• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya: West/Japan Gap Is Enormous; Horizon, FH3, Days Gone & GOW Caught My eye

zelas

Japan could have been right there with the west if they didnt focus so much on a "japanese games for japanese people" philosophy. Just another example of why embracing diversity is a good thing for the industry.

I mean even the creator of Persona 5 said he thought fucking Fallout 4 was his favourite game last year or something like that. Can anyone dig up that interview for that?

It's not really much of an interview, it's just a yearly survey that 4gamer does with Japanese developers where they ask them what their favorite media was for that year and what they plan to do next year. And Hoshino's (P5 director) favorite game last year was Minecraft. Another Atlus director (Issen Yamai) chose FO4 as his favorite. Overall from the list it was Splatoon that received the most mentions for favorite game.

Zebetite

Banned
the two regions have intensely different design philosophies that are just going to be a matter of preference, and making it out to be a qualitative gap is silly unless you're on some keiji inafune i-am-a-business-man-and-western-games-sell-good-so-japanese-games-are-dead trip

but in terms of sales games from the west usually clean house and that leads to higher budgets which enables games of a larger scale, so maybe that's what he means. if you're interested in games that lean hard into their mechanics and systems as opposed to immersion and simulation and cinematic vision you're still playing an awful lot of japanese games these days. lord knows i am!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
At this point, i'm really glad the 'level' Japanese games are at.

What he's talking about is a difference in technology, but quality wise, those devs working on Japanese games are still up there with the best.

Persona 5 is essentially a PS3 title refined a bit for PS4, and is still enough to full keep up with the big boy RPG's even if its technology is limited. Guilty Gear is the same for fighting games

Even then Tekken 7 looks great from a technology perspective and a gameplay perspective, even if the hardware running it likely isn't all that strong current gen wise

bigjig

Japan could have been right there with the west if they didnt focus so much on a "japanese games for japanese people" philosophy. Just another example of why embracing diversity is a good thing for the industry.

Nah, I'd rather they didn't water down their games under a one size fits all mentality. Japanese games benefit from their uniquely Japanese approach to game design. Rather than Japanese games being molded into a Western style, I'd rather that other countries follow Japan's lead in attempting to implement their own unique cultural qualities into their own game design, rather than trying to shoehorn everything into a tired checklist of features that are set in stone. Something like how The Witcher 3 has unique Polish/European qualities that you wouldn't see in an American game. Maybe then we can finally get away from comparing a single country like Japan to "The West"

I don't really see how diversity plays into it at all tbh. Japanese games are lacking in terms of budget and tech, not gameplay design. The sheer scope of gameplay potential in the new Zelda simply blows away anything seen in Horizon, or any other western open world games IMO.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Lot of Sony games praised there..

Would like to see what a genuine Sony + Platinum co-pro could bring about since he's worked with the 2 other platforms on exclusives now.

Inuhanyou

The absolute wrong conclusion to take from his statements.

Eliminating Japanese out of Japanese games is the shit we got last gen, which didn't appeal to anybody. Not Japanese, or western fans of Japanese games.

Inuhanyou

Western games like Horizon Zero Dawn, games like God of War, like Mass effect Andromeda are full of quality and beauty, but their production values in terms of technical chops are the only things that separate them from Japanese games like Nier Automata, Persona 5, Ni Oh or World of Final Fantasy in terms of quality.

As far as actual game quality goes, Japanese developers don't really need to be on the bleeding edge of tech, or even a modern level to provide experiences that measure up to the rest of the industry.

Most of those games i mentioned on the Japanese side started from PS3 origins or are cross gen with Vita, but everything else about them elevates them.

FF15 may be the biggest game in Japan in terms of tech right now, but it also might fail the hardest.

Toxi

Banned
The absolute wrong conclusion to take from his statements.

Eliminating Japanese out of Japanese games is the shit we got last gen, which didn't appeal to anybody. Not Japanese, or western fans of Japanese games.
I have to ask, because I keep seeing this sentiment: What was the "shit" we got last gen from Japanese developers? What are the specific examples people are thinking about when they bemoan the Japanese game industry of last gen?

I always grow sick of the "West" (Every Country that is not Japan)/Japan argument that always tends to spring up. I'll be honest and say I've leaned a lot more towards the former as last-gen there was a sparse list of games out of Japan I truly loved (though a decent list, especially when it's all coming out of one country).

As someone who isn't big into Nintendo, I'd agree that the gap is quite big, but again, I feel like people are doing really weird comparisons in the first place.

In terms of technology, yes.

But in terms of fun, no.

Monster Hunter still shits on everything from a high level, 240p or not. Zelda runs at 720p and 30fps and it won Game of the Show.

Same here. :lol

It's Zelda. Nothing else matters.

Monster Hunter is dismal to play unless you play it socially to meet the spirit of the game design. Without it, it loses all appeal.

I still play more Japanese games than Western games. There's more whimsy and devil may care attitude to many of the elements in Japanese games that I appreciate. And game mechanics- there are more surprises in Japanese games, so learning the ins and outs of what the game has under the surface is usually more rewarding than most Western games.

well they dont make many games for one....

were are my ridge racers and stuff, poor sega

other thing is things like yakuza are better than gta / sleeping dogs etc to me

budgets and sales

Randomizer

I don't agree at all to be honest. Please don't take too much western influence Kamiya, you and Platinum are the last bastions of crazy Japanese action games. Scalebound looks so dull and reminds me of something like Lost Planet 2.

Thankfully he has mentioned that he doesn't actually play any modern games and pefers classic 2D Japanese games of his childhood :p.

Toxi

Banned
Monster Hunter is dismal to play unless you play it socially to meet the spirit of the game design. Without it, it loses all appeal.
As someone who played all of MH3U and MHFU and most of MH4U solo, solo Monster Hunter is loads of fun.
I don't agree at all to be honest. Please don't take too much western influence Kamiya, you and Platinum are the last bastions of crazy Japanese action games. Scalebound looks so dull and reminds me of something like Lost Planet 2.

Thankfully he has mentioned that he doesn't actually play any modern games and pefers classic 2D Japanese games of his childhood :p.
Lost Planet 2 was developed by Capcom.

As someone who played all of MH3U and MHFU and most of MH4U solo, solo Monster Hunter is loads of fun.

Lost Planet 2 was developed by Capcom.

How do you chase down monsters without other players? Some of them run to far away parts of the map, they're designed to take advantage of multiplayer strategy. That said, there is a level of quality to the game and great atmosphere and mechanics, so I can see enjoying it somewhat even if playing solo. It's just that the real meat of the game is coordinating with other players.

Toxi

Banned
How do you chase down monsters without other players? Some of them run to far away parts of the map, they're designed to take advantage of multiplayer strategy. That said, there is a level of quality to the game and great atmosphere and mechanics, so I can see enjoying it somewhat even if playing solo. It's just that the real meat of the game is coordinating with other players.
Use a Paintball or some Psychoserum and follow the monster. Same thing you do with a group.

Monster Hunter Cross (Generations) is basically one of the best action games I've ever played, so much damn fun solo, haven't even played Co-op.

I think both sides have something to learn from each other, however, I think Western AAA has been learning a bit quicker than Japanese AAA devs have. I've always loved the Japanese influence in otherwise Western esque games. Metal Gear Solid is a Testament to how awesome that union can be.

Inuhanyou

I have to ask, because I keep seeing this sentiment: What was the "shit" we got last gen from Japanese developers? What are the specific examples people are thinking about when they bemoan the Japanese game industry of last gen?

Games like Quantum Theory(gears of war clone), lost planet 2(multiplayer timesinks with singular objective), as well as games like MindJack(travesty to all humanity) and even games like Lightning returns(cheap padding and sidequest filler in an open world with minimal or horrible plot lines). Even Xenoblade chronicles X suffered from the skyrim western open world syndrome of playing down a story for a create a character system, which most fans think harmed the game and detracted from what it could have been, compared to the original.

All of these games on console were made with the false and mistaken belief that they should emulate western tastes and how western games do things. Capcom even took the drastic step of farming out their IP to western studios directly to 'appeal' more to western styles(lost planet 3 and DmC) to meh or abysmal reception. That never was going to work when it would never satisfy the audience that wants Japanese games by Japanese developers.

Hmmmm._. Ihad much more fun playing through EDF 4.1 last year and the Nioh Alpha this year than most Western open world, mp only, collectathon, cinematic whatevers. I am really looking forward to Dishonered 2 though and Horizon looks to have potential but i feel most western games are a slog to get through these days. All my opinion, of course.

Capcom even took the drastic step of farming out their IP to western studios directly to 'appeal' more to western styles(lost planet 3 and DmC) to meh or abysmal reception.

