• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keith Ellison announces bid for DNC chair, rolls out 40 endorsements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) on Monday formally launched his bid to become the next chairman of the Democratic National Committee, offering a show of strength by simultaneously releasing the endorsements of 40 elected officials, state party chairmen and labor leaders.

“Democrats win when we harness the power of everyday people and fight for the issues they care about,” Ellison said in a statement. “It is not enough for Democrats to ask for voters' support every two years. We must be with them through every lost paycheck, every tuition hike, and every time they are the victim of a hate crime. When voters know what Democrats stand for, we can improve the lives of all Americans.”

It was clear from the outset that he was a favorite for the position among liberal advocacy groups and lawmakers, including Sen. Bernie Sanders (Vt.), the runner-up in this year's Democratic presidential primaries.

But Ellison has also already won the backing of some establishment party figures, including outgoing Senate Minority Leader Harry M. Reid (Nev.), who announced his support on Sunday, and Reid’s expected successor, Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.).

On Monday, Ellison’s list of endorsers also included Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), Rep. Raúl Grijalva (D-Ariz.), Rep. G.K. Butterfield (D-N.C.), Rep. Joseph Crowley (D-N.Y.) and New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman (D).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-dnc-bid-official-rolls-out-40-endorsements/

dfa.jpg

Jeels

Need to see who is opposition is going to be, other than Howard Deen.

No more straight to anointment in the democratic party please.

Instro

That's the Pied Paper strategy that the DNC got pilloried over. Always, always, always try to paint the opposition by its worst high-profile members.

Yeah I was going to say isn't this the exact strategy we read about a few days ago?

Need to see who is opposition is going to be, other than Howard Deen.

No more straight to anointment in the democratic party please.

He's going to get this job unless something crazy happens. I still worry about him being a part-timer while holding office, but let's hope he hires people below him that can effectively run the organization by themselves if necessary.

Inuhanyou

Super excited about this, but I'd also be totally fine with Howard Dean as well. Good choices all around.

Eff no. No more corporate lobbyists. That is what the NEW democratic party has to expunge if they ever want to get people excited about electoral politics ever again.

If Keith has to quit the congress and work DNC chair full time, i fully support him on that. But NO MORE CORPORATE LOBBYISTS.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I know he is part of the House, but considering the gains there have to be, one seat vs. hundreds at state and federal level, I think he should go full time.

Anyway, may the best candidate win (although with that many endorsements, he might be the best one). Good luck, Dems.

MrNelson

Banned
Eff no. No more corporate lobbyists. That is what the NEW democratic party has to expunge if they ever want to get people excited about electoral politics ever again.

If Keith has to quit the congress and work DNC chair full time, i fully support him on that. But NO MORE CORPORATE LOBBYISTS.
Even though Dean got us Obama, the House, and the Senate during his time before being forced out?

Kimawolf

Eh I don't like this anointment stuff. Make him ,Dean, and whoever else compete for it and show who has the best plan. After all Dean has actually done this before, turning a republican house and senate democratic unless people forget.

So make him compete with everyone else. the anointment crap is what got you Hillary.

Zyae

Eh I don't like this anointment stuff. Make him ,Dean, and whoever else compete for it and show who has the best plan. After all Dean has actually done this before, turning a republican house and senate democratic unless people forget.

So make him compete with everyone else. the anointment crap is what got you Hillary.

Who said hes being anointed and not competing?

Codeblue

Love Ellison to death, but he's gonna need to explain who'll actually be running the show while he's out fighting Trump on damaging policy.

Would take Dean honestly, but at this point, I think he'd alienate too many progressives and put us in a "Bernie or bust" type situation, even if the idea that Dean is establishment is misguided.

Ideally, they could just co-chair.

Azzanadra

No one here is saying that he should automatically be chair though, we are just adding our voices to the support. You can't compare it with Hilary, there the media and the DNC both acted as if it was Clinton' coronation by not covering Sanders enough, leaking her the questions and so on.

Inuhanyou

Even though Dean got us Obama, the House, and the Senate during his time before being forced out?

The Dean right now is different from the Dean in 2004. Unfortunately he became a puppet of big insurance. And has been part of the same faction that was perfectly fine with pay to play corruption because 'it raised the money', not caring at all about the concerns average people had. Actively fighting against things like universal healthcare when he was previously for it ect.

We need a transition from overt reliance on corporate pay to play and high dollar fundraising to a strategy that does not take the eye off of grassroots organizing and the people's concerns at the lowest level.

Keith is a five term congressperson who has a significant share of his campaign donations built with individual small dollar donations the way Bernie did during the primaries, and has huge trust in his own district because he has forged coalitions on the ground. This is how the new Democratic party must be shaped. If you give people a reason to invest in you, they will support you.

His first test will be midterms.

Midterms are critical. Especially if they want to be in charge for redistricting in 2020.

I can't put faith in traditional political logic but typically voters balance the scales when one party controls the executive and legislative. So Democrats have that going for them in the House. The Senate, of course, is a lost cause.

kirblar

Who said hes being anointed and not competing?
He's got this locked before it starts.
The Dean right now is different from the Dean in 2004. Unfortunately he became a puppet of big insurance. And has been part of the same faction that was perfectly fine with pay to play corruption because 'it raised the money', not caring at all about the concerns average people had.

We need a transition from overt reliance on corporate pay to play and high dollar fundraising to a strategy that does not take the eye off of grassroots organizing and the people's concerns at the lowest level.

He is a five term congressperson who has a significant share of his campaign donations built with individual small dollar donations the way Bernie did during the primaries. This is how the new Democratic party must be shaped. If you give people a reason to invest in you, they will support you.
If working for a company is a DQ, 99.999% of the nation would be DQ'd.

If Dems get blown out in 2018 and 2020 I'm making Dean Howard my "could have been" al a Bernie Sanders 2016.

faisal233

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/on-ellison-at-the-dnc

I am a DNC Member from [REDACTED] and I will be voting on the next DNC Chair. I am responding to your recent post suggesting that Keith Ellison is a "done deal" as the next DNC Chair. I believe that this is a much more difficult choice than what you suggest.
While I supported Hillary Clinton in the primary, I was unhappy with the contemporaneous leadership of the DNC and agreed with some of the complaints many Democrats had about how Bernie Sanders was treated. I also believed that neither Debbie Wasserman Schultz or Tim Kaine (who preceded DWS as DNC Chair) had enough time to dedicate to the DNC -- they were Members of Congress, which is more than a full-time job.
In fact, when I ran for DNC, I earned the support of many Bernie supporters because I vowed to do what I can to ensure that our next DNC Chair did not have another full-time job. The DNC is too important to leave up to a part-timer, especially a sitting elected official who may have dozens of potential conflicts of interest.

I have spoken with a few other Clinton-supporting DNC Members around the country, and the general feeling is that the next Chair should not be a sitting elected official. Period. Full stop.

As background, some entire state DNC delegations, especially in the midwest, lost to Bernie supporters in the last DNC election. Virtually all of these new DNC Members were elected to support Bernie and other progressives at the DNC and, among other priorities, ensure that we had a new DNC Chair that was full-time.

Interestingly enough, it is the new Bernie-supporting DNC Members that may find themselves between a rock and a hard place. They are caught between supporting the Bernie-endorsed Keith Ellison and violating one of their major campaign pledges, or snubbing Bernie and voting for someone else for DNC Chair.

This puts my Bernie-supporting brothers and sisters in a very uncomfortable position, one that can only be resolved if Keith Ellison were to resign from Congress. I do not envy their situation.

Coronating Ellison. Let's see what's more important. Loyalty or principle.

Blader

He needs to resign his seat in Congress then.

I have no idea what his vision for rebuilding the party entails or whether or not he will embrace a 50-state strategy (this is a must), but whatever his plan, he needs to devote his full time and attention to it.

Inuhanyou

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/on-ellison-at-the-dnc

Coronating Ellison. Let's see what's more important. Loyalty or principle.

I'd rather Keith go up without a huge fight and let the party try and reform itself quickly and quietly, draining the swamp before Trump takes power, but if there has to be a fight, let there be a knock down, drag out fight.

I don't know how far the rabbit hole goes in regards to how the system currently is fixed, so who knows what could happen if he takes power, whatever bigger forces at work may be expecting from the new chairman. But i know that he's probably the best progressive shot to give the people back a chance at a legitimate governing party that has their interests over the needs of multinationals, and whoever else has their hand in their pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom