• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got my console (and I assume my account) banned from Live for playing Halo 4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
He do not have any receipt. Pretty sure there is no way for him to prove he actually purchased the game.

Even if his copy of halo was stolen/pirated, they should not be able to prevent access to his digital purchases and stop his console going online. I'm surprised nobody has gone to court over things like this, surely it's only a matter of time?

What if he had spent hundreds of dollars on XBLA and games on demand content? That plus the implied value of not being able to go online with his console (approx 50% of most games?) and losing his friends etc.

As it is, 'illegitimate' is in the eyes of MS only, based on date of sale. NO even that is on dodgy ground IMO.

onken

update: That's a no, it seems. The copy as you may be aware was illegitimate. This is grounds to ban everything that has your name attached to it, even if it's not your fault. http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/41.aspx - This is your one and only form or recourse (lol)

What do you mean "illegitimate", it's counterfeit or something? Because under absolutely no definition does buying something before release date make a product illegitimate.

lexi

Banned
What do you mean "illegitimate", it's counterfeit or something? Because under absolutely no definition does buying something before release date make a product illegitimate.

From what I'm told, illegitimate indicates that yes, it's allegedly a pirated ISO kinda thing.

Yagharek

It's hard to see this policy as anything other than theft by microsoft. The capricious and irreversible nature of the bans would make me paranoid if I hadn't already quit their digital marketplace.

Pooya

Some of you guys are new to digital stores I take it? you get your account get banned everywhere if you violate TOS, meaning you can't access your games. It's normal practice for better or worse. Steam, PSN, Origin, all work like that too!

Yagharek

Don't be dense - multiplayer is a huge component of such games. He's locked out of half the content (proportionate even down to the disc allocation).

Dont forget all his other download games which are held hostage to street dates for an unrelated game

Rubius

Even if his copy of halo was stolen/pirated, they should not be able to prevent access to his digital purchases and stop his console going online. I'm surprised nobody has gone to court over things like this, surely it's only a matter of time?

What if he had spent hundreds of dollars on XBLA and games on demand content? That plus the implied value of not being able to go online with his console (approx 50% of most games?) and losing his friends etc.

As it is, 'illegitimate' is in the eyes of MS only, based on date of sale. NO even that is on dodgy ground IMO.

Steam does the exact same thing. If you are found using a stolen credit card, your account is suspended until investigation and may be banned.
Pretty sure Sony and the rest does the same too. Else the stolen credit card/codes market would be too big.
He bought what may well be a stolen good. He bought it from a retailler, yes, but he bought it before the date, without receipt and cash. The reseller in this case should be fined for breach of contract. Its like if somebody let a minor into a bar or let a kid buy cigarette.

Think of it like this, lets say you have a friend who work in a theater, and he allow you to make a copy of a highly popular title to watch the movie at home because you are sick or what ever. The piracy risk would be too high. There is release dates and contracts and terms of service for all those things for a reason. I'm pretty sure Microsoft would let him go and unban him if he went and said where he bought the game before release date, so that Microsoft can ban them instead.

From what I'm told, illegitimate indicates that yes, it's allegedly a pirated ISO kinda thing.

Sorry, but I don't believe your friend. I think he is lying. OP did provide pictures of his game disk, and it seems ok. Without proof I have no reason to believe he somehow did aquire a near perfect pirated iso of Halo 4 before release. So can a Microsoft employe please explain to me, how they did detect he supposedly has a pirated iso - in technical terms please? And don't tell me that's confidential, that's bullshit. A security concept is worthless if it is based on obfuscation. It's now over a month after this was reported, and this is the only response we got from Microsoft, that's pathetic. Banning people for playing a game before the official street date is just absurd. And it's almost funny how a thread like this gets 40 pages in a popular gaming forum without a clear statement from Microsoft, nice PR.

