• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verendus

Banned
Not listened to all of his album. But All of the Lights is a good song. I like the feel of it especially. I've heard the short version and the long version. The long version has its good parts. There's one verse in particular that is crap. Someone singing, "unemployment lines, credit card decline" and other stuff. Who is that? And why did they allow her into the song? She really doesn't fit.

As for remixes, I saw this one on youtube and I thought it was pretty good, although very different from the original. It has some nice concepts within it though from a sound perspective.

Pretty Lights - All of the Lights Remix

I also saw another version of All of the Lights which I thought had a nice intro. WARNING: DO NOT WATCH THE VIDEO IF YOU HAVE EPILEPSY!

Kanye West - All Of The Lights ft. Rihanna, Kid Cudi (Slow Intro)

It's a crap video so you're not missing anything. But listen to the first minute at least. Nice slow version introduction to the song I felt.

Fake edit: Just realised you've probably heard these before seeing how big this thread is. And I'm sure you all keep up with this kind of stuff. Can't hurt to repost again if you have, I guess.

AVclub

Ashhong said:
Seriously, lol @ all the comments about his singing. We all know its not good, but this is not indicative of his singings skill, or even the lack of.
Bullshit. Search for Michael Jackson reference tracks. That man could sing. Kanye is a writer and a troll. He's not great at rapping, he's terrible at singing, and he can't act or dance for shit. That track doesn't surprise me at all. Without effects to hide how aweful he is, the real Kanye shines through.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kam said:
Not listened to all of his album. But All of the Lights is a good song. I like the feel of it especially. I've heard the short version and the long version. The long version has its good parts. There's one verse in particular that is crap. Someone singing, "unemployment lines, credit card decline" and other stuff. Who is that? And why did they allow her into the song? She really doesn't fit.

As for remixes, I saw this one on youtube and I thought it was pretty good, although very different from the original. It has some nice concepts within it though from a sound perspective.

Pretty Lights - All of the Lights Remix

I also saw another version of All of the Lights which I thought had a nice intro. WARNING: DO NOT WATCH THE VIDEO IF YOU HAVE EPILEPSY!

Kanye West - All Of The Lights ft. Rihanna, Kid Cudi (Slow Intro)

It's a crap video so you're not missing anything. But listen to the first minute at least. Nice slow version introduction to the song I felt.

Fake edit: Just realised you've probably heard these before seeing how big this thread is. And I'm sure you all keep up with this kind of stuff. Can't hurt to repost again if you have, I guess.
The second one you linked is just the All of the Lights Interlude with Fergie's verse cut out, it's just a mix of the two that makes this video version.

This mix is so rough and all over the place, Weezy without the autotune would have made his verse much better. To be honest I expected the remix to have people flowing to the beat of the song nice, instead of people just spazzing on it. Feels like such a missed opportunity when you could have flowed to the drums and trumpets but instead everyone wants to go A Millie on this shit.

AVclub said:
Bullshit. Search for Michael Jackson reference tracks. That man could sing. Kanye is a writer and a troll. He's not great at rapping, he's terrible at singing, and he can't act or dance for shit. That track doesn't surprise me at all. Without effects to hide how aweful he is, the real Kanye shines through.
Way to miss the point. All you've proven is you don't know what a reference track is, or what it's for. When producers/rappers like Ye get ideas for songs they'll mumble the melody before they go through multiple iterations of the track to see where it can go. No one has to be singing their ass off to make a reference track to get graded on their singing abilities, if the purpose it to have a melody or to reference for whoever IS going in on it. Ye's pretty good at rapping, and he himself doesn't think hes a good singer, dancer or actor. Ye isn't a triple threat like MJ (wait MJ can act? :lol), because he's not MJ.

Not every reference track is completely done front to back for some other artist to just jack. Ye's work ethic is different, and thus he does his own hooks to rap around before he finds someone to go over them, or does them for real.

Equus Bellator Apex

AVclub said:

Are you angry?

Meier

enzo_gt said:
It's not really a secret since Vevo is streaming it live from 11:59pm on March 19th.

Teaser here.
Hence the usage of "secret." There is no real venue called the Vevo Power Station or the Power Station at all, so if anyone gets info on the actual location, etc., please share!

Oozer3993

Meier said:
If anyone finds out more about the SXSW "secret" show, PLEASE tell me. I'll give you my firstborn.

March 19th, 11:59PM, Seaholm Power Plant
(Downtown Austin) 214 West Avenue Austin, Texas 78701

Apparently it'll be free, you'll just have to RSVP. Details on how to RSVP are coming sometime this week.

AVclub

Equus Bellator Apex said:
Are you angry?
IIKeE.jpg

zychi

Banned
Max Armstrong said:
Remix wasn't very good, especially Wayne, but Drake's part was pretty nice. I'd love to hear Jay-Z at the end.
Incoming hate:

Ever since lollipop I can't take Wayne serious anymore. Once in awhile he'll surprise me with a good verse, but since he went "greatest rapper alive" he's been terrible imo.
Drake was never a "rapper" to me, but he's still terrible.
The whole.

dragggggggggging.

out...

words.

uh.

"Rhyming" of wayne, Nikki Minaj, and Drake irritates me. I still listen to their new stuff, so I don't completely hate them, I give them redemption chances, but rhyming "lights, flashlights, headlights, car-lights.....uh.....uh.....all of dem lights" just isn't good to me.
/end hate

i don't know why ye felt obligated to remix this song, if i ignore fergie it's one of the best songs on MBDTF. he doesn't normally remix his songs like this does he? he just lets other people do it iirc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
zychi said:
Incoming hate:

Ever since lollipop I can't take Wayne serious anymore. Once in awhile he'll surprise me with a good verse, but since he went "greatest rapper alive" he's been terrible imo.
Drake was never a "rapper" to me, but he's still terrible.
The whole.

dragggggggggging.

out...

words.

uh.

"Rhyming" of wayne, Nikki Minaj, and Drake irritates me
. I still listen to their new stuff, so I don't completely hate them, I give them redemption chances, but rhyming "lights, flashlights, headlights, car-lights.....uh.....uh.....all of dem lights" just isn't good to me.
/end hate

i don't know why ye felt obligated to remix this song, if i ignore fergie it's one of the best songs on MBDTF. he doesn't normally remix his songs like this does he? he just lets other people do it iirc.
th_troyface1avt.gif

Childish Gambino.

mileS

Equus Bellator Apex said:
Am I the only one here that finds Big Sean really cheesy?

His stuff is very hit or miss. I usually stop paying attention when hes rapping about fucking your girlfriend and shit. It's a shame 90% of the time thats all he raps about.

Smeghead

Remix was underwhelming considering who is on it, Lil Wayne has been wank since Tha Carter III.

So Far Gone was the best Drake has ever done and it's a mixtape. His new album was a bit hit and miss, there only a couple songs that are decent.
The guy seems to rap the same flow no matter what song he's on, switch it up a bit.

enzo_gt said:
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z82/music3k/th_troyface1avt.gif[IMG]

[SPOILER]Childish Gambino.[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]

[B]Fuck Drake[/B], and I love Childish Gambino. Just because he's a punchline rapper and his delivery is similar to Drake, doesn't mean I should like that no-personality hack.

[QUOTE=mileS]His stuff is very hit or miss. I usually stop paying attention when hes rapping about fucking your girlfriend and shit. It's a shame 90% of the time thats all he raps about.[/QUOTE]

I tried getting into Big Sean after hearing his contribution to the GOOD Friday track entitled [I]Looking For Trouble[/I] but Sean's stuff is boring. Delivery is sub-par and his lyrical content is nothing to shout about.

overcast

enzo_gt said:
th_troyface1avt.gif

Childish Gambino.
I like Childish Gambino a hell of a lot more than drake. Drake does not have that same energy I get from Gambino. Dude is much better to me, no contest.

I would say the best song on the album is so appalled or dark fantasy for sure. I know I'm a bit late to that discussion. Also Hell of a Life is fucking awesome, don't know how that could be at the bottom of the album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
spindashing said:
Fuck Drake, and I love Childish Gambino. Just because he's a punchline rapper and his delivery is similar to Drake, doesn't mean I should like that no-personality hack.
No personality? C'mon son, dude's a walking carousel.
tumblr_ld74t7lbWU1qeue3vo1_400.gif

I still think Drake is way more refined than Gambino. He can flow thoughts better, make more sense when he goes into spaz mode, sing (relatively) better and keep his delivery way more consistent too. Only thing Gambino got on him is the wittiness, and that's never been Drake's thing from the start. I guess Gambino does have a fair bit more energy, though. Really Gambino sounds like a love child between Drake and Wayne, which is weird considering Drake is the love child between Wayne and Kanye (and we're full circle!).

Meier

Oozer3993 said:
March 19th, 11:59PM, Seaholm Power Plant
(Downtown Austin) 214 West Avenue Austin, Texas 78701

Apparently it'll be free, you'll just have to RSVP. Details on how to RSVP are coming sometime this week.
Yeah I figured out the location.. awesome that'll be free. I hope it doesn't require a badge or wristband though. :( If you see any RSVP links, please PM me!

Ashhong

Really really loving the "remix" of the beat, especially during the intro behind the beginning of Weezy. Sounds great. But still, fuck you Wayne, you suck.

zychi

Banned
spindashing said:
Fuck Drake, and I love Childish Gambino. Just because he's a punchline rapper and his delivery is similar to Drake, doesn't mean I should like that no-personality hack.

I tried getting into Big Sean after hearing his contribution to the GOOD Friday track entitled Looking For Trouble but Sean's stuff is boring. Delivery is sub-par and his lyrical content is nothing to shout about.
I'm beginning to like this place more and more.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashhong said:
Does Drake give a shoutout to Cole at the end? Here's hoping for a surprise Cole feature...
Yeah I heard that and kind of thought it may've killed opportunity for a Cole feature, but I really want one, or just some collabos. Just suggested the same thing in the GAF-Hop thread.

How Yeezy can go around saying x, y and z artists are fresh but give the cole cold shoulder to J. Cole is just straight odd, especially considering how much Cole looks up to him.

kehs

Banned
This remix is shit.

Can this even be considered a remix? All the attenuation points are the same, just different people with different verses.

Ashhong

I like Drake when he goes a bit hard like in this remix. He has some emotion behind his rap and it sounds good. I think he does it in Over as well.

PBY

Banned
Ashhong said:
I like Drake when he goes a bit hard like in this remix. He has some emotion behind his rap and it sounds good. I think he does it in Over as well.
His original AOTL verse was even better, I don't understand why Ye didn't use it...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
blame space said:
Drake hate is kinda dumb
this is what I've been saying this entire time.

peterb0y said:
His original AOTL verse was even better, I don't understand why Ye didn't use it...
Completely agree. Y'all complain about Drake not being hype enough, that little Drake interlude was hype as fuck, especially considering the song was so anticipated at the time. Probably kept it out cause he had Wayne do the intro and wanted Drake to put in a full verse.

Listened again now and it's a bit better but Drake needs to stick to his own style and stop jumping in and out of different speeds of rhyming trying to get his Big Sean or Wayne style-on mid-verse. Also Big Sean ad libbing for an hour after his verse is annoying. But it does sound better listening to it more, hell I even like H.A.M. now, it's kind of a dirty pleasure and I gave the beat tons of shit when the song came out, but I like it now. If the Jay verse wasn't shit, it'd be a much better song.

I pray the final version is better than this though. Blind stan faith in Ye for all of this.

Listenin to Drake is bound to make a dude grow tits.

Baby Mamas/Soccer Moms can have that dude all they want, I'd rather listen to some hard shit, you feel me, Drake White-Knights?

