• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya no longer wants to make Star Fox, explains why

LordGouda

I though that was 4chan
Used to be, until it just became a haven for 12 year olds thinking they're so edgy and stuff.

I feel rather sad for him. IIRC, he said in the past that it would be an honour to make a Starfox game. That isn't the same as saying "I want to make a Starfox game", even if he had that desire within. It is important to learn and understand the difference between the two. He will be well aware that such a choice isn't in his hands, and his responses to other tweets in the past will reflect that. Once you differentiate, then forget your thoughts about Nintendo, and realise that in the games development profession, to make Nintendo games in this industry, to have "I made exclusive games for Nintendo consoles" on your CV is a developer's honour and privilege.

It's deeply unfortunate that a man had been heckled to a point of total discouragement and disillusion. If it is true that he wanted to make it one day, fans must realise that it is a right he would have to earn. Then there is the other side of this: Time and time again, a number of people have cried for 'New IPs' on Nintendo consoles, and he's just created one - The Wonderful 101. Now that you have it, you're bothering him about something which isn't his choice. You're asking him to do something with an existing IP, and given that a new one has just released, I can see how that can feel a smack in the teeth.

But there is something much deeper-rooted than all of this, and it's showing in responses in this thread. There is a tendency of some 'gamers', primarily 'Western' ones, to mock and casually insult Japanese developers and some of the expressions they have used before. Perhaps a casual racism, masquerading as 'banter and sarcasm', and it's rotten. I can see how some developers and other figures can find it discouraging. It needs to stop.

Calling him the Japanese Phil Fish is a crock of BS. Kamiya's actions don't even compare to the douchebaggery of Phil Fish. Phil Fish trashed Japanese games. He tarred the lot with the same brush. He trashed Japanese culture. All in the same breath. In doing so, he was downright disrespectful to many accomplished figures in the industry, in his profession. He showed no sense of remorse for those remarks, and understandably, it rubbed many people up in the wrong way. Note how not everything he said was turned into an Internet meme, and it was seemingly alright to do this. Note how when anybody spoke out against it, they were dismissed as 'probably butthurt Nintendo fans', and apologists lined up in their droves to defend it. Also, when the shoe was on the other foot, note how many turned around to sympathise with him - they say he threw a tantrum by quitting, but in the same breath, they expressed sympathies. Other comments he made made him come across as very self-entitled, and note how when he went on his tirades, he wasn't harassed by Internet users in anywhere the same way - little or nothing happened to trigger it. But when he was 'Mr. Angry', there was a real sense of acceptance about it. "He's a prick, but...". So, he would get a pass.

Now that Kamiya says he doesn't wish to make Starfox, it doesn't surprise me that many are quick to put him in the same bracket. In doing this, they give Phil Fish and his actions some sort of justification. They say "But he did it, too!!", when they are nothing alike, and the intentions are far from the same. By quoting everything he said in Internet Meme fashion, they paint Kamiya (the more accomplished of the two, by the way) as a crazed caricature. The responses are very different, and it's actually unbelievable that few can, or will see this.

You see this type of practice all the time on here:

"Please Understand" - Here, a man takes accountability for events. He doesn't blame customers, but rather empathises. Yet these two words are thrown about to paint him as incompetent by people who couldn't do a better job.

"Do You Eat Shit?" - Not the first person to say it, and not the only thing he says. Yet this is thrown around as if it's his response to everything - let's forget that he puts up with insults in the first place, then paint him as 'Mr. Angry' all the time.

"Use your own brain", "Fuck Off" - Note how only when he says it does it become a dumb Internet meme.

"Score, score, score", "Sales, sales, sales" - Since when have people cared so much about sales!? Your favourite music bands don't top the charts all the time, but it doesn't make you enjoy their songs any less - Also, review scores are opinions, and opinions are not facts. Notice how the validity of that point gets buried, because 'gamers' seem more obsessed with portraying him as that 'Mr. Angry' figure.

"I'll block Mom/Smash idiots" - Forget that he was being harassed. He should always bite his tongue. But if he opens it, he's 'Mr. Angry' again.

"For the nth time, Check my twilog" - If you had read his tweets pre-E3, you would've noticed that he mentioned being very busy over that time. Also, the eyes of the world were on him, as we were going to see Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, and he was going to meet up with legendary Nintendo figures. I imagine that it can be quite an overwhelming experience for a man who grew up as a Nintendo fan. One of many boyhood dreams being fulfilled. Also, he's not a God, he's human. But instead of empathising, his comments were portrayed in a negative light, ignoring what he was on the receiving end of. It's convenient for them to paint him as 'Mr. Angry', when all one would have to do to find some of those answers is what he asked. I don't see that this is so difficult.

"To Not Buy Idiots" - Let's forget about all the death threats, insults, port-begging and extreme hate from 'gamers' and large sections of the games press over Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 Wii U exclusivity. Let's forget about those who were telling him they won't buy his game, that they hoped it failed, those who trashed the latter because they couldn't draw a line on the GamePad, and the hate he gets on a regular basis for making games, exclusive games for Nintendo consoles. You even see members of NeoGAF wishing those games didn't exist, or worse still, fail, and this is somehow acceptable.

"Next week..." is an actual joke on his part. Here, he's mocking the impatience of 'gamers', and there are also instances where he's used slightly different responses.

Now, this - If you looked at the account which tweeted him the Starfox question, you would see that it consisted of a series of tweets in succession, to a point of trolling. Imagine more people doing that. Everybody has their breaking point. He did not throw a tantrum. He simply said that enough is enough. But Yeah, feel free to keep mocking. Feel free to indulge in your casual racisms and harassment masquerading as 'banter and sarcasm' - No apologies for calling it what it is.
tumblr_inline_mfd3t0Vl061qiv5yk.gif

methodman

Banned
I feel rather sad for him. IIRC, he said in the past that it would be an honour to make a Starfox game. That isn't the same as saying "I want to make a Starfox game", even if he had that desire within. It is important to learn and understand the difference between the two. He will be well aware that such a choice isn't in his hands, and his responses to other tweets in the past will reflect that. Once you differentiate, then forget your thoughts about Nintendo, and realise that in the games development profession, to make Nintendo games in this industry, to have "I made exclusive games for Nintendo consoles" on your CV is a developer's honour and privilege....
Excellent post.

Roto13

People acting like that quote in the OP is a Twitter tantrum are going to hurt themselves if they keep stretching like that.

As far as I'm concerned, Kamiya has already demonstrated his inability to make an actual fun rail-shooter, so good.

I don't want him to waste his talent on this shit.

So I guess he pulled over the car he wasn't even driving because the kids wouldn't shut up.

This is similar to that Phil Fish thing. Why can't people just ignore the internet and go on about their business?
As far as I'm concerned, Kamiya has already demonstrated his inability to make an actual fun rail-shooter, so good.

I don't want him to waste his talent on this shit.
kobestare.gif

Tookay

I feel rather sad for him. IIRC, he said in the past that it would be an honour to make a Starfox game. That isn't the same as saying "I want to make a Starfox game", even if he had that desire within. It is important to learn and understand the difference between the two. He will be well aware that such a choice isn't in his hands, and his responses to other tweets in the past will reflect that. Once you differentiate, then forget your thoughts about Nintendo, and realise that in the games development profession, to make Nintendo games in this industry, to have "I made exclusive games for Nintendo consoles" on your CV is a developer's honour and privilege.

It's deeply unfortunate that a man had been heckled to a point of total discouragement and disillusion. If it is true that he wanted to make it one day, fans must realise that it is a right he would have to earn. Then there is the other side of this: Time and time again, a number of people have cried for 'New IPs' on Nintendo consoles, and he's just created one - The Wonderful 101. Now that you have it, you're bothering him about something which isn't his choice. You're asking him to do something with an existing IP, and given that a new one has just released, I can see how that can feel a smack in the teeth.

