• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
DUDE. cool that hate man. both of these MC's got good and bad. I ain't gunna fault em'. They both deliver good material that I've gotten years of enjoyment from.

Light up and enjoy life :)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Tokubetsu said:
Fuck Jay-Z. Has there ever been a more successful dickrider than Jay-Z? Doubtful.

Wouldn't call him a dick rider.. Thats game's title

YoungHav

Banned
shadowcomplex said:
graduation was awesome. IMO, then again you opinion is kinda shit.

also if you hate kanye so much stop listening to him, no ones forcing you. unless your a hypocrite, then by all means gtfo
:lol . Sorry dude. Late Registration >>>>>>>>> MBDTF. Stop acting like Kanye dropped Thriller.

toasty_T said:
Man, whatever. I haven't touched MBDTF since November. I can't believe I got caught in the hype with them big ass threads.
Yup. Album is average as hell.

Plywood said:
MBDTF really is overrated on GAF.
Yup!

enzo_gt said:
YoungHav already went back on his own statement, saying Ye can't hold his shit together without features, which are Jay-Z's crutch nowadays, as evidenced by BP3. And he said BP3 > MBDTF. Hypocrisy detected. So, we get it dude, you like Jay-Z better than Ye. Don't have to go rationalize some sort of hate for Ye to justify Jay-Z's superiority in your opinion.

But yeah, YoungHav, how do you feel about Kanye today murking Jay on Monster, So Appalled, Power Remix, etc.? By your own logic, Jay doesn't deserve to hang with Ye on any of the tracks they shared this year.
LOL I went back on what? Blueprint, American Gangster, Black Album, Kingdom Come, off the top Jay-Z held those down 95% by himself. Jay makes 1 album with features and it's a crutch? C'mon son! Kanye's weakest rap album is Graduation and I don't think its a coincidence that it's the one with 85% solo Kanye.

As for the matchups? Who cares... it's clear Jay-Z doesn't consider 'Ye competition so he never goes anywhere near full force when they collaborate (and Jay did better than Ye on So Appalled). Jay practically mailed his verse in on Monster and frankly Nicki stole the show on that song but I'm not going to dare say she's better than Kanye or Jay-Z just based off of that. My point earlier was, if Jay-Z wanted to kill Power, Monster, etc... he could. Kanye couldn't POSSIBLY hang with Jay or Nas on Success. That's the difference. Kanye couldn't do something like "Corporate Takeover freestyle on Hot 97" or "Dynasty Intro" if his life depended on it. That's the difference. Kanye is ok and is hardly a lyricist . Jay-Z is a killer.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'll get the album simply because I make it a habit of trying to pick up every big hop hop release regardless, but I have never been a Jay Z fan, I think he has managed to trick 3 million white kids into thinking he is the king of hip hop when he is just a barely average rapper.
Kanye hasn't done anything worthwhile since Graduation.

Thing is, I could potentially see myself enjoying this since Jay Z might focus kanye's insane tendency of late to ramble on production wise in his beats and produce like he is on too much acid. But if so little time is being put into this album, I dont have high hopes.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This thread loos like a disaster area. I think Jay is a decent rapper, The Black Album is by far his best work. As for Kanye, he is a great rapper. MBDTF is a great album and is up there with his best work. People in here need to respect opinions.

Thread is damn frightening. :lol

~Devil Trigger~ said:
yea i dont get all the high praise MBDTF gets here.

Both Late Registration and Graduation are better imo

Graduation was a great album, but every song about LV, gucci..... gets very tiring. At least MBTF tries to have a little bit of depth

and Big Brother is just painful to listen to, especially after Jay said it was the second most important song ye did after Jesus Walks. So Jay is saying only Jesus is more important then himself, oh how humble

Deadly Cyclone said:
This thread loos like a disaster area. I think Jay is a decent rapper, The Black Album is by far his best work. As for Kanye, he is a great rapper. MBDTF is a great album and is up there with his best work. People in here need to respect opinions.

