• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Lin to direct Lebron in Space Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible idea to revive.

Cartoons talking to humans always looks ridiculous in a bad way.

tumblr_miuledAA1X1qb05aco1_250.gif

"In this intergalactic adventure that hits like an elbow from the top rope, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, John Cena, and the rest of the WWE Superstars join forces with Bugs, Daffy, Porky (and the Warner Brothers - and sister - The Animaniacs) to fight off the universe-threatening forces of CEO Swackhammer and members of the MRA: Monstars Rasslin' Association. With special cameo appearances from wrestling legends Ric Flair and Hacksaw Jim Duggan alongside Hollywood stars Will Smith and Simon Pegg and of course, the one and only Bill Murray, the legacy of Space Jam continues into the 21st Century in a body-slammin' new form!"

From the back of the box in the alternate universe in which this film was announced as SPACE SLAM, directed by Edgar Wright.

AGITΩ

Dunno how to feel about this. I've always wanted a Space Jam sequel, but thanks to how PC and over-sensitive people have gotten to everything, Including comedic views and expression, that the Looney Toons classic comedy would be even more filtered for what flew as acceptable in the 90s.

Nice. Have the Aliens steal talent from AD for a mon-starous unibrow, Harden for his beard, Chandler Parsons for his sexy, and Derrick Rose, for all of the injury jokes.

daveo42

Banned
I'm down for another Space Jam...and instead of making jokes at Jordan's baseball career, they can call out Lebron for him bouncing between NBA teams!

Can't wait for next year's breakout summer blockbuster, "'90s Kids Get a Free Blowie With Every Ticket," which isn't really a movie so much as it is a mid-level VP at Warners mouths your genitals for 90 straight minutes while you livetweet the experience.

The question is why you're turning that down. Sounds fine to me.

Question is: how long before we get a Hollywood film where cartoon characters interact with a professional athlete who plays soccer instead? The sport certainly is growing rapidly over there.

The question is why you're turning that down. Sounds fine to me.

Of course it does. You think Space Jam is a good movie. My threshold for "a good time" is not where yours is, obviously.

(I can't wait for someone to keep pulling on this thread in an attempt to begin a semi-serious debate on the rewards of hypothetical head from middle-aged men during a kid's movie)

Question is: how long before we get a Hollywood film where cartoon characters interact with a professional athlete who plays soccer instead? The sport certainly is growing rapidly over there.

I think Basketball is still as viable because it's pretty huge worldwide in it's own right, especially in developing countries. Hell WB would be smart to throw a Kobe cameo in this to get the chinese box office.

daveo42

Banned
Of course it does. You think Space Jam is a good movie. My threshold for "a good time" is not where yours is, obviously.

I was talking about the blowie, but yes. I did enjoy Space Jam as a kid. It was a fun movie for what it was worth, including all of the terrible acting done by then famous baskeball stars.

j-wood

How are they going to top the GOAT theme song of all time?

That's right, I'm talking about the Monstar's theme, Hit 'Em High. So much HYPE.

[Intro]
Greetings, earthlings
We have now taken over your radioooo.....

[B-Real]

Goin' straight through the hole
You ain't got no game
I'm breakin' ya out the frame
Coming through like a train
Looking to take over the world is my goal
With my unstoppable crew takin' all control
You can't get none of this, we're runnin' this
Well taker, earth shaker, 3 point gunnin' this
Get out the lane, i'm comin' through
And if you don't wanna move then i'm comin' right through you

[Coolio]

It's like inch by inch and step by step
I'm closing in on your position and destruction is my mission
Though eight is not enough, your whole squad better duck
It's like switch when I bust
Now you're whole crew is dust
Comin' through my area, i'ma have to bury ya
The real scream team on your scream scene
It's like showdown on the range
Go tell me who wanna tangle with the
ghetto witch-doctor neighborhood superhero?

[Chorus:]

[B-Real]
We want it all (want it all!)
Unstoppable, we run the floor (run the floor!)
You can't take none of this hardcore (hardcore!)
In the game we take you to war (war!)
You ain't seen nothin' like this before
all)
If I hit 'em high, hit 'em high, hit 'em high
And you hit 'em low, hit 'em low, hit 'em low
If I hit 'em high, hit 'em high, hit 'em high
And you hit 'em low, hit 'em low, hit 'em low

[Method Man]

Insane like a runaway train i'm in your lane
Like it's only 3 seconds to score to win the game
Came to bring the ultimate pain upon the brain
Untamed, you won't like it when I change
And you are type strange
Make room, manaical monster in the game
And I got my eye on you
Deadshot aim, as free throws keep comin' down like rain
You feelin' me, I'm feelin' you
The Monstar again, i'm tellin' you
Pass me the rock, now i'm headed to the basket
Get up out my way is what you better do
My tactics is unsportsmanlike conduct
You better ask it
Don't get no better than this, you catch my drift?
You get stripped by ballhandlers ruled by Swackhammer
Danger, you're dealin' with offical hoop-bangers
With hang time like a coat hanger
Jump, with thunderous 360-degree type dunks
What up doc? The Monstar funk

[LL Cool J]

Lightning strikes and the court lights get dim
Supreme competition is about to begin
Above the rim, finessin' and moves is animated
Once I get to ballin', I can't be deflated
I'm rugged raw, my Monstars is gettin' money
When clicks get to buggin', I'm snatchin' up their bunnies (Uhh!)
Every step I take shakes the ground
I'll make you break your ankles, son, shakes you down
This is my planet, I'm bout business
The best that ever done it, can I get a witness? (Uhhh!)
Cumulus clouds bring darkness up above
You in it for the money?
Or in it for the love, M.J.?
23 ways to make a pay
Loungin' in the mothership back around my way (Uhh!)
I'm 28 light years old
If the refs get political, dribble like Bob Dole
Am I gettin' lyrical?
Daddy, I think so
Monstar droppin' flavor fluid so drink slow

[Chorus]

[Busta Rhymes]

Yo, god bless!!
Pick up your chest
Here's an example of how I can stress your full court press
With finesse, I bench-press your stress whenever you test
We're speed ballin', on the fastbreak just like the pony express
I'm gonna mingle in your face and take the lid off
Just use your head and forfeit the game
You and your team just need to back off!!
Get off my block, gimmie the ball, I said it's my rock!!
I'm startin' a line-up by gettin' y'all to bring the livestock
Throw all your money in the pot
And make sure you bet all your money on my bank shot
When we come right through tell me what you really gonna do?
We'll leave your team name in shame and take your talent from you
While you abandon your ship, we take your championship
With nothing left for you to see except the instant replay clip
Money spending, goal tending, stay-bending teams like crash cars
Who do they be?
They be the Monstars!!!!!!

[Chorus]

Dishwalla

Banned
lol who is even making these without hanna-barbera being around anymore?
Hanna Barbera still exists, it's a property of Cartoon Network Studios and it's only real purpose is to issue releases based on the original H-B properties. Any new product is technically a Cartoon Network(or Warner Bros. Animation) production.

Trey

I could go for this. Take my little cousins to mask the fact I want to see this for myself. Hopefully it's highly frenetic and, well, looney. Animation has to be on point.

kess

Hey now.

tumblr_n9jug1B4Ld1t75crio1_500.gif

tumblr_mvmgdp5Q9H1rdqbfro1_500.gif

giphy.gif

Man, we're never gonna get a movie as insane as Roger Rabbit again. It's a miracle it even got made in the first place.

If they do make another one (and they'll probably will since everything is getting a remake) it'll probably star some shitty Nickelodeon cartoons or something. No way the bigger companies, especially Disney, are willing to borrow out their valuable IP's for something like that again.

Still, the original is amazing to this day. It's a crazy, insane, messy movie, but amazing. Space Jam always felt like it was trying to recapture that magic with just the Looney Tunes and they couldn't quite manage it. Loved it as a kid, but even then I recognized Roger Rabbit as the more special and better movie.

Ironically, Chuck Jones hated what Williams and Zemekis did, especially this scene in particular, because he felt that the main focus was taken off Daffy and Donald. Personally, I think Richard Williams did a great job.

Dishwalla

Banned
Ironically, Chuck Jones hated what Williams and Zemekis did, especially this scene in particular, because he felt that the main focus was taken off Daffy and Donald. Personally, I think Richard Williams did a great job.
He was just mad because his consultation efforts towards the project weren't used in the final film. I mean, Chuck Jones was taking the Looney Tunes characters in strange directions in the last couple decades of his life anyways.

Funny thing about Roger rabbit is that the author of the book it was based on actually thought the movie was better. He even wrote a sequel that ignored his original book and followed the plot/characterizations of the Disney movie more closely.

Funny thing about Roger rabbit is that the author of the book it was based on actually thought the movie was better. He even wrote a sequel that ignored his original book and followed the plot/characterizations of the Disney movie more closely.
Yeah he's a huge fan and has been campaigning for a sequel movie for decades now. His latest try was a buddy cop movie with Roger and Mickey Mouse.

Yeah he's a huge fan and has been campaigning for a sequel movie for decades now. His latest try was a buddy cop movie with Roger and Mickey Mouse.
He's probably not so much a fan of Disney anymore after this happened.

Gary K. Wolf, author of the novel Who Censored Roger Rabbit?, filed a lawsuit in 2001 against The Walt Disney Company. Wolf claimed he was owed royalties based on the value of "gross receipts" and merchandising sales. In 2002, the trial court in the case ruled that these only referred to actual cash receipts Disney collected and denied Wolf's claim. In its January 2004 ruling, the California Court of Appeal disagreed, finding that expert testimony introduced by Wolf regarding the customary use of "gross receipts" in the entertainment business could support a broader reading of the term. The ruling vacated the trial court's order in favor of Disney and remanded the case for further proceedings.[60] In a March 2005 hearing, Wolf estimated he was owed $7 million. Disney's attorneys not only disputed the claim but said Wolf actually owed Disney $500,000–$1 million because of an accounting error discovered in preparing for the lawsuit.[61] Wolf won the decision in 2005, receiving between $180,000 and $400,000 in damages.[62]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom