• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kadokawa Games announces Demon Gaze 2 for 2016

the issue is more about finding anyplace that would carry it. gamestop is the place with the widest selection of physical vita games at retail. will there be space on their shelves anywhere in 2017 for that platform? maybe, but it's not a gamble you'd like to make without some ulterior motive. it would probably only be available through online retailers, at which point you're probably barely clearing the minimum order quantity which means your return on investment is pretty low.

Digital would no doubt be a big part of it, to the point where they might not even do a non-LE physical release.

AniHawk

You post this in every Vita thread, yet NISA are apparently already releasing a Vita only Dungeon Crawler in 2016. So is IFI.

The people who owned a Vita in 2015 still have one in 2016 and the relevant niche audience isn't dropping it or switching because there's no alternative.

i just don't want people to get their hopes up in the face of an evaporating marketplace. honestly i'm surprised that more companies aren't doing the ps4/psv thing just so they can have a shot at the western market. the psv-only stuff is a little surprising.

IFI and Marvelous titles are already largely/entirely sold online only in Europe. Seems to work okay so far.

i believe this is more of a european thing, from what i understand. 'game stores' and 'game sections' don't really exist like they do in the united states and canada.

When a tiny company like Limited Run Games can sell out of the MOQ in less than an hour with a game like Breach & Clear, I'm pretty sure NISA can.

the moq isn't that much of an issue. the issue is if the moq is the goal, then the time you're spending on translation, editing, qa, design, trailers, marketing, and submission is better spent on games with a higher return on investment. if you're limited run games, then yeah it makes sense to take a risk on something with over existing 100,000 owners in hopes of reaching a base of less than 10% of that, especially when your efforts amount to making a cover art and card label art. you don't need to worry about much more than submitting the game for approval. not even any qa is required.

i believe this is more of a european thing, from what i understand. 'game stores' and 'game sections' don't really exist like they do in the united states and canada.
Where do you think people buy games in Europe? The UK is relatively similar at retail to NA I believe but a lot has moved online, yeah. In the rest of Europe most games are bought in dedicated (and sometimes huge) games sections in big electronics retailers. But Gamestop (or GAME) exists in a lot of EU countries as well.

And looking at the LEs for Ar Nosurge and now Escha & Logy Plus, selling physical releases online only isn't unprecedented in NA and seems to be successful enough.

the moq isn't that much of an issue. the issue is if the moq is the goal, then the time you're spending on translation, editing, qa, design, trailers, marketing, and submission is better spent on games with a higher return on investment. if you're limited run games, then yeah it makes sense to take a risk on something with over existing 100,000 owners in hopes of reaching a base of less than 10% of that, especially when your efforts amount to making a cover art and card label art. you don't need to worry about much more than submitting the game for approval. not even any qa is required.
I only mentioned LRG because they literally sold out of the MOQ in minutes. The next releases will definitely have bigger print runs. There still is a market. And it's not like there is an abundance of options to localize PS4 titles for NISA and co.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
i just don't want people to get their hopes up in the face of an evaporating marketplace. honestly i'm surprised that more companies aren't doing the ps4/psv thing just so they can have a shot at the western market. the psv-only stuff is a little surprising

i think its more companies outside of the ones who were ahead of the curve are behind with ps4 development, which is why we are not seeing more things like what koei tecmo and bandai namco does.

redlemon

Really hope this one will let you have a proper female protagonist instead of just changing the character portrait.

AniHawk

Where do you think people buy games in Europe? The UK is relatively similar at retail to NA I believe but a lot has moved online, yeah. In the rest of Europe most games are bought in dedicated (and sometimes huge) games sections in big electronics retailers. But Gamestop (or GAME) exists in a lot of EU countries as well.

i see. well, then i suppose what i heard was wrong. i assumed that game was in trouble to boot.

And looking at the LEs for Ar Nosurge and now Escha & Logy Plus, selling physical releases online only isn't unprecedented in NA and seems to be successful enough.

ar nosurge and escha & logy plus are poor examples as the localization on those have already been done and the work and risk is simply down to design and whoever is fronting the cash for the moq (either it's k-t or nisa). that's not an example of something like a game that originally did well at retail suddenly being followed up witih a game only available through one online retailer.

I only mentioned LRG because they literally sold out of the MOQ in minutes. The next releases will definitely have bigger print runs. There still is a market. And it's not like there is an abundance of options to localize PS4 titles for NISA and co.

there's more than the general public is aware of at a given moment. publishers like them are approached while titles are still in development. it's more of a gamble but it happens. i imagine exist archive was shopped around before it became public knowledge.

anyway, the point was more that psv-only is going to be unsustainable as a business model in the near future. it just means that there will probably be more ps4/psv and psv/steam stuff coming up, which is mostly for the benefit of a western audience. so i'm surprised that a psv-only game with potential in the west would be announced this late in 2015. i would have thought danganronpa 3 would have been the signal that that doesn't really happen anymore.

i think its more companies outside of the ones who were ahead of the curve are behind with ps4 development, which is why we are not seeing more things like what koei tecmo and bandai namco does.

that could be it. strange though - you'd think kadokawa would have the funds to try and get someone to do a port for experience if experience didn't know how to do that themselves.

Parakeetman

i see. well, then i suppose what i heard was wrong. i assumed that game was in trouble to boot.

ar nosurge and escha & logy plus are poor examples as the localization on those have already been done and the work and risk is simply down to design and whoever is fronting the cash for the moq (either it's k-t or nisa). that's not an example of something like a game that originally did well at retail suddenly being followed up witih a game only available through one online retailer.

there's more than the general public is aware of at a given moment. publishers like them are approached while titles are still in development. it's more of a gamble but it happens. i imagine exist archive was shopped around before it became public knowledge.

anyway, the point was more that psv-only is going to be unsustainable as a business model in the near future. it just means that there will probably be more ps4/psv and psv/steam stuff coming up, which is mostly for the benefit of a western audience. so i'm surprised that a psv-only game with potential in the west would be announced this late in 2015. i would have thought danganronpa 3 would have been the signal that that doesn't really happen anymore.

that could be it. strange though - you'd think kadokawa would have the funds to try and get someone to do a port for experience if experience didn't know how to do that themselves.

Could be that they are thinking domestically first and want to watch the budget. Since they know their userbase is still on the vita here at the moment would imagine they are not considering a ps4 version out of the gate, but for the west it could be a possibility then japan sees a rerelease similar to global ed for the ps4.

with the ¥¥¥ made from the domestic sales woukd help push things towards a budget for development a different platform in this case being the ps4. id like to think that potentially too exp inc will start to consider working with the ps4 also but i dont see that till possibly 2017 seeing how their development schedule is packed with vita and xbo titles at the moment.

Zhao_Yun

Good to finally have some new info on it. Was already worried that it might have been quietly canceled. Hoping for a release in the West since I really enjoyed the first game.

redcrayon

In the UK at least, it's fairly similar to the US, just replace Gamestop with Game. However, their Vita sections are tiny and it's largely focused on PS4/XBO, the odds of you finding a new copy of a niche vita title are pretty small now, let alone this time next year. Also, the online retailers are much cheaper (the in-store discounts and deals sound much better in the US), so anyone who's dedicated enough to be playing niche dungeon crawlers is almost certainly not buying them on the high street anyway, either from choice or circumstance.

From Wiki:

As of 2 April 2013, Game has 328 stores in the United Kingdom.[41] Stores traded under the Game and Gamestation brands until the latter was replaced by Game from November 2012.[42] Stores sell games for all major video game platforms. Games are also sold under a 'preowned' label, where a customer has returned a used game for cash or credit. The company also operates a transactional website, Game.co.uk.[43]

There are a couple of other smaller chains (Grainger Games has 70-odd stores too, with a more Northern spread of locations ). Virtually every reasonably sized town centre in the UK has at least one game shop focused on selling new titles, and there's often a CEX (second-hand shop) too, they have around 270 shops.

It's true that Game rarely seem to be more than one bad year away from closing down permanently though, I think investors look at it that people still buy shitloads of games physically here due to high digital prices, so having a network of outlets has potential. It was just rapid expansion and rebranding their Gamestation stores that led to the ridiculous situation of some towns having two Game stores a matter of metres apart in areas of high rent charges, so they had to slim down a bit from a peak of 600+ shops.

AniHawk

Could be that they are thinking domestically first and want to watch the budget. Since they know their userbase is still on the vita here at the moment would imagine they are not considering a ps4 version out of the gate, but for the west it could be a possibility then japan sees a rerelease similar to global ed for the ps4.

with the ¥¥¥ made from the domestic sales woukd help push things towards a budget for development a different platform in this case being the ps4. id like to think that potentially too exp inc will start to consider working with the ps4 also but i dont see that till possibly 2017 seeing how their development schedule is packed with vita and xbo titles at the moment.

that's a good point. i actually forgot that rereleases with extra content was sort of an industry-wide thing, and one that experience seems to be rather familiar with considering every game they've done aside from demon gaze and students of the round.

Parakeetman

that's a good point. i actually forgot that rereleases with extra content was sort of an industry-wide thing, and one that experience seems to be rather familiar with considering every game they've done aside from demon gaze and students of the round.

Yeah since even SoSC will be getting a version 1.5 in Japan. At least thats what they talked about a bit in the last Exp channel. Though no idea how much will change with it. It sounds like they are doing refining of the game itself based off of the feedback they got from the community who filled out the surveys.

No release date on that either I think.

Right now from what I know with the information that was available to the public in one way or another what they are working on is. Most of that info came from the Exp Channel livestreams. On purpose or accidental due to alcohol lol.

SoSC Xbox One
SoSC 1.5 - Vita
Demon Gaze 2 - Vita
Students of Round 2 - Xbox One (Title pending)
Unnamed Xbox One title

Thats how I came to the conclusion of the if there was going to be any sort of PS4 title, it would seem like it most def would be real late 2016 or early 2017. As the studio itself isnt that large manpower wise. Under 30 I think?

Good to finally have some new info on it. Was already worried that it might have been quietly canceled. Hoping for a release in the West since I really enjoyed the first game.

Nah that wouldnt have happened, since if you have been watching their development schedule, you would have seen other projects were taking priority over DG2 for a while. Even the live streams they have not talked much about it at all, besides saying it still very much is in the production schedule. Also with how Japan is, if one is under a publisher a lot of that information is fully controlled excessively by said publisher.

Parakeetman

btw heres a better image of the artwork shown at the conf.
http://www.4gamer.net/games/323/G032387/20151110055/

ZsCpxcA.jpg

Also for those who can actually write coherent thoughts in Japanese the campaign page entrance for ideas for Demon Gaze 2 is here.
http://demongaze.jp/2/

Should be interesting to see what fans can come up with, since one large issue fans have brought up in general is there needs to be more changes made to the existing combat system for example. Which also includes things like character / class skills.

marrec

Banned
The first Demon Gaze was a surprisingly good dungeon crawler despite the ridiculous fan service that's usually in much worse games.

Will play DG2 but not in public.

i just don't want people to get their hopes up in the face of an evaporating marketplace. honestly i'm surprised that more companies aren't doing the ps4/psv thing just so they can have a shot at the western market. the psv-only stuff is a little surprising.

You've been saying this for a while, which is why the past few weeks have been pretty pleasing with all the localization announcements. Looks like 2016 is going to be the last hurrah I was hoping for.

OT: Pleased with this. I was pleasantly surprised with the first Demon Gaze, so I'd always be down for more.

Awesome, I'm not crazy about DG but I enjoyed what I played of it, so if this one is good I'll also get it.

Wow a Vita game in 2016? I thought it was dead, guess it can live off from perverts money alone.

You need to make your trolling less obvious if you want it to work.

Prelude.

At this point I figured it was moved to next year but it's nice to finally see a confirmation.

You sound like a broken record Anihawk, give it a rest.

Parakeetman

You've been saying this for a while, which is why the past few weeks have been pretty pleasing with all the localization announcements. Looks like 2016 is going to be the last hurrah I was hoping for.

OT: Pleased with this. I was pleasantly surprised with the first Demon Gaze, so I'd always be down for more.

That depends on when it comes out in Japan since honestly that will be a HUGE factor with when it would release in the West. No idea if NISA would attempt to propose something such as a simultaneous "worldwide" release. Granted the turnaround would be much faster with the fact that DG did well in the West, the previous DG took a year between JP vs Western releases. Not going to use Abyss as an example as that is a different publisher MAGES, where this is Kadokawa.