I know this is a very pedantic thing to complain about, but I feel like DmC receives criticism from a vocal minority (which they're entitled to, but let's not pretend that game didn't review well, everyone else thought it was rad as hell, myself included).

Also, what about Dead Rising? Only the first game was developed in Japan, the rest have all been done by Capcom Vancouver, and that seems to have worked out so far.

Soriku

Japanese developers have been saying this for years, yet my enjoyment of JP games hasn't exactly gone down.

Tech isn't everything.

Pretty fun interview, though that probably helps that the interviewer's kind of a Platinum fanboy. Literally word from word on how I would ask some question. :^) Didn't expect them to touch on Drew's design or the Bayonetta parallels either.

Einhander

Sounds like a case of "the grass is always greener". Japanese games don't have to be impressive based on graphics. Traditionally, their interesting worlds, characters and soundtracks have been their allure.

Servbot24

Banned
Not sure how much I agree with him. Persona 5, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy are my most anticipated games. I am not in any way a "japanophile" or whatever, those games just look great (well XV is iffy). Horizon is the big western game I'm looking forward to. Oh, and GoW.

As far as graphics go, Valkyria: Azure Revolution is a real looker. Damned shame it didn't show up at E3, could have turned some heads.

Inuhanyou

I know this is a very pedantic thing to complain about, but I feel like DmC receives criticism from a vocal minority (which they're entitled to, but let's not pretend that game didn't review well, everyone else thought it was rad as hell, myself included).

Also, what about Dead Rising? Only the first game was developed in Japan, the rest have all been done by Capcom Vancouver, and that seems to have worked out so far.

The exception is not the rule. For every 1 Dead rising, there are 4 Dark Void, 3 Binary Commandos

DmC's warping of the established property left many of the original fans alienated and with its middling sales projections, left the majority in the end unsatisfied with the result, even though it was a decent action game on its own. That's why its not getting a sequel but DMC5 supposedly is.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's interesting to think of where western devs were at when the first Xbox launched. They were niche, PC-exclusive and they were constantly being upstaged by the great Japanese devs of the day. I suppose the momentum of the Xbox and the 360 took the US away from PC and allowed them to go mass market. It's such a fascinating turnaround to me.

Inuhanyou

As far as graphics go, Valkyria: Azure Revolution is a real looker. Damned shame it didn't show up at E3, could have turned some heads.

Due to the art style, not the technical specifications or power behind the game.

I feel like the big difference between western games and Japanese games is that western games tend to have premises/themes/settings and gameplay/presentation combos that appeal to a broader audience of gamers than most Japanese games. That's why games like Mass Effect, Deus Ex: HR/MD, CoD. Doom, etc... tend to be successes, because they get people interested in playing the game with their subject matter, and playing the games is enjoyable to most of those people.

Sure, there's always a few Japanese games that manage to hit the sweet spot where they nail both, but usually they either nail one aspect (premise/theme/setting or gameplay) and fuck up the other, or fuck up both. That's why you can get something like Xenoblade Chronicle X, which seems like it would be something that a lot of western people would be into, since it's scifi, but has gameplay that can alienate anyone who expected something more dynamic, like Mass Effect style gameplay.

I feel like Scalebound is riding the line between fucking up just one element and fucking up both, because the setting's alright, but the main character sucks (at least based on what we see so far) and the gameplay's not really that great if you're not into hunting games and lacks the usual Platinum polish. I dunno if that's just bad demos, but Platinum and Microsoft really need to get this stuff sorted out before the big media blow out before the game's release.

Gundam Breaker 3 is also a really good looking game. I wish there'd been some demos of that at E3, since I don't think many people know there's an English localization of that game.

The only Japanese games I'm excited about in the near future are Pokémon Sun and Ace Combat 7.

Japan's games industry just isn't really competitive anymore.

Inuhanyou

And so Kamiya's slow shift into becoming Keiji Inafune begins.

Heaven forbid.

The only Japanese games I'm excited about in the near future are Pokémon Sun and Ace Combat 7.

Japan's games industry just isn't really competitive anymore.

Because your personally only excited about Nintendo and Ace Combat, that's an example of competitiveness?

It's personal opinion, sympathetic, realistic, but also very very late.

Western devs have always had more varied types of games than Japanese.

The difference was in the past, majority of Western games were on the PC while Japanese was on consoles. There was less comparisons between the two back then than today.

Westerns have only been recently releasing games on consoles.

That's why I wasn't much a huge fan of NES or SNES games.

I played mostly PC games (RTS). I felt the gameplay in games like StarCraft, later Valve related games (and mods), etc were (also mods included) were far more varied and interesting than most Japanese console games at the time. I did play Japanese games just for the story but I was never really interested in the gameplay (the gameplay for most console games back then was really basic compared to western PC games at the time).

SC1 BW is still considered one of the most complex and mechanically varied game today. Even a lot of FPS back then were the same.

People like Overwatch but IMO Overwatch doesn't really do anything that new or different compared to TFC (TF 1.5) or Natural Selection (mods of HL1 back then) or even CS mods (I liked the CS Warcraft mod as it added some depth in the game).

The only difference is that Overwatch does do a good job of having those types of gameplay on consoles (TF2 was an attempt but not as great as Overwatch).

Western games have actually gotten worse in mechanics (IMO) than before.

Japanese games on the other hand having slowly been increasing in quality.

For me, it's the opposite as I think Western games (compared to the days of 90s to early 2000s) have actually gotten less interesting to me while Japanese games have changed from being simple in mechanics (maybe with some reflex, pattern memorization, or trial and error gameplay back then) to a bit more depth which makes things more interesting.

I find TFC (HL1 TF) to be mechanically better than TF2 as in TFC there were things like being able to boost yourself with explosives and other things (all classes can do) that isn't present in TF2.

Natural Selection 1 had more depth in its gameplay compared to NS2 (though NS2 got better later but initially, I'd argue NS2 is less interesting in gameplay).

I like Japanese games more nowadays as I think they're catching up in quality and doing different things, while Western games seem to have more simplified mechanics compared to the past.

Even after playing SC2, I still go back to SC1 (the interface is not a big deal to me) because of how fast and smooth the game is compared to SC2. The way units handle in SC2 compared to SC1 is clunky (in SC1, you can do a lot with flying units compared to SC2).

Not saying I don't like new western games; it's more of a defense of Japanese games than anything. As someone who played both Japanese and Western games equally back in the day. I'd say Japanese is doing better than before IMO. For Western games, I usually prefer the classics than the newer games usually.

You need to go back further to the J-Computer Game scene or really, really take a look at catalogues for Gen 4 and 5 consoles. A factor in the below is that recasting of the majority as the total.

I honestly never realized there was such a rift in the Eastern and Western gaming community.

What I mean is that, I've been gaming for 30+ years, and I've always had an insane love for both Japanese and Western games. I think games like Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2, and The Last Guardian are just as amazing as God of War, Horizon, and Detroit.

I like that we're getting games from such a diverse pool of creators. I like that Eastern and Western developers aren't always tackling the same type of goals when designing games. With that said, I don't disagree with Kamiya. Tech wise, Western Developers are going all in, especially Western developers being backed by first party money.

Japanese developers are experts at what they do. Western devs are experts are what they do as well. This constant need for fans to dick wave their allegiance or the superiority of one over the other is always baffling to me. I just fucking love video games. I don't care if a Western Dev has done it, or a Japanese dev has done it. Just give me good fucking shit to play. I'll mark out over a Igarashi or Ueda game just as much as I will over a Michel Ancel, or even a David Cage (I know, GAF's favorite developer...) game.

I mainly grew up on consoles playing Japanese developed games, so in my younger years, I leaned heavily towards Japanese games. As I got older, and became able to buy more games for myself, I began to purchase more Western developed games, and falling in love with those as well.

Kamiya has a point that there is a gap between what East and West developers are doing. That doesn't have to be seen as a negative.

It was con-TROV-ersy (manufactured polarizing statements made by companies or factions in order to sell products/ideas) plus the very complicated and long-completing reduction of the dedicated gaming development of Japan. There was an amount of peer pressure and ostracism for stumping the cause of a Japanese game, placing one of those above a pushed non-Japanese game of the same genre on quality, or decrying changes and removals of Japanese developers from a scene. Willfully-oblivious fanboys ignoring the slow slide in the Pro-Japan crowd did the scene no favors (as it set up a shouty match between them and the decriers of J-gaming over two fantasy realities that could never be disproven as neither existed in the first place).

Up until a few short years ago that is. Then the unnoticed cost for non-Japanese developers, a different one, but just as bloody became unignorable to the greater public. There was not enough fuel for that headwind against Japanese gaming any more. Too many feet in mouths, the stench of desperation too strong.

That's why I don't care much either way when Kamiya says this. The reality is laid bare with no smokescreen of ulterior motives, and that reality was the real danger all along.

Top Bottom