Thread is damn frightening. :lol

I can't hate on the people in here that have their own opinions, no matter how outlandish they are, but at least give us some reasons as to why you feel that way. Unpopular opinions stir conversation; it's honestly a good thing when done right. I respect the people defending their viewpoints...

The man is a great producer and a decent rapper. MBDTF was a good album, but I won't say it is his best. It's themes of religion, grief, and celebration are done in a precise enough way to keep me listening.

Kanye's discography is akin to his real life: The College Dropout glorified his startings, Late Registration detailed his "stardom" beginning to come about and him enjoying said "stardom", Graduation detailed his current status as one of the "big boys" in music, 808s dealt with the inner turmoils he faced during his career, and finally MBDTF encompasses a little bit of everything he's been rapping about this whole time: a bit of sadness, a bit of the flashy life and a bit of Kanye as the person.

I'm not going to list my album preferences because we've been through that already time after time on Kanye threads that it's really getting too repetitive.

People are saying that MBDTF was hyped too much on GAF? With a sizeable Kanye fan community on GAF, do people really expect said community to pipe down? :lol

andymcc

Banned
spindashing said:
People are saying that MBDTF was hyped too much on GAF? With a sizeable Kanye fan community on GAF, do people really expect said community to pipe down? :lol

not to mention that it was the highest-rated album of last year, and probably populated the top of more year-end lists than any other.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
andymcc said:
not to mention that it was the highest-rated album of last year, and probably populated the top of more year-end lists than any other.

I consider it another beneficiary of the new age of hype. The internet allows for mass hype building like no other time in history. Twitter and free digital downloads and web blogs and instant communication between artist and fan allows savvy and smart artists to hype their work up to a degree of sheer pandemonium. You would have thought Kanye was going to cure cancer the way he got the online music community in a frenzy. And he deserves all the credit in the world for it, very well done, very clever. It creates this kind of wave of momentum that people feel they need to jump into or they will miss out on something. When the wave dies down, some people found they enjoyed the ride, others wish they had done something else. But when the wave started, almost everyone was running to join in regardless of their previous opinions or tastes. Because its human nature to not want to miss out and to see what all the fuss is about.

Brinbe

Nice, love reading the differing opinions in here. Keeps things interesting. Personally, I love MBDTF, but after listening to it daily for quite a while now (GOOD Friday to leaks to retail), I'm getting burned out on it now, (which is also why I'm glad WTT is coming out soon) but overall, it's still fucking amazing.

And personally, I can't ride with the hate for Jay (or Ye) for his subject matter. I mean, sure, his bragging can get tiresome, but I don't really see it any different than the Clipse and their Coke rhymes, a D-Block and their gun talk, or Immortal Technique and whatever the fuck he's on at the moment.

Plus, it's not as if Jay hasn't acknowledged that about himself either... I dumb down for my audience and double my dollars?

Admittedly though, Jay has slowed down over the past few years and BP3 was kind of a disappointment in the vein of a BP2/Kingdom Come, in that there were a few standout tracks and it didn't really come together.

However, I don't see how anyone can thoroughly disparage him since AG only came out in 07, and that was only a little below RD in my opinion. So much great shit on there, fuck, Party Life, Fallin', Say Hello, Pray, so good.

Ephemeris

PhoenixDark said:
American Gangster is average as fuck imo

Ninja Scooter said:
even though I prefer Kanye to Jay, I will cosign that American Gangster is better than MBDTF. It's probably my 2nd favorite Jay album, after Blueprint.

Blue-magic-remix.jpg

Seek it out. Be rewarded.

andymcc

Banned
siddx said:
I consider it another beneficiary of the new age of hype. The internet allows for mass hype building like no other time in history. Twitter and free digital downloads and web blogs and instant communication between artist and fan allows savvy and smart artists to hype their work up to a degree of sheer pandemonium. You would have thought Kanye was going to cure cancer the way he got the online music community in a frenzy. And he deserves all the credit in the world for it, very well done, very clever. It creates this kind of wave of momentum that people feel they need to jump into or they will miss out on something. When the wave dies down, some people found they enjoyed the ride, others wish they had done something else. But when the wave started, almost everyone was running to join in regardless of their previous opinions or tastes. Because its human nature to not want to miss out and to see what all the fuss is about.

i can kind of understand that. certainly it's not the first album to ride a similar type of hype, another example would be something like In Rainbows.

if you read any review for MBDTF, Kanye's persona, the G.O.O.D. Friday tracks, his self-promotion, all are typically touched upon. but, at this point, it's really hard to separate the man from the music. i still listen to the album pretty frequently, and my opinion hasn't diminished with time. but i guess hype can have the opposite effect. :lol

YoungHav

Banned
I feel like The Roots How I Got Over is far superior to MBDTF. I don't get why the album is dickrided everywhere. Kanye has put out a better album, 'Late Registration'. *shrugs*. I guess hype works and K West dropped Thriller apparently.

andymcc

Banned
YoungHav said:
I feel like The Roots How I Got Over is far superior to MBDTF. I don't get why the album is dickrided everywhere. Kanye has put out a better album, 'Late Registration'. *shrugs*. I guess hype works and K West dropped Thriller apparently.

Late Registration has a few very weak songs and some really fucking awful skits.

YoungHav said:

No, I feel the same way. How I Got Over > MBDTF. But read siddx's post. G.O.O.D. Friday? FREE music every week? The Runaway film? Kanye did a great job hyping his own product.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
YoungHav said:
:lol . Sorry dude. Late Registration >>>>>>>>> MBDTF. Stop acting like Kanye dropped Thriller.

i am not saying he dropped thriller >_> but then MBDTF can't be THAT FUCKING AWFUL in your opinion. can it? i mean you act as if it was worse than 808

~Devil Trigger~ said:
yea i dont get all the high praise MBDTF gets here.

Both Late Registration and Graduation are better imo

it gets all that praise because its not 808 >_<

YoungHav

Banned
shadowcomplex said:
i am not saying he dropped thriller >_> but then MBDTF can't be THAT FUCKING AWFUL in your opinion. can it? i mean you act as if it was worse than 808
it gets all that praise because its not 808 >_<
I never listened to 808s because I knew someone crying on autotune for an hour would be of no interest to me. I'm not saying MBDTF is a garbage album, but when I see e-orgasms for 40+ pages about it I have to say something.

I know there's a lot of people on the outside looking in but from a hip-hop standpoint how is the album better than How I Got Over or Distant Relatives? And from a pop standpoint was this year in music that bad for MBDTF to get Rolling Stone album of the year?

I don't have cable TV nor am I a kanye dickrider so I didn't see any videos nor that 30min music video shit he pulled. I just listened to the album and it's... just... alright. So the dickriding is unwarranted IMO.

Yousefb

YoungHav said:
I never listened to 808s because I knew someone crying on autotune for an hour would be of no interest to me. I'm not saying MBDTF is a garbage album, but when I see e-orgasms for 40+ pages about it I have to say something.

I know there's a lot of people on the outside looking in but from a hip-hop standpoint how is the album better than How I Got Over or Distant Relatives? And from a pop standpoint was this year in music that bad for MBDTF to get Rolling Stone album of the year?

I don't have cable TV nor am I a kanye dickrider so I didn't see any videos nor that 30min music video shit he pulled. I just listened to the album and it's... just... alright. So the dickriding is unwarranted IMO.
Why? Do you need everyone to share your opinion or something?

YoungHav

Banned
Yousefb said:
Why? Do you need everyone to share your opinion or something?
no, I don't care for that. I'm just saying I was expecting props but not a Thriller 2 reaction from the world. It's a message board, we have discussions. It shouldn't be 40+ pages of blind dickriding. Objectively, if even a third of people here actually listened to great music in their spare time they'll look back and realize they overhyped this release. I've read "z0mg! X Kanye song is fucking brilliant", then I listen to it and just laugh. Not meaning to rain on the parade but I just don't see it.

YoungHav said:

You certainly love to speak about riding dicks. We get it, man. Like I said, it's a good album, and we have a large Kanye fan community here, so it's not strange to see this.

