• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya: West/Japan Gap Is Enormous; Horizon, FH3, Days Gone & GOW Caught My eye

I wonder if this will be the generation that finally tips the balance on Japan's relevance in the gaming market. You could argue they were still leaders in game design (in particular Nintendo) last generation but it's starting to feel like the majority of innovations this generation are from Western developers.

It won't tip the balance cuz Western devs have a lot of money to sway the industry but it will probably be the generation where Japan makes a recovery and shows themselves to the public.

The games he mentioned in particular make for good E3 showcases because of the technical and artistic quality.

I was thinking that Japan is catching up this generation.

I think they are catching up in that they are finally starting to realize they can't all make current-gen engines and should instead be using UE4 and the like so they can focus on the content. But Japanese studios definitely are behind in terms of the Western AAA cinematic experiences and overall quality of the worlds. But they are also gaining confidence again that Japanese games can have their own unique style and don't have to copy Western style, and that's a great thing to see again.

I don't think that focusing on mobile last-gen so much helped them in this regard. It stunted their growth and experience as compared with Western studios. But there are some, like MGSV or Zelda, that can be held up to any current Western game. I think in part these successes are coming from creative visions that challenge conventions that Japanese studios are used to. For instance the new Zelda looks from a gameplay perspective very inspired by Western open world games, and yet its personality and perspective is very Japanese and very Nintendo.

For me personally, most of the Western games I find impressive are from indies because I don't like the Naughty Dog style where you feel like the people making it really wanted to be in the film industry instead. One thing that's unfortunate about Japan is there's not really much of an indie scene there, so most of what we get are games from medium to large-sized studios. That limits the kind of creativity and risk-taking we see from Japan that were more the norm in older generations.

On another note, I thought Jean Pierre Kellams (creative producer on Scalebound) had a good insight into why Western boss battles aren't very good:
Jean Pierre Kellams said:
But when you look at our E3 thing, we kind of try to frame the fact that we’re twisting you. So Drew walks up and he says, ‘Wonderful!’ And you’re like, ‘Well, why is he saying wonderful?’ And then the camera pulls back and you realise that this thing is 80 bazillion times bigger than anything you’ve seen before in the game. And that’s the corkscrew, right?

But they [Western developers] wouldn’t want to do that because how does this 80 bazillion times bigger thing get in this cave? Where does this scorpion live? When he runs is there some place that he’s running to?

In other words, he feels Western studios often take themselves and their games too seriously, which can limit the potential for fun.

Alo0oy

Banned
That's funny, with games like Nier, Nioh, & The Last Guardian, I was thinking Japan isn't as bad as some people are saying, especially compared to the last few years.

Idk, there's just as many Japanese games that looks fantastic still. Persona 5, FFXV, DQ Builders, Nioh, and Zelda Best of the Worst. Sure Not all of them are huge open world or next gen bleeding edge graphics but they make up for it in amazing art directions and style.

Ogodei

The games he mentioned in particular make for good E3 showcases because of the technical and artistic quality.

I was thinking that Japan is catching up this generation.

Them finally embracing standardized dev-tools really helped. Being slower to adopt that meant they were doing a lot more work to get to the same place as western devs 5-8 years ago.

Shin-chan

But with that Kellams quote - that's the sort of shit Miyazaki loves to think about and the boss fights in his games are arguably more interesting than Platinums (I'd say definitely with regard to 'giant' sized fights, which are very hit and miss on Platinums end). It's just a Western thing, it's a narrative thing.

Do we have a list of prominent Japanese game makers who haven't expressed similar opinions or who have actually stated otherwise?

I think it is great to hear commentary from Kamiya on the state of games and on what he likes.

On the other hand, it seems like a pretty widely held belief that game development is generally in a much more expansive and evolving state around the world than it is in Japan. Which, if anything, is amazing for the simple fact that the opposite was ever possibly true.

Japan really did a ton for gaming for a long time, but now the rest of the world has taken up the mantle and Japan is an ever shrinking influence because gaming is now something far bigger than any one nation can be responsible for.

HK: Just so there’s no misunderstanding, that’s changed a lot really recently. At work, tons of people are constantly referencing Western games. Lots of people are playing Western games now and I think that it’s very much different from people using that as a stock response. I want to make sure that you don’t misunderstand: it’s not just that I don’t play Western games, I don’t play modern Japanese games either!

That E3 demo shows a dire need for him to play modern Japanese games. Specifically Soulsborne games.

He should see what a fun boss fight looks like.

The Souls games were heavily influenced by Elder Scrolls. The impact Oblivion had was the reason Demon Souls got made.

SCEJ just wanted a game like Oblivion which is why they went to From Soft who did the King's Field and Shadow Tower games.

But that's not what they got. Miyazaki himself had to fervently argue against a first person POV because he, rightfully, thought combat would suffer.

Springy

I very much lean towards japanese games but its hard to argue with him here when talking about tech. Thankfully japanese publishers seem to be embracing UE4 and we are getting some really nice results from that partnership.
Was he referring specifically to technical competency? I got the impression he was speaking more broadly.

Alo0oy

Banned
The Souls games were heavily influenced by Elder Scrolls. The impact Oblivion had was the reason Demon Souls got made.

What? No. Sony wanted an Oblivion clone, FROM didn't, eventually Sony gave up and let FROM do what they wanted.

There's nothing even remotely similar between Demon's Souls and Skyrim/Oblivion. Demon's Souls is actually the game that has influenced a lot of games recently.

Toxi

Banned
That E3 demo shows a dire need for him to play modern Japanese games. Specifically Soulsborne games.

He should see what a fun boss fight looks like.
The Scalebound E3 boss seemed more like Dah'Ren Mohran from Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate than any Western-designed boss.

SCEJ just wanted a game like Oblivion which is why they went to From Soft who did the King's Field and Shadow Tower games.

But that's not what they got. Miyazaki himself had to fervently argue against a first person POV because he, rightfully, thought combat would suffer.

What? No. Sony wanted an Oblivion clone, FROM didn't, eventually Sony gave up and let FROM do what they wanted.

There's nothing even remotely similar between Demon's Souls and Skyrim/Oblivion. Demon's Souls is actually the game that has influenced a lot of games recently.
My bad. All I knew was the starting development of Demon Souls was the result of Sony wanting something similar to Elder Scrolls.
As in, overrated?

The man graced us with DMC, Resident Evil 2, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, etc.

Do you not like at least one of those games?

Crayon

I've always found Oblivion and Demons Souls very comparable. Move, look, sword, shield. Just because Demons Souls isn't copying Oblivion doesn't mean it's not inspired or influenced by it.

That title concerns me.

I feel like the Japanese developers that praise Western game design go on the decline shortly thereafter, especially when they focus on large-budget titles which I do not particularly enjoy.

That's from last year cheater. The 30th anniversary lanyards are a dead giveaway.

Eh, Kamiya has been praising western development for a while. He cited God of War as a big influence on Bayonetta.

Toxi

Banned
I've always found Oblivion and Demons Souls very comparable. Move, look, sword, shield. Just because Demons Souls isn't copying Oblivion doesn't mean it's not inspired or influenced by it.
That's like saying The Legend of Zelda: Skywards Sword is comparable to Oblivion.

That would explain why Scalebound looks like a Kamiya game for Western gamers who dont play Kamiya games. Just erase any semblance of his style and personality in favor of buttrock, multiplayer focus, sandbox, RPG elements...

Planeswalker

Neo Member
Western devs have always had more varied types of games than Japanese.

The difference was in the past, majority of Western games were on the PC while Japanese was on consoles. There was less comparisons between the two back then than today.

Westerns have only been recently releasing games on consoles.

That's why I wasn't much a huge fan of NES or SNES games.

I played mostly PC games (RTS). I felt the gameplay in games like StarCraft, later Valve related games (and mods), etc were (also mods included) were far more varied and interesting than most Japanese console games at the time. I did play Japanese games just for the story but I was never really interested in the gameplay (the gameplay for most console games back then was really basic compared to western PC games at the time).

SC1 BW is still considered one of the most complex and mechanically varied game today. Even a lot of FPS back then were the same.

People like Overwatch but IMO Overwatch doesn't really do anything that new or different compared to TFC (TF 1.5) or Natural Selection (mods of HL1 back then) or even CS mods (I liked the CS Warcraft mod as it added some depth in the game).

The only difference is that Overwatch does do a good job of having those types of gameplay on consoles (TF2 was an attempt but not as great as Overwatch).

Western games have actually gotten worse in mechanics (IMO) than before.

Japanese games on the other hand having slowly been increasing in quality.

For me, it's the opposite as I think Western games (compared to the days of 90s to early 2000s) have actually gotten less interesting to me while Japanese games have changed from being simple in mechanics (maybe with some reflex, pattern memorization, or trial and error gameplay back then) to a bit more depth which makes things more interesting.

I find TFC (HL1 TF) to be mechanically better than TF2 as in TFC there were things like being able to boost yourself with explosives and other things (all classes can do) that isn't present in TF2.

Natural Selection 1 had more depth in its gameplay compared to NS2 (though NS2 got better later but initially, I'd argue NS2 is less interesting in gameplay).

I like Japanese games more nowadays as I think they're catching up in quality and doing different things, while Western games seem to have more simplified mechanics compared to the past.

Even after playing SC2, I still go back to SC1 (the interface is not a big deal to me) because of how fast and smooth the game is compared to SC2. The way units handle in SC2 compared to SC1 is clunky (in SC1, you can do a lot with flying units compared to SC2).

Not saying I don't like new western games; it's more of a defense of Japanese games than anything. As someone who played both Japanese and Western games equally back in the day. I'd say Japanese is doing better than before IMO. For Western games, I usually prefer the classics than the newer games usually.

My bad. All I knew was the starting development of Demon Souls was the result of Sony wanting something similar to Elder Scrolls.

It was but Miyazaki took it in a completely different direction when he came on

4Gamer:
Oh, really? I remember feeling that Armored Core 4 and the sequel Armored Core for Answer felt even more video gamey than previous Armored Core titles, so I guess that was due to your involvement.

Miyazaki:
But with Armored Core for Answer, we were working on that in parallel with Demon’s Souls, so there were quite a few challenges. When Demon’s Souls was in the initial planning stages, and right around the time it was entering the prototype phase, I came on as the director, and at the time, it was a completely different and very difficult project compared to what it ended up becoming.

4Gamer:
Is that so?

Miyazaki:
Yes. One thing I remember was that the camera perspective was completely different.

At the time, the plan was to make it first-person, or more specifically, a game in which you switched between first and third-person perspectives.

4Gamer:
Wow, really?

Miyazaki:
Yeah. At the time, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was a really big deal, and I think SCE wanted a game similar to that.

From my perspective, though, I didn’t think we could compete by taking the same approach as Oblivion, so I wanted to focus more on gameplay elements like battles and exploration,
and had to do a lot to convince everyone that a third-person camera was the way to go.

4Gamer:
What did you say to convince them?

Miyazaki:
I started by explaining the direction of the game. I just mentioned the focus on battles and exploration, and in order to facilitate those, I knew that a locked third-person camera was the best way to go, so I explained my logic.

Whether you take the environment layout, the object and enemy placement, or the back-and-forth action in battle, I knew we couldn’t do our best work unless the camera perspective was set
. Even talking about the multiplayer elements and other facets of gameplay, I believed a third-person perspective was best. I said a lot of stuff like that, and whatever came to mind to convince them (laughs).

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I honestly never realized there was such a rift in the Eastern and Western gaming community.

What I mean is that, I've been gaming for 30+ years, and I've always had an insane love for both Japanese and Western games. I think games like Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2, and The Last Guardian are just as amazing as God of War, Horizon, and Detroit.

I like that we're getting games from such a diverse pool of creators. I like that Eastern and Western developers aren't always tackling the same type of goals when designing games. With that said, I don't disagree with Kamiya. Tech wise, Western Developers are going all in, especially Western developers being backed by first party money.

Japanese developers are experts at what they do. Western devs are experts are what they do as well. This constant need for fans to dick wave their allegiance or the superiority of one over the other is always baffling to me. I just fucking love video games. I don't care if a Western Dev has done it, or a Japanese dev has done it. Just give me good fucking shit to play. I'll mark out over a Igarashi or Ueda game just as much as I will over a Michel Ancel, or even a David Cage (I know, GAF's favorite developer...) game.

I mainly grew up on consoles playing Japanese developed games, so in my younger years, I leaned heavily towards Japanese games. As I got older, and became able to buy more games for myself, I began to purchase more Western developed games, and falling in love with those as well.

Kamiya has a point that there is a gap between what East and West developers are doing. That doesn't have to be seen as a negative.

Crayon

That's like saying The Legend of Zelda: Skywards Sword is comparable to Oblivion.

I'd say that's a little further out due to the pre-defined character, but not beyond useful comparison, either. Comparing Starcraft and Gran Turismo would be... not very insightful. But I think it's plenty appropriate to compare oblivion, demons souls and yes even zelda.

That would explain why Scalebound looks like a Kamiya game for Western gamers who dont play Kamiya games. Just erase any semblance of his style and personality in favor of buttrock, multiplayer focus, sandbox, RPG elements...

DMC 3 had two of the four things you listed. As for the buttrock keep in mind Japan still loves rap metal.

18-Volt

i havent really loved a western game in quite a while.

Same here. For last 2 years I only played Sony's own games as western games, nothing else. All of my favorite genres are now dead and everywhere I look there are nothing but online only shooters.

Only non-Sony game that interested me at this E3 was Steep from Ubisoft. Another attept to revive the extreme sports genre that will end up failing. I pray that it won't.

Exentryk

GC: I’ve been looking around online to try and gauge what the reputation of the game is, and I don’t think it’ll surprise you that the word ‘douchebag’ came up quite a lot in regards to the main character.

All: [laughs]

HK: We really haven’t talked about the story or really explained the character too much, so people are jumping to conclusions that may be unfounded. And that’s fine, but more than that I don’t make things in games to have people not hate them.
I make things in games that I really like, that are kind of strong things that I want to play and I want to experience, and I’m not really concerned about making it so everybody loves it. I’m concerned about making the things that I feel are true to my vision, because that’s really what interests me about making games.

Haha! Stay awesome, Kamiya!

SvnLnas.jpg

Calm Mind

It shows. The gulf between Scalebound and what was shown elsewhere could fill several Grand Canyons. Such a meh that was.

Western devs have always had more varied types of games than Japanese.

The difference was in the past, majority of Western games were on the PC while Japanese was on consoles. There was less comparisons between the two back then than today.

Westerns have only been recently releasing games on consoles.

That's why I wasn't much a huge fan of NES or SNES games.

I think a lot of the rise of the dominance of Western development starting with Gen 6 was because all these huge PC developers started making games for the xbox and transitioned to console focused development. Before that Japan was a much huger force for consoles and thus most discussion on forums like this was based around their games. Infinity Ward, Bioware, Bethesda, Irrational, Epic and others were all PC devs that moved over and shaped the face of modern console games.

Apathy

I like learning what the perspective on western games is from the East. Like does anyone go to the chinese or japanese or korean equivalent of GAF and what they thought of the E3 showcases?

Aters

I mean even the creator of Persona 5 said he thought fucking Fallout 4 was his favourite game last year or something like that. Can anyone dig up that interview for that?

Top Bottom