• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just pulled the trigger on a 1440p 144hz monitor. Do I need to upgrade my rig?

I got a 1440p 144hz monitor for $400, and plan to have a dual monitor setup in conjunction with my 1080p Dell Ultrasharp.

I currently have a i5 6600k and GTX 1070. I feel like my GTX 1070 can use a bit of an overclock, same with my i5 6600k.

That being said, will I need to upgrade my GPU or CPU to take advantage of the new monitor? I've been thinking of getting an i7 7700k as that's the highest I can go without a new mobo (I have a Z170)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this has GSYNC and can be toggled to run at 165 hz

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Maybe? Depends what you're playing.

inner-G

Banned
I had the same setup and upgraded to a 1080 (this was pre-Ti)

6600k is fine but a 1070 won't push 120+ FPS in many newer games on 1440 maxed. I get more like ~90fps on a 1080 in most games but with g-sync, that feels like butter to me

Courage

Nope, you don't need to upgrade. What FPS are you aiming for in new games? You should be able to get 60-80 FPS on a mix of high/highest settings, while reaching 100s in most other games. I don't even think you really need to OC either since your CPU shouldn't bottleneck anything. Just don't expect to max every game out on every single setting you can toggle and you'll be fine.

RedRumy3

Only thing you would need to get better frames at 1440p and high settings would be better gpu. CPU is more than enough that's for sure. I would just wait it out for nvidia next card though. Certain games you will hit 144fps easy like csgo, pubg, overwatch etc but depends on what you play.

No you're fine. The 1070 is a perfect 1440p card. I had the 980ti which was slightly weaker than the 1070 and ran everything @1440p 144hz perfectly. No need for an upgrade yet.

If you are planning on hitting 144fps with max settings. But I don't think you can reliably go with max settings in the newest AAA games and hit 144fps at 1440p on every game in any GPU that's out there.

You may decide to play at 120fps, 90fps depending on the game, or lower some settings. Then upgrade to a 1180 or 1180ti next year.

shanafan

My GTX 1070 and Dell GSYNC work awesome together. I wouldn't recommend upgrading.

I was able to play the Destiny 2 beta in 1440p at around 100-115 FPS.

.... and even 4K on my second monitor that is native 4K. 1070 is a nice video card.

Nope, you don't need to upgrade. What FPS are you aiming for in new games? You should be able to get 60-80 FPS on a mix of high/highest settings, while reaching 100s in most other games. I don't even think you really need to OC either since your CPU shouldn't bottleneck anything. Just don't expect to max every game out on every single setting you can toggle and you'll be fine.

That's fine. My goal is to run old games at high framerates/max settings. As for newer games, If I can run them at 1440p at 60-80 fps, then Gsync will take care of that fluctuation.

My main concern is:

1) Playing the Destiny 2 Beta, it seems like other GTX 1070 owners are getting slightly faster performance. Wondering if that has to do with my CPU being a bottleneck, or something else.

2) Will my CPU bottleneck me from reaching high framerates?

I just did the same upgrade OP except I have a 6700k and a 1080ti. I can't sustain 144 on new titles at ultra or very high.

There's some good cpu and gpu videos put out by gamers Nexus recently in regards to destiny 2.

My GTX 1070 and Dell GSYNC work awesome together. I wouldn't recommend upgrading.

I was able to play the Destiny 2 beta in 1440p at around 100-115 FPS.

.... and even 4K on my second monitor that is native 4K. 1070 is a nice video card.

What settings for the Destiny 2 beta? I feel like my GTX 1070 is underperforming. Maybe it's on Silent Mode (it's an MSI...)

1440 user here on a 1070 and an i7 6700.
I think you're good OP.
I formerly had an i56500 and the CPU upgrade was unnecessary for me but I had the $ to spend so meh.

Top Bottom