• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kameo Christmas Suprise - $$ Downloadable Content!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Kung Foo Kid said:
Thank you, 5 pages in and a person with a possible benefiting solution. The fact is this is not going go away as much as some you want. So help find beneficial solutions to the cause then fighting a losing battle. Lets stop arguing and find some concrete ways to make this turn in are favour.

Personally, I think I would rather pay for a complete game and then pay for a significant expansion (i.e. the Halo 2 Map Pack) much later rather than be nickeled and dimed for Christmas Tree underwear on DOA4 fighters or alternative uniforms on NFL players. As a solution, I would like for MS to award points for Game Achievements and then let you purchase "trinkets" from the marketplace at your own discretion. That way you can pick your unlocks. Then, save the micro-transactions for the bigger downloads like a course pack for Tiger Woods or a map-pack for PDZ. Having to pay for stuff right now that you can't even see or preview is not working for me and will be avoided. That goes for this Kameo "expansion" as well. And by the way, Kameo is my game of choice next to PGR3 right now.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
puebla said:
as far as the future, if they start trying to sell u characters, or new levels or whatever, then u could complain, but until then stfu.
The problem is, if they get to that point, it will have been on the back of enough acceptance by some portion of the marketplace that may not necessarily be you and I. At that point it will be harder to affect a change in approach if devs/pubs have found an audience that will support it. Easier to nip something in the bud rather than wait till it has grown into a bigger issue.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think it's fair for people to complain about a pricing system they don't like, and I don't quite see why some people are just taking this as being an absolute given and the future of video games- companies have tried tons of different pricing schemes, some arguably even more promising than this one, that have failed.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Letter to Elise said:
Exactly what I said earlier. And again the thread should have ended. :)

And like I just said, that's how those who "are ready to get ass raped over the coals with content that should already be in the original game" would like it.

Furthermore, I think being vocal about it publicly does matter. MS has said they were going to do tons of things in future OS's but with all those vocal against it, they have gone back on what they said they would do in order to keep the public happy.

People who just take shit laying down are sheep.

Tellaerin

I think most of the regulars here are already well aware of my stance on DLC/microtransactions. If not, sp0rks, Matlock, and (in particular) Dr. Cogent have summed up my feelings nicely. I have to admit that it's gratifying to see people expressing the same misgivings I've been having for awhile now, even if it took a naked display of greed to bring that to the forefront. Let's hope that some of the negative reactions here will give companies pause to reconsider their approach towards DLC in the days ahead.

Dr_Cogent said:
And like I just said, that's how those who "are ready to get ass raped over the coals with content that should already be in the original game" would like it.

Furthermore, I think being vocal about it publicly does matter. MS has said they were going to do tons of things in future OS's but with all those vocal against it, they have gone back on what they said they would do in order to keep the public happy.

People who just take shit laying down are sheep.

If you honestly believe that complaining on a message board = being vocal about it publicly and that it matters, there is a disconnect here.

MS stated that they will throw things out there and that whatever works will continue, and that what doesn't won't. We can vote with our dollars, but in the end that's ALL that matters.

Comparing this to ass rape is just high drama.

The ONLY thing I'll pay for in points are the excellent LIVE arcade games. The rest is unnecessary IMO.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Letter to Elise said:
If you honestly believe that complaining on a message board = being vocal about it publicly and that it matters, there is a disconnect here.

It's highly probably MS reads these boards. What people have to say here does matter. Without us, there is no MS. There is no Sony. There is no Nintendo. We make the market work, because we buy their shit. If we didn't, there wouldn't be these companies. What we think matters big time.

Letter to Elise said:
MS stated that they will throw things out there and that whatever works will continue, and that what doesn't won't. We can vote with our dollars, but in the end that's ALL that matters.

Unfortunately, the masses might eat this shit up, further tempting developers to nickel and dime us.

Letter to Elise said:
Comparing this to ass rape is just high drama.

It adds flair and makes the sentence more interesting to read. :lol

Bend over!

Tellaerin

Letter to Elise said:

Considering how many industry figures frequent this board and how many times gaming news sites (and G4, for that matter) have picked up stories from here and run with them in the past, yes, it does matter. The topic certainly has a greater chance of being picked up for discussion by other media after appearing here than it would otherwise.

Dr_Cogent said:
It's highly probably MS reads these boards. What people have to say here does matter. Without us, there is no MS. There is no Sony. There is no Nintendo. We make the market work, because we buy their shit. If we didn't, there wouldn't be these companies. What we think matters big time.

Unfortunately, the masses will probably eat this shit up, further tempting developers to nickel and dime us.

It adds flair and makes the sentence more interesting to read. :lol

Bend over!

Again, if they read it great. But that will mean zero if the cash is rolling in.

If you think rape metaphors add flair you're truly a child. Its nothing to joke about.

But continue with your meaninless crusade if that's what fuels you in this world.

~l2e

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Letter to Elise said:
If you think rape metaphors add flair you're truly a child. Its nothing to joke about.

Wow. You're pretty uptight. You need to loosen up.

Remember, it's a metaphor. It's not reality.

