• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keiji Inafune leaves Capcom, Jun Takeuchi Takes Over [Update 2: Ono On Impact P#446]

Cheerilee

Proven said:
So wait, I make a simple common spelling mistake, and everyone passes me over but a mod does it and you're all saying 'whatnow'?
People generally pay more attention to what you say when your name is red, and people would rather read three short words than three short sentences.

Just be glad that Y2Kev is better than that, and actually read your post.

Proven

Fimbulvetr said:
Umm, that's an actual word.
Just because people sometimes use 'their' instead of 'they're' or 'there', doesn't make it not a spelling mistake.

ruby_onix said:
People generally pay more attention to what you say when your name is red, and people would rather read three short words than three short sentences.

Just be glad that Y2Kev is better than that, and actually read your post.
Just trying to be funny (I'm definitely not funny).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm only an ass on Fridays.

I read the word and actually laughed pretty hard. I was thinking, you know, it kinda is true. People are always saying, "I wish I were..." or whatever after they fail miserably. So it can be subjunctive.

I think that structure is often more interesting than content sometimes, too. I'm weird like that.

And yes, I try to read every post carefully!

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Oh thank God. His hard-on for Western development was diverting all the blood from his head.

Capcom doesn't appear to be changing their focus, and I don't think Inafune leaving Capcom changes how he feels about the West.

So I don't see how this is a benefit for anyone involved.

Solune

Pureauthor said:
Capcom doesn't appear to be changing their focus, and I don't think Inafune leaving Capcom changes how he feels about the West.

People enjoy being blind and having a scapegoat.

Pureauthor said:

It benefits Takeuchi.

Now he can force co-op in to MML3.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
maybe it's best Takeuchi gets the promotion.

hopefully someone with anything resembling a creative spark will be promoted to his senior directorial role at Capcom again.

Pureauthor said:

Not having a mouthpiece that is constantly dragging down Japanese game development is already a good start, let alone a mouthpiece with some sort of authority at a leading company. You cannot belittle your fellow workforce but not give them a chance by shifting focus elsewhere.

RyuHayate

It's unfortunate to see him part ways, but hopefully he'll have the opportunity to reunite with is creative side in the near future without having to worry about "the big picture."

However, what I don't get is some of the uneasiness expressed by a few of you guys in regards to Takeuchi taking his place...

Y2Kev said:
I read the word and actually laughed pretty hard. I was thinking, you know, it kinda is true. People are always saying, "I wish I were..." or whatever after they fail miserably. So it can be subjunctive.

I thought you did that on purpose!

Redd

......I loved his Megaman Legends games. I hope Capcom can at least get him to help finish the third game.

Kaijima said:
The carnival of hate for Inafune is kind of pathetic. While the man became overly negative and emo in the last couple of years, GAF nonetheless blindly twisted his words around to indict him as an idiot. Inafune's comments about the Japanese development community are true - in a broad sense. Fanboys sputtered because of an implied insult to the minority of Japanese developers who are turning out quality product. But in the big picture, Japan is in the hole.

Inafune's one true epic error in judgement may have been the DmC debacle - which, if scuttlebut holds true, may have actually come about from a moron at Capcom USA taking advantage of Inafune's loss of faith in Japanese development.

But thanks to that, tons of tons of butthurt and whining fans can spin up a tale of Inafune's utter incompetence and how he's Capcom's Yuji Naka. Inafune accomplished more in his career at Capcom than guys like Naka ever did or could in theirs.

Instead of taking this news as an excuse for a vindictive circle jerk, people should snap out of it and realize it /is/ something that had to happen, but for the most part, it's just a shame that Inafune got to this point.

Given his mindset these days, it's entirely possible Inafune was no longer capable of dealing with a company with the size and entrenched nature of Capcom. Personally, I suspect his comments bemoaning the success of western developers were rooted partially in frustration with a feeling he couldn't get anything done himself. If Inafune moves to another company, perhaps a small developer that is more agile and eclectic than Capcom, he might become refreshed if he can experience some success that satisfies him.
Pretty much this.

There are those on Gaf who don't want to hear anything negative about Japan even if it comes from an ACTUAL Japanese dev whose been in the industry since before most of them were born and would, you know, HAVE first hand knowledge about the current state of Japan's gaming industry. They just can't face that Japan is a shell of it's former self. I mean, If it had been a forum-user saying the things he said, they would just call them a troll but the fact that it came from a Japanese dev was something they couldn't just ignore. So they got defensive and started calling Inafune talentless, crazy, etc...

Saw it this morning, but didn't have time to comment until I came home from work.

My first impression was pretty much, "Damn, he sure took getting last place hard"

But yeah, i don't know why there's so much hate for him. Yeah he's gone kinda cuckoo with Western Gaming, putting down the Japanese industry as a whole, but I guess the Capcom higher ups were really THAT bad. And after 23 years he just had it.

I really regret he had to do it before MML3's completion. It just doesn't seem proper for him to leave the company right in the middle of his "dream project" that he's been wanting to do forever. But I'm not really worried, since he was more of an overseeing producer. This isn't like Matsuno, the main guy doing the story and concept, leaving FFXII's development.

I do wonder about MM Universe, that was another big project of his, but it hasn't been getting a lot of positive reactions from fans. Wonder if it'll either drastically change development or even get canned?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So,

-Keiji Infune
-Shinji Mikami
-Hideki Kamiya

are gone. Who was the other guy (or guys?) that left Capcom? I'm sure I'm missing at least one more.

Henchmen21 said:
Pretty much this.

There are those on Gaf who don't want to hear anything negative about Japan even if it comes from an ACTUAL Japanese dev whose been in the industry since before most of them were born and would, you know, HAVE first hand knowledge about the current state of Japan's gaming industry. They just can't face that Japan is a shell of it's former self. I mean, If it had been a forum-user saying the things he said, they would just call them a troll but the fact that it came from a Japanese dev was something they couldn't just ignore. So they got defensive and started calling Inafune talentless, crazy, etc...

I don't think that's the only reason. Even if no one at Capcom said anything like Inafune has about westernization, a lot of people on NeoGAF have been unhappy with how Capcom has tried to implement those ideas (like with RE5 and DmC). Inafune making those comments just gave people a target for their venting.

Yazan

Oblivion said:
So,

-Keiji Infune
-Shinji Mikami
-Hideki Kamiya

are gone. Who was the other guy (or guys?) that left Capcom? I'm sure I'm missing at least one more.

Atsushi Inaba!!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yazan said:
What is he up to nowadays? Haven't heard his name in years.

he is with Game Republic , Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom later in November.

so yeah no one left from the old Capcom knights other than Ono I guess , Capcom is like a dead city now , it's just like SEGA but without a super tanned man.

[Nintex] said:
Jun Takeuchi was awesome as Resident Evil 4's tech guy, but he's just not very good at designing games when we look at Lost Planet 2 and Resident Evil 5.
And what makes you think he designed those games?

Oblivion said:
So,

-Keiji Infune
-Shinji Mikami
-Hideki Kamiya

Tokuro Fujiwara. Hiroki Kato. Hiroshi Shibata.

sublimit

Banned
Hopefully now it will be more easier for Capcom to greenlight the games that were previously deemed "too Japanese" by Inafune.

duckroll

Ganondorfo said:
At least the breath of fire people are still there and that is the most important thing.

Is Makoto Ikehara still at Capcom? He hasn't worked on anything for years now. He did scenario writing for both Lost Planet and Dead Rising four years ago, but he isn't involved with either of the sequels. He be gone too and no one would even know.

Oblivion said:
So,

-Keiji Infune
-Shinji Mikami
-Hideki Kamiya

So there's still that problem of brain drain at the director level, exacerbated by Takeuchi's taking the reins, (however one judges him).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
duckroll said:
Is Makoto Ikehara still at Capcom? He hasn't worked on anything for years now. He did scenario writing for both Lost Planet and Dead Rising four years ago, but he isn't involved with either of the sequels. He be gone too and no one would even know.

All I want is "Rei's adventures getting food for Ryu and Teepo: A Breath of Fire 3 tale" where you can actually control Rei's weretiger + a new Breath of Fire 6/mish-mash. :(

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ono tweeted that green lighting Fighting games will be harder now, Inafune understood fighting games... Takeuchi not so much.

This sucks.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Fersis said:
Ono tweeted that green lighting Fighting games will be harder now, Inafune understood fighting games... Takeuchi not so much.

This sucks.

This sucks cause the only fighting game they have left to do really is darkstalkers and I'd take darkstalkers before any of their other games... meh

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
QisTopTier said:
This sucks cause the only fighting game they have left to do really is darkstalkers and I'd take darkstalkers before any of their other games... meh
Repeat with me :
Capcom Vs SNK 3 one more time Capcom Vs mother effin SNK 3

cvxfreak

For me personally, Inafune lost me at, "We were more successful with Biohazard/Resident Evil. We made the lead character American and he speaks English."

That's just insultingly stupid and naive. Never once in the past 10 years did I or any Biohazard fan I know thank Capcom for making RE characters English-speaking Americans.

And then there's this piece of gold: "I’m always so shocked when I see global sales rankings. I think: Wow, Capcom’s ranked so low. However you approach it, we’re dead. Resident Evil sold 5 million copies. That’s still no good."

That's an insult to 99% videogames released.

[Nintex]

Fersis said:

This sucks.
Ono tweeted about this already? He's probably the next to go and then Takeuchi can claim the throne of the sinking ship for his own.

Top Bottom