• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kameo Christmas Suprise - $$ Downloadable Content!

PhatSaqs

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
why waste time doing that when they can make even more money by develping a game with all the content at one time, then release 85% on disk and 'time release' say .. 15% of it while moving on to developing the next game and having minimal staff for any QA issues?
Ever heard of a deadline?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
Ever heard of a deadline?

All said content could be created before the deadline, and their model could be designed to easily remove items they want people to pay for before shipping. It can be done, and quite easily if the developer is smart enough.

Jesiatha

Dr_Cogent said:
Actually no, it doesn't. There are two distinct products.

There isn't one version that you have to milk up to the other.

You can buy the one you want, then be done with it.

Just like you can buy the deluxe version of a certain game and get the useless extras that float your boat, or not. Two distinct products.

How about the music industry? If you want all the songs from an artist you need to buy the album plus multiple singles (often including multiple singles for the same song with different b-sides).

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Jesiatha said:
How about the music industry? If you want all the songs from an artist you need to buy the album plus multiple singles (often including multiple singles for the same song with different b-sides).

Not all artists do this:

30pic22.jpg

skip

Jesiatha said:

to counter -- when you buy an album, you are buying the entire album as the artist/band envisioned it. as opposed to them selling 9 of the 10 tracks on CD and then saying "to get the full experience, buy the final track."

skip said:
to counter -- when you buy an album, you are buying the entire album as the artist/band envisioned it. as opposed to them selling 9 of the 10 tracks on CD and then saying "to get the full experience, buy the final track."

Not entirely true, for example both Usher and Mariah Carey had rereleases of there albums that contained more tracks then the original releases.

skip

Kung Foo Kid said:
Not entirely true, for example both Usher and Mariah Carey had rereleases of there albums that contained more tracks then the original releases.

good point. that is shady as well.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The problem with all this, "let the market decide don't speak otherwise" sentiment is that the lowest common denominator usually wins. Especially with media. If the market is the only barometer of what's good in games and their distribution, then let's just say fuck it now and play offal like Kingdom Hearts III with downloadable Goofy characters.

What's shitty about this model is that it doesn't seem to be saving us much on the front end ($50-60) either.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kung Foo Kid said:

But not everyone does this. There are artists who don't believe in this sort of shit.

Dr_Cogent said:
But not everyone does this. There are artists who don't believe in this sort of shit.

So all developers are evil? Wait there could be developers that don't believe in microtransaction either and won't do it. Or is that crazy talk.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Musashi Wins! said:
The problem with all this, "let the market decide don't speak otherwise" sentiment is that the lowest common denominator usually wins. Especially with media. If the market is the only barometer of what's good in games and their distribution, then let's just say fuck it now and play offal like Kingdom Hearts III with downloadable Goofy characters.

What's shitty about this model is that it doesn't seem to be saving us much on the front end ($50-60) either.
Yep.

Rhindle

Whether or not the original game (or CD or whatever) is "complete" is subjective and arbitrary. You could argue that artists should hold back on releasing an album until all B-sides are recorded and included, and all live versions are recorded and included and all remixes are recorded and included. And why should they release a new album the next year, they should have waited until that content was recorded and released it as a double album for cheaper.

And SteveMeister's company should never have released that 150-hour game a few years ago, and then released two 50 hour expansion packs. The original game was obviously gimped, and a complete rip-off of naive consumers who didn't know better. They should have held back the game for two years and not cheated us like the greedy bastards they are.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Perhaps MS/Rare is being a teeny weeny bit guilty of bad timing in releasing paid-for content less than two weeks after the game comes out.

Spending a few months after launch creating some new levels, maybe thats worth paying for. But if its available online a week after the game goes on sale (and before its out in Europe), thats taking the piss.

Although of course you could already have the levels and just sit on them for 6 months and we wouldn't know, but its the principal :p

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kung Foo Kid said:
So all developers are evil? Wait there could be developers that don't believe in microtransaction either and won't do it. Or is that crazy talk.

Who ever said that "all" devs will do this?

I am sure some will.

None should.

Rhindle said:
Whether or not the original game (or CD or whatever) is "complete" is subjective and arbitrary. You could argue that artists should hold back on releasing an album until all B-sides are recorded and included, and all live versions are recorded and included and all remixes are recorded and included. And why should they release a new album the next year, they should have waited until that content was recorded and released it as a double album for cheaper.

Yeah, um - that example really sucks IMO.

IJoel

I think it's a pity they are coming out of the gate so strongly focused on penny-pinching. I think there should be some free downloadable content as well. I wouldn't mind it if there were, say, 4 packs with 1 being free and the rest being sold.

What bothers me the most is that they are charging for those gamercards/themes that are nothing but screenshots that could easily be done if the system allowed you to take an in-game snapshot and use it as such.

skip said:

What about all the b-sides? They aren't considered part of the album, yet it's bonus material that can be accessed by paying for a single.

Dr_Cogent said:
Who ever said that "all" devs will do this?

I am sure some will.

None should.

Yeah, um - that example really sucks IMO.

That is what one would inherit as your opinion from your response to the previous statement. If that isn't your opinion then your previous statement was kinda uneeded and useless.

jedimike

That's it... I'm buying the Kameo Pack. I don't even have Kameo, but I want developers to know that I am willing to pay for extra crap. I want extra cars, levels, characters, maps, and even an outfit or two. Make it worthwhile and I'll buy it. Buy the guy whoever made the Santa outfit a candy bar and soda for me with my $2 contribution.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
jedimike said:
That's it... I'm buying the Kameo Pack. I don't even have Kameo, but I want developers to know that I am willing to pay for extra crap. I want extra cars, levels, characters, maps, and even an outfit or two. Make it worthwhile and I'll buy it. Buy the guy whoever made the Santa outfit a candy bar and soda for me with my $2 contribution.

I doubt the actual artist that came up with the content will ever see an extra dime.

Is it actually known that this item costs 2 bucks?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
jedimike said:

:lol

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not surprised by this, nor do I think it's something to get quite up in arms about (I'll be pissed when people offer single levels or single maps/cars for points), but what can you do. I don't think Sony is gonna be left off this trail either, especially if they ever expect to make money.

Allard already stated Microsoft isn't willing to lose all this money, because they did it with Xbox and they had a tough time. I expect Sony will hop on board, and Nintendo to some degree. It's a way to make money, or have devs make money, or whatever. And devs like that, and companies like that.

I won't support this, though. THIS type of content is purely garbage.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kung Foo Kid said:
At least he will get to keep his job.

How do you figure that making a Santa suit is somehow job security?

Amir0x said:
I won't support this, though. THIS type of content is purely garbage.

Good. If more people have that sort of attitude, it can nip this shit in the bud.

Sadly, I doubt most will have that attitude.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Rhindle said:
Whether or not the original game (or CD or whatever) is "complete" is subjective and arbitrary.
Of course it is - every content provider ships to retail products that they hope to convince the consumer are complete enough to be bought on their own merits. But that doesn't mean that a common denominator doesn't establish itself over time, in terms of certain expecations of what, as a bare minimum, defines "complete".

Taking your example, at what point would we cross that line if we take the 150 hr game that Stevemeister's company originally produced and started shaving off 5-10 hr increments to be sold as expansion packs available on a monthly basis, while still selling what's left of the core game at a premium price?

Dr_Cogent said:

How do you figure that making a Santa suit is somehow job security?

Good. If more people have that sort of attitude, it can nip this shit in the bud.

Sadly, I doubt most will have that attitude.

The response was in regards to the statement that the artist would not see any of this extra money being made. Please don't take my responses out of context.

terrene

Banned
Leondexter said:
Nope. Your friends could buy shit on your card while you're in the bathroom...
How does the multiple-profiles thing play into this? One 360 can have like a dozen users with their own settings / Live account, each with their own profile. Can one profile restrict another's activity? If one profile buys extra content, is it available to all the others on the machine?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kung Foo Kid said:
The response was in regards to the statement that the artist would not see any of this extra money being made. Please don't take my responses out of context.

I didn't take it out of context at all. What you said made it sound like he's keeping his job because he made the Santa suit.

terrene said:
How does the multiple-profiles thing play into this? One 360 can have like a dozen users with their own settings / Live account, each with their own profile. Can one profile restrict another's activity? If one profile buys extra content, is it available to all the others on the machine?

Good question.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
If this pack redecorated all the levels and made them festive (i.e. Christmas lights in towns, wreaths, snowmen, etc.), I'll be all over it for $2. But as far as I can tell, it's just character skins so meh...

It would also be cool to turn the trolls into Grinches.

puebla

this is easily one of the stupidest threads i've seen on this board.

it's a christmas costume.

if u don't want it, don't buy it.

terrene

Banned
Jesiatha said:
Or DVDs, for that matter. Wizard of Oz, for example, has like 4 different versions.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
puebla said:
this is easily one of the stupidest threads i've seen on this board.

it's a christmas costume.

if u don't want it, don't buy it.

This is easily the dumbest post I've seen in this thread. The issue isn't about just this costume, but everything that it embodies and represents in the future.

Dr_Cogent said:
This is easily the dumbest post I've seen in this thread. The issue isn't about just this costume, but everything that it embodies and represents in the future.

Here's the end truth about this though....if it sells it will continue and the industry will change. If not, then you have nothing to worry about.

No amount of protesting online will affect this.

~l2e

puebla

Dr_Cogent said:
The issue isn't about just this costume, but everything that it embodies and represents in the future.
it's $2 for a costume pack. it's really not a big deal.

as far as the future, if they start trying to sell u characters, or new levels or whatever, then u could complain, but until then stfu.

ur crying over nothing.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
puebla said:
it's $2 for a costume pack. it's really not a big deal.

as far as the future, if they start trying to sell u characters, or new levels or whatever, then u could complain, but until then stfu.

ur crying over nothing.

Hmmm am I?

2 dollars. The game costs 50. Thats 1/25 the price. Do you actually think that with all the content that is in the game, that this little extra Santa suit warrants 1/25 the price of the actual game? Is the Santa suit 1/25th of all the content in the game? There are only 25 other art assets in the game?

Put it in perspective. It's not worth 2 dollars.

Worry about yourself. These are internet discussion boards. If everyone agreed on all of this shit, there would be nothing to discuss, so you can keep your STFU.

Future

Price is key. I can't see how anyone would be upset about paying 99 cents for an extra costume or whatever, that would not have appeared in the game otherwise.

Often a developer wont have time to add everything to the game that they want to before release. I'm not talking about bugs that don't get fixed (even though that happens too) but legitimate content like levels, costumes, etc. It's not about intentionally leaving stuff out to rip off gamers, it's about simply not having enough time. And usually this extra content will never be seen. If it is, it's seen in a rerelease of the game (like is done with movies/albums)

I don't see the issue for giving devs incentive to add these little extras if they want for a price. Some devs may not (just like PC devs add more multiplayer maps for free, or Itagaki gave away the hurrricane packs for free), but if some devs do...who cares? Don't buy it. I work for game studio now, and I know we would have spent time on extra shit if there was a worthwhile way of distributing it. But since there was not, and we didn't have time to finish what we had before release..no one will see it

That said, this Kameo thing sounds stupid :p. An Xmas gift that you pay for. Woo. And the fact that Rare is first party doesn't help. It is a true test to see if they can make money off this sort of thing though. M$ finding worth with a truly worthless addition. My guess: people will buy it if it's 99 cents. People buy even more worthless shit for more like ringtones, cellphone wallpaper, etc.

I think some of you are not thinking about what good can come from this. Yes we all know developers can hold out things and make you pay extra to get them, but what about the flip side. Say a developer releases a sports game with just the main game available and charges $20 to $30. Then they make all the extras available for download. If you want franchise mode, create a player, online play, etc. you buy what you want. This could help the industry, games will be more competitively priced, casual players will be happy spending a lot less money to play the "main" game and not all the extras they weren't going to touch anyway. This is just one example; don't beat me up about it.

sportzhead said:
I think some of you are not thinking about what good can come from this. Yes we all know developers can hold out things and make you pay extra to get them, but what about the flip side. Say a developer releases a sports game with just the main game available and charges $20 to $30. Then they make all the extras available for download. If you want franchise mode, create a player, online play, etc. you buy what you want. This could help the industry, games will be more competitively priced, casual players will be happy spending a lot less money to play the "main" game and not all the extras they weren't going to touch anyway. This is just one example; don't beat me up about it.

Thank you, 5 pages in and a person with a possible benefiting solution. The fact is this is not going go away as much as some you want. So help find beneficial solutions to the cause then fighting a losing battle. Lets stop arguing and find some concrete ways to make this turn in are favour.

Mashing

sportzhead said:

I don't think that will happen. All that will do is create consumer confusion (and consumers are a dumb breed). Each person would have to have the same multiplayer components to play together. And then you have the mindset that people are paying for half-assed/incomplete games when they can buy for that same $30 a complete game on PSP or DS or whathaveyou. I think that'd be a terrible direction for the industry to go.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Letter to Elise said:
And really the thread should have been ended with it.

That would only be convenient for the ones bent over ready for insertion.

Basically we have explained how that approach won't do anything. If the market embraces it, they will continue to further exploit the situation.

Dr_Cogent said:
That would only be convenient for the ones bent over ready for insertion.

Basically we have explained how that approach won't do anything. If the market embraces it, they will continue to further exploit the situation.

Exactly what I said earlier. And again the thread should have ended. :)

Letter to Elise said:
Here's the end truth about this though....if it sells it will continue and the industry will change. If not, then you have nothing to worry about.

No amount of protesting online will affect this.

~l2e

Top Bottom