You must be a real drag to be around.

Dr_Cogent said:
Wow. You're pretty uptight. You need to loosen up.

Sorry. Nothing to joke about.

EDIT: Nice edit to make it all better. Truth is you have no idea who I am or what I've been through so try and be a little more sensitive. If you 're joking about rape, you are a child. That's the end of it.

~l2e

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Suburban Cowboy said:
so you have to pay 50$ for a service that allows you to purchase things...

Yeah, I wish they would allow for some other functionality beyond just microtransactions, you know, but hey, you get what you pay for.

I think this microtransaction stuff really stinks. Charging customers for a small add-on just seems like nickel and diming. Of course people don't have to shell out money for these additional products, but we all know that people will, especially when we start seeing this stuff hit in games heavily trafficked in matchmaking. I can see special Master Chief colors and emblems going up for sale and Bungie's Mountain Dew joke from the pre-Maptacular hype coming to fruition.

Not that Velocity Girl didn't warn us.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Letter to Elise said:

EDIT: Nice edit to make it all better. Truth is you have no idea who I am or what I've been through so try and be a little more sensitive. If you 're joking about rape, you are a child. That's the end of it.

~l2e

I read your post after I edited my post. Sorry pal. Maybe you need to stop taking so many things so seriously. Life is short, if you are going to get all uppity about every little thing everyone says, you are going to be depressed for the rest of your life.

No one made light of anyone in particular getting raped. Quit being so damn melodramatic.

Raiden said:
Im a pussy in that shit, if i love PD0 online, and they release a stealth-suit Joanna Dark model or something, i KNOW ill buy it.

Not to sidetrack the argument, but as mentioned again, what is the fucking point? Its a FPS character, you'll barely see the suit most of the time.

But its this attitude that precisely makes me worried that microtransactions will eventually succeed, because people will be tempted any dumb thing without really thinking about it.

puebla said:
it's $2 for a costume pack. it's really not a big deal.

as far as the future, if they start trying to sell u characters, or new levels or whatever, then u could complain, but until then stfu.

ur crying over nothing.

Thanks for being another fine contributor to the discussion!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Suburban Cowboy said:
so you have to pay 50$ for a service that allows you to purchase things...

I thought you could purchase stuff with XBLive Silver

Letter to Elise said:

If you 're joking about rape, you are a child. That's the end of it.

~l2e
mentioning rape in a gaming board is standard practice. If its purely metaphorical theres nothing wrong with saying "I just raped some japanese kid in Mario Kart" or "wow, ganon just totally raped me"

Dont expect others to stop and consider whether what they say in general will offend people on a personal level.

Suburban Cowboy said:
mentioning rape in a gaming board is standard practice. If its purely metaphorical theres nothing wrong with saying "I just raped some japanese kid in Mario Kart" or "wow, ganon just totally raped me"

Dont expect others to stop and consider whether what they say in general will offend people on a personal level.

And if you joke about rape you are a child.

DSFan1970

Dr_Cogent said:
I read your post after I edited my post. Sorry pal. Maybe you need to stop taking so many things so seriously. Life is short, if you are going to get all uppity about every little thing everyone says, you are going to be depressed for the rest of your life.

No one made light of anyone in particular getting raped. Quit being so damn melodramatic.

The relative anonymity of this board allows folks here to say anything they please, without regard to tact or taste, and then when called on as being offensive, the defense is to tell people to lighten up. What the heck is that about? Lamest arguement ever. I love how life is short is thrown around as well. I wonder how many who say this, say it out of experience or by rote?

On topic: They should not charge for this download.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Letter to Elise said:
And if you joke about rape you are a child.

Dude, seriously, when I read about people being raped in the news, I am appalled. No one here is "joking" about rape. It's a metaphor. It's not to be taken seriously or as if it's something that is really happening.

I'm all for Jessica's Law across all 50 states. No one here is making light of rape. Seriously.

Mrbob

This is pretty sad trying to sell costume pack for $2.50. This is the wrong type of microtransation. Should be a bonus in the game.

Dr_Cogent said:
Dude, seriously, when I read about people being raped in the news, I am appalled. No one here is "joking" about rape. It's a metaphor. It's not to be taken seriously or as if it's something that is really happening.

I'm all for Jessica's Law across all 50 states. No one here is making light of rape. Seriously.

For the record, I am not a dude. Carry on with your little boy games and protests.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Letter to Elise said:
For the record, I am not a dude. Carry on with your little boy games and protests.

It's called a debate. People can argue one point or the opposing point. You are taking all of this WAY too personally. If we all agreed on everything here, there would be no point in having a forum. Discuss the issue at hand, and try not to take metaphors as something that is serious, because it's not.

And for the record, in my circles - dude is used interchangeably.

Mrbob said:
This is pretty sad trying to sell costume pack for $2.50. This is the wrong type of microtransation. Should be a bonus in the game.

You are now an enemy of the Xbot state.

Xenon

I can't believe MS is charging us for x-mas costumes while most other console games include them for free. >(

If MS can get people to pay for shit like this, more power to them.

Top Bottom