But there is something much deeper-rooted than all of this, and it's showing in responses in this thread. There is a tendency of some 'gamers', primarily 'Western' ones, to mock and casually insult Japanese developers and some of the expressions they have used before. Perhaps a casual racism, masquerading as 'banter and sarcasm', and it's rotten. I can see how some developers and other figures can find it discouraging. It needs to stop.

Calling him the Japanese Phil Fish is a crock of BS. Kamiya's actions don't even compare to the douchebaggery of Phil Fish. Phil Fish trashed Japanese games. He tarred the lot with the same brush. He trashed Japanese culture. All in the same breath. In doing so, he was downright disrespectful to many accomplished figures in the industry, in his profession. He showed no sense of remorse for those remarks, and understandably, it rubbed many people up in the wrong way. Note how not everything he said was turned into an Internet meme, and it was seemingly alright to do this. Note how when anybody spoke out against it, they were dismissed as 'probably butthurt Nintendo fans', and apologists lined up in their droves to defend it. Also, when the shoe was on the other foot, note how many turned around to sympathise with him - they say he threw a tantrum by quitting, but in the same breath, they expressed sympathies. Other comments he made made him come across as very self-entitled, and note how when he went on his tirades, he wasn't harassed by Internet users in anywhere the same way - little or nothing happened to trigger it. But when he was 'Mr. Angry', there was a real sense of acceptance about it. "He's a prick, but...". So, he would get a pass.

Now that Kamiya says he doesn't wish to make Starfox, it doesn't surprise me that many are quick to put him in the same bracket. In doing this, they give Phil Fish and his actions some sort of justification. They say "But he did it, too!!", when they are nothing alike, and the intentions are far from the same. By quoting everything he said in Internet Meme fashion, they paint Kamiya (the more accomplished of the two, by the way) as a crazed caricature. The responses are very different, and it's actually unbelievable that few can, or will see this.

"Please Understand" - Here, a man takes accountability for events. He doesn't blame customers, but rather empathises. Yet these two words are thrown about to paint him as incompetent by people who couldn't do a better job.

"Do You Eat Shit?" - Not the first person to say it, and not the only thing he says. Yet this is thrown around as if it's his response to everything - let's forget that he puts up with insults in the first place, then paint him as 'Mr. Angry' all the time.

"Use your own brain", "Fuck Off" - Note how only when he says it does it become a dumb Internet meme.

"Score, score, score", "Sales, sales, sales" - Since when have people cared so much about sales!? Your favourite music bands don't top the charts all the time, but it doesn't make you enjoy their songs any less - Also, review scores are opinions, and opinions are not facts. Notice how the validity of that point gets buried, because 'gamers' seem more obsessed with portraying him as that 'Mr. Angry' figure.

"I'll block Mom/Smash idiots" - Forget that he was being harassed. He should always bite his tongue. But if he opens it, he's 'Mr. Angry' again.

"For the nth time, Check my twilog" - If you had read his tweets pre-E3, you would've noticed that he mentioned being very busy over that time. Also, the eyes of the world were on him, as we were going to see Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, and he was going to meet up with legendary Nintendo figures. I imagine that it can be quite an overwhelming experience for a man who grew up as a Nintendo fan. One of many boyhood dreams being fulfilled. Also, he's not a God, he's human. But instead of empathising, his comments were portrayed in a negative light, ignoring what he was on the receiving end of. It's convenient for them to paint him as 'Mr. Angry', when all one would have to do to find some of those answers is what he asked. I don't see that this is so difficult.

"To Not Buy Idiots" - Let's forget about all the death threats, insults, port-begging and extreme hate from 'gamers' and large sections of the games press over Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 Wii U exclusivity. Let's forget about those who were telling him they won't buy his game, that they hoped it failed, those who trashed the latter because they couldn't draw a line on the GamePad, and the hate he gets on a regular basis for making games, exclusive games for Nintendo consoles. You even see members of NeoGAF wishing those games didn't exist, or worse still, fail, and this is somehow acceptable.

"Next week..." is an actual joke on his part. Here, he's mocking the impatience of 'gamers', and there are also instances where he's used slightly different responses.

Now, this - If you looked at the account which tweeted him the Starfox question, you would see that it consisted of a series of tweets in succession, to a point of trolling. Imagine more people doing that. Everybody has their breaking point. He did not throw a tantrum. He simply said that enough is enough. But Yeah, feel free to keep mocking. Feel free to indulge in your casual racisms and harassment masquerading as 'banter and sarcasm' - No apologies for calling it what it is.

... or maybe the dude isn't mature enough to handle Twitter?

Heyt

Banned
He would be better doing a new Kid Icarus when the brand is still relevant. The starfox boat sailed long ago, nobody cares about those games anymore and they were never too great to begin with. Only Starfox 64 is notable. The rest of the saga is mediocre with a couple of really bad entries.

Nintendo should let Planitum create more Kid Icarus games on 3DS and bring the franchise to the fron with the rest of their flagship IPs. With Sakurai on Smash, Plantinum and Kamiya seems like the only candidate to me.

I wish I was important enough to have a twitter account that lots of people followed. I would make Phil Fish and Kamiya look like...NPR. I would be the world's dumbest tweeter.

mantidor

lol You're really going to argue with me about this? They are both taking their ball home due to what people on the internet are saying.

Why people still think this StarFox game was anything close to being a reality? he's not taking the ball home because there simply isn't one.

zroid

Banned
Let's face reality though, if Nintendo were to actually offer him Star Fox, there is no way in hell he would decline. He's just trying to get people to shaddap already.

Roto13

Why people still think this StarFox game was anything close to being a reality? he's not taking the ball home because there simply isn't one.

Not only is there no ball, but Fish had an actual tantrum (a bunch of them) and retired for making video games. To compare that to Kamiya going "Ugh, nevermind" is just plain stupid.

The ball was his interest in making the game.

Not only is there no ball, but Fish had an actual tantrum (a bunch of them) and retired for making video games. To compare that to Kamiya going "Ugh, nevermind" is just plain stupid.
The comparison is that they both gave up due to people on the internet. How hard is that to understand? What they did was comparable and others here have said the same exact thing. The fact that one flipped out and the ther one simply threw his hands in the air makes no difference.

Roto13

The comparison is that they both gave up due to people on the internet. How hard is that to understand? What they did was comparable and others here have said the same exact thing. The fact that one flipped out and the ther one simply threw his hands in the air makes no difference.

It makes a huge amount of difference, actually. Such a big difference that there's no point in comparing the two situations unless you want to either make Kamiya look like a petulant child or downplay Fish's behaviour.

You see the same nonsense in every Phil Fish Makes an Ass of Himself Again thread. "Oh, but Kamiya does it and everyone likes him! They're exactly the same!"

It makes a huge amount of difference, actually. Such a big difference that there's no point in comparing the two situations unless you want to either make Kamiya look like a petulant child or downplay Fish's behaviour.
So we finally get to the bottom of it and confirm what I've been thinking all along. You obviously have a thing for Kamia in some capacity and take what I said as a personal threat to his character because Fish flipped out and in some people's eyes, acted like a baby and you probably don't like Phil Fish.

Your issue is the way they handled their situations. My comparisons are purley based on the "potential" of both projects squashed thanks to reactions on the internet. That's all. I'm not talking about anything else.

So bottom line, we wont have Fez 2 because people on the internet interacting with the developer and we won't have a Kamiya made Star Fox due to people on the internet interacting with the developer. These are facts that even you cannot deny. And as far as we know, niether one exists or has ever existed.

Jesus fucking christ...

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
He is trolling, he just wants to surprise us with it.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
So he didn't really want to do it to begin with? If it was seriously one of his dream projects it wouldn't matter what people on the internet say. And yes I know, he get's bombarded by shit on twitter constantly. Maybe limit your use of twitter if it affects your creative thought process to this degree?

At least he didn't say he doesn't want to do Takamaru's Ninja Castle anymore. It would be great if Nintendo let him revive it like Sakurai did for Kid Icarus.

Biker19

Banned
You guys should spam him on twitter, worked for the ps4 and drm.

Sony wasn't even going to have DRM inside of the PS4 in the first place.

Amen to this post. All American gamers like Phil Fish needs to grow the fuck up.

JJD

I usually like his games, but seriously fuck Kamiya.

Is he seriously annoyed because people got excited about the possibility of him doing a beloved franchise? Really?

How do you like selling like shit Kamiya? TW101 is a good game but it sold like shit. Bayo is a good game but it sold like shit.

I guess Star Fox could have been a good chance for you to finally ship something that actually mattered. Too bad you don't want to do it anymore.

mantidor

Again, he didn't give up on anything, he was asked a question, he responded, that was the extend of his "interest" in making this hypothetical game that only the person doing the question had in mind.

nbthedude

Now the questions will be "why not?"

k0UcSOM.jpg

Says dude on the internet.

"Oh no, wait, I'm not the internet. The internet is all those OTHER people."

Classic othering/disassociation behavior. I'm tired of games journalist engaging in this stupid "the internet sucks" meme. The internet is people talking to one another. You are on the internet. When you criticize the internet, your statement is as vapid as people who talk about "how people are."

"Oh, you know that's how people are."

No I don't, you are making stupidly broad generalizations that have no focused critique or offer nothing of value.

Stop talking about the "the internet" as some independent entity separate from your own participation and engagement with other people online. It's dumb.

Roto13

So we finally get to the bottom of it and confirm what I've been thinking all along. You obviously have a thing for Kamia in some capacity and take what I said as a personal threat to his character because Fish flipped out and in some people's eyes, acted like a baby and you probably don't like Phil Fish.

Your issue is the way they handled their situations. My comparisons are purley based on the "potential" of both projects squashed thanks to reactions on the internet. That's all. I'm not talking about anything else.

So bottom line, we wont have Fez 2 because people on the internet interacting with the developer and we won't have a Kamiya made Star Fox due to people on the internet interacting with the developer. These are facts that even you cannot deny. And as far as we know, niether one exists or has ever existed.

Jesus fucking christ...

I'll reply some more when you edit the condescending prickishness out of this post.

Is everyone really taking this comment to heart? He was probably just annoyed getting asked about this for the millionth time so it was probably just his way of saying i've answered this question over and over again so fuck off. You don't say something like what he said about Starfox (about wanting to be forced to make it at gunpoint) and then all of the sudden say you don't because someone annoyed you about it.

The two bigger problems are one, we have no idea if Nintendo was satisfied enough with the sales of SF643D to get them thinking about a potential sequel. And two, if they did decide to do another SF, there are plenty of teams Nintendo might consider first (Treasure, Monster, Retro, Q-Games)

Coolwhip

Banned
I have nothing against Kamiya, but why does he spam Twitter so much? All those 2 letter or 1 word answers to dumb questions. What's the point?

weevles

Oh come on, social media, especially Twitter is all about the sound bite, the drive by quip, the Internet meme-ready quote. The anonymous stranger bashing, baiting, and teasing is part of that for better or worse. I can't believe people are both over-analyzing the things these people say much less the reactions and fallout that come after.

akira28

I thought one of the great things about Twitter was getting to communicate with people, and they can just be themselves.

imagine a person who's brain is on fire with anger, rage, hatred, self-hatred, fear, pain, and feels like every second of existence is a curse. You are now talking to someone on the internet.

They're like death-cyborgs with pain implants or something.

Top Bottom