Rubius

Gemüsepizza;45234205 said:
Sorry, but I don't believe your friend. I think he is lying. OP did provide pictures of his game disk, and it seems ok. Without proof I have no reason to believe he somehow did aquire a near perfect pirated iso of Halo 4 before release. So can a Microsoft employe please explain to me, how they did detect he supposedly has a pirated iso - in technical terms please? And don't tell me that's confidential, that's bullshit. A security concept is worthless if it is based on obfuscation. It's now over a month after this was reported, and this is the only response we got from Microsoft, that's pathetic. Banning people for playing a game before the official street date is just absurd. And it's almost funny how a thread like this gets 40 pages in a popular gaming forum without a clear statement from Microsoft, nice PR.

They have the right of banning who they want, when they want, why they want. They dont have to explain anything, its in the terms of service nobody read. Hell the guy even went out, bought a new 360 and created a new Live account. They made money out of this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They have the right of banning who they want, when they want, why they want. They dont have to explain anything, its in the terms of service nobody read. Hell the guy even went out, bought a new 360 and created a new Live account. They made money out of this.

The big question is whether those terms of service are enforceable. I'd love to see that tried in court.

Rubius

The big question is whether those terms of service are enforceable. I'd love to see that tried in court.

He signed the contract. Its like if you went to a club, started to make trouble and got kicked out. You get in, you play by the rules or we kick you out. Its liked that since paid clubs existed. After you get kicked out, you have the choice of apologize and going back in after paying an another entry fee, or you dont go to that club again making them lose a customer.
OP decided that he liked the club too much, so he went back in and I dont think he try to "make trouble" again.

TaroYamada

He signed the contract. Its like if you went to a club, started to make trouble and got kicked out. You get in, you play by the rules or we kick you out. Its liked that since paid clubs existed. After you get kicked out, you have the choice of apologize and going back in after paying an another entry fee, or you dont go to that club again making them lose a customer.
OP decided that he liked the club too much, so he went back in and I dont think he try to "make trouble" again.

The TOS doesn't override law and can be overruled, I'm shocked there are people on Gaf who still don't know this.

Yagharek

Analogies aside, how is it fair or justified for someone to lose all their digital purchases for buying a game before an arbitrary marketing date?

lexi

Banned

'Making trouble' appears to be fairly fucking innocuous.

Rubius

The TOS doesn't override law and can be overruled, I'm shocked there are people on Gaf who still don't know this.

I know it can be overruled. But I doubt that this guy will go against Microsoft. He lost digital items and a meaningless Gamertag, and from what I remember, the court already ruled that the ownership of Digital items are not the buyer property, since you only buy the right to play the game, and not the actual code on the disk like with movies and books.
So he would have to go to court to get his gamertag back, and his console unbanned, which is the result of him buying a game from a reseller who breached his contract to the company to not sell the game before X date.

I dont think he have a chance on this. But hey I'm not a Lawyer, so if any lawyer here can show me if he have a case on this...

'Making trouble' appears to be fairly fucking innocuous.
A club can kick you out because they dont like your face, attitude, height, weight, age, color of cloth, tattoos, hair. Anything.
Its not a right, but a privilege. They can remove that privilege at all time.

Absolutely enforceable. A contract was formed when he accepted the terms of service. Basically, the only possible defense would be that the terms of the contract were unconscionable. In the past 10-15 years the only terms of service to reliably be held unconscionable have been arbitration clauses. California in particular had a line of cases developed around the idea that corporations were using arbitration clauses to prevent consumers from bringing class action suits, which went against a California anti-exculpatory clause statute. Unfortunately that line of cases was explicitly overturned by the ATT v. Concepcion case two years ago in the Supreme Court. That destroyed the chance of a unconscionability claim succeeding.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I

A club can kick you out because they dont like your face, attitude, height, weight, age, color of cloth, tattoos, hair. Anything.
Its not a right, but a privilege. They can remove that privilege at all time.

You get to keep the drinks you drank though.

I wouldn't mind so much if they simply banned you from the service. But don't you also lose access to any digital content you purchased? That seems massively disproportionate to any perceived breach of contract.

Rubius

You get to keep the drinks you drank though.

I wouldn't mind so much if they simply banned you from the service. But don't you also lose access to any digital content you purchased? That seems massively disproportionate to any perceived breach of contract.

You keep the drink you drank, yes. But not the one you didnt finished. So you keep the experience of the drink, but you cannot keep experiencing it outside of the bar.

Yagharek

Bad analogies are distracting from the point at hand though: they took away his access to games HE PAID FOR because he got halo early.

That's not even remotely relatable to being kicked out of a bar for being drunk and obnoxious.

Rubius

Bad analogies are distracting from the point at hand though: they took away his access to games HE PAID FOR because he got halo early.

That's not even remotely relatable to being kicked out of a bar for being drunk and obnoxious.

You didnt pay for the games, you paid for the right to play them. That right may be removed at any time. So yeah, dont want to take chances? Buy physical only.

From what I know of copyright laws, you could buy a movie on DVD, and have the company come to your house and say "We revoke your right to this movie, give it back." Never happened, but pretty sure its in the copyright laws.

Cheerilee

Gemüsepizza;45234205 said:

Microsoft is leaky. Beta versions leak all the time, and they give full retail copies of games (which can be copied) to games journalists many days before the launch date.

They set up the online system before launch so that the games journalists can try the online modes, and they made a whitelist of all the game journo's IP's. If someone else appears online before launch and isn't on the whitelist, they automatically accuse them of taking advantage of the leaks and being pirates, even if there's no evidence and a reasonable excuse for it.

If the accused person produces a receipt that shows which store sold them the game a day early, well then that's solid proof that they're not a pirate, which gets the accused off the hook (if MS is feeling generous), and then MS has ammo to go after the store that broke a release date.

This won't happen because the OP refuses to narc on his local mom-and-pop store, and even if was willing to turn against them, his store was smart enough to delay the paper trail and ring the sale out the next day.

The OP obviously has a legit copy of the game, and he has a believable account of what happened (he bought it a day early from a store that values his patronage), and it was an extremely minor infraction, but no ammo to use against the store = MS won't let him off the hook and they'll stick to their baseless accusations of piracy/theft, and they'll pretty much just kick him off of their system because their EULA says they can do whatever they want.

snap0212

Shouldn't he have a receipt now? The Halo 4 release date passed and all.
Do you really have to have a receipt in the US to prove your purchase? Over here, a buddy saying "Yupp, he bought it" is just as much proof. So Microsoft would have to prove that he didn't buy it, not the other way around.

Had the same trouble with Microsoft when the codes from an arcade game pack didn't work. They asked me for proof of purchase and I said I didn't need any. They were kind of pissed but it's the law so they couldn't do anything.

Yagharek

They'd have to get in the house first.

Wishy washy license excuses aside, they haven't even shown a justification for revoking his access to those games. Last time I checked playing a game early wasn't a crime or even a TOS violation.

Rubius

Do you really have to have a receipt in the US to prove your purchase? Over here, a buddy saying "Yupp, he bought it" is just as much proof. So Microsoft would have to prove that he didn't buy it, not the other way around.

Had the same trouble with Microsoft when the codes from an arcade game pack didn't work. They asked me for proof of purchase and I said I didn't need any. They were kind of pissed but it's the law so they couldn't do anything.

In the US you have to show the receipt or the data on your bank to show that you bought something of equal or superior value to this shop. So if you paid cash without a receipt, you are fucked.

I'm a big Judge Judy fan :p

If the terms of service just say something like

"If we determine you have violated these terms of service then we can revoke your console's access to the Xbox Live service"

then Microsoft is fine. He has a duty to read the terms of service and he agrees to the terms of service when he clicks OK.

Yagharek

If the terms of service just say something like

"If we determine you have violated these terms of service then we can revoke your console's access to the Xbox Live service"

then Microsoft is fine. He has a duty to read the terms of service and he agrees to the terms of service when he clicks OK.

For playing a game early? Hardly a reasonable excuse to steal his account.

snap0212

In the US you have to show the receipt or the data on your bank to show that you bought something of equal or superior value to this shop. So if you paid cash without a receipt, you are fucked.

I'm a big Judge Judy fan :p
That's shitty. I never get a receipt and I always pay in cash. Step up your customer protection laws, US! :)

Rubius

They'd have to get in the house first.

Wishy washy license excuses aside, they haven't even shown a justification for revoking his access to those games. Last time I checked playing a game early wasn't a crime or even a TOS violation.

Well its pretty simple mentality in fact, Every reseller have a contract where they need to not sell this game before X date. Reviewers and special account apart, any other game who try to be played, will be automaticly banned for piracy. Why? Well if everybody respected the contract, any copy outside is a pirated one, plain and simple.

If the reseller explain themself, he might have a chance, by example, I got my Vita 2 weeks early because Amazon.ca shipped them before the release date. The guys at EB Games freaked out, asked me where I got it, and told me to not play it because I could get banned. Amazon.ca apologized and I had no problem with that.
Here its not an error, its a reseller who wanted to sell an item NOW instead of waiting for the date. Dont know if its a big reseller like Gamestop or Walmart, but I doubt it, since they usually dont want the licence revoked and know they can wait.

MMaRsu

Banned
Analogies aside, how is it fair or justified for someone to lose all their digital purchases for buying a game before an arbitrary marketing date?

Ofcourse it's not fair, it's goddamn ridiculous. I won't be buying a new Xbox console because I get my games before release date most of the time in stores and dont want my shit banned so I'll stick with Sony.

Honestly this is a disgusting situation. And Stinkles sucks for saying he would get unbanned but he is still banned.

OP is stupid for buying another console ><.

Rubius

For playing a game early? Hardly a reasonable excuse to steal his account.

The account was never his. They simply allowed him to use it. Its like letting a friend crash at your house. If he start to look at your girlfriend funny, and you kick him out, he cant start to say "Hey you cant kick me out, I lived here!". My house, my rules.

Like with Nintendo and the Miiverse. You cant say any swear word, or link, or email anything in your profile or any message. They can censor you like they want.

Sony changed so many stuff in the term of service that they went from "You can buy a PSN game from this PS3 and put it in your Vita" to "This is not the same account, so nope, cannot do that dave" and yet, you can still say "Nope, dont want to agree to that, that's stupid"
Okay. Well you cant play any online game, buy games, or get games update until you do that. Good luck buying a new game, they all require an update.

Hell, even Minecraft had to change the TOS early on, because he made the error to say "every future version of Minecraft will be free to Alpha players" then the lawyers came and screamed at Notch for saying that. He was lucky that the game was not released yet.

lexi

Banned
The account was never his. They simply allowed him to use it. Its like letting a friend crash at your house. If he start to look at your girlfriend funny, and you kick him out, he cant start to say "Hey you cant kick me out, I lived here!". My house, my rules.

Like with Nintendo and the Miiverse. You cant say any swear word, or link, or email anything in your profile or any message. They can censor you like they want.

Sony changed so many stuff in the term of service that they went from "You can buy a PSN game from this PS3 and put it in your Vita" to "This is not the same account, so nope, cannot do that dave" and yet, you can still say "Nope, dont want to agree to that, that's stupid"
Okay. Well you cant play any online game, buy games, or get games update until you do that. Good luck buying a new game, they all require an update.

Hell, even Minecraft had to change the TOS early on, because he made the error to say "every future version of Minecraft will be free to Alpha players" then the lawyers came and screamed at Notch for saying that. He was lucky that the game was not released yet.

I wonder how you would feel if you were involved and had done nothing wrong. 'Oh well, they didn't like my face, it's their club, Bye-bye $2000 worth of stuff!'

Rubius

Jesus christ why are you people defending this are you daft?

We are having a discussion. I'm on OP side. I would like him to get back his Gamertag and his console unbanned.

But from a legal stand point, Microsoft have the every right to do what they did. Its bad PR, sure, but they have the right. We can uprise all we want, until people start to boycott and Microsoft see that situation as "unprofitable" they will do nothing. The best we can do is keep talking and discussing, and maybe Microsoft will find this Thread to be a little bit to embarrassing and want to fix the situation, to make the PR go up.

Yagharek

Well its pretty simple mentality in fact, Every reseller have a contract where they need to not sell this game before X date. Reviewers and special account apart, any other game who try to be played, will be automaticly banned for piracy. Why? Well if everybody respected the contract, any copy outside is a pirated one, plain and simple.

If the reseller explain themself, he might have a chance, by example, I got my Vita 2 weeks early because Amazon.ca shipped them before the release date. The guys at EB Games freaked out, asked me where I got it, and told me to not play it because I could get banned. Amazon.ca apologized and I had no problem with that.
Here its not an error, its a reseller who wanted to sell an item NOW instead of waiting for the date. Dont know if its a big reseller like Gamestop or Walmart, but I doubt it, since they usually dont want the licence revoked and know they can wait.

You got your vita early. How would you react, hypothetically if someone told Sony, who then bricked it remotely? Today, say.

What recourse would you seek? Or would you accept that the eula says that's fine and move on?

Rubius

I wonder how you would feel if you were involved and had done nothing wrong. 'Oh well, they didn't like my face, it's their club, Bye-bye $2000 worth of stuff!'

I have a Steam account with about 2000$ worth of stuff. So yeah, could happen. That's why I try to be physical.
And nothing wrong? OP obviously knew the release date of Halo 4, and went to the reseller and bought the game in advance. He knew he was in fault.

This remind me of Parking Wars, a US show about people giving tickets to people, and people being angry at the people who give tickets, and tow the car away.

Here a example of the show, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvGIne1PPx0

As a person who worked as a security guard I find those show hilarious. Guilty people are never guilty, they are "victims"

Rubius

You got your vita early. How would you react, hypothetically if someone told Sony, who then bricked it remotely? Today, say.

What recourse would you seek? Or would you accept that the eula says that's fine and move on?

Oh, I would be pissed, but I have a recourse, because Amazon.ca shipped it to me. I didnt go to the store and buy it. Amazon.ca made a mistake and they apologized for it. So yeah, I could go to Sony customer service and discuss with them about the situation, and if it didnt work, I would ask Amazon.ca a refund, since I have a receipt, because they sent me an item before they had the right to sell it to me.

BibiMaghoo

People are confusing issues.

Yes , MS have the right to do this, its there servers and software. That is not an issue.

The issue is that it is morally fucking outrageous, to punish a paying customer for playing a game they paid for early.

Regardless that MS can do it, that does not mean they have a legitimate, moral, or business reason to do so. He has proven the copy is not a pirate one. The burden is now on MS, fuck the fact he had no receipt at the time. It matters not.

Rubius

Amazon cant refund your psn games though.

Oh, I would ask for damage too. I could sue them for this and I would win. I have a receipt, newspapers articles, apologize letters from Amazon.ca. OP do not. OP went to a store, paid cash and without receipt for a game he knew was sold before release date.

I preordered my Vita and got it shipped by mistake. Totally different situation. If Amazon.ca sent me a email saying "We are sorry, but you will not be able to use your Vita until X date. This is our mistake blablabla" then I might be in trouble if I open it and use it. They have a contract with Sony, I dont.

Let's look at the actual terms agreed upon instead of everyone just guessing.

This is the part where Microsoft warns you what can happen if you break the rules:

Code of Conduct said:
C. Consequences of Violations.