It's all opinions. We can't expect you to like MBDTF, nor can you expect others to see your opinion.

YoungHav

Banned
spindashing said:
You certainly love to speak about riding dicks. We get it, man. Like I said, it's a good album, and we have a large Kanye fan community here, so it's not strange to see this.

It's all opinions. We can't expect you to like MBDTF, nor can you expect others to see your opinion.
Its a term of expression dummy. If it offends you then I'll say "omg everyone is on a bandwagon". Happy? Even you agreed How I Got Over is better. As I said before, I care not for people agreeing with my opinion. I just state it.

YoungHav said:
Its a term of expression dummy. If it offends you then I'll say "omg everyone is on a bandwagon". Happy? Even you agreed How I Got Over is better. As I said before, I care not for people agreeing with my opinion. I just state it.

I know what dickriding means but you kind of dickrided the term dickride by using it over and over again to make your point.

Yeah, I agree How I Got Over is better from a lyrical standpoint. Anything The Roots put out is quality. I also agree Distant Relatives, an underrated album by the way, is better than MBDTF by the same criteria. In all honesty, no disrespect to The Roots or Damian Marley/Nas, Kanye did market his album better than them.

On another hand, who are you to say people can't enjoy the album the way they want to? Let them have "40+ pages" enjoying whether the album is great or not. Like you said, it is a discussion board and people are here to have discussions, so is there a limit to how much something can be discussed? Do you even own this message board?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
YoungHav said:

Yup. Album is average as hell.

Yup!

LOL I went back on what? Blueprint, American Gangster, Black Album, Kingdom Come, off the top Jay-Z held those down 95% by himself. Jay makes 1 album with features and it's a crutch? C'mon son! Kanye's weakest rap album is Graduation and I don't think its a coincidence that it's the one with 85% solo Kanye.

As for the matchups? Who cares... it's clear Jay-Z doesn't consider 'Ye competition so he never goes anywhere near full force when they collaborate (and Jay did better than Ye on So Appalled). Jay practically mailed his verse in on Monster and frankly Nicki stole the show on that song but I'm not going to dare say she's better than Kanye or Jay-Z just based off of that. My point earlier was, if Jay-Z wanted to kill Power, Monster, etc... he could. Kanye couldn't POSSIBLY hang with Jay or Nas on Success. That's the difference. Kanye couldn't do something like "Corporate Takeover freestyle on Hot 97" or "Dynasty Intro" if his life depended on it. That's the difference. Kanye is ok and is hardly a lyricist . Jay-Z is a killer.
You went back on your own little point you made. You come in this thread and tell anyone who remotely likes Ye a Kanye dick rider, and you've arguably been dick riding Jay this entire thread son. Your a hypocrite, and don't know what dick riding is when you do it.

If you don't care about match ups then don't make a point about Ye not being able to hang with Jay on tracks. Once again you went against your own logic. "If Jay wanted to kill it he could" makes you sound like he can go into super saiyan whenever he wants, but fails to, and has predominantly failed to all of these years. I wonder why that is? Oh right he's not Goku.

Pretty much, you came into this thread with preconceptions and made them facts. Who the fuck said MBDTF was better than Distant Relatives and How I Got Over? I think it's better than the two but I didn't come in this thread telling people they were objectively wrong if they liked Nas+Damien or The Roots over Yeezy. Cause it's not as black and white as you parade this to be. You act like the response to MBDTF was unanimously Thriller 2 kind of shit, it wasn't. Go back and actually read the MBDTF threads and we had legitimate, respectful discussions on why people didn't like it, and unless you posted "shit sux lololol" everyone was just cool with everything. And even if you did post such, KanyeGAF at least egged people to elaborate so they're not just trolling or posting for dramatic effect.

You inheritly have a problem with people liking Mr. West and refuse to respect others opinions except your own. Get off your high horse/Jay's dick and you'll realize no one else is riding dicks here.