Last track played on my iPod was some Corinne Bailey Rae. She goes hard in the paint.

Puddles

Banned
I did some Corinne Bailey Rae covers with a female jazz singer (me on guitar). Some of her chord progressions are pretty great.

Puddles said:
I did some Corinne Bailey Rae covers with a female jazz singer (me on guitar). Some of her chord progressions are pretty great.
That's pretty awesome. I'd love to see her live one day. Her voice is so precious.

Puddles

Banned
spindashing said:
That's pretty awesome. I'd love to see her live one day. Her voice is so precious.

She played at the Jisan Rock Festival in Korea last year. Great set. She's adorable and extremely talented.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Creeping around Twitter I find:
Word is that Kanye will be onstage promptly at 3 AM, so hurry over! #sxsw

Apparently it's at the "Power Plant"? *kanye shrug*

People trying to get into Ye show:
s2ygd.jpg

Trying to find a proper stream link now.

EDIT: Oh fuck, from VEVO apologizing on their blog.
We know we disappointed some of you and we feel terrible. We can only hope you understand: We were trying to be fair and trying to do the best for the fans. And, while it’s not the live event, and not quite the same as being there, we will be airing some of the show on VEVO at a date in the near future – so stay tuned.

I thought this shit was SUPPOSED to be streamed live? What the fuck?

EDIT2: Double oh fuck from the original announcement:
The event, presented by VEVO and exclusively sponsored by Chevrolet, will be available for on-demand viewing across the VEVO platform on April 22, which just so happens to be G.O.O.D. Friday.

:/

STANEDIT3: http://twitpic.com/4bcbzk
I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
wenis said:
I hear the riot was because of the Death From Above 1979 reunion.
Yeah, people were sneaking into Kanye's shit but it was never that serious.

Still, Kanye brought out a fucking marching band for All of the Lights, and even performed Christian Dior Denim Flow live. Full set:
Mos Def plays: “Oh No,” “World Premiere,” “Lord Lord Lord,” “Brooklyn in My Mind”‘ and “Casa Bey”
^^world premiere is the only new song

Pusha T plays: “Grindin’,” “What Happened to That Boy” and “My God”
^^no new songs

Big Sean plays: “Too Fake,” “Supa Dupa Lemonade” and “My Last”
^^no new songs

CyHi Da Prince plays: “Sideways”
^^no new songs

Mr. Hudson plays: “Love Never Dies (Back for the First Time)” and “Young Forever”
^^no new songs

Kid Cudi plays: “Mr. Rager,” “Memories,” “Day ‘N’ Night” and “Pursuit of Happiness”

“Dark Fantasy” – Kanye West and Justin Vernon
“Gorgeous” – Kanye West and Kid Cudi
“Hell of a Life” – Kanye West
“Can’t Tell Me Nothing” – Kanye West
“Christian Dior Denim Flow” – Kanye West, John Legend, Pusha T, Kid Cudi
“Blame Game” – Kanye West and John Legend
“Ordinary People” – John Legend
“Power”/”Say You Will” – Kanye West
“Runaway” – Kanye West and Pusha T
“All of the Lights” – Kanye West and a marching band
“H.A.M.” – Kanye West and Jay-Z
“Monster” – Kanye West and Jay-Z
“My Name is HOV” – Jay-Z
“So Appalled” – Kanye West and Jay-Z
“Big Pimpin’” – Jay-Z and Kanye West
“Lost in the World” – Kanye West and Justin Vernon
“Good Life” Kanye West

Stoked to see this in HD when its up on VEVO.

CRS

enzo_gt said:
Yeah, people were sneaking into Kanye's shit but it was never that serious.

Still, Kanye brought out a fucking marching band for All of the Lights, and even performed Christian Dior Denim Flow live. Full set:

Stoked to see this in HD when its up on VEVO.

FUCK. It would have been amazing to be there. Can't wait for the footage as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom