• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keith Ellison announces bid for DNC chair, rolls out 40 endorsements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would rather have Dean. I don't want a "rising star" congressman to have the role because of the potentual for them to use it as a stepping stone for their future ambitions, which is exactly what Debbie did.

Azzanadra

Dean is running for it too. Though he said he's not going to stop someone else from having the gig if they really want it.

Can they be co-chairs? Even though he is a corporatist, he gets results unlike Debbie and Brazile who are actually useless tools, but I would like Ellison to be the "face" of the DNC going forward.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Dean needs to win. Ellison is an unnecessary risk for 2018. He should go for it after 2018 if things don't go well then. They need to put all their efforts on 2018, and Ellison will become a distraction.

Blader

Can they be co-chairs? Even though he is a corporatist, he gets results unlike Debbie and Brazile who are actually useless tools, but I would like Ellison to be the "face" of the DNC going forward.

I'm sure it won't turn out that way, but I'd like to see them as co-chairs.

Going with Dean would show the Democratic Party had learned nothing from this disaster

The Democratic Party was in a similar disaster 11 years ago, and Dean turned it into two wave elections.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
For those who want to know more about Keith Ellison, NBC has a decent article up

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/201...-enters-race-dnc-chair-strong-support-n683751

Dean needs to win. Ellison is an unnecessary risk for 2018. He should go for it after 2018 if things don't go well then. They need to put all their efforts on 2018, and Ellison will become a distraction.

Going with a corperatist like Dean will show the people that the Democrats learned absolutely nothing at all.

That's all there is to say. One can't pretend they are for the people and be a corperatist who cares about their donors more than the citizen. This is common sense.

Some people need to get with the right priorities before its too late, that mindset got wrecked with this election and put Trump and his ilk as a direct threat in the global landscape for years to come, the folks who care more about corp fundraising and that kind of nonsense have no moral authority to make demands about how this party is restructured IMO.

The citizen doesn't want any of that crony capitalism, they want to hear about their own lives and a reason to support the party. They don't want to hear about how much democrats want to win or who they are willing to pay off to do so.

Having a lot of support already proves that atleast a portion of the democratic party knew they were wrong and went ahead anyway and are now trying to make up for that with an Ellison endorsement.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
For those who want to know more about Keith Ellison, NBC has a decent article up

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/201...-enters-race-dnc-chair-strong-support-n683751

Damn, he seems like a good candidate. Also, from the article:

Former DNC Chair Howard Dean has also expressed interest in the job, but said on MSNBC's Morning Joe Monday that it's "not something I'm going to push people out of the way for."

"I've already done this once. This is not something I have to do," Dean said.

I can sense Dean's passion for helping Dems get back on the legislative and executive branch.

Averon

Expecting Ellison, Dean, or anyone to swoop in and save the Dems in by 2018 is setting yourself up for massive disappointment. Whoever takes the DNC chair, you should still expect the Dems to have a rough election in 2018.

It is clear the DNC and Democratic infrastructure needs a massive overhaul, and that will take time.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Expecting Ellison, Dean, or anyone to swoop in and save the Dems in by 2018 is setting yourself up for massive disappointment. Whoever takes the DNC chair, you should still expect the Dems to have a rough election in 2018.

Definitely, but I hope at least for state level gains, or is that too much as well?

gogosox82

My only issue with people saying "do it fulltime or GTFO" is I think we need him in congress. We can't really afford to lose any progressives in house right now. I would be more ok with him stepping down as the co chair progressive caucus in the house. I'm sure someone else can take his spot and we won't lose too much.

i'm not sure going further left is the answer

The DNC chair doesn't effect policy. They basically just make sure that every candidate from the local to the federal level has the party support that they need, and distributes money to the campaigns they think need it/they can win.

XenodudeX

It is clear the DNC and Democratic infrastructure needs a massive overhaul, and that will take time.

Wouldn't be rough if democrats just fucking voted for fucking once. The country is going down the shitter and yet we're still complacent.

Wouldn't be rough if democrats just fucking voted for fucking once. The country is going down the shitter and yet we're still complacent.

Redistricting in 2010 made sure the republican seats are safe. Unless there's like a 10 point superwave, it's going to be just as worse in 2018.

Neoweee

Yeah, people are making DNC and the DNC chair to be wildly more powerful and important than it is. It matters, sure, but not that much.

I'm only going to vote when a once-in-a-generation comes to make me feel inspired.

U2NUMB

Coming from Minnesota I told many people around me a year ago or more.. we had Ventura.. everyone laughed at him and the power of being recognized is amazing. The people that come out to vote is amazing.. Keith saw it first hand and in that clip he called it.

Seems he would be a good pick for many reasons.

He seems to be rallying different people within the party, which is great. But he really needs to commit to doing it full time. If he can only do part time we'd honestly be better off with Dean. Corporatist hack or not.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the 2018 midterms. If Democrats were able to turn themselves around in 2004 for 2006, then maybe we can do the same now. Interestingly enough, the same map they have to defend in 2018 is the exact same map from 2006. They were even able to pick up six seats in the Senate, thirty seats in the House, six governorships, and flipped four state legislatures in their favor.

Difficult, but possible.

My only issue with people saying "do it fulltime or GTFO" is I think we need him in congress. We can't really afford to lose any progressives in house right now. I would be more ok with him stepping down as the co chair progressive caucus in the house. I'm sure someone else can take his spot and we won't lose too much.

Not gonna lie, having progressives in the House is nice, but... one Representative at this point is simply not crucial to legislating anything. A full-time DNC chair might be.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
He is an elected Rep.

The other question is can he actually organise anything.

Say what you will about Priebus but he was a full timer.

This is actually a question I've been having, is Priebus leaving the chair of the RNC? Or is he becoming part time? I'm hoping it dilutes the RNC leadership enough to weaken their chances in '18.

This is actually a question I've been having, is Priebus leaving the chair of the RNC? Or is he becoming part time? I'm hoping it dilutes the RNC leadership enough to weaken their chances in '18.
You can't be a part time WH Chief of Staff. Even full time consider Priebus has no governing experience. Neither does Trump. Neither does Steve Nazi. That is who is running the US executive.

Because experience is bad.

It doesn't matter though wrt the RNC. The RNC will be well resourced. And will probably be headed by a new full timer.

Indicate

From comments by
IronKnuckle2020 1 day ago

"I know there are a lot of NeoGAF members reading this page, doing some thinking. You should join a winning team, the Republican Party. The Democrats have been running NeoGAF for 15 years. The only thing they've accomplished is tons of bans."

LOL.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
^LOL. The new 'Amir0x is a *expletive*

You can't be a part time WH Chief of Staff. Even full time consider Priebus has no governing experience. Neither does Trump. Neither does Steve Nazi. That is who is running the US executive.

Because experience is bad.

It doesn't matter though wrt the RNC. The RNC will be well resourced. And will probably be headed by a new full timer.

Yeah. I just hope that Priebus was something of a golden goose for the RNC and they actually lose momentum because of his role as the Chief of Staff.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
He's a sitting congressman, DWS was a sitting congresswoman during her reign and I think Kaine was doing it part time too.

They really need to put a "Full time or GTFO" clause in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom