• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kameo Christmas Suprise - $$ Downloadable Content!

PhatSaqs

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
does it ask you to verify the credit card or something?
The card is already validated if you've used it to sign up for XBL.

It will show a purchase confirmation screen and display the last 4 of your card.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
PhatSaqs said:
The card is already validated if you've used it to sign up for XBL.

It will show a purchase confirmation screen and display the last 4 of your card.

so there is nothing to protect against kiddies racking up a huge bill ?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
This sort of thing is a pretty good argument for PC gaming and user created content. Or a harbinger of its death, however you like to see it.

Du2andal

Banned
You can go into system settings and turn off the ability for little timmy to buy points. Setting that access is also a required step in initial setup.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Musashi Wins! said:
This sort of thing is a pretty good argument for PC gaming and user created content. Or a harbinger of its death, however you like to see it.
Hasn't there been talk from MS about slotting user created content into the Marketplace, allowing users to charge marketplace points for their creations?

Speevy

Banned
Kameo was free for me, so any bit of content they add to make up for the flawed controls in the game has my interest.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Here's a crazy idea. If it seems like it's not worth $$$ to you DON'T BUY IT.

Oh and Christmas Nights FTW.

Matlock

Banned
Is this going to be true downloadable content, or will it just unlock something on the disk (a la quite a few Xbox DLC's)?

I'd pay a couple bucks to be able to play through the whole game in that outfit other than the regular green one. If you think the outfit is lame, here's a tip: Don't buy it. :)

Speevy

Banned
Someone will eventually come up with a way to update everyone's hard drive with all the downloadable content via a burned CD.

monkeyrun

jetjevons said:
Here's a crazy idea. If it seems like it's not worth $$$ to you DON'T BUY IT.

Oh and Christmas Nights FTW.
this is GAF, we don't work this way.

if we don't like it, we bitch about it and make fun of people who like it.

I know, sad but true

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
One does not have to buy it. If people want to buy these sort of things, let them. If it leads to more things that some people want to buy, let them do that to. It's not "harming" the people that aren't buying any of it so why are those people whining? Is it because those people also want all the extra extra content but not want to give something in return? Come on..

Personally I'm not going to buy any christmas costumes, maybe they'll be free after christmas, who knows, and then I'll likely download them like the completist that I am, but I'm not loosing any sleep over not having them now when other people who bought them do..

Matlock

Banned
To the people saying "If you don't want it, don't buy it," you do realize that if people can swallow paying a buck more for a costume change, that the slippery slope begins to run and eventually we'll get nickel and dimed to death on features and patches for software with a original MSRP of $60? :p

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
chigiri said:
One does not have to buy it. If people want to buy these sort of things, let them. If it leads to more things that some people want to buy, let them do that to. It's not "harming" the people that aren't buying any of it so why are those people whining? Is it because those people also want all the extra extra content but not want to give something in return? Come on..

Personally I'm not going to buy any christmas costumes, maybe they'll be free after christmas, who knows, and then I'll likely download them like the completist that I am, but I'm not loosing any sleep over not having them now when other people who bought them do..

Uh, by supporting shitty content like this they are telling publishers "we dont care if you nickle and dime us for shit". That DOES hurt the people who dont buy this crap.

I want Joanna Dark in that suit!

You do realize PDZ is a fps right?

Jeff-DSA

chigiri said:

It's not about that. It's about devs INTENTIONALLY LEAVING OFF CONTENT TO SELL IT A FEW DAYS OR WEEKS LATER AT A COST. If gamers start buying this stuff, devs will keep pulling this scam off. If you don't want intentionally unfinished games for $50 or $60, you should should be upset too.

Look at Ridge Racer 6. We all know that content was complete before launch but held back to make more money through microtransactions. It's BS, pure and simple.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
sp0rsk said:
Uh, by supporting shitty content like this they are telling publishers "we dont care if you nickle and dime us for shit". That DOES hurt the people who dont buy this crap.

If they nickel and dime us for shit we don't even buy, how does that hurt us? Just because there's extra, non-required, shit available for your bought functional happy product, that you don't want in the first place, you still don't have to buy it.

And yes, I know RR6 had DLC's almost finished when the game shipped, but I'm not going to buy that either so. :lol

Odysseus

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
It's not about that. It's about devs INTENTIONALLY LEAVING OFF CONTENT TO SELL IT A FEW DAYS OR WEEKS LATER AT A COST. If gamers start buying this stuff, devs will keep pulling this scam off. If you don't want intentionally unfinished games for $50 or $60, you should should be upset too.

Look at Ridge Racer 6. We all know that content was complete before launch but held back to make more money through microtransactions. It's BS, pure and simple.

So.... don't buy it. This is a hobby, not a crack addiction.

Speevy

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:

Well how long should they wait? Because more content at a later date is an inherently good idea.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
chigiri said:
If they nickel and dime us for shit we don't even buy, how does that hurt us? Just because there's extra, non-required, shit available for your bought functional happy product, that you don't want in the first place, you still don't have to buy it.

Because the more its accepted the less they will give us to begin with.

Matlock

Banned
chigiri said:

Industry trends. I dunno what games you play, but this has far more reaching circumstances than a halfassed Rare game.

ninge

Look at it another way.. how will you feel if games on xbox360 charge for this extra content and then those same games ship with that content on the other platforms?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
who gives a shit about Skins & useless junk, i'd much rather that stuff gets shoved on marketplace after release if it means the game isnt held back to bug test it.

If they shove they cut from PDZ because of lack of time (game modes, 50 player, whatever) on maketplace for $$ then i'll be annoyed. Crap like Christmas skins isnt worth getting worked over.

ninge

Ghost - problem is that it DOESNT save on QA time because you still have to code the support for this extra content into the game to start with... unless you are expecting to get a replacement executable for each new piece of content? not happening...

Speevy

Banned
ninge said:
Look at it another way.. how will you feel if games on xbox360 charge for this extra content and then those same games ship with that content on the other platforms?

That's never going to happen.

This is Xbox Live, not Nintendo Connectivity.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
sp0rsk said:
Because the more its accepted the less they will give us to begin with.

Don't buy the crappy downloadable content, problem solved. :)

I'm by no means supporting the idea of these possible industry trends, I'm not buying meaningless crappy downloadable content. :)

ninge

That's never going to happen.

This is Xbox Live, not Nintendo Connectivity.

err.. WTF are you talking about? How many connectivity games shipped on other platforms? none at all? yeah. go away crazy man.

what im talking about is things like paying extra for the cars in RR6 only to have them given away free when the ps3 version hits. Would that still be ok? Sure there is already stuff like this (see RE4 gamecube vs PS2) but it still stings a bit that we might be expected to pay $60 + extras only on the xbox.. no other platform has this kind of marketplace yet!

Speevy

Banned
ninge said:
err.. WTF are you talking about? go away crazy man.

what im talking about is things like paying extra for the cars in RR6 only to have them given away free when the ps3 version hits. Would that still be ok?

By then, the cars will be free anyway. Launch game, remember?

Odysseus said:
So.... don't buy it. This is a hobby, not a crack addiction.

I agree, I can't believe people are having heart attacks over this, we knew it was coming. A stupid thing like selling extra costumes isn't a big deal. Realize that if people are willing to pay, people will supply extra content, if not, they won't, and there is very little anyone can do about it. All the bitching about EA doesn't seem to stop them does it? If it's helps to get it off your chest, fine, but it's not the end of the gaming world or something. I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but it's not gonna shatter the industry..

BTW, same thing happens in the movie industry all the time. I assume everyone has seen the "special edition" dvd's where you have to pay extra for extra content (including re-released "director's cuts" and remastered SuperBit editions...)

ninge said:

This is pure speculation that has nothing to do with this, if it did happen obviously that would be a bigger deal...

dorio

Banned
Matlock said:
To the people saying "If you don't want it, don't buy it," you do realize that if people can swallow paying a buck more for a costume change, that the slippery slope begins to run and eventually we'll get nickel and dimed to death on features and patches for software with a original MSRP of $60? :p
Well, if you want the industry to survive something has to be done to offset the rising development costs of games. If you prefer that the industry goes belly up than fine but don't complain about developers trying to make money for their work. You can play Kameo just fine without her being dressed in a Santa outfit.

Joseph Merrick said:
Have some pity. They're selling you the console at a loss. Come on!!!

Ok so... if they sold it at a profit for say $700 you would then complain how much of idiots they are and that they are ripping off the consumer. So to allow themseleves as a business to sell the product at a lower cost to the consumer they take a lose. Now they need to make up for this lose by getting a return on their investment. Would higher priced games be a solution? Of course not then people would complain how horrible they are about raising the prices of games. So game prices stay fairly close to the same. So what do they do they offer OPTIONAL extra purchases. Yes this christmas outfit is ridiculous to pay for, but you DON'T have to pay for it and whether you have it or not, will not affect the game play or enjoyment of the game. So complaining about something that you are not going to purchase anyway that will have no affect on the game itself is rather ridiculous. So thus the people that choose to purchase this item for a small fee allows the company to make money and actually continue to put out a good quality product.

Really why doesn't this topic spand to more companies, cellphones perhaps. They have the exact same business setup. Sony and Nintendo will be smart to implement this system to, the way the industry made money is changing, maybe like the record industry it is time for us to adapt or try to find a better solution. I don't see anything in all this complaining that provides a solution.

ninge

it might be pure speculation but the reason im speculating is that none of the other platforms have a marketplace equivelent so either the additional content wont appear on those platforms (great for xbox owners) or it will be given away on those platforms (bad) or alternatively it will become free on the marketplace and given away free on the other platforms (bad if you are suckered into buying it before it becomes free later)

Top Bottom