If you violate the Code of Conduct or the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use, action may be taken against your account, including without limitation the following.
•Some offenses warrant an immediate permanent suspension, including without limitation: hacking, modding, fraud, severe racial remarks, nudity on the Xbox LIVE Vision camera or Kinect camera, repeated creation of inappropriate gamertags or profile content, or posting viruses or URLs to viruses

Note that it states that the list of bannable offenses is incomplete.

Let's look at some of the rules.

Xbox Live TOS said:
You can't use unauthorized software or hardware to access the Services, nor can you modify an Authorized Device in any unauthorized way (e.g., through unauthorized repairs, unauthorized upgrades, or unauthorized downloads). You agree that we have the right to send data, applications or other content to any software or hardware that you are using to access the Services for the purpose of detecting an unauthorized modification and/or disabling the modified device.

So Microsoft doesn't specify what constitutes "unauthorized" software. But Microsoft is the one doing the authorizing, so it seems like they get to choose what software is ok to use on their service. And maybe they decided that only copies of Halo 4 sent to specific members of the press were authorized prior to the release date. But the important part is that it's Microsoft doing the authorizing, so it's Microsoft that chooses.

Ooh, this section seems even more important:
Fodder for people that hate digital distribution said:
2.5. What limitations apply to my access and use of Microsoft and third-party content? We may disable access to Microsoft and third-party content associated with your account for any reason. We may also remove or disable copies of applications on your Authorized Device in order to protect the Services, application providers, network operators or any other affected or potentially affected parties. Some content and applications available on the Services may be unavailable from time to time or may only be offered for a limited time due to contractual or other limitations, such as the Territory of your Account. As such, you may not be able to re-download content or applications or re-stream certain content that you have purchased; for example, if you change your account to another Territory you may need to re-purchase content or applications that were available to you and paid for in your previous Territory. Except to the extent required by applicable law, we have no obligation to provide a re-download or replacement of any content or application previously purchased. If we receive information from the content owners indicating the dates their content will be unavailable, we will try to share this information with you

Yagharek

People are confusing issues.

Yes , MS have the right to do this, its there servers and software. That is not an issue.

The issue is that it is morally fucking outrageous, to punish a paying customer for playing a game they paid for early.

Regardless that MS can do it, that does not mean they have a legitimate, moral, or business reason to do so. He has proven the copy is not a pirate one. The burden is now on MS, fuck the fact he had no receipt at the time. It matters not.

I would love to see thebryan's thoughts on this excellent post. Banning and stealing his games is a completely disproportionate and unjustified response irrespective of weasel words and vagaries in the eula. Microsoft are treating him as guilty first, with no recourse available to appeal. This violates all principles of natural justice and is completely despicable behavior.

Microsoft and stinkles should be ashamed of themselves. So should the OP for rolling over so easily.

I would love to see thebryan's thoughts on this excellent post. Banning and stealing his games is a completely disproportionate and unjustified response irrespective of weasel words and vagaries in the eula. Microsoft are treating him as guilty first, with no recourse available to appeal. This violates all principles of natural justice and is completely despicable behavior.

Microsoft and stinkles should be ashamed of themselves. So should the OP for rolling over so easily.

I haven't addressed the morality or reasonableness of what Microsoft did whatsoever. That seems a little pointless to me. Every person has a different idea of what they consider reasonable, and every person has a different idea of what kind of actions they are ok with Microsoft taking. Instead, I just thought I would provide some actual analysis of what we are all agreeing to when we sign up for Xbox Live, so that everyone can make their own decision about whether or not they are OK with the Terms of Service (especially since most people never read the TOS).

By the way, I didn't even get to the significance of the arbitration clause. That may have to wait for another day, I'm pretty tired.

The fact that he made himself a fat target but playing the game early and can't show a receipt to prove that he didn't steal the game, sucks for him but I don't blame M$. They are a huge company who is going to protect their products.

If this was his only offense on Live they should reinstate him. The pain in the ass he has already dealt with is more that enough considering the alledged crime.

Top Bottom