• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kameo Christmas Suprise - $$ Downloadable Content!

olimario

Banned
taken directly from the Kameo site

As a little treat for Kameo's forum followers, we thought you might like to take a sneak peek at something from the Winter Warrior Pack. While we're keeping the Warriors themselves a secret for now, take a look at this:

kameo_ww.jpg

Yes, that's an in-game shot (apart from the large floating golden letters, at least). Of course, Pummel Weed, Chilla and co. can't wait to get in on the festive spirit and they all receive a similarly wintery makeover too. As some newshounds have discovered, you'll be able to purchase these new looks as and when you'd like from the Xbox Live Marketplace.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Purchase!!!

Truly, something is being lost is this transition to next-gen :( There was a time when devs would have delighted hiding this away in their game to surprise everyone - for free.

Jeff-DSA

I noticed that the pack costed money the other day. There is NO WAY I'll be paying for what should be free.

"Happy Holidays everybody, send us your cash!"

olimario

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
this should have been on the game already as a cool time capsule or something.

anyway. is it free?

RARE said:
As some newshounds have discovered, you'll be able to purchase these new looks as and when you'd like from the Xbox Live Marketplace.

:lol

LakeEarth

Yup, that's the winter warrior pack. Some character skins for 2 bucks that you wouldn't have cared if it was already in the game in the first place. Microtransactions!

PhatSaqs

Banned
gofreak said:
Purchase!!!

Truly, something is being lost is this transition to next-gen :( There was a time when devs would have delighted hiding this away in their game to surprise everyone - for free.
I agree. Hell, there are skins in the game itself that can be had by simply playing the game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That it's a Christmas-themed makes this all the more horrible. The three wise men didn't ask for $2 when giving their gifts to baby Jesus. Did they? DID THEY??!

:(

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Please stick it to MS and don't buy this bullshit guys.

These fucking clown shoes are going to try to milk us at every corner now. Fucking tools.

I am going to do my best to never purchase extra content. If it's not in the game originally, fuck it - and fuck you MS.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:

These fucking clown shoes are going to try to milk us at every corner now. Fucking tools.

I am going to do my best to never purchase extra content. If it's not in the game originally, fuck it - and fuck you MS.
I'm fine spending a little for something like the Halo map pack. This right here is just plain old greed.

Jeff-DSA

Dr_Cogent said:

No kidding. I've paid for Geometry Wars 2 and Live Service, but I won't be buying these sort of "extras."

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If the content includes an extra level or something i'll buy it, but if its just a change of clothes, no thanks.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
I'm fine spending a little for something like the Halo map pack. This right here is just plain old greed.

Yeah, but we all knew that it was going to go well beyond map packs and things that are actually "worth it". I can just see them cutting down on content they have when a game launches only to "sell it later" for an extra profit.

Xellotah

Dr_Cogent said:

QFT...

They are obviously testing out the water with these downloads to see what will be accepted and what won't. If this little stunt turns out to be successfull, you can see other companies breaking up their games into small "sellable" packages.

Solid

That's the best christmas "gift" I've ever seen :lol Now I really know what people mean when they type M$.

lonewolf32

Neo Member
Damn - I'm picturing it now. Parents all over the world sign their kids up with xbox live using a credit card which is stored for future microtransactions. Then the kids pick up the extra outfits without a second thought of asking their folks. They are sly. Who would knowingly pay for a fucking santa hat? This is going to be interesting.

Luckett_X

Banned
I always enjoyed seasonal unlockables in games. Christmas NiGHTS remains a masterpiece in that regard, and I had hoped that one day, a lot more games would feature such content. But as games keep getting rushed out the door more and more, such bonus content was always going to be stricken to the wayside.

Having to pay for something that was already made ready to be included as an extra is fucking wrong though. I can see releasing some pack 6 months after the games release or something, thats been made as an addendum, but something that was ALREADY MADE TO BE INCLUDED should fucking be on the disc.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Dr_Cogent said:
Yeah, but we all knew that it was going to go well beyond map packs and things that are actually "worth it". I can just see them cutting down on content they have when a game launches only to "sell it later" for an extra profit.
qft

eventually you will only get maybe 10 levels in a platformer with the promise of "more levels available after launch"... for a price...

Razoric

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:

See Ridge Racer 6 car pack due out soon. :lol

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
lonewolf32 said:
Damn - I'm picturing it now. Parents all over the world sign their kids up with xbox live using a credit card which is stored for future microtransactions. Then the kids pick up the extra outfits without a second thought of asking their folks. They are sly. Who would knowingly pay for a fucking santa hat? This is going to be interesting.

oh shit. i didnt even think about that. MS are some sly devils.

Jerkface

Banned
Sony and Nintendo will be doing the same things from everything they have said.

Best way to combat it is by not buying things that you don't want or see value in, an alien concept to some of you I'm sure! :lol

Jerkface

Banned
lonewolf32 said:

Hence one of the reasons for marketplace points! Little Timmy can't just press "BUY" if the marketplace points aren't there.

Particle Physicist

Odysseus said:
Guys... what gives? You're whining like they slapped your mothers. Don't buy it, no one will lose sleep over it.

well. unfortunately.. people will buy it.. which will prompt more developers to leave shit off in order to sell later.. i can see this trend growing way out of hand. i aint happay.

Razoric

Banned
Odysseus said:
Guys... what gives? You're whining like they slapped your mothers. Don't buy it, no one will lose sleep over it.

It's more of a long term thing. It's fine and dandy the have a little Christmas outfit to download, but the problem is what if it's popular? Remember Doom 3:CE or the Halo 2 CE we all bought for $60? Yeah now that's the standard pricing for some next-gen games. We have no one to blame but ourselves for this shit so it's time we smarten up.

Games need to be $30-40 to hit critical mass, not fucking $60+ with more money to spend on content downloads.

Particle Physicist

Jerkface said:
Hence one of the reasons for marketplace points! Little Timmy can't just press "BUY" if the marketplace points aren't there.

the marketplace points are there in order to help disguise how much you are actually spending on something. (Dave and Busters does this as well)

those with a 360.. how easy is it to buy marketplace points?

Jeff-DSA

quadriplegicjon said:

It's very simple. You just select the amount you want to buy and select 'yes' when it asks if you are sure.

PhatSaqs

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
the marketplace points are there in order to help disguise how much you are actually spending on something. (Dave and Busters does this as well)

Easy. Go into anything marketplace related (XBL Arcade, themes, etc.) and press X to "Add Marketplace Points". Select the amount you want and confirm. Or add points via cards purchased from the store.

Top Bottom