• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamen Rider: Battride War Genesis - Free DLC/new screens/latest trailer + opening

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I actually really liked the slice of life aspect of the show, and didn't really mind that the main "plot" unraveled into shit because most modern Rider shows suffer from poorly planned end games. The only Heisei Rider show with a satisfying plot and ending I can think of would be Blade. Then they ruined all of that with that shitshow of a movie. I blame Decade.

Blade is from the era where the movies are solidly, unquestionably non-canon. You can safely ignore it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I thought even today the movies are still non-canon. Like, I seriously doubt Gaim's setting exists during Drive, etc.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I loved Fourze's end game as well as Drive's. I also thought OOO was amazing at the end. Gaim's end was crap just like the show lol.

Drive and Ghost take place in the same universe, at the least.

Apharmd

I loved Fourze's end game as well as Drive's. I also thought OOO was amazing at the end. Gaim's end was crap just like the show lol.

Drive and Ghost take place in the same universe, at the least.

A man of good taste. By the way, how were the previous games in this series?

I went ahead and put 8000 yen on my account in preparation for this. If the game ends up like the last one and over half my time with it is going to be spent staring at blank loading screens, I'm just going to get something else instead. It's a shame there hasn't been any raw gameplay footage to tell us if the framerate and loading times have been fixed. So far the game looks like a "true" sequel and much better than the last two, but there's still a chance of the game having poor performance and loading. I tried to do the survival mode on the second one, but after it taking several minutes to get into levels that took two minutes to clear, I gave up.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
A man of good taste. By the way, how were the previous games in this series?

The first one was okay for a first entry, but had some issues (framerate, load times, small roster). The second one was basically the game the first should have been, but was a poor sequel in that it added very little new content and re-used all the maps from the first game. It was essentially an expansion pack (and had even worse load times). It was still a fun game, though. But yeah, that's why people are so excited for this one. It looks like the first real sequel the franchise has had, with the character roster being doubled and all new maps.

sooo.. from the screenshots, this is essentially Kamen Rider Musou?

Yep!

I went ahead and put 8000 yen on my account in preparation for this. If the game ends up like the last one and over half my time with it is going to be spent staring at blank loading screens, I'm just going to get something else instead. It's a shame there hasn't been any raw gameplay footage to tell us if the framerate and loading times have been fixed. So far the game looks like a "true" sequel and much better than the last two, but there's still a chance of the game having poor performance and loading. I tried to do the survival mode on the second one, but after it taking several minutes to get into levels that took two minutes to clear, I gave up.

Yeah, I really hope the load times are improved. The framerate looks okay in the videos we've gotten (namely the character trailers we've been getting the past few weeks), but there is a part during DCD Kuuga's section in the latest trailer that worries me a bit. In the part where he transforms into black eyed Ultimate, the framerate seems to take a pretty noticeable dip. Might just be a video issue, but it might not be. We really won't know until release, I suppose.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The release schedule for the DLC characters has been revealed:

Specter: March 10th
Chaser: March 17th
Ghost Boost: March 24th

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Good to see them all come so soon.

Can't wait for Spectre! He makes my heart go doki doki.

LostAnkh

The release schedule for the DLC characters has been revealed:

Specter: March 10th
Chaser: March 17th
Ghost Boost: March 24th
Glad they're free, because it seems they had to meet a deadline and were still working on these guys.

Now I gotta see if I want the Vita version or PS4

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Huge new Dengeki article detailing numerous changes and additions to the game.

-Story
-New bike mechanics and what the Riders without bikes do (Beast uses Falco Mantle like before, Diend uses super speed, Eternal uses the Accel Memory)
-Additions to the leveling system ("Rider Soul" points which can be found during stages and used to level Riders outside of battle)
-Changes in the figure system (Figures are now found in boxes around the stages)
-"Shocker Researchers" (These special enemy types may randomly appear in stages and drop rare figures(?) if you defeat them before they escape)
-New enemies (Spider Kaijin, Turtle Bazooka (YES!), Jaguar Lord, White Wizard, Libra Zodiarts, etc)
-Several new grunt types (Including OOO Gatakiriba clones (!?))
-Major changes to Gaim, Baron, and Wizard

Gaim:
-Kachidoki or Suika can be chosen for his super form, Kiwami is now ultimate form.
-Tons of new moves for Jimba Lemon form. Basically an entirely new moveset.

