• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Ham puts colored lights on his ark in bid to ‘take back’ rainbows from gay people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn

Here is more on it:

No Rainbows a Sign of the Second Coming?

But yeah, its super weird to see real otherwise serious people talking about rainbows in such a way.

So when I see Ken Ham wanting to "take back the rainbow" doesn't surprise me at all, rainbows are serious business to people and they seem to seriously believe even though there was light, until god said so no rainbows happened.
Interesting read, there are very few Mormons here (Scotland) that's probably partly why I was unfamiliar

Does he know that the actually Hebrew translation for the "rainbow" is actually just "bow" and is most likely referring to the weapon? It was an ancient sign of peace to give the "bow" a weapon of war the the other - God gives Noah a bow as a sign of peace.

Acorn

dont be afraid to let your colors shine

show me yours and i'll show you mine
200_s.gif

Biske

Interesting read, there are very few Mormons here (Scotland) that's probably partly why I was unfamiliar

I'd be a little surprised if you came across it as just an average person even among a high populations. Usually the weirder and wackier stuff isn't what they pitch to try and convince new people.

I assume its much the same with any religion, or like with Scientology, you don't get all the fun Xenu stories right off the bat.

Does he know that the actually Hebrew translation for the "rainbow" is actually just "bow" and is most likely referring to the weapon? It was an ancient sign of peace to give the "bow" a weapon of war the the other - God gives Noah a bow as a sign of peace.

This is interesting, but it doesn't seem to contradict the story of Noah. I don't think him knowing this would have any effect on his beliefs.

Then again knowing that fossils exist doesn't seem to have any effect on his belief that the earth is 6000 years old.

Biske

This is interesting, but it doesn't seem to contradict the story of Noah. I don't think him knowing this would have any effect on his beliefs.

Then again knowing that fossils exist doesn't seem to have any effect on his belief that the earth is 6000 years old.

I had a friend who believed that the reason dinosaur fossils exist is because when god made the earth, he made it out of bits of other planets, and those planets happened to have dinosaurs.

I'm sure he does know this, and you should ask yourself what kind of "bow" would you expect to see "in the clouds" as referenced in Genesis? After a rain?

It doesn't contradict the "story" of Noah. But it invalidates the rainbow. There is no rainbow in the story of Noah, it's a weapon of war - a BOW.

I'm sure he does know this, and you should ask yourself what kind of "bow" would you expect to see "in the clouds" as referenced in Genesis?

I think you're mocking me, but I have the ANE research I can pull up somewhere if you want.

The sign in a bow in the sky is not unusual for ANE cultures when discussing Gods and war/peace.

PKrockin

Some people might be wondering how it's possible rainbows didn't exist before the flood. What, did light not refract somehow? Well I had extensive education in Kent Hovind (famed tax cheat) creationism seminars when I was about 12-15. If I recall correctly, his idea of the flood is that it didn't rain/storm before the flood. There were all sorts of springs everywhere, and something about a mist coming up from the ground. Most of the water was actually in underground channels and a translucent layer of ice over the atmosphere (I'm not kidding).

So uh, that's something. It would probably be fun to go back and watch those again, they were pretty out there.

If you want to see someone even Answers in Genesis called out for using discredited, terrible arguments, here it is, I found it on Youtube. Have a laugh at him blaming the teaching of evolution for teen pregnanc- oh shit part 1 is two and a half hours never mind.

Izuna

Banned
I hope more people attempt this. Just because it makes everything look more fabulous.

Can we help spread the news that the Ark is gay?

Xe4

Banned
well he's kind of got a point.

to paraphrase Dimitry Martin: "I've never seen a group of people claim the entire visible spectrum as a logo. Pretty greedy, gays."

the rainbow itself wasn't "designed"... - what a dumb hill to die on
But he thinks it was literally designed by god. I'm serious, dude is crazy.

Skux

This is about as effective as putting a bunch of swastika banners on your house and saying they're Buddhist symbols. People are going to get the wrong message lol

The Lamp

I mean, from a Christian sense, he's right, the rainbow was orginally a sign from God and then gays took it.

But whatever. As a man in a gay relationship, the rainbow is not something I care much about. Just let me keep my right to marry.

Haven't seen Noah or Evan Almighty but through osmosis I know the arc is to repopulate after the flood via copious amounts of incest. Thinking this bloke doesn't know how the birds and bees work if he's building a gay arc.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You know, when your statement sounds like it opposes freedom, peace and love, you sound like a super villain.

They should host a gay rave on that ark.

MazeHaze

Banned
Not surprising.

This is the same man who debated Bill Nye about creationism, and when Bill stated that Dinosaurs and humans never co-existed, Ken Ham said : "how do you know, were you there?" *smirks at crowd smugly like he just put Nye in check mate*

Pimpbaa

There is pink in that rainbow on the ark, that color doesn't exist in a real rainbow! He can't even get that right.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
if i was gay and an amazing event plaanner, i woul plan the most amazing and filthy gay disco right in front of that thing and make sure there was ludicrous amounts of mdma around so lots of scantily clad gay dudes would be drawn to the amazing and beautiful light show, then film it and troll the boat guy.

sinkfla87

#WarOnRainbows

Maybe it's all one big plot twist, Ken. Maybe God was letting Noah know that now he had destroyed all the haters they could finally be together!

Maybe its a just a mormon thing.

But everyone mormon I've ever known took it this way:

After the Flood, god put a rainbow in the heavens to show hes not going to do that again, its cool.

Then they took it a step further with, when you don't see rainbows anymore... gods gonna wreck things again.

Now there are plenty of teachings you hear about in church or in seminary school as a teenager, that are super common and people say, but aren't really nailed down, kind of like the whole "God lives on a planet called Kolob" or "when you die if you are good and get to the best kingdom you get to be a god and have your own planet" but they arent very clearly written down in many places, partly because I think even the church realizes they are patently ridiculous and wanna avoid that bad PR.

But here: Talking about the 2nd coming
It's....pretty complicated to be honest. It's like trying to explain Calculus to a 1st grader. There are some things you just don't tell someone till they are ready.

Also, not exactly true on the planet part. But this is neither the time nor place for it haha.

Its sad that a dude like this feels any reason to "Take anything back" from anyone. Why these sort of people still give a shit who someone wants to love is beyond my understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom