• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kenji Eno's D: The Game Available for Steam Today

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSL0IUAvzHY

http://store.steampowered.com/app/510590/

The story begins in 1997. It's the dead of night in the city of Los Angeles, and there has been a mass murder at a general hospital on the outskirts of downtown. The perpetrator is the director of the hospital, Richter Harris. He has shut himself up in the hospital and taken a number of patients as hostages, leaving the police helpless and unable to move in. Richter's only daughter, Laura Harris, after hearing the situation, rushes to Los Angeles from San Francisco, and drives alone to the tragic scene at the hospital ground. Upon entering the hospital Laura finds herself transported to an old mansion, while the disembodied voice of her father pleads with her to leave. Nevertheless she must press forward to save her father and herself.

BB8.gif

This game brings back so many memories.

Tiops

Holy shit, this game scared the fuck out of me as a child. That logo alone gave me chills. I need to play it again (again as actually play, not hide behind a couch while my older brother playedi t).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll be honest, the first D I think is only okay, but I'll definitely be picking it up. It does have its charms, but I never thought it was anything too special by itself.

However, I do love it for the creator and his other work, and what D set into motion. In the picture of the whole of Kenji Eno's games, I think it's absolutely fascinating. Though I hope Enemy Zero and D2 come to Steam & GOG, as in my opinion those were much better and more interesting games made by him I would love to play again (they're not perfect, but there's nothing else like them).

While nice to have D on Steam now, I hope this is a sign of things to come and not just only being D on Steam. I also will add Kenji Eno has a place in my heart as one of my biggest inspirations as a small game creator, I'm sad anytime I remember he's passed away. He was truly one of the most imaginative and creative game director's out there, and though his games had their flaws, there is nothing else like them and I enjoyed every one (even D, which is my least favorite and I think only 'alright'). I'm happy his oddball games have grown into something of a cult legacy and not been forgotten, especially his 'D Trilogy'.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I hope they can get D2 and E0 on Steam too some day.

Enemy Zero could in theory be brought to Steam since it had a PC version released back in the day. D2 would be much trickier given that it was only released for the Dreamcast.

jack....

I thought this game was kinda not great in 1995 and I can't imagine it's aged very well. Less than 2 hours long and no saving.

Sorcerer

I hope they can get D2 and E0 on Steam too some day.

E0 shouldn't be too hard, I believe the PC port is actually uncensored.

D2 never had a pc port so I have less hope for this one. Would love one though as I always wanted a version of the game without switching out 4 disks.
If it does come please give us the uncensored version.

I would love a port of Real Sound as I never got to play that one. That one should be easy as there are no graphics, just a translation to English if possible.

Karyyk

Neo Member
I'll likely pick this up (I have no control when it comes to Steam ports).

I actually had this on the 3DO of all systems, then got really hyped-up over the then 3DO M2-exclusive sequel (D2). I really loved D2 on the Dreamcast (easily my favorite Kenji Eno game), but I would have really liked to see that M2 version in some form. It seemed to be unrelated to the Dreammcast game (other than the plane crash, at some point).

BOTEC

Kinda unrelated but anyone know what's going on with kakexun?

I think it's dead in the water. Their last crowdfunding campaign failed to meet its goal, and they've been radio silent to backers since March of last year. Even the "official" WARP2 messageboard is dead, with the latest post dating back to October 2014.

Damn, I forgot HVGN existed. I wonder what he's up to now.
He retired the HVGN character long ago. He opened a patreon and changed names to StopSkeletonsFromFighting. He made it more his own thing and churns out content way more quickly now than he did back then.

Still as insightful as ever but without the HVGN chains.

Look him up in YouTube.

pmj

Bought. I doubt I'll ever play this again, because I worry about how it'll hold up, but I'll happily give the creator a few bucks for the good memories.

Sunday

Neo Member
Loved this game.

I still have my copies of D (Saturn), Enemy Zero (Saturn) and D2 (Dreamcast).

If only these games were updated in VR and with modern HD graphics.

Exploring D's mansion, the Aki or the Canadian Mountains in full 360 VR would be awesome.

Kenji Eno was truly ahead of his time

Top Bottom