• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West is the GOAT of Hip-Hop.

DonJorginho

Banned
Hate on him all you want, for as much of a cunt as Kanye is, no Rap artist has a better discography or has revolutionised the way we digest Rap Music and see Hip-Hop Prodcution than Yeezy.

Z4t0Xlqw-3-768x435.jpg

If you disagree, tell me who is the GOAT in your opinion and why you think so?

Last edited:

LordKasual

Banned
Kanye was amazing until he bought into his own idea that he was a genius.

If had to point out anyone in a hottake....it would be Dr. Dre. Not because of his music, but because of the sheer amount of success he has under his name, which includes both Eminem and 50 Cent.

But if we're really being honest....no matter how much you hate admitting it....

....the real answer is Drake.

DonJorginho

Banned

If had to point out anyone in a hottake....it would be Dr. Dre. Not because of his music, but because of the sheer amount of success he has under his name, which includes both Eminem and 50 Cent.

But if we're really being honest....no matter how much you hate admitting it....

PLEASE SAY SIKE MAN I DON'T WANT THIS COMPARISON IN MY HOUSEHOLD

Mista

Banned
Based on what he’s the GOAT? Anyone saying this is really clueless about the Hip-Hop culture. Creative? Yes he is. Did a lot? Yes he did. But the GOAT? Here you’re disrespecting all the greats in the past that were revolutionary. I can’t pick a GOAT because Hip-Hop witnessed lots of revolutions by people that are still alive and people that are gone.

Take MJ for example he’s gone since a long time and his music still lives like if he was alive. He got called the King of Pop for a reason. Tell me outside you and his fanbase, who called Kanye the GOAT? Nobody.

LordKasual

Banned
PLEASE SAY SIKE MAN I DON'T WANT THIS COMPARISON IN MY HOUSEHOLD

Bro look, i don't like admitting it either, but hear me out.

1) He has almost single-handedly created the current popular trend of hip-hop....the whole "rap singing/harmonizing" shit.

2) So many modern wrappers have bitten his style.

3) A Drake feature is almost a guaranteed hit. It literally doesn't matter who the artist is.

4) You know how they say "White girls" are actually the biggest consumers of hip-hop? That's Drake. He has expanded hip-hop into a more casual, non-threatening realm in a way other traditionally popular hip-hop artists can't.

5) Though it was a really shitty beef by any real comparison...the Meek Mill beef wasn't only Hip-Hop history, it was POP CULTURE history. They played that shit on the radio.

I can keep going. I'm no huge fan of Drake myself, but he has legit changed the game.

Kanye has some legendary records under his name, but at this point his legacy will be completely swallowed up by his dumbfuck antics and the fact that he's Kim Kardashian's trophy wife now.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Based on what he’s the GOAT? Anyone saying this is really clueless about the Hip-Hop culture. Creative? Yes he is. Did a lot? Yes he did. But the GOAT? Here you’re disrespecting all the greats in the past that were revolutionary. I can’t pick a GOAT because Hip-Hop witnessed lots of revolutions by people that are still alive and people that are gone.

Take MJ for example he’s gone since a long time and his music still lives like if he was alive. He got called the King of Pop for a reason. Tell me outside you and his fanbase, who called Kanye the GOAT? Nobody.

His Discography, his next level production, the amount of pure classics this guy made, the way he gave birth to a lot of things we see today in music in general (whether good or bad in your eyes).

Kanye has made better Music than a lot of legendary Rappers, yeah loads of people can spit and write better than Kanye can, but can any of them make as amazing original music as him, with each album sounding different and diverse whilst improving on their natural sound? Hell no.

DonJorginho

Banned
He’s great, but GOAT Status is beyond his reach imo

i prefer his first three albums , unlike most people

That is the beauty of Kanye, he has such a strong discography people can be so divided by what albums are better.

For me his best 3 album run is MBDTF, WTT/YEEZUS and TLOP.

DonJorginho

Banned
COULD YOUR GOAT WRITE THIS?

McDonalds Man
McDonalds Man
The french fries had a plan

The salad bar and the ketchup made a band
Cus the french fries had a plan

McDonalds Man
McDonalds
I know them french fries have a plan
I know them french fries have a plan
The cheeseburger and the shakes formed a band
To overthrow the french fries plan

I always knew them french fries was evil man
Smelling all good and shit
I don't trust no food that smells that good man
I don't trust it
I just can't

McDonalds Man
McDonalds Man
McDonalds, damn
Them french fries look good though
I knew the Diet Coke was jealous of the fries
I knew the McNuggets was jealous of the fries
Even the McRib was jealous of the fries
I could see it through his artificial meat eyes

And he only be there some of the time
Everybody was jealous of them french fries
Except for that one special guy
That smooth apple pie

Blond

Banned
Kanye was good till he got a taste of Kardashian witch-pussy

-One boyfriend smoked crack in 2015
-Kanye is currently losing his shit and starting a cult
-One benefitted from the hex and brought the saints their first Superbowl won
-Another divorced after a month
-Bruce liked the Kardashian witch-pussy so much he decided he needed one of his own

Hinedorf

Banned
I love Kanye's music but hate Kanye as a human being, he's just an ignorant, grotesque, disrespectful douche but he makes some great music.

I don't think you can ever come to terms on Rap GOAT other than having your own personal one, I would say Lil Wayne far surpasses Kanye. Snoop Dogg would be my personal choice, he's got albums for days with great songs. He's also perpetually cool unlike Kanye who would rather frown and be an asshole than be loved.

Also.....this new Jesus shit with Kanye, as much as I liked him, he's fucking dead to me now. He's basically become an old white lady and he doesn't even know it.

I'm more inclined to think he's actually gay and Kim is just his beard, there's weird people and there's people acting weird because they're hiding who they truly are.

DonJorginho

Banned
Kanye was good till he got a taste of Kardashian witch-pussy

-One boyfriend smoked crack in 2015
-Kanye is currently losing his shit and starting a cult
-One benefitted from the hex and brought the saints their first Superbowl won
-Another divorced after a month
-Bruce liked the Kardashian witch-pussy so much he decided he needed one of his own

LMAOOOO

Yeezus, KSG and TLOP were really good imo, but other projects have been hit and miss.

DonJorginho

Banned
I love Kanye's music but hate Kanye as a human being, he's just an ignorant, grotesque, disrespectful douche but he makes some great music.

I don't think you can ever come to terms on Rap GOAT other than having your own personal one, I would say Lil Wayne far surpasses Kanye. Snoop Dogg would be my personal choice, he's got albums for days with great songs. He's also perpetually cool unlike Kanye who would rather frown and be an asshole than be loved.

Also.....this new Jesus shit with Kanye, as much as I liked him, he's fucking dead to me now. He's basically become an old white lady and he doesn't even know it.

I'm more inclined to think he's actually gay and Kim is just his beard, there's weird people and there's people acting weird because they're hiding who they truly are.

Jesus Kanye is wack I will admit that, JIK was a 5/10.

Mista

Banned
His Discography, his next level production, the amount of pure classics this guy made, the way he gave birth to a lot of things we see today in music in general (whether good or bad in your eyes).

Kanye has made better Music than a lot of legendary Rappers, yeah loads of people can spit and write better than Kanye can, but can any of them make as amazing original music as him, with each album sounding different and diverse whilst improving on their natural sound? Hell no.
Sounding different but shit doesn’t make you revolutionary. When was the last time someone praised Kanye? I can’t remember that. I still stand with what I said mate, he’s nowhere near being a GOAT

Mista

Banned

You disagree with him on Kanye just to pick Drake? Please tell me you’re joking...

LordKasual

Banned
Because the thread is about the music

he said "no Rap artist has a better discography or has revolutionised the way we digest Rap Music and see Hip-Hop Prodcution than Yeezy."

Drake has most certainly done that. His hip-hop influence is literally universal at this point.

Again, i'm not particularly a drake fan. Honestly i think he's fake as hell.

Mista

Banned
he said "no Rap artist has a better discography or has revolutionised the way we digest Rap Music and see Hip-Hop Prodcution than Yeezy."

Drake has most certainly done that. His hip-hop influence is literally universal at this point.

Again, i'm not particularly a drake fan. Honestly i think he's fake as hell.
I agree with the two points. Fake as hell indeed

Never seen an emotional gangster in my whole life

DonJorginho

Banned
Sounding different but shit doesn’t make you revolutionary. When was the last time someone praised Kanye? I can’t remember that. I still stand with what I said mate, he’s nowhere near being a GOAT

Literally 2018 when he made one of the albums of the year in KSG he was getting praised.

Kanye has released top quality music for so long.

Jesus Is King is the only major slip up in his career, before then he was gonna release the tragically cancelled Yandhi and the leaks from that album have received praise from his biggest haters as it was going to be a classic album.

Kanye has always been a perfectionist and has given such amazing music experiences.

No-one could make songs as amazing as Devil In A New Dress or Power or Saint Pablo like Kanye could.

Kanye is an average rapper with an amazing musical brain.

lock2k

Banned
I never dug deep into his discography or whatever, but Kanye's Flashing Lights is a great song with timeless quality.

Bolivar687

Banned
A thread about the greatest hip hop artist of all time and the names being thrown around are Kanye West, Snoop Dogg, and Lil' Wayne.

Are you guys for real?

Naibel

No-one has made an album as good as MBDTF aside from Nas with Illmatic and Eminem with MMLP

If we talk about hip-hop, I do agree with that take. It's an absolute classic, high up there with what you cited but also "good kid m.A.A.d city", "36 Chambers" and the first three A Tribe Called Quest albums. It's the pinnacle of his career and quite frankly, some epic shit.

His ego is... well, what it is, but he still has it. Loved Kids See Ghosts, loved DAYTONA, he's still a genius producer after all those years.

I kinda hope his Gospel "shtick" doesn't last too long tho, I want ol' Kanye back :messenger_crying:

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice

Ah, just in time for GAF’s daily hot-také! Very spicy, loving it. Please go on!

mekes

The claim is much more validated as a producer than a rapper. I think he has earned his place as a great, but not the goat by any stretch.

If you disagree, tell me who is the GOAT in your opinion and why you think so?

There is no singular GOAT. There is however a duo of GOATs:

And that's because I feel like mentioning the Wu Tang Clan is cheating. Kanye is cool though. You're a Chelsea supporter so fuck your thread LMAO.

Whitesnake

Banned
100% unironically yes.

All of his albums are absolute top notch (except the last one, was pretty meh) Every other ‘artist’ has one or two good songs, but this man has a whole library of bangers.

Fuck Tupac, fuck Bigs, fuck the Wutang clan, they ain’t got shit on Ye.

Top Bottom