• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got my console (and I assume my account) banned from Live for playing Halo 4.

The_Monk

Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and Steam. I like them all and I have products from all of them. I can recommend them to friends and family and I adore them but there's absolutely no way I would spend my money on any of them if they did to me this. It's not a matter of spending money, it's because they will not get nothing from me as a consumer.

robotnjik

I don't think they have a problem with people playing the game early as much as they have a problem with people trying to log onto their network with the game early.
That was their reason and reply I got from support after explaining was>
Subject: Account banned
Posted to: 15 - My LIVE account was suspended
Reason: Sorry, the permanent suspension will stand as issued for pre-release gameplay.

This is a quote from Stephen Toulouse, when he was Director of Xbox LIVE Policy and Enforcement:

"I can be clear however that this applies to illegitimate copies only, the ban covers the Xbox LIVE account and could possibly include their console depending on the results of our investigations (which are ongoing). We do this from time to time with titles to combat piracy," he wrote to Kotaku. "If a user happens to purchase a legit copy of Halo 3: ODST early, then our problem is not with the user but the retailer who broke the street date. Those individuals will not be punished."

It's not clear when or why MS changed this policy.
I haven't kept up with this thread, did the OP end up showing them the receipt? If not, the policy could be in effect and they just assumed without the receipt that it was piracy.

Lothars

This is a quote from Stephen Toulouse, when he was Director of Xbox LIVE Policy and Enforcement:

"I can be clear however that this applies to illegitimate copies only, the ban covers the Xbox LIVE account and could possibly include their console depending on the results of our investigations (which are ongoing). We do this from time to time with titles to combat piracy," he wrote to Kotaku. "If a user happens to purchase a legit copy of Halo 3: ODST early, then our problem is not with the user but the retailer who broke the street date. Those individuals will not be punished."

It's not clear when or why MS changed this policy.
It's because of all the people in this thread defending MS is in the right, MS doesn't care and It's going to come back and bite them in the next generation.

I still think it's unacceptable for the ban and the OP should call MS to get it resolved.

I haven't kept up with this thread, did the OP end up showing them the receipt? If not, the policy could be in effect and they just assumed without the receipt that it was piracy.
I don't think it's acceptable for them to ban him with or without a reciept as long as it's an copy that's not pirated which we know it's not from the pictures.

It's a terrible policy that they need to be called out for.

robotnjik

They have no idea whether he had a receipt, because they didn't ask. They just banned him.
Even when you want to show them receipt, you get message like this:
Subject: Account banned for pre-release game play
Posted to: 15 - My LIVE account was suspended
Reason: Apologies, but this forum is solely for the purpose of learning the reasoning behind individual Xbox LIVE account suspensions, not to debate their duration or validity. The suspension will stand as issued. There is no further recourse.
Even, EVEN if is ok for them to ban gamertag, fine, let it be, my mistake for playing earlier, BUT banning console that not even had game inside is nonsense and there is no way to talk with them cause only forums are available for complain. No phone, no email, no chat.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
They have no idea whether he had a receipt, because they didn't ask. They just banned him.

This has been said 100x. They have to ban first ask questions later to protect their intellectual property and stop any leaks of sensitive content and network info. Anyone who is not press that signed nondisclosure agreements should not be on the network 2 weeks before release. This is strictly a business decision.

Why can't people grasp this simple concept?
=/

And to reiterate, it's ok for them to do anything to your account/console for any reason the second you agree to their TOS.

What's hilarious to me is this. If you're going to ban people for playing a game early on Xbox Live, how about you just don't let them play the game on Xbox Live until the release date.

What they've done here is kinda like a bar letting a kid walk in, order a drink, and then you slap the cuffs on them when they take their first sip.

Instead you could just keep him from walking into the bar in the first place. You log into Xbox Live with Halo 4 early, and you get a message saying "this game cannot be played until this date". Problem solved and no one gets hurt.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
What's hilarious to me is this. If you're going to ban people for playing a game early on Xbox Live, how about you just don't let them play the game on Xbox Live until the release date.

What they've done here is kinda like a bar letting a kid walk in, order a drink, and then you slap the cuffs on them when they take their first sip.

Instead you could just keep him from walking into the bar in the first place. You log into Xbox Live with Halo 4 early, and you get a message saying "this game cannot be played until this date". Problem solved and no one gets hurt.

The networks are up for the press to be able to review it. It's reasonable for MS to think a regular customer won't have the game in hand two business weeks before release. The big no no the op comitted was going online with the game.

Vorg

Banned

This.

SmokyDave

MS get hurt. That's a missed console sale right there.

The networks are up for the press to be able to review it. It's reasonable for MS to think a regular customer won't have the game in hand two business weeks before release. The big no no the op comitted was going online with the game.

Then the message says "You are not authorized to play this game on Xbox Live until this date".

Again, banning people with no proof they are pirates is bullshit. Assuming everyone is a pirate because they played the game early is bullshit. It's not fair to assume everyone is going to see this thread and know from here on out you can't play a game early on Xbox Live. I once stumbled upon Killzone 2 for sale a whole week before it's street date. Was it my job to give 2 fucks that I got it early? NO!

Street dates are an agreement between the publisher and the retailer. The costumer is under no obligation to care about them or concern themselves with them. Microsoft's behavior here is ridiculous, absurd, and fucking obnoxious. They deserve no defense for it.

MS get hurt. That's a missed console sale right there.

Don't worry, MicroSoft, OP already bought the console that SmokyDave won't buy.

That's the real problem. They know that their users are captive of the system. No matter how bad the service is, they still need to buy another console if they want to play their games or with their friends.

I'm an expert

Then the message says "You are not authorized to play this game on Xbox Live until this date".

Again, banning people with no proof they are pirates is bullshit. Assuming everyone is a pirate because they played the game early is bullshit. It's not fair to assume everyone is going to see this thread and know from here on out you can't play a game early on Xbox Live. I once stumbled upon Killzone 2 for sale a whole week before it's street date. Was it my job to give 2 fucks that I got it early? NO!

Street dates are an agreement between the publisher and the retailer. The costumer is under no obligation to care about them or concern themselves with them.

You can cry about how unfair it is all you want. I'll say what I said earlier in the thread - then don't support MS consoles, games, and their Live service.

As you can see by the op's actions of buying a new system, he's in full support of these policies.

OP can never show a receipt for the game because then that would show what store he "bought" it from early. This would get the store in trouble with MS and the OP always said he would protect the store over himself.

That is why he bought a new 360 and never contacted MS outside of this thread. He cannot and according to him... will not reveal the store so according to MS this could be a stolen copy due to how far out from street date it was.

And yes, the online should be blocked and not banned but fault lays with the OP and he knows that which is why he fell on the sword to protect the store that "sold" it to him.

Pezking

That shouldn't matter at all in the first place.

Nobody should be banned based just on an assumption.

As soon as a game has started shipping to retailers, it's not exactly unthinkable that some will break the street date.

I'm an expert

That shouldn't matter at all in the first place.

Nobody should be banned based just on an assumption.

As soon as a game has started shipping to retailers, it's not exactly unthinkable that some will break the street date.

Read my post above, #1557. Do you understand it?

Interfectum

The OP shouldn't have bought a new Xbox. What a horrible message to send to MS.

Customer: "Wow you guys fucked me over."

MS: "Yup we did."

Customer: "Here's more money."

MS: "Thx."

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
very douchey that frankie hasnt come on this thread but has been posting and ignoring his pms.

should be banned like dyack is

jcm

This has been said 100x. They have to ban first ask questions later to protect their intellectual property and stop any leaks of sensitive content and network info. Anyone who is not press that signed nondisclosure agreements should not be on the network 2 weeks before release. This is strictly a business decision.

Why can't people grasp this simple concept?
=/

And to reiterate, it's ok for them to do anything to your account/console for any reason the second you agree to their TOS.
I can't grasp that concept because its sad, corporate apologist bullshit. If MS is too dumb to figure out how to prevent access to their servers from unauthorized machines then that's their problem.

And yes, I agree their TOS lets them do it. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be called out for it, and if doesn't mean it's a good business decision either.

I'm an expert

very douchey that frankie hasnt come on this thread but has been posting and ignoring his pms.

should be banned like dyack is

Lol, funny cause some posters last page were deifying his magical Live skills. I guess his fairy wand doesn't reach to customer billing and support. How shocking.

Congrats on the extra console and software sales Microsoft. Horrible customer service, I'm not surprised at the defending before and and now either, Microsoft has always had a few cooperate lickspittles here.

Vorg

Banned
The OP shouldn't have bought a new Xbox. What a horrible message to send to MS.

Customer: "Wow you guys fucked me over."

MS: "Yup we did."

Customer: "Here's more money."

MS: "Thx."

I don't get this. Realistically, what were his options here? What would he do with his game collection?

Zoe

I don't get this. Realistically, what were his options here? What would he do with his game collection?

He could have tried actually talking to Microsoft support rather than depending on a user on a non-MS forum.

I'm an expert

I can't grasp that concept because its sad, corporate apologist bullshit. If MS is too dumb to figure out how to prevent access to their servers from unauthorized machines then that's their problem.

And yes, I agree their TOS lets them do it. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be called out for it, and if doesn't mean it's a good business decision either.

I agree with you, it sucks and they should be better about it. No one is a corporate apologist here lol.. I've never owned an xbox lol. But someone has to explain the reality to people here who think MS is just doing this for funsies. So just to be clear you, you plan to not buy any MS games and not pay for Live, right?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

This gif seems relevant. Just insert MS.
0155_ba72i.gif

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, funny cause some posters last page were deifying his magical Live skills. I guess his fairy wand doesn't reach to customer billing and support. How shocking.

thee fact he said it would be sorted earlier in the thread ? the fact he answered pms from the guy at first, but now hes been waiting over a week since and still banned, frankie isnt posting in this thread now has been ignoring his pms but is posting elsewhere on gaf. yeah the guy is just outright being a total dick

Hanmik

Some people here are talking about Online Halo 4 and how that got people banned.. but offline players were also banned. As soon as you have played the game the game is in your timeline, and then MS can see when people have played it. And then they ban you..

Pezking

Read my post above, #1557. Do you understand it?

Yes. Or at least I hope so, I'm not a native english speaker.

I have no problem whatsoever with the bannings that took place when the leaked version first appeared. That was nearly a month before the launch, when it was impossible for anyone to get their hands on a retail copy of the game.

But 7-10 days before the street date, the game has already started being shipped to retailers, and of course some broke the street date. At that moment, their "ban first, ask questions later" police should have stopped.

They're probably within their rights thanks to their TOS, but I strongly believe that this is a bad business practice. No company should treat their paying customers like that.

FStop7

Banned
OP can never show a receipt for the game because then that would show what store he "bought" it from early. This would get the store in trouble with MS and the OP always said he would protect the store over himself.

That is why he bought a new 360 and never contacted MS outside of this thread. He cannot and according to him... will not reveal the store so according to MS this could be a stolen copy due to how far out from street date it was.

And yes, the online should be blocked and not banned but fault lays with the OP and he knows that which is why he fell on the sword to protect the store that "sold" it to him.

Oh for fuck's sake

Trey

Given the reported tepid adventure of contacting MS "proper", combined with an intimate relationship with the store that sold him an early copy, I probably would have done the same thing as skel1ingt0n.

Krakatoa

Wow, I can't believe you are still banned. I was under the impression it was taken care of weeks ago, but after reading the edits on the OP. I see still up in the air.

Anyway I hope they unban your account soon.

That really sucks you're still banned, can't believe they haven't fixed it. They got your $60, they couldn't care less about you now it seems

In honor of you, I will buy a used copy of halo 4 as I'm still in the market for it

MrDaravon

From Microsoft's perspective they have no reason to unban him; he can offer no proof that he obtained it legitimately, and he has stated that he will not divulge where he got it to protect the store. So from Microsoft's perspective he either stole it (which to be clear I don't think anyone here actually thinks he did), or if not he is willingly protecting the store that broke their agreement/contract with Microsoft which would make the store subject to fines, possible legal action, etc. From their perspective this isn't an innocuous issue of someone happening to get the game early at Walmart or something like that, because of the fact he is protecting the store because he knows they should not have sold it to him and they will get in trouble, and the retailer could face possible legal ramifications.

It's a shitty situation, but since he knew going in he shouldn't have been able to get the copy he should have stayed offline :/. Frankie is a good guy who has helped people out on GAF in the past, I think what may have happened here was he assumed it wouldn't be an issue getting unbanned and overstepped his bounds in saying he would get it taken care of, and then the people who would actually make that decision said "lol no." And regardless of where you fall on this one, the OP going back out and buying another 360 and products completely vindicates Microsoft's position on this, and was about the worst thing to do in this situation.

Top Bottom