Baron:
-Mango Arms is now normally usable, super form is now Baron Lemon Energy
-Some new moves (Hold Square to summon banana spears from the ground)

Wizard
-Dragon forms are now fully playable

Looks like Phillip and Gentaro got new soundalikes. It must be awkward making these games and casting voice actors when even the recent riders are becoming so successful outside of the franchise that there's no way to make the character speak ingame without recycling lines, using text only, or hiring a soundalike. Many of the older actors might even be easier to get back than the younger ones now, since they may not be that active in the industry anymore, and the younger ones have agencies that won't let them return to the franchise (Koji Seto, Hiro Mizushima, Sota Fukushi, etc.).

This trailer was pretty dry, honestly. Not much in the way of new moves or mechanics. The Dengeki posts are going more in-depth about the buffs/changes than the trailers are.

delSai

Those trailers are making it pretty difficult for me to wait and not preorder, they're all so hype.
Next trailer should be Gaim, Drive and Ghost right? Finally getting to the stuff i know lol.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Looks like Phillip and Gentaro got new soundalikes. It must be awkward making these games and casting voice actors when even the recent riders are becoming so successful outside of the franchise that there's no way to make the character speak ingame without recycling lines, using text only, or hiring a soundalike. Many of the older actors might even be easier to get back than the younger ones now, since they may not be that active in the industry anymore, and the younger ones have agencies that won't let them return to the franchise (Koji Seto, Hiro Mizushima, Sota Fukushi, etc.).

This trailer was pretty dry, honestly. Not much in the way of new moves or mechanics. The Dengeki posts are going more in-depth about the buffs/changes than the trailers are.

I don't think too many returning characters are going to have major changes aside from the Gaim cast, who felt pretty unfinished in II. And Wizard with the Dragon forms, of course. Other than that, though, I haven't seen any new moves at all in the trailers.

Personally what I'm waiting on now is for the trophy list to leak. Really want to know what kind of other modes are going to be in the game.

Some Nobody

I actually really liked the slice of life aspect of the show, and didn't really mind that the main "plot" unraveled into shit because most modern Rider shows suffer from poorly planned end games. The only Heisei Rider show with a satisfying plot and ending I can think of would be Blade. Then they ruined all of that with that shitshow of a movie. I blame Decade.

Kuuga? Agito? Gaim???

Man, this game actually makes me hype. I wish it had stronger graphics but I know this is a super budget project, plus to have SO many characters with differing movesets to put in must be a pain anyway. And they don't even have all the characters/forms--Blade Jack Form is lying woefully unused for instance lol.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kuuga? Agito? Gaim???

Man, this game actually makes me hype. I wish it had stronger graphics but I know this is a super budget project, plus to have SO many characters with differing movesets to put in must be a pain anyway. And they don't even have all the characters/forms--Blade Jack Form is lying woefully unused for instance lol.

Jack Form is in, it's just not in the trailer for some reason.

sKAo9e4.jpg

NeonZ

Blade is from the era where the movies are solidly, unquestionably non-canon. You can safely ignore it.

Blade's movie came out just past halfway through the series anyway, a long time before the tv ending.

I thought even today the movies are still non-canon. Like, I seriously doubt Gaim's setting exists during Drive, etc.

The movies are all mostly supposed to be canon nowadays, although obviously they avoid crossover stuff in the tv show itself. Drive and Ghost both have directly referenced crossover elements in the main tv shows though. Drive mentioned Lupin from the Drive x Gaim movie and the Shocker Roidmude guy from Vs Ninninger popped up listed in Drive's Roidmude list that appeared in the standard episodes later in the show.

Ghost met Drive in the last episode of Drive and in Ghost itself there was a flashback to Drive. In last week's episode there was a character talking about Ghost meeting Rider 1 in the future which is obviously foreshadowing the upcoming Kamen Rider 1 movie.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Famitsu review is out. Here's the text:

仮面ライダー バトライド・ウォー 創生
[ 7 / 7 / 8 / 7 ]
 ストーリーを含む全ミッションクリアまで30時間、やり込み含め100時間以上。
・昭和ライダーの参戦が○
・各ライダーのフォームや必殺技が細かく再現されているが使い分けの必要性があまり感じられない
・敵の大軍がいきなり目の前に現れるなど大味
・操作が若干ややこしい
・1号のみながら戦闘中に変身できるのは盛り上がる
・ミッションはやや単調
・ライダー毎の魅力を上手に落とし込んだシステム
・ファンアイテムとしての完成度は非常に高く、こだわりを感じる

There's really not much of note in the review itself (mostly complaints about repetitive stages and the fact that you don't really need to use most of the moves at your disposal, which is something that anyone who has played Battride before should be used to by now). It also mentions that story mode is around 30 hours, while it will take 100+ hours to do everything. Again, nothing new as far as Battride goes.

As for the score (29/40), eh, I'm not gonna put too much stock in it. For a number of reasons.

1. It's Famitsu.
2. It's two points lower than Battride II, which itself was two points lower than Battride 1 despite being a far better game.
3. I always thought Battride 1's 33/40 was WAY too high for what that game was anyway. 29/40 is fair if you're going into the game not being a huge KR fan, which is what I'm going to assume is the case for Famitsu's reviewers. As KR fans we can all probably safely add 4 or 5 points to the score just because it's Kamen Rider.

WillyFive

I wish the sequences where the Riders change forms or pull out a new weapon were more like Climax Heroes where they painstakingly recreated it. For Battride, it just feels tacked on.

Looks like they're starting to show some transparency about how the last gen/portable versions of the game will perform. Still no info on the load times or framerate on the PS4 version, though. The Vita version looks and performs on par with the other Musou games on the console, so that's not bad at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I52RszG_b0

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
And aside from that video (which I think they accidentally uploaded in place of this video and then realized their mistake a few minutes later), we have the 2012-2016 PV! Including one HUGE reveal that they managed to keep secret this whole time.

LORD FUCKING BARON

They really needed that surprise since the Gaim riders didn't seem to get many new things in this game.

Drive and Mach look fun to play. Even in the new trailer, the performance was taking massive dips even on a 30 FPS source video. I suppose we won't know until someone gets it early and uploads the footage at 60FPS, or someone else posts about it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Also, Gaim got 3 insert songs on the soundtrack.

Decade had 3 last game, and W also has 3 this time around (although true, two of them are just BGM).

Also it seems odd that Gaim only has one villain in the game (re-used Bujin Gaim from II), and Drive and Ghost don't have any. Like, I can understand Ghost 'cause it just started airing relatively recently, but Drive? Drive should have villains.

Watch Da Birdie

Looking at one of those videos, looks like one of the stages is based on the outside of the Tokyo Dome they always end up at...neat.

Decade had 3 last game, and W also has 3 this time around (although true, two of them are just BGM).

Also it seems odd that Gaim only has one villain in the game (re-used Bujin Gaim from II), and Drive and Ghost don't have any. Like, I can understand Ghost 'cause it just started airing relatively recently, but Drive? Drive should have villains.

At least use Heart, Brain, Freeze, or even Gold Drive...or hell just use the Shmup final boss.

on Gaim's side I know there was a shortage on memorable Villain monsters but Demushu/Redyue probably could have worked, or even Duke/Sigurd/Kogane could have worked.

Watch Da Birdie

Haruto and Beast sound weird as fuck...

It looks like they put a lot of work into Drive though, I'm glad. Ghost looks pretty neat though I agree limiting his Form Changes is a bit weak---and no Iguana-kun. :(

Is this up for preorder yet on PSN? I'm not seeing it. Doesn't it come out on Tuesday?

Most games in Japan release Thursday local time. PSN for sure will be Thursday I believe.

Either way, was interested in these games since the first one but never jumped. Might bite on this one... maybe vita version if I decide to buy one next week. Need to get back on the kamen rider train, weirdly fell off it once I actually moved to japan lol.

Top Bottom