• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kameo Christmas Suprise - $$ Downloadable Content!

ninge

By then, the cars will be free anyway. Launch game, remember?

Really? i hadnt read anywhere that content would be downgraded over time to free! you just pulling this out of your ass or did you actually read something about it?

ninge said:
it might be pure speculation but the reason im speculating is that none of the other platforms have a marketplace equivelent so either the additional content wont appear on those platforms (great for xbox owners) or it will be given away (bad)

I agree, this is much more interesting, could be a bonus for X360 owners or not. Although I would be surprised if PS3 and Rev didn't have some kind of way to download content as well, maybe not through a "marketplace" but through the game itself perhaps.

Speevy

Banned
and there is very little anyone can do about it.

2324634.jpg

ninge said:
Look at it another way.. how will you feel if games on xbox360 charge for this extra content and then those same games ship with that content on the other platforms?
I'll get the version that seems to be the best at the price I want to pay, that would just be another item to enter into the decision-making process.

For the people pissed about the thought of paying for something they don't even want, welcome to the real world. I understand that completist nerds will be hosed, but most of us make the decision every day TO NOT BUY SHIT THAT WE DON'T WANT.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Odysseus said:
Guys... what gives? You're whining like they slapped your mothers. Don't buy it, no one will lose sleep over it.

Put it in perspective. Your games could be gimped because they want you to pay more for them via these transactions.

Speevy

Banned
ninge said:
Really? i hadnt read anywhere that content would be downgraded over time to free! you just pulling this out of your ass or did you actually read something about it?

One way or another, the content will be available. For one, most of it SHOULD be exclusive to the Xbox platform. Another thing is the fact that they can release premium editions of old 360 games to simultaneously coincide with the PS3 release.

Hopefully bigger items like extra maps and levels will apply the same sort of setup as Halo 2 did, where the items became free after so many months. This allowed the casual and hardcore to be allowed access to the content well the company to still make a profit.

Speevy

Banned
You have to consider the perspective that every Xbox 360 game will eventually be ported. That's just logic. I mean, they couldn't possibly be making Ridge Racer 7 for a later release or anything. It has to be the superior version of the already released Xbox game. We know this, right? I guess not.

Speevy

Banned
Kung Foo Kid said:
Hopefully bigger items like extra maps and levels will apply the same sort of setup as Halo 2 did, where the items became free after so many months. This allowed the casual and hardcore to be allowed access to the content well the company to still make a profit.

They make stuff free after a period of time? That's...what I said before. Thank you.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
dorio said:
Well, if you want the industry to survive something has to be done to offset the rising development costs of games. If you prefer that the industry goes belly up than fine but don't complain about developers trying to make money for their work. You can play Kameo just fine without her being dressed in a Santa outfit.

i dunno maybe they should try......streaminlining development? Or maybe drop the price so more people buy games?

I mean last i checked i didn't have to pay 60 dollars to go see the titanic in the theatre.

Redbeard

Banned
Jerkface said:
Leaving cars out of the game is a bit worse than leaving out seasonal skins for characters.

There are what, 130 cars in the game, with a few extra downloadable ones? That's nothing.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
chigiri said:
Don't buy the crappy downloadable content, problem solved. :)

Well, that's assuming that enough others do the same. And the dev/pub response could always just be, "Well, they didn't buy it because we didn't withold something crucial enough to the game" and then they proceed to make all of the main character's weapons in their next game accessible only through a paid download. ;)

sp0rsk said:
i dunno maybe they should try......streaminlining development? Or maybe drop the price so more people buy games?

I mean last i checked i didn't have to pay 60 dollars to go see the titanic in the theatre.

Last time I checked I played a game alot longer then 3 hours.

Matlock

Banned
dorio said:
Well, if you want the industry to survive something has to be done to offset the rising development costs of games. If you prefer that the industry goes belly up than fine but don't complain about developers trying to make money for their work. You can play Kameo just fine without her being dressed in a Santa outfit.

<Bungie> Hey guys, here's Halo 3!
<Consumers> WTF no ending again?!
<Bungie> Send us $20 and we'll give you the last two levels and the ending.

Like Sporks said, there's a lot that could be done--and it ain't all raising prices.

dorio

Banned
sp0rsk said:

I'm sure those things are being done and/or being considered just as microtransactions are. It's not an either or thing.

