• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keep Your Wii Dust Free™ Use the BC to play awesome Gamecube Titles!

ToxicAdam

Also, forgive me GAF, I really couldn't get into Baten Kaitos Origins... :(

Yea, me either. I kept in plastic for 4 years, but eventually broke down and opened it to play. What a letdown that I couldn't get into it. I wish I kept it sealed.

The glorious Nintendo Gamecube. The things they did with it was amazing. Too bad it was overlooked because of the content, graphics and online play.

RawPower

Banned
Loved the Cube. This is why I hope I can get my Wii fixed (VC intact) without having to search my ass of for a Wii that still has backwards compatibility. BC is a must in the Wii U.

The glorious Nintendo Gamecube. The things they did with it was amazing. Too bad it was overlooked because of the content, graphics and online play.

What do you mean by content?

As regards graphics, Gamecube was not up to Xbox's levels, butI reckon it was hardly the reason why it was vastly overlooked, since that generation's leading platform by far was PS2, that wasn't exactly a power-house.

As for the on-line, yeah, but again neither PS2 back then was most focused on it as far as I know, unlike XBox that was ahead of its times under this aspect.

Rich!

I'd love to play more cube games, the problem is that around here its almost impossible to find cube games and importing its really expensive

At my old work (Blockbuster), they were selling them for 99p each.

I picked up Resident Evil 0 and REmake for 99p each. Also got a 256m memory card for 50p, and a Wavebird for £3.95.

They're not expensive, you just need to look for them.

Haunted

OP's avatar is supremely ugly.

Just sayin'

Solid lttp effort, though! Good job, ugly avatar OP.

Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest
Developers: Saru Brunei, Intelligent Systems
Publishers: Nintendo, Atlus Co.
jcBJq2XRa5IEG.jpg

Lost Kingdoms II
Developer: From Software
Publisher: Activision
jRH7aKtg42vLf.jpg

P.N.03
Developer: Capcom Production Studio 4
Publisher: Capcom
jcSR5teyUEnk8.jpg

These I've never played. Worth tracking any of them down?

illadelph

Some day, I will track down a copy of Kirby's Air Ride and find out what all the fuss over a 61 Metascore game is about.
The City Trial mode is one of the funnest multiplayer experiences out there. It has a very Smash Bros. feel to it (which makes sense, it's HAL)

-KRS-

But then how will my gamecube stay dust-free? :(

Yeah I actually have it hooked up right now even though I have a Wii. It's because I bought the GC Game Boy Player last year. So now I just keep it hooked up and if I feel like playing GC games I use the GC for that now again.

I didn't get a GC until late in it's life. I think it was at the end of 2004. The GC was the first console that I bought with my own money. My previous consoles had all been gifted to me as christmas presents. But at the end of 04 there was coupon in a newspaper that let you buy a black GC for around $80. No accessories or games, but I couldn't resist. I bought it and Wind Waker and a third party memory card (which broke after a year or so :p). It also turned out that the GC I got was one of those older versions with a digital out port. Apparently they had been sitting in that store for quite a while, because I believe they stopped making those in 2003. I've never used the digital out though.

I have an RGB cable for it and it's hooked up to a Sony Trinitron CRT, so it still looks amazing. I was recently replaying the Smash Bros. games for example and started with the N64 version (only have composite cables for that, and it's a PAL N64 to boot). Then when I put in Melee I was blown away by the picture quality. So fucking sharp compared to the blurry N64. And the gameplay also blew me away because after spending a couple of hours on the first Smash Bros., you really feel the changes they made with Melee. And it's all for the better. The first thing that became apparent was how damn quickly it moves compared to the N64 smash bros. Also the GC was the first console I got 4 controllers for, mainly because of Melee.

Because I got the GC so late, I was able to pick up some gems for very little. Like Zelda: Collector's Edition for 5 bucks. This was in the same store that I bought the GC in, though at a later date. Since they were not to be sold I assume they were leftovers from console bundles or something and they just wanted to get rid of them. Also at that store, after the Wii was released they sold original 251 block memory cards there for 5 bucks each. I picked up two of them. Still have one in shrink wrap.

There are still games I want for it though. Like the JRPGs that was released for it. I have ToS which I really enjoyed. But the Baten Kaitos games and Skies of Arcadia are still on my to buy list. Also, I don't have any of the Pikmin games and I'd like to buy Twilight Princess for it as well even though I have it for the Wii. And Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race... hell I don't even have F-Zero! I need to remedy this situation ASAP. After I got the Wii I basically stopped buying GC games.

/rant

When the Wii U comes out, will that make the GC a retro console? I sorta consider the N64 to be a retro console, and the GC is more than 10 years old now. But the types of games on it keeps me from really thinking of it as a retro console, because they still feel pretty modern.

Edit: shit I typed in way too much into a post once again. sorry :p

entremet

Speaking of which, I recall I found Double dash somehow underwhelming and boring until I eventually unlocked 250cc and 500 cc championships.

I think you mean 100 and 150cc. MK never had anything above 150cc. But you are right, since the SNES days, 150cc is where it is at anyway. 50cc is baby mode.

-Stranger-

Thinking of picking up Doshin The Giant, it's pretty cheap on ebay.
Anyone here played it?

I love the Gamecube, so many fond gaming memories on the cube.

fernoca

P.N.03 :)
Glad to see the game not been ignored.

Haunted said:
These I've never played. Worth tracking any of them down?
In the case of P.N.03, if you enjoyed the Mercenaries mode in Resident Evil 4/5; this is the precursor of that. Heck RE4 Mercenaries used music from P.N.03.

In some ways it's also a precursor to Bayonetta, with the sexy moves, leveling up, etc...much more simple since its a shooters first and foremost.

Story-wise is also quite simple, but the twist at the end is really good.

bdouble

I don't see me going a day without a Wii. Way too many games I want to play and way to versatile. The VC and BC is awesome.

GC was so beast

Melee - best local multiplayer of all time

F-Zero GX - best racing game of all time

Resident Evil 4 - overall best game of all time

Metroid Prime - overall 2nd best game of all time

imo obviously, but I think those would be tough to argue against.

gohanrage

I bought a WAVE BIRD Early into the Gamecubes life cycle. I put in these E2 batteries by energizer and I haven't had to change them. Baten Kiatos was the last gamecube game I put loads of time into and to this day the batteries in my wave bird still work

rjc571

Banned
A lot of those games are the exact opposite of awesome. You should trim out some of the fat.

Your genre labelling is off the mark as well. Kururin Squash and Monkey Ball are far from being puzzle games. They're arcade action games. Chibi Robo is an adventure game. It has zero platforming. Wario World isn't really a platformer either, it's more of a beat em up.

Whoa, didn't realize how old this thread is. I blame the new layout.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a used Wii last December primarily to play GC games, heh. Totally love it. Playing the hell out of F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime, Twilight Princess, and tons more.

Only bummer is that I tried playing Viewtiful Joe, but I hate using the stick, and the D-pad is so fucking tiny. Sucks, cause the game itself seems so cool.

ShadyJ

I recently emulated my copies of REmake and RE0 with Dolphin and my god do those games look gorgeous in 1080p..

rjc571

Banned
I recently emulated my copies of REmake and RE0 with Dolphin and my god do those games look gorgeous in 1080p..

The backgrounds are 2D though, so the only thing that benefits from Dolphin are the character models. You've effectively been drooling over 480p graphics that were being stretched to fill your screen.

Persona7

Banned
OP feel free to send me gift cards to aid in the purchase of gamecube games.

AND YEAH BEACH SPIKERS IS SO FUN. I am still waiting Sega.

VlRjAXP.gif

8SMsVMB.gif
2zD7DNY.gif

ShadyJ

The backgrounds are 2D though, so the only thing that benefits from Dolphin are the character models. You've effectively been drooling over 480p graphics that were being stretched to fill your screen.

Didn't matter, the pre rendered backgrounds with the added atmosphere was awesome.

Didn't have a gamecube so used my Wii to play like 20 gamecube games which when added to the over 90 Wii games I own easily makes the Wii my favorite system.

My favorites are definitely Killer 7 and the Baten Kaitos games. Which went great with the studios' later Wii efforts, Xenoblade, the No More Heroes games and Fragile Dreams. All of the games I listed are in my top ten.

In fact I still have to finish Paper Mario: TYD, Geist, P.N.03, the Lost Kingdom games and others. Add this to my insane Wii, DS and 3DS backlog and one can understand why the lack of Wii U games is good for me. In fact I may delay my planned PS3 purchase from this Christmas to the next.

Seik

Banned
It's one way to keep the dust off that's for sure.

But in my case I prefer playing them on the real thing, hooked with component cables, better IQ and no mandatory Wii OS to boot games.

Nice to see some Lost Kingdom love around here. I played this game a lot back then.

Still looks miles better on Dolphin. (As long as you play 4:3 though.)

rjc571

Banned
It's one way to keep the dust off that's for sure.

But in my case I prefer playing them on the real thing, hooked with component cables, better IQ and no mandatory Wii OS to boot games.

Nice to see some Lost Kingdom love around here. I played this game a lot back then.

Still looks miles better on Dolphin. (As long as you play 4:3 though.)

We'll have to agree to disagree. RE Zero and Remake look their best on a CRT SDTV with the backgrounds displayed in their native resolution.

Seik

Banned
We'll have to agree to disagree. RE Zero and Remake look their best on a CRT SDTV with the backgrounds displayed in their native resolution.

I can agree with you on this, anyway, nothing is better than playing on the real thing. :)

I'm just forcing myself to slowly forget CRTs, because it's a technology that's fading away.

The lesson I have learned today is that the GameCube was so radical.

And yet, is was so very derided in its time. Some people really missed out.

Top Bottom