• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya concerned that Nintendo isn't marketing Wonderful 101 much at all

I should add that I also think wearing Hawaiian shirts with DBZ characters is not cool, regardless of what kids reading manga all day at Borders in the local mall say. :p

But hey, if you think Viewtiful Joe is an appealing character you're probably not the person who needs a great ad campaign to take notice of W101.

the cheesyness is what gives the game even more punch. same with bayo
It's a very niche appeal. More people are turned off by loud, kitschy, over the top cheese-fests than are drawn to them. If your took away the great execution of the actual gameplay elements from those games I doubt many people would be drawn to the characters strictly on their merit as appealing personalities.

NotLiquid

Viewtiful Joe as a character was is in a lot of aspects someone that the audience was supposed to relate to. A character like that can easily speak to the innate fantasy of having superpowers. He's a regular geek who stumbles upon a situation granting him awesome powers but instead of doing what he's supposed to do and rescue his girl, half of the campaign is a result of him deciding to show off and tackle bad guys.

I've said this earlier in the thread but in this particular era where nerd-culture is dominating the entertainment media there is no way there's not a sizable audience for games like Viewtiful Joe, and to that extent, The Wonderful 101. Thanks to Marvel and DC the super hero craze is at an all time high, not just in terms of movies, but also merchandising. TW101 can appeal to everyone with the cartoon-like yet action packed art style, awesome-looking and deep game play, as well as multiplayer, and the fact that it's in the super hero genre which isn't necessarily just a tiny niche anymore. Kids can easily be drawn in by the cool style and promise of super heroes doing super cool things while the older audience need not feel patronized by the themes and events in it because the game play is engaging and it does everything it can to make the player feel like the coolest thing on earth.

It needs to be marketed as the next big "super hero" thing for video games, complete with the epic music, cinematics and those cheesy trailer lines in the original trailer. This trailer could just get chopped up a bit and then run on TV with the critical bits, especially that final line. You've got a successful advert on your hands, and don't stop there.

From a sales perspective, no...but it's got a very hardcore following, a lot of whom were expecting it at launch and didn't buy a Wii U because the launch window turned into "Launch Year".

$60 is definitely steep, but that's the going rate for games regardless of content.

Lego City Undercover launchprice was 49 dollars. Its sorely a singleplayer game but filled to the brim with content.

Suree, that dosen't mean Pikmin 3 will be 49 aswell but it happened before with Lego City and it can happen again.

I like Bayonetta as a character a lot. The game would lose of its atmosphere if she were any different. She fits the gameplay style that's in Bayonetta- crazy, loud, and over the top. The same applies to Viewtiful Joe to a lesser extent.Now I hope to god they cut down the cutscenes in B2, but I wouldn't want them to change anything about the character.

All this talk about online multiplayer in nintendo games makes me wonder if rayman legends is going to have online multi. Will it? People always say lag is too big of an issue for online multiplayer platforming in games like mario and I honestly don't know whether there's any truth to that.

I agree that SM3DW should definitely have online multiplayer but I can't really think of a comparable platformer that does. Did LBP?

Going back to w101 though, I don't think PG has had too many online multiplayer games either. Just Anarchy Reigns, right? I have no idea why w101 doesn't have an online mode. I don't think it particularly needs one but if it has local multi why not online?

I don't think rayman legends will have online multi, origins didn't, I think lbp did (never played it so not sure) though that has floaty controls I think

NotLiquid

I don't think rayman legends will have online multi, origins didn't, I think lbp did (never played it so not sure) though that has floaty controls I think

If Legends had online multiplayer we'd have known of it by now. It was supposed to have it at first (along with the removed NFC features) but didn't make the cut.

The only kind of incredibly dynamic platformer/game I can think of that had online was Splosion Man, but even then the co-op in that game was so fucking precise that it was impossible to play without communication. It depends on how the game is designed as far as I'm concerned since some compromise would have to be dealt with depending on it's genre.

Tenki

Lego City Undercover launchprice was 49 dollars. Its sorely a singleplayer game but filled to the brim with content.

Suree, that dosen't mean Pikmin 3 will be 49 aswell but it happened before with Lego City and it can happen again.

In Europe, Pikmin 3 is 49€, which is 49$ if we use the 1$=1€ conversion. Games usually come out at 60€ or even 70€.

Wii games were 45-49€ iirc.

I enjoy Platinum's work but it seems like every game sans MGR has bombed and prospects aren't looking good for their next two games. I guess Nintendo is paying for development, otherwise I don't know why they would go Wii U exclusive with 101.

It's a horrible move by Nintendo to put this game anywhere near GTAV in the US. The massive wii u drought is about to end with pikmin, if they released W101 first befor pikmin it would generate excitement simply cause its the FIRST big new wii u game in months.

But by releasing pikmin 3 first all the attention goes to pikmin. Very one buys pikmin then a few weeks later another RTS looking kind of game comes out, is anyone going to care after playing pikmin. NO. It's so stupid.

Nintendo sending it out to die.

Frodo

Quick, in two sentences, tell me what Wonderful 101 is.

Not even trying to be funny; this is the first I've heard of this game.

Action game from the same director of RE2, Devil May Cry, Okami and Bayonetta, you control a groups of characters that can transform into weapons and other things to fight the baddies. Expect the over the top action and presentation combined with the sense of humour and self parody usually found in Platinum Games.

DangerStepp

The name makes me think of a 1st level college course simulator where you 'study' wonderful little pink and purple things and float on clouds blowing bubbles with your WiiMii
'Wonderful 101' is the most Japanese sounding name for a game this side of 'Kingdom Hearts 365 1/23/41' or whatever.

it's a superhero game where you do bad ass shit. made by platinum games

Action game from the same director of RE2, Devil May Cry, Okami and Bayonetta, you control a groups of characters that can transform into weapons and other things to fight the baddies. Expect the over the top action and presentation combined with the sense of humour and self parody usually found in Platinum Games.
Annnnnd I'm sold.

WiiU only?

DangerStepp

I read the full OP and spot checked over the 11 pages @ 100 ppp.

Then my question materialized and from that point, I was curious as whether it was it exclusive to WiiU, 3DS, or non-Nintendo later on.

My question was answered because people were nice (thanks, guys)--unfortunately this will only exist on a console I'll never own.

Flayer

I've known about the existence of a game called Wonderful 101 for ages now but it's telling that until reading this thread and looking it up on Wikipedia I had no idea what the game entailed at all.

What about now Kamiya?

A Dedicated Nintendo Direct
Extended trailers
Magazine Ads
2 TV CM in Japan thus far.
Social Media

A DEMO simultaneously released across all regions -- the first for a Nintendo first party console title.

batbeg

What about now Kamiya?

A Dedicated Nintendo Direct
Extended trailers
Magazine Ads
2 TV CM in Japan thus far.
Social Media

A DEMO simultaneously released across all regions -- the first for a Nintendo first party console title.
I'd almost think Kamiya had been telling except that's not at all what Kamiya is about.

Chindogg

Annnnd I'm out.

Bummer.

The reason why no matter what Nintendo or 3rd parties do, Wii U will probably fail.

No one wants to buy the console over some preconceived notion that its "shit." Chicken or egg? Fuck it. There could be 20 games right now and very few will touch it for whatever excuse.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Kamiya would be right to say that, as I've been glued to my tv for days on end, and got nothing on Wonderful 101. Nintendo sucks at marketing. Killing off Nintendo Power (no matter how irksome it had become) proved terrible for the marketing aspect of things.

Before, when I was a wee lad, I would open them Nintendo Powers when I had nothing to do in the book store, I'd read the column like a conditioned sheep, and purchase games that the pages would whisper into my ear.

The yougins nowadays don't have that, instead, they go online, make forum accounts, and start spouting ignorance, or playing call of duty.

Kamiya would be right to say that, as I've been glued to my tv for days on end, and got nothing on Wonderful 101. Nintendo sucks at marketing. Killing off Nintendo Power (no matter how irksome it had become) proved terrible for the marketing aspect of things.

Before, when I was a wee lad, I would open them Nintendo Powers when I had nothing to do in the book store, I'd read the column like a conditioned sheep, and purchase games that the pages would whisper into my ear.

The yougins nowadays don't have that, instead, they go online, make forum accounts, and start spouting ignorance, or playing call of duty.

The "youngins" don't have magazines because they stopped reading them, as much as I loved Nintendo Power, it's just not worth it for them to run a magazine. These directs probably do way more for Nintendo than that magazine did in recent years, even though both are examples of preaching to the choir.

Josh7289

Totally unrelated to the topic at hand, but how did you get the Japanese text in those tweets from Kamiya so crisp and clear? Windows XP and no ClearType?

The reason why no matter what Nintendo or 3rd parties do, Wii U will probably fail.

No one wants to buy the console over some preconceived notion that its "shit." Chicken or egg? Fuck it. There could be 20 games right now and very few will touch it for whatever excuse.

There are already more than 20 Wii U games out there, the problem is that most of them are shitty ports and such with little for the Wii U to call its own. Most people will not buy a console for only one game, especially a console with little to no third party support.

That said, I'll be buying my copy of TW101 but not a Wii U yet.

What about now Kamiya?

A Dedicated Nintendo Direct (Oh..such a great thing! it had like 2k views on UStream)
Extended trailers (Welcome to....most games?)
Magazine Ads (-.-)
2 TV CM in Japan thus far. (-.-)
Social Media (-.-)

To little to late, Bayonetta received much more marketing from Sega and even Vanquish got an Action live trailer.

If this pathetic display is the best Nintendo can do for the most expensive PG game, then PG and Kamiya have a big problem for Bayonetta 2 too.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
There are already more than 20 Wii U games out there, the problem is that most of them are shitty ports and such with little for the Wii U to call its own. Most people will not buy a console for only one game, especially a console with little to no third party support.

That said, I'll be buying my copy of TW101 but not a Wii U yet.

most of them arent shitty ports, most of them are fine, however side by side they arent as optimized as the other versions which could lead to more framerate dips than the other versions or some more popins, this is why ppl arent buying the wiiU, you guys dont know a decent port from a shitty one, epic mickey 2 was a shitty port, call of duty black ops can do better things in certain areas than the other versions while might have occasional frame drops more

DangerStepp

If there were 20 good games that played to the systems strengths then it wouldn't be in the rut that it is and I would gladly buy it.

I was just recently blessed with a 3DS XL and am happy. Why? Because the library justifies the price and it was the right time for me.

There is nothing selling me on the WiiU at this moment in time and that seems to be the general concensus for a majority of consumers. A year or two from now? Let's wait and see and we'll talk then.

Hiltz

I don't see what's so terrible about Wonderful 101's marketing with the exception of a TV ad and Nintendo not going to Tokyo Game Show. I'm not sure why Nintendo apparently won't have a TV ad planned for it. We know that 101 was an expensive game to make according to Kamiya, costing more than 1.5x more than the original Bayonetta. NOA gave niche titles like Sin & Punishment 2 a tv ad, so why not Wonderful 101 ?

In addition to other promotional campaigns already mentioned, Nintendo's brought the title to multiple gaming events such as fall 2012's Wii U software world tour and 2012's Pax Prime, 2013's GDC , Pax East , Comic-Con, E3 and this month's Gamescom. Nintendo also has a twitter campaign and Platinum has its weekday blog updates too.

Top Bottom