Razoric

Banned
Kung Foo Kid said:

Doesn't matter, most game budgets are nowhere near blockbuster movie budgets. Yes movies are more popular so they can be cheaper, but maybe there's a reason why movies are more popular? You don't have to blow $60 to by a copy of Se7en.

jedimike

Jerkface said:
Leaving cars out of the game is a bit worse than leaving out seasonal skins for characters.

First off, that information was a rumor. Also, this isn't the first time gamers have had to pay for extra content. PC developers usually just save a whole bunch of extra content and call it an expansion pack. We also paid for extra courses in Links and 2 map/car packs in PGR2.

Everytime this happens, there's a huge bitch thread on GAF. However, I don't recall anyone calling PGR2 or Links gimped games.

sprsk

Kung Foo Kid said:

So how much should i pay for games like DQ8 or disgaea? Scarlet logged 300 hours into DQ8, should she pay 700 dollars for it?

I'm not saying games should be 8 dollars, obviously there is a difference between a game and a movie, but 60 dollar games + nickle and diming for stupid shit is not the answer.

dorio

Banned
Razoric said:
Doesn't matter, most game budgets are nowhere near blockbuster movie budgets. Yes movies are more popular so they can be cheaper, but maybe there's a reason why movies are more popular? You don't have to blow $60 to by a copy of Se7en.
Don't you think game companies have done studies on how much a reduction in cost would lead to an increase in sales. Obviously the studies have shown that that business model doesn't work.

sprsk

dorio said:
I'm sure those things are being done and/or being considered just as microtransactions are. It's not an either or thing.

Yeah, they streamline development and then still charge us for microtransactions! :lol

sprsk

dorio said:
Don't you think game companies have done studies on how much a reduction in cost would lead to an increase in sales. Obviously the studies have shown that that business model doesn't work.

Which studies?! where?!

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Redbeard said:
When it actually happens then whine about it.

Wow, that's a real lame attitude to take towards it. So instead of being proactive and telling MS to stuff this shit back where it came from, just take it up the ass and encourage them to do it more right?

Sounds like a fanboy attitude to me. Take it up the ass and smile.

sp0rsk said:
So how much should i pay for games like DQ8 or disgaea? Scarlet logged 300 hours into DQ8, should she pay 700 dollars for it?

I'm not saying games should be 8 dollars, obviously there is a difference between a game and a movie, but 60 dollar games + nickle and diming for stupid shit is not the answer.
If it's stupid shit, quit fucking crying that you won't be able to get it.

rastex

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
Ridge Racer 6 says hi.

I know other people have argued against this point, but I'd just really like to stress as to how WRONG you actually are. And it's obvious you're speaking entirely out of ignorance, because anybody that's played RR6 knows how huge the game is out of the box. Oh, and how awesome it rocks!

After reading this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if DOA4 (and the rest of the DOA franchise from now on) does the same thing. Costumes have been one of the biggest attractions in the series and MS and Tecmo/Team Ninja can milk it for all its worth big time.

I wonder how you guys will feel about Itagaki after that? =P

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Let's just put it this way, if I was in devs shoes, and could cut out items before release and make them available shortly after release for a profit, I would do it in a heartbeat because I would be on the other side and trying to make as much money as possible. If the market eats this retarded shit up, by charging a little here and a little there - what Matlock and I are saying is going to come true - and your games WILL be gimped. Make no mistake about it. MS isn't your friend. Sony isn't your friend and neither is Nintendo. They all want your fucking money and don't give a shit about you.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I've said this before, but I really dont think this will ultimately matter much in the long run. If a game rocks before marketplace shit (aka "stuff held back") then it's a moot point to argue that devs will/are holding back content to sell later. Why care? The game already rocks right? "Gimped" or not.

And if a game sucks, as it should if it's really "Gimped", then it wont matter what content they release as no one will be checking for it to buy anyway.

Dr_Cogent said:
Let's just put it this way, if I was in devs shoes, and could cut out items before release and make them available shortly after release for a profit, I would do it in a heartbeat because I would be on the other side and trying to make as much money as possible. If the market eats this retarded shit up, by charging a little here and a little there - what Matlock and I are saying is going to come true - and your games WILL be gimped. Make no mistake about it. MS isn't your friend. Sony isn't your friend and neither is Nintendo. They all want your fucking money and don't give a shit about you.
They just teach you about the free market in school today? You seem to think that there was some "good old days" era when Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo weren't after our wallets.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
It's already been happening for years.

