounts working well? I thought I read some people having issues with it? Is that not true? I was just waiting for any bugs to get worked out but I'll go ahead and do it if it's okay.

Fisty

Same thing happened to me, but I was able to give him my ps3 serial number I used to create the account.

Not sure what to say.

What happens if you opened your PSN account on a PSP and that crappy serial number sticker fell off a decade ago?

Yjynx

That kind of sucks op. But try to really remember what email you use to create the account and give them a call. Because otherwise I hate saying this but you sound like a scammer.

TLDR; try again gives them a call provide more information and detail.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Trust me, you would not be happy if it were that easy to take over a PSN account without any supporting proof of ownership. :)

Giolon

This reminds me of when my SOE account for Star Wars Galaxies got hacked. They wanted the credit card on file with the account, which has been inactive for something like 4 years - and I was told that was the only information I could provide that would allow them to regrant access to my account :-/ no email addresses, billing addresses, full names, etc.

Absolute shitty for you. I hope you didn't lose too many games?

Contact them via phone as suggested and dont be afraid to escalate it to a manager.

Its bullshit like this that I only have bought a handful of ps4 games from the store and the majority of my gaming on Xbox one.

If I was needed to give my serial number of my first registered PlayStation I'd be out of luck as my ex never gave my PS3 back!

Hope you get it sorted OP. Keep us posted

Tame

*bump

wish i had read this thread sooner. I've just had the same email as the OP about my sign in details being changed.

Looking forward to banging my head against the brick wall known as customer support.

hopefully wont be too painful, I think i deleted all my card details a wee while ago (but my memory sucks and i could be wrong

I havent even switched my PS4 on in a few months. I might have seen that PS accounts had 2 step verification otherwise

Top Bottom