Yousefb

spindashing said:
I know what dickriding means but you kind of dickrided the term dickride by using it over and over again to make your point.

Yeah, I agree How I Got Over is better from a lyrical standpoint. Anything The Roots put out is quality. I also agree Distant Relatives, an underrated album by the way, is better than MBDTF by the same criteria. In all honesty, no disrespect to The Roots or Damian Marley/Nas, Kanye did market his album better than them.

On another hand, who are you to say people can't enjoy the album the way they want to? Let them have "40+ pages" enjoying whether the album is great or not. Like you said, it is a discussion board and people are here to have discussions, so is there a limit to how much something can be discussed? Do you even own this message board?
Thank you spin, came back to this thread and you take care of business :p

YoungHav

Banned
spindashing said:

:lol no I don't own it. I'm sayin' people can post 40+ pages of godly praise, I don't mind that. Nor should people mind contrary opinions. It's a message board, anyone can post whatever.

enzo_gt said:
You went back on your own little point you made. You come in this thread and tell anyone who remotely likes Ye a Kanye dick rider, and you've arguably been dick riding Jay this entire thread son. Your a hypocrite, and don't know what dick riding is when you do it.

If you don't care about match ups then don't make a point about Ye not being able to hang with Jay on tracks. Once again you went against your own logic. "If Jay wanted to kill it he could" makes you sound like he can go into super saiyan whenever he wants, but fails to, and has predominantly failed to all of these years. I wonder why that is? Oh right he's not Goku.

Pretty much, you came into this thread with preconceptions and made them facts. Who the fuck said MBDTF was better than Distant Relatives and How I Got Over? I think it's better than the two but I didn't come in this thread telling people they were objectively wrong if they liked Nas+Damien or The Roots over Yeezy. Cause it's not as black and white as you parade this to be. You act like the response to MBDTF was unanimously Thriller 2 kind of shit, it wasn't. Go back and actually read the MBDTF threads and we had legitimate, respectful discussions on why people didn't like it, and unless you posted "shit sux lololol" everyone was just cool with everything. And even if you did post such, KanyeGAF at least egged people to elaborate so they're not just trolling or posting for dramatic effect.

You inheritly have a problem with people liking Mr. West and refuse to respect others opinions except your own. Get off your high horse/Jay's dick and you'll realize no one else is riding dicks here.
LOL what are you talking about? What point did I go back on? Explain your logic. It's silly to say who is better than whom based on them being on the same tracks. At their peaks Kanye can't hold a candle to Jay, sorry. I've heard both their discographies repeatedly outside of 808 n Heartbreaks. Sorry to break the news, Jay is a superior MC and I don't think it's a remotely outlandish opinion to have. If people can come in here posting "fuck Jay-Z" I can counter that and vice versa. It's a message board, chill baby girl.

enzo_gt said:

And this ladies and gentlemen is how you put someone in their place.

YoungHav said:
:lol no I don't own it. I'm sayin' people can post 40+ pages of godly praise, I don't mind that. Nor should people mind contrary opinions. It's a message board, anyone can post whatever.

YoungHav said:
no, I don't care for that. I'm just saying I was expecting props but not a Thriller 2 reaction from the world. It's a message board, we have discussions. It shouldn't be 40+ pages of blind dickriding. Objectively, if even a third of people here actually listened to great music in their spare time they'll look back and realize they overhyped this release. I've read "z0mg! X Kanye song is fucking brilliant", then I listen to it and just laugh. Not meaning to rain on the parade but I just don't see it.

YoungHav said:

Are you serious?

YoungHav said:
there can't be contrary opinions on a message board?

Not when one person's views are conflicting. You misunderstood my previous post when I bolded your earlier posts to compare it to your most recent one. Earlier in the thread, as I bolded in my previous post, you said that a 40+ page praise for My Beautiful Dark Twisted fantasy shouldn't exist and that when you see such a thing, you have to "say something" about it.

Now, in your previous post, you said that a 40+ page praise for the album is fine and that you don't mind it.

That's why I asked if you were serious or if you're just trolling, because this situation is leading me to believe the latter.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
YoungHav said:

LOL what are you talking about? What point did I go back on? Explain your logic. It's silly to say who is better than whom based on them being on the same tracks. At their peaks Kanye can't hold a candle to Jay, sorry. I've heard both their discographies repeatedly outside of 808 n Heartbreaks. Sorry to break the news, Jay is a superior MC and I don't think it's a remotely outlandish opinion to have. If people can come in here posting "fuck Jay-Z" I can counter that and vice versa. It's a message board, chill baby girl.
Who said Kanye was better in his prime than Jigga? He wasn't, it's a universal fact. No one disagrees with that.

Your arguing "Jay-Z is a better MC because Kanye West sucks." That is the gist of and the breadth in terms of complexity of your argument. Were saying, we get you like Jay-Z over Kanye, and accept it, just don't be a dick about it. Toku saying Fuck Jay-Z has as much merit as your opinion of Jay-Z which doesn't make you somehow better since others aren't allowed to criticize your beloved Jay but that gives you free reign to put down Kanye. You can't see your own hypocrisy, and I'm not going to bother to explain it to you a fourth time.

Bishman

wenis said:
Damn the hatin' in this thread is too damn much :lol
Kanye West's verse on "Bring Me Down" said:
Since Pac passed away
Most you rappers don't even deserve a track from me
You see, if you ever wanted to ever be anything
There'd always be somebody that shoot down any dream
There'll always be haters, that's the way it is
Hater niggas marry hater bitches and have hater kids
But they're gonna have to take my life 'fore they take my drive
'cause when I was barely living, that's what kept me alive
40692897.gif

BP3 is a horrible album that no one will remember in a few years. DF is a pretty awesome album that will continue to impact the genre.

Jay-Z is one of the most content bankrupt rappers ever considered to be good. I'm not denying he has some good albums but come on. 3 hot albums in 15 years, I can divide.

methodman

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
BP3 is a horrible album that no one will remember in a few years. DF is a pretty awesome album that will continue to impact the genre.

Jay-Z is one of the most content bankrupt rappers ever considered to be good. I'm not denying he has some good albums but come on. 3 hot albums in 15 years, I can divide.
Agreed.

Nas won.

Jay is a great marketer of himself, he somehow duped people to believe he's the GOAT let alone a top 10 MC which is a laughable stretch. He has no classic albums, and is a poor man's Nature

Bread

Banned
Ken Masters said:
Jay is a great marketer of himself, he somehow duped people to believe he's the GOAT let alone a top 10 MC which is a laughable stretch. He has no classic albums, and is a poor man's Nature
41EFH96D7KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hm?

Bread said:

thanks cover art of the album that Jay kept repeating to everyone that RD was a classic, he said it enough times and people started to just believe it

when that album came no one believed it was anything more then a good album. Put RD against real classic like Illmatic, Ready to Die, Paid in Full, and it's Larry Holmes status

I've always thought Jay was overrated from the stuff I heard. But then again I thought Biggie was the most overrated rapper out there. Like just doesn't have many good songs imo. Though i once heard Jayz spitting live ion the radio and I gained respect for him. I just bought the movie Notorious, because I thought where Biggies excelled was having a huge large as life personality and I do find his story interesting. I think MBDF is really solid, but then again I enjoyed 808s and heartbreak.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Aika'svyse said:
I've always thought Jay was overrated from the stuff I heard. But then again I thought Biggie was the most overrated rapper out there. Like just doesn't have many good songs imo. Though i once heard Jayz spitting live ion the radio and I gained respect for him. I just bought the movie Notorious, because I thought where Biggies excelled was having a huge large as life personality and I do find his story interesting. I think MBDF is really solid, but then again I enjoyed 808s and heartbreak.
The amount of potential wars you've started in this post will tide us over until HAM on tuesday :lol

No one thought Reasonable Doubt was a classic until Jay-Z repeated it a million times. It's very good, but compared to OB4CL and other mafioso albums it's forgettable. Plus no one remembered that album after It Was Written dropped a few months later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom