• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kermit.gif: Dragon Quest Press Event in Japan [DQIX = 28/3, 5980yen, DQX = Wii]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
LiquidSwords said:
Although I'm excited that DQX is in development, I'll be super sad if it's technically inferior in any way to DQ8. Hopefully they'll just re-purpose that engine at least?

Seriously, if both 9 and 10 end up regressing graphically....that's just so sad.

Why would it be technically inferior? The GameCube was more powerful than the PS2. Thus, the Wii is easily more powerful than the PS2 then.

EmCeeGramr said:
GRUDGE-FUCKING
When winning just isn't enough.
se9hso.jpg

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
LiquidSwords said:
Although I'm excited that DQX is in development, I'll be super sad if it's technically inferior in any way to DQ8. Hopefully they'll just re-purpose that engine at least?

Seriously, if both 9 and 10 end up regressing graphically....that's just so sad.
Try harder with your trolling please.

Teknoman

Ydahs said:
This is SE. This is DQ. SE will obviously push the Wii graphically and put some effort, unlike other developers. I'll be really surprised if it doesn't look much better than DQ8.

Besides, look how good MH3 looks. A good budget = a good looking game.

Oh it will. Dunno where some people come out of left field with the idea that the Wii is somehow weaker than the PS2.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Is it too much to hope for a built-from-the-ground-up engine just for the Wii, or will we likely see just the DQVIII engine slightly optimised?

Level 5 are tech wizards so I can imagine they could make this the Wiis best looking game next to Galaxy (or better) if they wanted.

Jirotrom

Byakuya769 said:
what the hell? DQ is not popular in the west, is it really that crazy that they are developing it for the system that has the most units in Japan (and the world too).. quit crying. To the Sony fans whining about this, did you even play DQ or are you just keeping track of exclusives?

Also, to the people laughing at the aforementioned Sony fans... same question goes to you.

Anyway, I hope it comes out pretty soon!
i have no idea why sony fans are winning i thought its been obvious where the next DQ would go, to top it off havent the majority of them been on Nintendo systems anyway.

Dragon Quest should be simple enough in the graphics department, re-use the 8 engine + AA and it'll at least look decent in HD...

I disliked 8 and the art style but the colors and environments were quite nice.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
schuelma said:
I think the impact is going to be from the actual announcement, as you said. I doubt X hits for a long time, but I think this announcement might lead to more 3rd parties fully coming on board. DS sure seemed to really explode 3rd party wise after the DQ 9 announcement..
The timing is definitely a factor. The Wii needs the boost in terms of support for sure, though I suppose any developer waiting for an announcement like this one was probably waiting for someone to confirm something everyone knew was probably going to be the case. UNLESS they put DQ on the DS again. But I feel like there is this sentiment that DQ9 on a handheld was a deviation from the norm or something and it would be "corrected."

Teknoman said:
What? The Cube was a good deal stronger than the PS2...and the Wii is a bit stronger than the Cube, so where are you getting that thought pattern from?

I think it's a valid concern. Have any of S-E's Wii projects to date matched the visual quality of the best PS2 stuff (FFX, XII, VP)? Not to say that it's the fault of the hardware, but unless Level 5 is working on DQX who knows if it will look up to DQ8's level of polish.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wow some people are already in the depression phase. Impressive.

Teknoman

Witchfinder General said:
Is it too much to hope for a built-from-the-ground-up engine just for the Wii, or will we likely see just the DQVIII engine slightly optimised?

Level 5 are tech wizards so I can imagine they could make this the Wiis best looking game next to Galaxy (or better) if they wanted.

A new Wii ground up engine or improved VIII engine with progressive scan would look excellent either way.

Pojo

Banned
Teknoman said:
What? The Cube was a good deal stronger than the PS2...and the Wii is a bit stronger than the Cube, so where are you getting that thought pattern from?
Everything that comes out on the Wii that doesn't benefit from the controls shouldn't be released on the Wii because the technology is vastly inferior. It's quite simple.

But we haven't seen what gameplay changes they've made to X, so I'll wait and see. Though I don't want anything too radical.

Initial meltdown finished.

Kyoufu

Looks like my Wii is going to get some SERIOUS playtime. MH3, DQX and Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

FUCK YEAH!

I hope DQX makes improvements on VIII. Faster battles please!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Byakuya769 said:
what the hell? DQ is not popular in the west, is it really that crazy that they are developing it for the system that has the most units in Japan (and the world too).. quit crying. To the Sony fans whining about this, did you even play DQ or are you just keeping track of exclusives?

Also, to the people laughing at the aforementioned Sony fans... same question goes to you.

Anyway, I hope it comes out pretty soon!

As a Sony fan, I am some what saddened that it isn't coming out of my console.

As a SquareEnix fan, I am very happy that DQ10 is already on the pre-production stage (hopefully further).

As a Gaffer, I am laughing my ass off at people complaining that it is going to the Wii.

LiquidSwords said:
I think it's a valid concern. Have any of S-E's Wii projects to date matched the visual quality of the best PS2 stuff (FFX, XII, VP)? Not to say that it's the fault of the hardware, but unless Level 5 is working on DQX who knows if it will look up to DQ8's level of polish.
There hasn't been any notable Wii SE titles to look at. I'm sure DQX will look spectacular.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Y2Kev said:
The timing is definitely a factor. The Wii needs the boost in terms of support for sure, though I suppose any developer waiting for an announcement like this one was probably waiting for someone to confirm something everyone knew was probably going to be the case. UNLESS they put DQ on the DS again. But I feel like there is this sentiment that DQ9 on a handheld was a deviation from the norm or something and it would be "corrected."

I think it could also *potentially* just get more "core" gamers to start buying the system in anticipation (along with MH3)

Ydahs

14:51 Before the end of 10 minutes. なんだかいろいろと撮影するものがあったので写真撮影してました。 It's kind of different because of the shooting and were photographed. 今から順次アップ予定です。 Will be up sequentially from now. もうしばらくお待ちを。 It will be soon.

Teknoman

LiquidSwords said:

Well S-E hasnt made any high profile titles for the Wii, which are usually its better looking titles.

Dragon Quest X will look and sound great no matter what. Now its just a matter of waiting.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So when can we expect some meltdowns? Or they just gonna cling to their DQ8 copies and their PS2's?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Awesome news, and right before I was going to bed!

If they can make this look at least as good as DQVIII, I'll be more than happy. Even still, it's fucking Dragon Quest. This, my friends, is the Wii Megaton. DQIX may have been the grudgefucking, but this news is equivalent to raping the corpse of the "HD generation" after the fact.

Zoe

Ydahs said:
14:51 Before the end of 10 minutes. なんだかいろいろと撮影するものがあったので写真撮影してました。 It's kind of different because of the shooting and were photographed. 今から順次アップ予定です。 Will be up sequentially from now. もうしばらくお待ちを。 It will be soon.

It's been over for 10 minutes. They're in the process of uploading all the pics they took.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
schuelma said:
I think it could also *potentially* just get more "core" gamers to start buying the system in anticipation (along with MH3)
I don't usually read the sales threads unless a game I'm interested in is being tracked, but has that been in issue in Japan?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Y2Kev said:
I don't usually read the sales threads unless a game I'm interested in is being tracked, but has that been in issue in Japan?

I'd say so- a decent amount of somewhat quality 3rd party software has tanked pretty hard on Wii. Nintendo games and higher profile 3rd party stuff (ToS, RE:UC, DQ:S) have done well, but the lower profile stuff hasn't fared very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom