• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Hart to those offended by his 1 year old son's Cowboys and Indians B-Day party

dolabla

Finally someone who tells these always offended/miserable social media losers to frick off: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...irthday-party-isnt-racial-slur-222221231.html

Kevin Hart is not backing down from his defense of giving 1-year-old son Kenzo a cowboys-and-Indians-themed birthday party earlier this month.

He addressed the backlash he faced on Wednesday on his SiriusXM show, “Straight from the Hart,” and let’s just say he didn’t apologize to those who felt the party was culturally insensitive.

Instead, he argued that he’d played the game when he was growing up.

“As a kid, when you played these games, it was based off of the premise from a hypothetical place that was put into perception for movies,” Hart said. “What I’m saying is this isn’t something that just started. This isn’t a racial slur that people are doing or being malicious with. This is a game that’s been played for years.”

He also described how he came across the negative comments, through the help of his wife, Eniko Parrish.

“She posts this picture, and the next day there’s a lot of flak,” Hart said. “You know, I don’t go on this s***; I don’t read none of that, so she tells me. She’s like, ‘Yo, come look at this dumb s*** on TMZ. People are complaining about the cowboys-and-Indians party, saying it’s insensitive.’”

Hart added that the Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Redskins happened to be playing the same day as the party.

“The reason why I’m even bringing this dumb s*** up is because it shows just how stupid our world is becoming with opinions,” Hart said. “People are at a point of an all-time high. To throw racial judgment into the development of a 1-year-old’s birthday party where the theme is cowboys and Indians? It’s based around the outfits that are given to the young kids!”

Then a co-host pointed to a comment equating the party theme to one based on the relationship between slaves and slave owners.

“If you don’t think there’s neighborhoods where they play that game in certain white neighborhoods, then you’re a f***ing idiot,” Hart answered. “You don’t think they had dumbass games like that? As a kid, do we play cops and robbers? As a kid, did you play cowboys and Indians? When you were a child, if you go to stores, you go to look at paraphernalia. To be a cowboy, you’re buying boots, you’re buying a gun, you’re buying a hat. Some even had a lasso.”

As a Native, I’ve never been offended by this. Are Natives even offended by this? Did you even ask us? Did you just assume we cared?

Good for you Kevin. Tell them to kindly fuck off.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Good for him. People need to mind their own business or find new hobbies besides getting outraged at everything they can think of.

gioGAF

Good to hear. I'm glad he didn't back down to these idiots and issue an apology like many other cowards. Frankly, those that were offended can f** off.

“The reason why I’m even bringing this dumb s*** up is because it shows just how stupid our world is becoming with opinions”

haxan7

Banned
As a Native, I’ve never been offended by this. Are Natives even offended by this? Did you even ask us? Did you just assume we cared?

My first thought reading the OP was: I bet Native Americans don't really care about this and it's just (predominantly) white people playing the Offended Olympics.

Yep.

My first thought reading the OP was: I bet Native Americans don't really care about this and it's just (predominantly) white people playing the Offended Olympics.

Yep.
Interesting isn’t it that the same people who command others to stay in their lane, can not stay in their own lane

TTOOLL

I identify as both Indian and Cowboy (Indian from Mon to Thu and Cowboy from Fri to Sun) and I DID NOT feel offended by this party.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I have no idea how imitation being a form of flattery got turned into imitation being a form of abuse.

I’m guessing it spawned from the whole negativity of black face thing in America.

dolabla

Yep.

Yep, most of the time it is.

Like Satan's said, these weirdos are offended on your behalf. They sit on Twitter and other social media platforms all day looking for anything and everything to jump on. Some serious screwed up individuals. This is why I'll never get why any company or person apologizes to these mentally deranged idiots. You never apologize to them. At least Kevin Hart told them to shove it.

quickwhips

Remember when they were making Chris hensworth apologize last year? It’s halloween get over it. I hope people on the internet can learn to get past this shit someday.

caffeware

Banned
As a Native, I’ve never been offended by this.
631746.jpg

Bogey

Banned
Remember when they were making Chris hensworth apologize last year? It’s halloween get over it. I hope people on the internet can learn to get past this shit someday.

It probably won't.

I think this culture of taking offense is more related to a sense of power, community, and feeling important.

It's people trying to have control over what others do, say, even think (power). It's having your voice heard, and many people in your bubble agreeing to you (feeling important). It's having a large collective of people doing and thinking similarly (community).

So yea, I think it's mostly a way for many simpleton to get these things white easily and effortlessly, presumably when other achievements are lacking in life.

odhin

Good to hear. I'm glad he didn't back down to these idiots and issue an apology like many other cowards. Frankly, those that were offended can f** off.

Exactly!

Alot of people who get criticized and demonized by this type of situations (social media freakouts about nothing) always issue a apology when they are not in the wrong at all, and they know it.

And this is a big problem, because it makes this type of ridiculous outbursts happen more and more often. Especially when its most celebrities that bend the knee to this crazy insults and allegations.

Senior

Neo Member

That's the issues these days. For some stupid reason, people feel the need to be offended on behalf of others for the sole purpose of getting attention from their peers.

This reminds me of the opening of Spiderman Man Homecoming when Keaton's work colleague reminds him not to call them Indians or something. Then we had that teacher who kept reminding the viewer.....no sorry the students not to use so called cultural appropriation. Yawn.

olimariOA

Banned
If the entire twitter crybully mob boycotts Kevin he'll still fill stadiums and make millions.
Not sure why companies cater to this loud insatiable minority.

I don't care if people are into my culture or dress up in some traditional garb. I can take a joke and these kids were having fun. Are they saying black people can't be native americans or cowboys? Hmm?

SolidJungle

Neo Member
I don't care if people are into my culture or dress up in some traditional garb. I can take a joke and these kids were having fun. Are they saying black people can't be native americans or cowboys? Hmm?
I guess they're saying that only American Indians can dress in their particular clothing

Neon Noire

Banned
I don't give a shit what parties he throws but to deny cowboys and indians is anything but a celebration of the most despicable parts of history is kinda ridiculous. And his justification for it is even dumber.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't give a shit what parties he throws but to deny cowboys and indians is anything but a celebration of the most despicable parts of history is kinda ridiculous. And his justification for it is even dumber.

Keep on that virtue signalling! Curious, have you ever asked natives what they thought about the "cowboys and indians" stuff? I have and the vast, vast majority DGAF.

Neon Noire

Banned
Woah you interviewed the better part of 5.2 million people? Must have taken a hell of a toll. You're honestly breaking records.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s just cowboys and Indians what boy didn’t grow up with them? That being said, Kevin is a celeb and should know they will find any sort of dirt they can on him. Should make for a good joke

#Phonepunk#

Banned
cowboys and indians are kind of an American folk thing. yes, the reality was violent and bloody, nobody is denying that. if you haven't noticed, most of culture is some kind of roleplaying of violent fantasies. Assassin's Creed is all about pretending to kill people across history. football is about sacrificing dozens of bodies and having them run into each other in warlike fashion repeatedly for hours. cowboys and indians was a thing, it was in tons of movies, it still is. not just movies, books, tv shows, videogames, etc. this is because it was a thing that happened. reality influences media.

we all enjoy media & culture for different reasons. is celebrating the violence the sole purpose of any of these traditions? no, in sports we have the score, we have the pagentry, the strategy, the entertaining feats of physical endurance, the beer commercials. in video games we have the graphics, the sound, the world design, the UI, the online/MMO elements, etc.

watch a popular western movie, then see how much of the running time is taken up in violent conflict between the cowboys and indians. tbh it is not that much. that is not why western films became popular. they became popular because of the romantication, the exciting lawlessness of the frontier, the noir-ish blurring of the lines between good and evil, the haunting large, open landscapes. highly esteemed filmmakers like John Ford captured the sweeping vistas that, accompanied with old fashioned movie love stories, made the genre a success.

d055824147a0513e63fc8d78ff866819.jpg

yes, Native American genocide was (and still is, mind you, this won't go away by ignoring the past) very real and very bad. im sure he told his kid about it, and that these parents used this as a learning opportunity. rather than censor it, it is better to look and learn from the past. i recommend watching Reel Injun (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reel_Injun). it is a documentary made by a Cree filmmaker that tells the real story of NA actors in the old film westerns, how they were exploited, and also how they would sneak in jokes at the expense of their ignorant oppressors.

Last edited:
Just imagine, in another couple hundred years people might throw their kids "SJW vs. Nazi" parties where everybody either dyes their hair blue or joins the SS and then they play games like Name that Dogwhistle. Man I was born in the wrong century...

quickwhips

Do you think people think that when kids play cowboys and Indians? Or cops and robbers?

Kenpachii

Just imagine, in another couple hundred years people might throw their kids "SJW vs. Nazi" parties where everybody either dyes their hair blue or joins the SS and then they play games like Name that Dogwhistle. Man I was born in the wrong century...

Already happens its called battlefield 5.

To be honest; I don't really see it as racism.

You not being able to do something because you do not fit x race = racisme. Which is exactly that. You either ban it for all or you allow it for all.

Anyway, i see no issue with cowboy and indian. If it offends you then don't attend the party simple as that.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
It’s just woke whiteys making a big deal out of this stuff. That said this kind of thing is a very bold move from Mr. Hart, very bold indeed, much like naming your son Kenzo.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I loved dressing up as a cowboy when I was a kid to school dress up balls. Then one time my mom made me be an Indian. Man was I pissed.

kingbean

I'm partial native but one side of my family is full Inuit and they don't give a shit. They don't care to be called Indians because they're not from India. lol

I'm partial native but one side of my family is full Inuit and they don't give a shit. They don't care to be called Indians because they're not from India. lol

I’m not meaning to sound shitty or racist Gaf but it seems that the majority of those outraged are White people with smart phones lol. That they are trying to be co signers to others outrage but the others aren’t even willing to sign in the first place.

There is a huge difference between someone supporting your fight and someone highjacking your fight. However that’s not a good way to say it because it’s not a issue we are attempting to fight in the first place.

White guilt + internet = Pc People... imo

A lot of the Native American issues you hear about like Washington Redskins or Indian Halloween costumes aren’t on any Native American minds. Unless there has been new poll I haven’t seen.

Actual issues that are important like conditions on reservations never seem to make anyone’s twitter feed smh. You know, actual complex issues that can’t be solved be simply shaking at a keyboard or doxxing another twitter user.

haxan7

Banned
I’m not meaning to sound shitty or racist Gaf but it seems that the majority of those outraged are White people with smart phones lol. That they are trying to be co signers to others outrage but the others aren’t even willing to sign in the first place.

There is a huge difference between someone supporting your fight and someone highjacking your fight. However that’s not a good way to say it because it’s not a issue we are attempting to fight in the first place.

White guilt + internet = Pc People... imo

A lot of the Native American issues you hear about like Washington Redskins or Indian Halloween costumes aren’t on any Native American minds. Unless there has been new poll I haven’t seen.

Actual issues that are important like conditions on reservations never seem to make anyone’s twitter feed smh. You know, actual complex issues that can’t be solved be simply shaking at a keyboard or doxxing another twitter user.

You are exactly right my friend. I see this day in and day out. I'm 100% white, but cynical and have a rebellious streak. So I can smell this kind of behavior in people a mile away, and it's extremely common these days.

I would even go one step further and say this is how they hang onto their own privilege (whether they consciously realize it or not). White politically correct people ostensibly concerned about others' well-being and vocal about it create their own class. You can't be a part of their class unless you're willing to shout from the rooftops how much you care about not offending minorities or any protected class. The more you do, the cooler you get.

Top Bottom