I have it on pretty good authority that EA has, with certain titles, left completed or nearly completed features out of their yearly game updates because they feel they've delivered enough content to justify a sale, and want to make it easier on themselves the next year.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Dinosaur Sr. said:
They just teach you about the free market in school today? You seem to think that there was some "good old days" era when Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo weren't after our wallets.

Please point me where I stated MS, Sony and Ninendo weren't trying to get my money before. If you can't, and I know you can't, then STFU please. Thanks.

quadriplegicjon said:
people saying; 'just dont buy it' are completely missing the point.

I don't know if they can grasp the concept personally.

Matlock

Banned
jetjevons said:
It's already been happening for years.

I have it on pretety good authority EA has, with certain titles, left completed or nearly completed features out of their yearly game updates because they feel they've delivered enough content to justify a sale, and want to make it easier on themselves the next year.

That I can understand, because it's fairly transparent to the end consumer. Selling features a la carte is a different tale.

Dr_Cogent said:
Please point me where I stated MS, Sony and Ninendo weren't trying to get my money before. If you can't, and I know you can't, then STFU please. Thanks.
You act like you're letting everyone in on some secret that these companies aren't in business to be our pals. Thanks for the insight.

Can you grasp the concept of not paying for something you don't want?

vitaflo

Dinosaur Sr. said:

At least before, when I bought a game, I knew what I was buying (or not buying as the case may be). Now, who knows wtf they're leaving out to gouge me on later.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ninge said:
it might be pure speculation but the reason im speculating is that none of the other platforms have a marketplace equivelent so either the additional content wont appear on those platforms (great for xbox owners) or it will be given away on those platforms (bad) or alternatively it will become free on the marketplace and given away free on the other platforms (bad if you are suckered into buying it before it becomes free later)

Sony at least has talked about "microtransactions" before also. And there's already dlc on PSP. Commerce was also one of the "4 Cs" they talked about for PS3 Online at E3, so..I think we'll see the same on PS3.

sprsk

Dinosaur Sr. said:
You act like you're letting everyone in on some secret that these companies aren't in business to be our pals. Thanks for the insight.

Can you not understand that we are trying to tell you that if people keep eating this shit up they will start asking us to pay extra for things we DO want? 60 bucks for a game and then 20 bucks for multiplayer maps 5 dollars for a new character, so on and so on.

jedimike

Dr_Cogent said:

That's why there is competition. A developer can't make a "gimped" game and then expect to make a profit by selling downloadable content. Developers still have to make a game compete against other games of the same genre and then if they want to have downloadable content, that content has to be compelling enough for consumers to spend more money on top of the money they already spent for the game.

If devs can do that... more power to them.

people saying; 'just dont buy it' are completely missing the point.

Nobody is missing the point because it is really just that simple. If the developer hasn't convinced you that the content is worth paying for, then don't buy it. The developer will then have to make more compelling downloadable content or just not make it at all.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Dinosaur Sr. said:

I'm still waiting for you to show me where I said that MS, Nintendo and Sony weren't after our money before.

You can keep trying to divert the subject away to make yourself look smart, but I'm not falling for it.

vitaflo said:
At least before, when I bought a game, I knew what I was buying (or not buying as the case may be). Now, who knows wtf they're leaving out to gouge me on later.
And before dowloadable content, when I bought a game, I basically couldn't get anything above and beyond what was in the box without shelling out 50 dollars for a sequel. I like the new style.

dorio

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Screw capitalism! Where's Marx when you need him. :)

PhatSaqs

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Can you not understand that we are trying to tell you that if people keep eating this shit up they will start asking us to pay extra for things we DO want? 60 bucks for a game and then 20 bucks for multiplayer maps 5 dollars for a new character, so on and so on.
So what's worse, getting an A+ game and wishing you could get a new character/maps but it never happens or getting an A+ game with a THE OPTION TO BUY a weekly new character/map available for a few bucks?

I dont see a huge problem. If the game is great then and the content is great it's a win/win.

Otherwise either will rot on the shelf.

Top Bottom