As I said in a previous post, there are still a bunch of other titles that need to come out first domestically, before DG2, which is what puts the thought of DG2 being later in 2016 for Japan.

Would like to imagine that Kadokawa would be open to such an idea considering the fact that there is a good amount of fans in the West and at the same time as time does pass the general market conditions will continue to shift and its not in a positive direction. Which means getting it out sooner would be better for all parties involved. Its kinda odd too considering that they are going to be doing a worldwide release for that Root Letter game which was part of the announcement. Which seems to be a bit more of an unknown risk than for example if they went with a worldwide release of Demon Gaze 2 that already has an established fanbase.

With talk of the West aside, Im more curious about how the market in the rest of Asia is with DRPGs in general. As Ive never seen any actual number announcements for sales and whatnots, let alone know if there even is something that would be like an Asia version of Media Create. But harder considering that its made up of multiple regions instead of just a single country.

That depends on when it comes out in Japan since honestly that will be a HUGE factor with when it would release in the West. No idea if NISA would attempt to propose something such as a simultaneous "worldwide" release. Granted the turnaround would be much faster with the fact that DG did well in the West, the previous DG took a year between JP vs Western releases. Not going to use Abyss as an example as that is a different publisher MAGES, where this is Kadokawa.

I have to wonder whether NISA are involved at all. These announcements for God Wars and that other game getting simultaneous releases... I mean, NISA could certainly be the partner (they've worked pretty closely before - Rodea being announced for localization before it was even out in Japan) but then Rodea was delayed loads, reminds me of Fairy Fencer F when Idea Factory were breaking away from them.

If it is Kadokawa opening their own branch, then we'll have to see how interested they are in bringing across a Vita-only game, despite the fact that I believe it did do very well overseas.

Parakeetman

H Y P E
I adored the original.

The idea of the campaign they are doing to gain data from user input for new ideas seems interesting as it should add a bunch of new features and whatnots to the title itself. So am actually looking forward to that and what kind of changes will appear with the title.

As long as they keep that circle system with the gems Ill be happy to see new changes to the other parts of the game / mechanics.

I have to wonder whether NISA are involved at all. These announcements for God Wars and that other game getting simultaneous releases... I mean, NISA could certainly be the partner (they've worked pretty closely before - Rodea being announced for localization before it was even out in Japan) but then Rodea was delayed loads, reminds me of Fairy Fencer F when Idea Factory were breaking away from them.

If it is Kadokawa opening their own branch, then we'll have to see how interested they are in bringing across a Vita-only game, despite the fact that I believe it did do very well overseas.

Its far more risk free for them to continue their current plan than trying to open up shop and start from scratch. Not to mention they will not have the same localization team that was behind Demon Gaze, who did do a good job with the title. On top of the logistical support NISA provided with orders / shipments LE packaging extras design etc.

Cleve

I enjoyed the first one. Maybe an option for less pervy cut scenes would be nice though. It was a game I liked playing, just not when someone sat next to me on the train.

Parakeetman

How was Demon Gaze? Never played it

It depends if you like DRPGs. Even if you dont, its not like the game is so difficult to understand that it would be a problem to progress through.

Thanks to how the game is designed, it managed to make a lot of new DRPG fans it seems though.

btw heres a better image of the artwork shown at the conf.
http://www.4gamer.net/games/323/G032387/20151110055/

Also for those who can actually write coherent thoughts in Japanese the campaign page entrance for ideas for Demon Gaze 2 is here.
http://demongaze.jp/2/

Should be interesting to see what fans can come up with, since one large issue fans have brought up in general is there needs to be more changes made to the existing combat system for example. Which also includes things like character / class skills.
thanks! added to the op. :D

batrush

Bought the first game due to the hype it gets here. Found it to be really underwhelming. I don't expect that this'll be much different.

Parakeetman

Seeing the girl on the right has headphones makes me wonder if the game will be in a modern setting?

fates

Kinda on the fence about this...

Demon Gaze was weird for me in that it was a game that started losing me as it progressed. Usually the opposite happens. By the time I got later in the game I was pretty much burnt out on it and never ended up finishing it.

Top Bottom